Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bitch Stewie posted:

Feedback so far is that they're dull boring fuckers with a slightly nasty management interface but they just work with no real fuss - any feedback would be great thanks :)

This describes basically all Hitachi storage, excepting AMS, which is dull with a nasty management interface but is much less problem free. Buy Hitachi if you don't plan to do anything fancy with it and also basically never want to touch it outside of when you move it in and move it out three years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Bitch Stewie posted:

We're probably about to go for a HUS 110.

Feedback so far is that they're dull boring fuckers with a slightly nasty management interface but they just work with no real fuss - any feedback would be great thanks :)

NippleFloss posted:

This describes basically all Hitachi storage, excepting AMS, which is dull with a nasty management interface but is much less problem free. Buy Hitachi if you don't plan to do anything fancy with it and also basically never want to touch it outside of when you move it in and move it out three years later.

It's solid kit. Doesn't bitch and moan and if you set it up right then it'll be fine.

Careful looking at docs because you will see stuff for HUS VM which is actually a VSP, not a HUS 1x0.

The file modules (HNAS) if you are getting them can be finicky bastards but i've found them to be extremely capable for the money.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Bitch Stewie posted:

We're probably about to go for a HUS 110.

Ok, there's a bunch of things to consider here. Are you running VMWare? Windows? Linux? You'll probably be alot happier with the first two. Do you expect Thin Provisioning to work? Work well? Whatever you expect or have been sold there get in writing. Do you expect NetApp like snapshotting and usability, well you're not getting it? Are you paying for Hitachi Command Suite? Snapshot Manager? Are you going to use a file module (lol it's BlueArc btw)? Best practices on the file module are kinda hilarous. Are you planning on using Dynamic Tiering? Don't worry, that seems to work pretty well. Do you think you can magically turn your HUS into a HUS VM? You can't.

I'm not telling you not to get one, just depending on a bunch of things it could be a source of pain. Well, more annoyance than pain. I will say our HUS 150 has never gone down and never lost data. Performance has been excellent too, but we have an OMG expensive SSD tier.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Aquila posted:

Ok, there's a bunch of things to consider here. Are you running VMWare? Windows? Linux? You'll probably be alot happier with the first two. Do you expect Thin Provisioning to work? Work well? Whatever you expect or have been sold there get in writing. Do you expect NetApp like snapshotting and usability, well you're not getting it? Are you paying for Hitachi Command Suite? Snapshot Manager? Are you going to use a file module (lol it's BlueArc btw)? Best practices on the file module are kinda hilarous. Are you planning on using Dynamic Tiering? Don't worry, that seems to work pretty well. Do you think you can magically turn your HUS into a HUS VM? You can't.

I'm not telling you not to get one, just depending on a bunch of things it could be a source of pain. Well, more annoyance than pain. I will say our HUS 150 has never gone down and never lost data. Performance has been excellent too, but we have an OMG expensive SSD tier.

100% VMware.
Thin is more a benefit than a requirement as we don't over-provision.
Snapshotting a la NetApp is a no (similarly NetApp pricing for similar capacity and performance is about 3x the price so we ruled them out early).
We are planning on using dynamic tiering - general consensus is it just works though right now most of our data would fit in the top tier anyway (think file server with a ton of old stuff).
We're using it purely as direct attached FC block so definitely not expecting a HUS VM - it is what it is which is (relatively) low cost block for several vSphere hosts.

Basically for our needs just about anyone will do the job on paper - HDS have impressed with their "no bullshit" approach and lack of pressure that the likes of Netapp and EMC have - 3PAR were twice the price and in business terms there's no obvious benefit that justifies paying it.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Bitch Stewie posted:

100% VMware.
Thin is more a benefit than a requirement as we don't over-provision.
Snapshotting a la NetApp is a no (similarly NetApp pricing for similar capacity and performance is about 3x the price so we ruled them out early).
We are planning on using dynamic tiering - general consensus is it just works though right now most of our data would fit in the top tier anyway (think file server with a ton of old stuff).
We're using it purely as direct attached FC block so definitely not expecting a HUS VM - it is what it is which is (relatively) low cost block for several vSphere hosts.

