Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

Practice and build your skills when you're young

I started playing at about 27, so I've always been doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Grabbed a premium Spotify account today, I listened to all of "Tales" today while planting some flowers. I actually found a post on the prog-rock subreddit that gave a theory/evidence that Jon's lyrics are trying to sum up 2 billion years of life and evolution into 4 pieces. With that in mind, it's definitely intriguing and growing on me. I suspect it'll get a lot more spins by the end of this summer.

I listened to Relayer too, and I'm actually really impressed with a lot of timbres/phrases that Moraz brought, but I'm a big Zawinual fan, so it was really interesting to me to hear something Weather Report-esqe dropped in the middle of Yes. I'm starting to rescind my feelings towards post-Bruford Yes.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 27, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Noise Machine posted:

prog-rock subreddit
:frogout:

Noise Machine posted:

a theory/evidence that Jon's lyrics are trying to sum up 2 billion years of life and evolution into 4 pieces.

He's been on the record as saying he often goes for the sounds of words more than their meaning when writing. I really wouldn't buy into that too hard. (On top of that, they're on the record as basing the album off a footnote from Autobiography of a Yogi about the way Hindu scripture has multiple forms for different forms of information.)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Allen Wren posted:

I started playing at about 27, so I've always been doomed.

27's still young. Really it doesn't matter when you start as long as you keep practicing and challenging yourself. I started playing guitar when I was 13 and stopped for awhile after I graduated college. I started up again a few years ago, and it's only in my thirties that I've gotten good enough to go out and perform solo live. I think I've gained more in these passed few years than I did when I started playing.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 28, 2014

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Tracks from Tales always seem to work better live, so check those out too. Especially Ritual from Yessongs, and The Revealing Science of God from KTE.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Iucounu posted:

Tracks from Tales always seem to work better live, so check those out too. Especially Ritual from Yessongs, and The Revealing Science of God from KTE.

I think you meant Yesshows. Ritual from Yesshows is a beast, especially the drum solo. But I always liked the version from Yessymphonic best. The orchestra really works well in that song.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 28, 2014

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Oops, yeah I meant Yesshows. That track was what inspired me to become a musician (bassist at first)

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Anyone been listening to Aussie band Closure in Moscow's new one, Pink Lemonade?

It's fantastic and really different from their previous one, First Temple.

The leader singer sounds real similar to Cedric from TMV.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I posted about it on the last page but nobody said anything. I liked First Temple more. This attempt to go full on TMV was alright but I'd rather just listen to De-Loused.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rick Wakeman is releasing a re-recorded "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" along with its sequel "Return to the Centre of the Earth".

http://www.rwcc.com/notice_journeyreturn.asp
http://youtu.be/a4TR3wKkpo4

The original album, released 1974, was a live recording, so I'm guessing this is a cleaned up studio recording of the original piece, although, judging that by that clip and the fact that the recently deceased Gary Pickford Hopkins' voice sounds exactly the same, I wouldn't be surprised if they sampled parts from the original live recording. Either way, I'm very curious, because I loved the original and would love to hear a well mixed and produced studio version. I remember buying its sequel "Return to the Centre of the Earth" when it first came out in 1999. It had some great moments but also some very weak moments. Still hearing Patrick Stewart Narrate an intro to a song where Ozzy sings lead is a treat. Not sure if that's being re-recorded. I was trying to find out more details, but only found this Q&A session which wasn't very helpful, but had me laughing pretty hard.
http://youtu.be/FMqoRZsxOVc

Also this:
http://youtu.be/1xBNImivpW8

You gotta love Rick Wakeman. What's he on, his fourth wife now? Soon he'll catch up to Henry VIII.

Edit:

Wikipedia posted:

Wakeman presumed that the original conductor's score was lost when his record company MAM collapsed in the early 1980s. However, a "huge cardboard packing case" arrived at his house in 2008 which stayed in his garage for "about five months" before he found the score at the bottom which was damaged by water. A year was spent digitising and forming the complete score with conductor Guy Protheroe. Wakeman re-recorded the album with an orchestra, choir, and members of his English Rock Ensemble band as a studio album, incorporating 20 minutes that was previously cut. As Hemmings died in 2003, the narration is voiced by actor Peter Egan.[1] Released on 20 November 2012, the new album is packaged with a one-off magazine published by Classic Rock and a copy of the 1974 Royal Festival Hall concert program.

