Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Nitrousoxide posted:

How much are you folks able to make and what is your effective hourly income?

It really depends on your speed.

On some projects, if you're fast, you can make upwards to $20/hour, but that's if there's a shitload of [NON-INTERVIEW] happening. On others, it can average out to what Shima Honnou quoted, even if the project is offering $1/per audio minute.

Personally, with DT, I can average out at about $10/$15 an hour. Comes out to more if it's a reality TV show gig, typically.

As I've said before, this is based one two things: wpm, and whether or not you're bothering to go through and check your own files. I figure I've got an edge with being able to use Dragon consistently, since, with manageable files (interviewer paraphrased/interviewee verbatim), and people who don't talk a mile a minute, doing 40 minutes of audio in an hour is a breeze. If I count the time it takes to go back through for a final pass on the file, it comes out to about 20-25 minutes of audio per hour. That equals out to $12/$15 an hour.

It's not the best, but as kazmeyer has indicated, DT is a stepping stone, something to get you credibility and experience. It's not meant to be the job you stick with.

EDIT: re, taxes, I made close to $5,000 last year via DT. On my taxes, if I HADN'T qualified for a EIC, I would have paid $597 (I currently owe $297, which is still lovely). Keep on top of that poo poo, or you'll be in for a nightmare come April 15th. The IRS doesn't give a gently caress how poor you are, they'll still expect you to cough up the money.

Keep in mind, this is social security/medicare payments. State income taxes/federal income taxes beyond that don't really apply if you're below 22k/year or somesuch. I don't know if the figure's changed in the last year or so.

EDIT 2: Also, most of the $.80/$1+ per audio minute projects are absolute hell. They're basically the files that the admin surfs through for a couple seconds and goes 'oh these are terrible,' or the format's loving insane. Every time I saw one pop in my inbox at first I was super-exited. Then I realized that some of them expect you to take screenshots to embed in the .doc file, and others are just round-table bullshit meetings.

I had a $.70/audio minute one that was basically two New Yorkers talking over each other the entire time. Came out to about $6/hour thanks to that - and my drive to be super-perfectionist - alone.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

An Old Boot posted:

doing 40 minutes of audio in an hour is a breeze
:monocle:

What the hell. How. I've got a pedal and I've got really clean interviewer and -ee and I'm getting like a third of that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

An Old Boot posted:

EDIT 2: Also, most of the $.80/$1+ per audio minute projects are absolute hell. They're basically the files that the admin surfs through for a couple seconds and goes 'oh these are terrible,' or the format's loving insane. Every time I saw one pop in my inbox at first I was super-exited. Then I realized that some of them expect you to take screenshots to embed in the .doc file, and others are just round-table bullshit meetings.

Maybe, maybe not, but my experience hasn't been the most consistent on that front. This $0.80/min file seems to be 80 minutes of someone talking clearly and slowly.

Several of my files $0.75/min files have been upwards of 80 minutes of someone talking fast, being a poo poo throughout the interview, talking over the interviewer or outright arguing with them, and required full verbatim without the use of [NON-INTERVIEW]; basically, 50 to 80 minutes of hell. Even some of the ones that did at least allow non-interview were bad, yesterday I did a 50 minute file of one guy basically giving his life story, which came out to 8k words even after a few precious islands of [NON-INTERVIEW].

Today I've got 60 minutes of reality TV interview and then as much of that 80 minute $0.80/min file as I can get done today, the exact contents of which I am unsure of but I'm fairly sure it's an interview for a book or something.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Poison Mushroom posted:

:monocle:

What the hell. How. I've got a pedal and I've got really clean interviewer and -ee and I'm getting like a third of that.

An Old Boot revoices. Instead of typing, you listen to the tape in your headphones and repeat what's said into a voice recognition program like Dragon. You still have to go back through and do a correction pass afterwards, but if you train Dragon up (and get used to repeating everything the interviewer/interviewee are saying out loud) it's apparently a workable method of transcription. I've considered giving it a shot, but I think the process would be just too weird for me.

As for my hourlies, here's a rough breakdown:

Low-end verbatim transcription work, $1-1.20 per minute (the cheapest I'll go): $15-20 per hour
Light edit transcription work, better client: $16-26 per hour
As-broadcast work: $30-40 per hour
Article, etc. writing: $25-50 per hour
Specialty clip reel work: $35-100 per hour (kind of rare, unfortunately)

Sounds like a lot, but I generally don't work a lot of hours in a day; usually I'll bang out a few hours worth of hard graft and spend the rest of the time working on fiction writing or taking care of family stuff. I also have a bad habit of being lazy and just not pushing myself when I don't have to.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I love you so much [NON-INTERVIEW], thank you for being allowed on this project so I didn't have to transcribe 4 minutes of the interviewee trying to get a Red Bull.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I love you so much [NON-INTERVIEW], thank you for being allowed on this project so I didn't have to transcribe 4 minutes of the interviewee trying to get a Red Bull.