Basically for our needs just about anyone will do the job on paper - HDS have impressed with their "no bullshit" approach and lack of pressure that the likes of Netapp and EMC have - 3PAR were twice the price and in business terms there's no obvious benefit that justifies paying it.

I think you're probably going to do fine. Some of the old docs and the web will state host attachment as "Netware (0A I think)" for VMWare, ignore them, there should be an VMWare mode now. You should use this as it enables t10 (hw acceleration for VAAI ops). If you've got it already then the portal has the latest documentation bundle under the PDL for HUS150. If you don't have portal access I can shove a link your way if you have plat.

If you don't get command suite, raise hell. It should be part of the BOS license. Ensure you've got HiTrack setup (if you're allowed the access). Check the HiTrack polling intervals, likely they're far too frequent.

The HDS certification paths are really really cheap, and there's no heirarchy for certs (you can go straight to the expert path) so jump on that, seriously.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Zephirus posted:

I think you're probably going to do fine. Some of the old docs and the web will state host attachment as "Netware (0A I think)" for VMWare, ignore them, there should be an VMWare mode now. You should use this as it enables t10 (hw acceleration for VAAI ops). If you've got it already then the portal has the latest documentation bundle under the PDL for HUS150. If you don't have portal access I can shove a link your way if you have plat.

If you don't get command suite, raise hell. It should be part of the BOS license. Ensure you've got HiTrack setup (if you're allowed the access). Check the HiTrack polling intervals, likely they're far too frequent.

The HDS certification paths are really really cheap, and there's no heirarchy for certs (you can go straight to the expert path) so jump on that, seriously.

That's very interesting on the certification paths - are they cheap anyway or is there some financial incentive through owning a HDS array?

On the "I think you're probably going to do fine" comment, well tbh I think pretty much any upper-entry to entry-midlevel array will serve us well - in terms of features we don't need much that I can justify paying extra for so when people are saying "Choose XYZ" it does seem to largely come down to religion.

The one constant with HDS has been that whilst they don't do a zillion things, you just don't read tales of broken ones.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bitch Stewie posted:

The one constant with HDS has been that whilst they don't do a zillion things, you just don't read tales of broken ones.
You do, however, pay 14-18% per year on maintenance during the first three years, which is substantially higher than industry averages.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just did an SVC upgrade including node swap to new hardware this weekend. Went from ----wait for it----- 4.3(!!!!!!) to 7.2. Overall it went very smoothly but I'd be lying if I didn't feel a little anxiety at times.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Kaddish posted:

Just did an SVC upgrade including node swap to new hardware this weekend. Went from ----wait for it----- 4.3(!!!!!!) to 7.2. Overall it went very smoothly but I'd be lying if I didn't feel a little anxiety at times.

My god you'll be so happy with the UI improvements.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

qutius posted:

My god you'll be so happy with the UI improvements.

I have various v7000s and other SVCs running 6.3+ so I was well aware how poo poo the GUI was. Now that this upgrade is out of the way I get to implement a Flash 820 and update firmware on a DS8100.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Misogynist posted:

You do, however, pay 14-18% per year on maintenance during the first three years, which is substantially higher than industry averages.

Can you elaborate a little please?

Maintenance seems to be much cheaper than everyone else and I only hear good things about how HDS will do support month to month and are probably the only folks who don't bend you over after year 3 if you don't do 4 and 5 up front.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bitch Stewie posted:

Can you elaborate a little please?

Maintenance seems to be much cheaper than everyone else and I only hear good things about how HDS will do support month to month and are probably the only folks who don't bend you over after year 3 if you don't do 4 and 5 up front.
Their pricing might have changed over the past few years, but we had some contract negotiations at a former job that completely fell apart over the ridiculous USP maintenance prices they gave us -- these also seemed to scale linearly with the software features we wanted, which is nuts.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 9, 2014

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
That may make sense - I'm assuming with USP there's a bit more to it than a support SKU perhaps but what we're looking at is the entry level box.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Kaddish posted:

Just in time for 7.3 to come out!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

mattisacomputer posted:

Just in time for 7.3 to come out!