Still doesn't explain if it's been totally re-recorded or just partially. I'm guessing partially.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 5, 2014

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
poo poo, anyone heard about this? King Crimson doing a farewell tour. Think I might grab tickets for this. Right now you have to have some kind of coupon code to buy though.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2014/06/03/prog-legends-king-crimsons-farewell-tour-to-hit-moore-theatre-oct-6/

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I knew about the tour, though I didn't know anything about it being a farewell tour...I hope that's not the case. I'm buying tickets for the Sept 26 show in Chicago for some friends and I. Very excited. I saw them the last time they were in town in 2008. Such a great show. Gavin and Pat were incredible. I can't wait to see what they do adding third drummer Bill R into the mix! And with Mel back in the line-up, I'm expecting some classic tunes! Hoping for Lizard! Though really, after 30 years of Adrian not allowing any pre-80's tunes (other than LTIA and Red), I'll take any classics!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Are there any tour dates for Europe?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

not yet. Hopefully something will be announced.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, doesn't say anything on the website about it being a farewell tour. Just lovely journalism?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Probably. This tour logo posted on DGM would not imply a final tour to me, anyway:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
King Crimson concerts rule but I don't know how I feel about seeing them in an upscale theater. I've only ever seen them in smaller rock clubs. Maybe in a theater once, but I think it was still a GA atmosphere.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Three drummers? Well, it might sound interesting. I'm guessing they'll be revisiting a lot of the older pre-Wetton material. That should be cool since I never saw them play any of that stuff live besides Schizoid Man.

Speaking of early Crimson, I was listening to the Moody Blues album, "Days of Future Passed" (1967), and couldn't help but notice how similar it sounds to KC's first album "In The Court of the Crimson King" (1969). I always felt that The Moody Blues never got enough credit for being the fathers of prog rock. Where did they come up with the name "Days of Future Past" anyway? Was it in reference to Shakespeare or something? When I wikipedia it all I get is the aforementioned album, the 2014 film, and the X-Men comic book storyline on which it was based (which came out in 1981). For some reason I doubt Chris Claremont titled the comic in reference to a Moody Blues album (but then he might have). Also, The Terminator pretty much ripped off that comic's story-line.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 5, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It's all drugs.

And Moody Blues are pretty firmly in the psychedelic camp but are a huge influence on prog (if for nothing else than all that glorious mellotron)

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

For those GG fans.

The Steven Wilson remix of Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory is now up for preorder.

Comes in CD, vinyl, DVD and bluray. Both stereo and 5.1 remixes.

You can get it on headphonedust.

Probably going to get it, its a great album that allready sounded pretty good to beging with

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

glompix posted:

poo poo, anyone heard about this? King Crimson doing a farewell tour. Think I might grab tickets for this. Right now you have to have some kind of coupon code to buy though.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2014/06/03/prog-legends-king-crimsons-farewell-tour-to-hit-moore-theatre-oct-6/

The code is just "STG", if the tickets are still in presale.

Got mine yesterday, and I can't wait! :toot:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

My dad got me a ticket for my birthday. Anyone going to Boston on the 15th?

Someone let it slip on their facebook page they were rehearsing "Starless", so I'm guessing the "ITCOCK-Islands" idea is being flexed a little bit.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
As much as I desperately want to, I probably won't get a chance to go. At least I got to see John Wetton perform Starless with UK a couple years ago.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Tickets to both Albany NY shows and to Madison WI. Oh yissssss.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
According to posts from Fripp on DGM, Schizoid Man, Happy Family, and Starless are in the set!!

http://dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4673

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Not surprised to see at least one track from Lizard, it seems SW's remix of the album really made Fripp like it again.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I wish Adrian Belew was alive to see this

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Gianthogweed posted:

Three drummers? Well, it might sound interesting. I'm guessing they'll be revisiting a lot of the older pre-Wetton material. That should be cool since I never saw them play any of that stuff live besides Schizoid Man.

