Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Oh okay, thanks. I'm guessing people are worried about planes being way to powerful? I just started playing this a few days ago so I still don't really know what's good or not so sorry about the stupid questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Herr Direktor posted:

Oh okay, thanks. I'm guessing people are worried about planes being way to powerful? I just started playing this a few days ago so I still don't really know what's good or not so sorry about the stupid questions.

What's good:
  • Reading the OP
  • Getting In Mumble (If nothing else, do this.)
  • Airplanes
  • Tanks
  • Winning

What's not:
  • bots
  • cowards
  • team paralysis
  • "sniper" teams
  • pubbies who queue for USA in not-arcade
  • flying near AAA on the combined arms maps
  • not being in mumble
  • Losing

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 12, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

If there are 4 tanks in your spawn your team was already losing badly and invincibility would not have helped. Arent there 2 spawns in most maps?

Many maps still don't let you choose.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I don't understand how CAABs are going to be anything but a clusterfuck. I mean it'll be great, but in the CBT it was just a massacre for anybody on the ground.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wales Grey posted:

What's good:
  • Reading the OP
  • Getting In Mumble (If nothing else, do this.)
  • Airplanes
  • Tanks
  • Winning

What's not:
  • bots
  • cowards
  • team paralysis
  • "sniper" teams
  • pubbies who queue for USA in not-arcade
  • flying near AAA on the combined arms maps
  • not being in mumble
  • Losing

Words of wisdom. I would add Murica's 50cals to the "whats good" list because they are that good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Target Practice posted:

I mean it'll be great, but in the CBT it was just a massacre for anybody on the ground.

Sounds good to me :coal:

But seriously, Arcade gives you as much or more SA than a modern fighter/bomber with radar and perfect weapon release point designations. Same with ground units targeting other ground units. Except SAMs aren't a thing in this game. So basically you have ground attack planes with almost perfect bombing capabilities going up against tanks with near-zero air defense support.

Ask Iraq how that worked out for their army.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Target Practice posted:

I don't understand how CAABs are going to be anything but a clusterfuck. I mean it'll be great, but in the CBT it was just a massacre for anybody on the ground.

I guess it's gonna be fun to just plaster the tiny tank battlefields with 8000kgs of explosives every 30-ish seconds.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

What's not:

• Losing

Can confirm. I thoroughly recommend winning.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

I thoroughly recommend winning whining.

This, too.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Wales Grey posted:

What's not:
  • bots

It never ceases to amaze me when I see someone literally ignore a human opponent and shoot a bot instead. Both in planes and tanks. Bots are pubbie catnip.

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1

Geisladisk posted:

SPAA are mostly awful, but the 37mm german one is great because if you land even one shot, you obliterate a plane, and the 37mm is actually pretty good against tanks too.

There are nine upcoming SPAAs in the next patch though, so we'll see!

Yup, go for the 37mm, ignore the 20mm.
I had a particularly good round last night where I took previous advice in this thread and in an RB Game ended up with 6 player air kills and 1 player tank kill (a KV!) with the German 37mm using default ammo. Make sure you get in a reasonable sheltered spot near to the action aka in the middle of the map. Only bother firing when they are close. The lead time on close aircraft is not much at all.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

This, too.

Mlmp has also perfect the "whining until someone else wins the match for me"-tactic. It is somewhat hard to learn, since it takes some skill to find suitable plane mates, but he has it nailed down to an art.

Watching netflix on the second monitor and verbally abusing teammates adds to the experience.

HTH

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Enigma89 posted:

I played the poo poo out of this game in beta but stopped playing because most people were only playing arcades and historical battle (now realistic) and full simulator mode were dead. Now it seems things have changed and I am starting to play this again.

I have noticed that they changed the hat switch controls around and for the life of me I cannot get my hatswitch to properly configure. I have played dozens and dozens of flight simulators and I have never run into this problem before.