Yeah it just came out like a week ago. No chance I'm upgrading to it in the near future though. It adds support for those new "fat" nodes though, they look boss.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kaddish posted:

No chance I'm upgrading to it in the near future though.
This is a pretty good policy regarding new IBM firmware releases, for the most part.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

Misogynist posted:

Their pricing might have changed over the past few years, but we had some contract negotiations at a former job that completely fell apart over the ridiculous USP maintenance prices they gave us -- these also seemed to scale linearly with the software features we wanted, which is nuts.

This is likely because you got good discounts on hardware and software. The maintenance % will be different for everyone.

Sales can only discount maintenance by a certain amount, so if it seems really high in comparison then they went hard on general discounts.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone looking to play with some storage?

http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/06/summer-gift-part-2-10-vnxe-arrays-free-to-play-with-for-volunteers.html

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vanilla posted:

This is likely because you got good discounts on hardware and software. The maintenance % will be different for everyone.

Sales can only discount maintenance by a certain amount, so if it seems really high in comparison then they went hard on general discounts.
Not good enough to compete with the vendor that won, sadly.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I am learning about various virtualization stuff like esxi and xenserver and I want to either buy an old SAN off of ebay. Are there any models that would be under $500 without any drives or is that just not possible to get something that is cheap and also compatible with new hardware? Is it even worth trying to find a cheap one that accepts SATA hard drives or would I be better off just building a freeNAS box? I want to have like 8 4tb drives so its definitely not a ton of data but I do want a solution that is fast enough to use as shared storage for virtual machines.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 11, 2014

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Stealthgerbil posted:

I am learning about various virtualization stuff like esxi and xenserver and I want to either buy an old SAN off of ebay. Are there any models that would be under $500 without any drives or is that just not possible to get something that is cheap and also compatible with new hardware? Is it even worth trying to find a cheap one that accepts SATA hard drives or would I be better off just building a freeNAS box? I want to have like 8 4tb drives so its definitely not a ton of data but I do want a solution that is fast enough to use as shared storage for virtual machines.

Build a FreeNas (or Nas4Free, or Illumos, or whatever) box. Any SAN on Ebay that is cheap enough that you could buy it will be old and outdated and slower than the aforementioned roll-your-own solution, and a pain to support and keep running besides. Speed is rarely an issue for home NAS with how cheap SSD is now and how easy it is to use it as cache in just about every flavor of NAS OS.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Is freeNAS reliable enough to use in a production environment? My end goal is to switch my webhosting setup from being two servers that have their own local storage to using a central storage and be able to scale up and add more servers if needed. My current setup replicates the websites between the two servers individual raid arrays but I only have a gigabit connection so it does take some time. I assume for a truly data redundant setup I would need to get two+ SANs though, right?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Does anyone have any experience with Synology equipment? We're looking in to some of their iSCSI arrays (synology rs2414) for use in a low-speed requirement storage project and I wanted to make sure we're not about to make any huge mistakes. Price was the primary concern for us.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They are cheap, but they aren't SAN. The only way to get redundancy is to have two of them in an HA pair, and I haven't got enough experience with that to be able to say if it's reliable or not.

They are great for what they are, just make sure you appreciate what that is.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Stealthgerbil posted:

Is freeNAS reliable enough to use in a production environment? My end goal is to switch my webhosting setup from being two servers that have their own local storage to using a central storage and be able to scale up and add more servers if needed. My current setup replicates the websites between the two servers individual raid arrays but I only have a gigabit connection so it does take some time. I assume for a truly data redundant setup I would need to get two+ SANs though, right?

Nexenta has some really nice stuff, you might want to check it out. Theirs is solaris based and is free upto 18TB, with enterprise support detailing more, and support.

Freenas is also good, you could do 2 servers full of disks and ZFS snap between them in an active/passive setup.