Speaking of early Crimson, I was listening to the Moody Blues album, "Days of Future Passed" (1967), and couldn't help but notice how similar it sounds to KC's first album "In The Court of the Crimson King" (1969). I always felt that The Moody Blues never got enough credit for being the fathers of prog rock. Where did they come up with the name "Days of Future Past" anyway? Was it in reference to Shakespeare or something? When I wikipedia it all I get is the aforementioned album, the 2014 film, and the X-Men comic book storyline on which it was based (which came out in 1981). For some reason I doubt Chris Claremont titled the comic in reference to a Moody Blues album (but then he might have). Also, The Terminator pretty much ripped off that comic's story-line.

Using Google Ngrams, it appears it was first used somewhere around 1960ish.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Fuuuck, well, I bought my ticket for the Chicago show on 9/25. That was expensive, and I don't even know if I'll be able to go, but I know I'll regret it if I don't even try. I don't want this to turn out like NEARfest 2009 where I didn't buy a ticket and it turned out I totally could have gone.

I doubt I'll ever get the chance to see Gong again, but at least I'll get to see King Crimson? I hope? :unsmith:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 8, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Fripp just discreetly confirmed "In The Wake Of Poseidon" is in the set. :drat:

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 10, 2014

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I can't believe how amazing the setlist is so far. I saw the Thrak tour in 95 and the short 2008 tour, but I'm loving the older tracks and newer folks. Got a ticket for the Saturday night show in NYC, sitting in the same row I sat in 2008(4th)!

I just hope this time they will professionally record the shows. A blu ray should be a no brainer.

BTW, if any KC fans have never checked out 21st Century Schizoid Band, do so. The dvd from a 2002 Japanese tour introduces Jakko to the fold for the first time. He sings lead and plays with Mel Collins, Michael Giles, Ian McDonald, and Peter Giles. They cover the Peter Sinfield era from In the Court... thru Islands. They also perform some McDonald and Giles tracks. Well worth it if you can find it.

I hope no one has a harsh trip. One dude I saw in 2008 sitting in front of me looked pretty freaked out before the show.

And again I look forward to it being very loud. I know I lost some hearing after the Thrak concert, and I've heard bands as loud as Ministry. The 'old goat' as Fripp calls himself will make you deaf. I poo poo you not.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So is that list of dates complete, or do you suppose they'll be doing more gigs. I hope they come to Canada, we'll even pretend to still be one of the colonies if it helps! :canada:

Because of Rush it's almost like prog is our official music, anyways.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Seventh Arrow posted:

So is that list of dates complete, or do you suppose they'll be doing more gigs. I hope they come to Canada, we'll even pretend to still be one of the colonies if it helps! :canada:

Because of Rush it's almost like prog is our official music, anyways.

Friend of mine knows P@ and says the odds of any more gigs not yet announced are about zero.

No Canada, no Europe. Not even Austin, P@'s home town. I sure hope he's wrong.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 10, 2014

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I shouldn't be surprised that there is no Australia tour but I'm still disappointed :negative:

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Sailor's Tale is in the set!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=896900220326009&set=vb.100000181177250&type=2&theater

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Shiiiiit fuuuuuuu etc.

Although that's probably the one song other than The Letters that you can really include from Islands

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Declan MacManus posted:

Shiiiiit fuuuuuuu etc.

Although that's probably the one song other than The Letters that you can really include from Islands

Ladies of the Road is loving embarrassing, but that didn't stop them from playing it constantly the first time around and, much later naming a compilation album after it. Though I suppose the odds of that getting performed without Boz are slim to none.

I wouldn't mind them dragging out Formentera Lady, though, and the other two songs are good but have never been performed live. Though neither has Happy Family, so anything's possible, I guess.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 10, 2014

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I'm not huge on the lyrics but I think Ladies of the Road is a good song musically

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

After 11 years of pu-pu'ing and "No way man, Fripp doesn't like it so I don't like it" I finally get Lizard. Holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo.

It's almost disappointing to me because I have no more Krimson releases to be discovered, at least studio recordings.

Edit: In an alternate universe all Fripp does is write ballads and then sleep on his giant pile of money

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

loving love lizard.

God i am so close to pulling the trigger on tickets for Philly.