I am using a Logitech 3d Pro (tossed my CH a while ago) and I am currently only able to get my hat switch to give me:

-12 o clock (snapped to resting position)
-High 12
-3 o clock
-9 o clock
-High 2
-High 10

Trying to get a six view is impossible any time I try to look at my 7 or 5 o clock the game snaps me to look down to my pilot. Any time I try to look at my 2 o clock it snaps me into a high 12 o clock view. These in between views are being over written by forward/back on my hatswitch and for the life of me I cannot figure it out how to fix it.
Anyone have any idea about this?

I can't imagine most people are not able to look over their shoulder using hat switch. I tried the official forums and players told me to use a joystick and mouse. :wtc:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Enigma89 posted:

I can't imagine most people are not able to look over their shoulder using hat switch. I tried the official forums and players told me to use a joystick and mouse. :wtc:

I know I have set up a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro to make the hat a swivel hat rather than a hard lock to view tool. Then you can set a button to recenter your view so you can pivot about and then lock back to center. I just don't have WT up atm, and can't recall exactly where I set that up.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
drat, whats up with simulator tanks battles being absolutely dead? Did CA kill it or something? Is everyone too busy playing RB for CA?

Also, another great :warthunder: moment. My plane crashed into nothing. Just..."crashed" into thin air. gg.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Every time I consider taking out the KV-1/Zis/2 to spice things up I think of all the times I've one shotted those stupid tanks in a Pz IVF/G/Sutg/Hetzer and I just wonder why the hell anyone would ever drive one. They are such poo poo.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

Every time I consider taking out the KV-1/Zis/2 to spice things up I think of all the times I've one shotted those stupid tanks in a Pz IVF/G/Sutg/Hetzer and I just wonder why the hell anyone would ever drive one. They are such poo poo.

The KV-1E and KV-1B they are going to add in the next patch have extra armor bolted on, enough to make them shrug off PZ IVF2 shots beyond distances of 0.10 km, especially if you angle them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
This game makes me laugh sometimes. A He-162 was positioning himself for a diving attack on my B-17, hovering around 1KM above me. I was hugging the trees. I figured I'd do a violent turn to screw with his angle of attack and force him to reposition for another run. He made his attack anyways, missed every shot, and buried his plane in the dirt. :downsbravo:

How do you get juked by a B-17?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also what the hell is my tail gunner shooting blanks? I consistently cant hit targets that are in range and flying STRAIGHT INTO my tail gunner, for some reason the shots are just passing through my targets...

Also what is the criteria for planes having a bomb reticule in arcade, because I thought anything that has bombs equipped will have a bomb reticule, which appeared to be the case except for my BF 110 which doesn't for some reason.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
BR 5.0 planes and I'm literally the only person on the entire team who bothers to cap any bases.

How the gently caress did these people even get here.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

mlmp08 posted:

I know I have set up a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro to make the hat a swivel hat rather than a hard lock to view tool. Then you can set a button to recenter your view so you can pivot about and then lock back to center. I just don't have WT up atm, and can't recall exactly where I set that up.

I just got that to work. Functional but I miss my old snap views. Oh well.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Kitfox88 posted:

How the gently caress did these people even get here.

Arcade. Of course, there's dumb people in other modes too, but at least in RB teammates can meaningfully contribute by shooting planes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Oh, so apparently you don't get kill credit if you die before the target whose wing you shot off crashes shortly after. Salt in the wound.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Subyng posted:

Also what the hell is my tail gunner shooting blanks? I consistently cant hit targets that are in range and flying STRAIGHT INTO my tail gunner, for some reason the shots are just passing through my targets...

I dunno, tailgunning is easy for me. I click on the plane until either I die or its wing falls off/pilot takes a nap/plane burns to bits :shrug:

quote:

Also what is the criteria for planes having a bomb reticule in arcade, because I thought anything that has bombs equipped will have a bomb reticule, which appeared to be the case except for my BF 110 which doesn't for some reason.

In arcade it seems to be that the dive-bombers/attackers only get a reticle when diving. At least, the last time I played arcadea lot it was like that*

*so many patches ago

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014

Helter Skelter posted:

T-34-57 best AA platform.