I actually got something sent back this morning for not using enough [NON-INTERVIEW] and had to spend the better part of an hour going back through and trimming out and also adding timecodes I forgot because I was a procrastinating moron over the weekend.

Semi-related to the thread topic, is there either suggestions or just a thread for good health insurance and crap for the self-employed? I don't make a lot, but I'd like some kind of net in case I lose my arm in a blogging accident or whatever. Dental would be great, too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

I actually got something sent back this morning for not using enough [NON-INTERVIEW] and had to spend the better part of an hour going back through and trimming out and also adding timecodes I forgot because I was a procrastinating moron over the weekend.

Yeah, at a certain point QC actually contacted me and taught me how to properly [NON-INTERVIEW], which was great of them. They neglected to remind me to redo the timecodes when I cut the ums and whatnot that everyone loves to start sentences with, so I still had to redo that file again, but it was valuable knowledge.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Self-employed people have to use the individual market which doesn't open again until October. But if you hire an employee you're now a business and can enroll year-round :eng99:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
To further answer the question about how much is made: I've broken my last check, quite substantially. At present, this week's invoice is set to be $339.40 for 448 minutes of footage (83 minutes of which is $0.80/min, the rest is $0.75/min), not including any more I may be assigned and finish between now and closing my invoice on Friday night.

Unfortunately, the project that pushed it over is that same lovely one where [NON-INTERVIEW] is disallowed :shepicide: At least it's one of the people I've gotten before on this project, hopefully this time he's learned to be a bit more professional and not throw hissy fits over being having to do retakes!

E: And another from the same project assigned due Sat, so if I can polish that off in time for the invoice, that's $396 for this week, which would literally be the largest check I'd have earned out of anywhere I've worked.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 11, 2014

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Nitrousoxide posted:

How much are you folks able to make and what is your effective hourly income?

I recently got accepted to Writer's Domain and did a bunch of articles on keywords I knew about, they pay $20 an article and they'd take me anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. Now I'm having to do some research on keywords I'm not experienced with which bumps it up to an hour due to research. I'm still pretty new to writing, and still learning the kind of stuff they like to see, but hopefully when I get that down I can average about 45 minutes, ~$30/hr.

They do cap the amount of articles you can do a month (80 I believe, so $1600/mo) and with a regular fulltime job I never will hit that cap but it's nice making an extra $500 a month for churning out 5ish articles a week.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is it just me, or is the key to success with a lot of negotiating and just business communication as a freelancer in general to sound like you're competent and well-informed and in control, and then scramble behind the scenes to actually meet that impression? Or is that just my own bluster?

To elaborate a bit, I caught myself using what was probably about one step away from Business Jargon in one of my e-mail with Sally, when I was requesting some time to give my other projects the attention they deserved. What I meant was that I'm scrambling to play catch-up and need a day where nothing new is being thrown onto the giant swaying pile of 'crap I'm running late on getting done', but I'm kind of wondering if that's not really just basically the same thing in prettier language.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 12, 2014

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

What? No, I'm constantly in complete control of my workload and clients and never have to enter panic mode to pull my proverbial nuts out of the proverbial fire, and anyone who suggests otherwise is sadly mistaken.

I've been doing this for many years and I still run into situations where I look at what I've got booked and realize I'm going to be up for the next 30 hours or so. I have evolved to the point where when I do gently caress up, it's not out of greed or carelessness but more out of feeling bad for a client who's getting slammed with work and helping out with a job I should probably pass on, but I do still bury myself on occasion.

I think the craziest it ever got was when I inadvertently took two super-rush jobs for two different clients. I misread the email for one of them and thought it was a "get this done in a few hours" rush instead of a "need this five minutes ago if at all possible" rush. Both jobs consisted of a large batch of short (5 minutes or so) files, and I ended up alternating between them and firing them off to the clients as I finished them. Somehow I managed not to send the wrong transcript to the wrong person, both of them congratulated me on the quality of my work, and I spent the rest of the afternoon doing the Ed Lover dance.

(For the record, the track is "The 900 Number," by the 45 King.)

I do have to say, though, nothing feels better than finally crashing out after pulling an all-nighter and saving your clients' bacon and making a shitload of money in the process. That's actually almost worth the terror.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 12, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

What? No, I'm constantly in complete control of my workload and clients and never have to enter panic mode to pull my proverbial nuts out of the proverbial fire, and anyone who suggests otherwise is sadly mistaken.
I have most certainly not been up all night alternating between pecking away frantically at DT stuff (thankfully it's an easy 'summarize questions, clean verbatim answers' thing) and other responsibilities I've been putting off like a moron, with the occasional break into 'five minutes of whatever so I don't go insane'.

On that note, if I was, and the answering person uses "you know" like other speakers use "like" and "um", am I allowed to cut those out for clean verbatim? I'd think so, since they're filler that clearly disrupts the flow of the answer, but I really don't want to have to go back through this whole file again if I'm wrong.