What budget are you looking at?

Spudalicious posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Synology equipment? We're looking in to some of their iSCSI arrays (synology rs2414) for use in a low-speed requirement storage project and I wanted to make sure we're not about to make any huge mistakes. Price was the primary concern for us.

Just realize they are a single point of failure, but they are decent boxes.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7402/synology-refreshes-rackstation-lineup-with-rs2414-and-rs2414rp

If you are looking into them, Going with some SSD caching and adding some ram to push it to 32GB, and backing it with a bunch of large 1-2TB drives isn't the worst idea ever depending on your environment.

What kind of setup are you looking at?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 11, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The FreeNAS team also offers paid support and prebuilt appliances, but that kind of defeats the purpose of running FreeNAS over a bigger-name storage vendor to me.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

The FreeNAS team also offers paid support and prebuilt appliances, but that kind of defeats the purpose of running FreeNAS over a bigger-name storage vendor to me.

Granted they do, but Nexenta's been in the enterprise support business for a while longer than freenas.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
depending on what exactly you are doing you could look at smartos as well.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

depending on what exactly you are doing you could look at smartos as well.

Isn't SmartOS just a limited VAAI and Vm-open-tools ready appliance?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

no

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Yeah Smart OS is based on OpenSolairs; how the gently caress do you not know the VAAI plugins or tools load in?

Sorry I am pissed off, because apparently internal IT doesn't push your limits.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 12, 2014

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah Smart OS is based on OpenSolairs; how the gently caress do you not know the VAAI plugins or tools load in?

Sorry I am pissed off, because apparently internal IT doesn't push your limits.

I'd love to hear about the SmartOS VAAI plugins :allears:, and what you mean by 'just an appliance.'

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Okay want to live demo it?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Granted they do, but Nexenta's been in the enterprise support business for a while longer than freenas.
The pricing model on Nexenta is really silly, though. At what I was quoted, I never found it to be worth it versus paying the little bit extra for a reputable vendor with global hardware logistics. It seems to be a product for people who are already in love with the technology first, and people who have a real business use case second.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

The pricing model on Nexenta is really silly, though. At what I was quoted, I never found it to be worth it versus paying the little bit extra for a reputable vendor with global hardware logistics. It seems to be a product for people who are already in love with the technology first, and people who have a real business use case second.

Pricing model is silly until you realize the marginal cost of their user base.
10% of 250,000 users @ 12$ per minute! Oh wow it's not so unreasonable...

What's the SLA on FreeNas Again? Oh right.....

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

It's an illumos distribution built for virtualization. KVM, zones, and ZFS. Makes a great storage appliance or a fantastic standalone virtualization platform.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Okay want to live demo it?

On SmartOS, I'm not going to be able to do much more than what you'll find on YouTube; it's not the Illumos distro I primarily use (or that I'd recommend) for storage. I can talk more about OmniOS; my employer has a significant amount of storage using ZFS on OmniOS that we export via NFS and Samba.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

Misogynist posted:

This is a pretty good policy regarding new IBM firmware releases, for the most part.

What makes you say that? Oh...

IBM SVC Support posted:

TO: mattisacomputer

Subject:URGENT - SVC / Storwize V7.3.0.1 Issues

Dear SVC/Storwize User,

I am writing to you as our records show that you have downloaded the recently released V7.3.0.1 code, and I wish to inform you of a critical upgrade issue that has been discovered in this code release. The actions that need to be taken will depend on your use of compressed volumes.

IMPORTANT: <<<< If you have not already upgraded to V7.3.0.1, please do not do so. >>>>

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mattisacomputer posted:

What makes you say that? Oh...

:laffo: Oh man, that could not be more perfect...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

:laffo: Oh man, that could not be more perfect...
I got bitten by a bug once where Midrange Storage (DSxxxx) series firmware stopped replicating data over the 2 TB mark on any volume, but acted like everything was totally fine. That was a fun conversation with support, but not as fun as the conversation with our rep afterwards.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 12, 2014