Never forget the KV-85

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What's a Fw-190 F-8 supposed to do vs spitfires? Just hold J?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Subyng posted:

drat, whats up with simulator tanks battles being absolutely dead? Did CA kill it or something? Is everyone too busy playing RB for CA?

Maybe they're tired of having their tank effectively knocked out of action every time their gun barrel gets red, due to the repair bug.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

theres a button to bind for 6 o clock view snap somewhere in the controls, try just binding that to 6 o clock on the hat. I have mine bound to a mouse button because i use the mouse for my viewpoint. Actually I have a logitech too, but different strokes for different folks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

El Disco posted:

Maybe they're tired of having their tank effectively knocked out of action every time their gun barrel gets red, due to the repair bug.

On the other hand, it's incredibly satisfying to do this to friendly tanks in arcade matches who are sitting 700 meters from the only cap point trying to snipe in their low velocity no penetration shitbox. :commissar:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why on earth would they remove tank only battles? Are their long term plans to remove plane only battles too?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I have no idea. I'm hopeful because it's cool in Realistic and all, but with the weapon reloads and relaxed flight models it seems like it's going to be a poo poo show. Please don't let base-bomb rushes become a thing in tank battles :suicide:

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
I know they won't but I'm hoping that maybe the ca mode will rejigger arcade so that matches last longer than 120 seconds and they can make people land to reload secondary weapons.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Is there any reason at all to fly planes that don't have cannons at tier II. Like, cannons are just straight up easy mode, why the gently caress are there even planes that DON'T have cannons

Getting frustrated with the BF 109 E-1's pitiful armament.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'd take American .50s over cannons any day.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Carrier landing success on first try. Tailhook optional.

Am I correct in reading that the launch conditions for the Catalina basic torpedo require you to land before launching? <50 km/hr and <30 m?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why on earth would they remove tank only battles? Are their long term plans to remove plane only battles too?

Go play arcade with the rest of the scrubs, I mean, uh...

On a more serious note, I think it's really dumb how they keep killing the tank only modes but planes get a free pass (with the exception of sim). I suppose they will continue to merge the modes until they have driven everyone out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Please don't let base-bomb rushes become a thing in tank battles :suicide:

Early reports show that they have added bombing targets outside of the tank battleground, which will probably take a chunk out of the total tickets, potentially making matches even shorter.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

I dunno, tailgunning is easy for me. I click on the plane until either I die or its wing falls off/pilot takes a nap/plane burns to bits :shrug:

In arcade it seems to be that the dive-bombers/attackers only get a reticle when diving. At least, the last time I played arcadea lot it was like that*

*so many patches ago

Well, in any case, now the bomb reticule for my BF 110 is appearing when it wasn't before. And yeah, I tried diving before and it still didn't show up, but now it does. Also, biplanes get bombsights when diving too, but my Ju 87 which is supposedly a dive bomber gets it all the time, which means in Arcade mode I can just fly at 5000m and bomb stuff without having to dive at all.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'd take American .50s over cannons any day.

What's weird is I had no trouble with the MGs in my very first game with the BF109, but after that it was like I'm shooting blanks.

Also, what's awesome is diving on an enemy, killing him, then having the resulting chaos on screen slow your computer so much that it can't properly calculate the flight model fast enough causing you to stutter into the ground and crash (my computer is poo poo)

:thumbsup:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I Greyhound posted:

Carrier landing success on first try. Tailhook optional.

Am I correct in reading that the launch conditions for the Catalina basic torpedo require you to land before launching? <50 km/hr and <30 m?

hahaha, this owns.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

ghetto wormhole posted:

What's a Fw-190 F-8 supposed to do vs spitfires? Just hold J?

You can out dive Spits so use that to get away if you have altitude. If you don't scissor because 190s generally roll better than Spitfires.

Whatever you do, don't turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Subyng posted:

Also, another great :warthunder: moment. My plane crashed into nothing. Just..."crashed" into thin air. gg.

I've noticed it as well. And after playing SB only for a while, it's pretty impossible to play RB. Just feels so boring. :(

• Locked thread