Shima Honnou posted:

Partition your work, or make a schedule. If you can't do that, request less footage. It's all about self-discipline. You shouldn't be having this much trouble.
I overestimated my own productivity, and am now having to deal with treading water while I can ride it out until I can scale back my work requests.

On the bright side, I'm going to be making bank this next couple weeks.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 12, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Partition your work, or make a schedule. If you can't do that, request less footage. It's all about self-discipline. You shouldn't be having this much trouble.

E:

quote:

On that note, if I was, and the answering person uses "you know" like other speakers use "like" and "um", am I allowed to cut those out for clean verbatim? I'd think so, since they're filler that clearly disrupts the flow of the answer, but I really don't want to have to go back through this whole file again if I'm wrong.

I don't actually know. QC hasn't pointed "You know" or "Like" or what have you out to me yet as being something I should skip, so I still transcribe them. If they do become a problem, it's just a matter of maybe 10 minutes of Ctrl+F to fix a given file.

quote:

I overestimated my own productivity, and am now having to deal with treading water while I can ride it out until I can scale back my work requests.

You'll get better, but definitely shoot for a given amount of work per hour. I've been hitting 15 minutes of footage an hour, every hour, for the past few days. Not as bad as burning myself trying to go for a whole hour without stopping, gives me some time (~20-30 minutes) to relax and go over what I've finished to make sure I don't have any spelling or grammar errors.

If anything, the hard part for me will be tomorrow, since I'm going to shoot for finishing not one, but two projects so I can split an extra $50 into this week's invoice.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 12, 2014

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, if you're having to scramble all the time you definitely need to scale things back a bit. But I don't know a single transcriber who didn't at least at some point have the eyes-bigger-than-stomach problem in relation to their workload. It can be really easy to say "sure!" to one too many requests (because more money = better than) and get yourself into trouble. Once you graduate to multiple clients, you do have to get pretty good at evaluating your own limits or you're going to run yourself ragged trying to meet everyone's demands on your time. You have to be pretty crazy to keep as many balls in the air as I do, but I don't have a day job as backup. :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
This is my day job at present, so I might eventually get as nuts as you, Kaz. It's nice to know that as I get faster, it'll only get easier, until eventually my "day job" takes up pretty much from breakfast to lunch, or form lunch to dinner, and then however much I want to get ahead for the next day or if I have to do some major QC work for whatever reason (Most recently because there were two guides in with the files and I ended up using the wrong one).

The hard part right now are specialty projects, of which I've been given a decent amount. Hate that reality show where I can't even use [NON-INTERVIEW], I swear.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Poison Mushroom posted:

Clean verbatim + Ack

Clean verbatim incorporates all the likes and you knows, it's stutters and 'uhs' that you strip out completely. Yes, someone who over-uses 'you know' can break up the sentence structure a little, but that boils down to being their own drat fault. Clients would have to specifically ask for those to be ignored.

As for your schedule, yeah, scale it way the hell back if you're trying to construct emails to Sally about being late on multiple projects. They can and will drop you completely if it turns into a consistent problem. My advice is to opt in for 40min files at max to start out with, and to get them done in chunks (one hour on, half hour off, say) if you're not willing to sit there and hammer away at a transcript all in one go. Personally, I find it easier to just do it all in one shot, but sometimes I'll break it up if the file is annoying.

Example: I had one today that I split up with a nap. Now I'm chilling out for a bit before going into the inevitably taxing review process that comes with a fast-talking stutterer, but I've got until 11am my time to finish it, and no other obligations, so I'm good to loaf for a while and nurse a semi-sore throat I scored from all that goddamn revoicing.

In regards to stressing about a deadline, ask Sally when you get the file - literally the moment you see it, it's important - if there's a possibility of an extension, but I honestly wouldn't do this at all until you've established a record of being a lot more timely about turning projects in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

An Old Boot posted:

Clean verbatim incorporates all the likes and you knows, it's stutters and 'uhs' that you strip out completely. Yes, someone who over-uses 'you know' can break up the sentence structure a little, but that boils down to being their own drat fault. Clients would have to specifically ask for those to be ignored.

Just a little while ago I had the interviewee on this file go "You know, you know" and then carry on. It was quite something. A pause short enough to know it wasn't an ellipses or a period, but long enough that it wasn't a stutter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

An Old Boot posted:

drat. Okay.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
You can always see if one of us wants to take a load off your hands if necessary. We've talked about this before and apparently you can just email us your project.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
EDIT: ^^ What he said. It's still your responsibility even if you pass the buck, though. If the other transcriber doesn't finish it in time, you're the one to take the hit.

Shima Honnou posted:

Just a little while ago I had the interviewee on this file go "You know, you know" and then carry on. It was quite something. A pause short enough to know it wasn't an ellipses or a period, but long enough that it wasn't a stutter.

If it's multiple consecutive 'you knows' (and yes this is a thing that happens regularly; when I was relaying phone calls the amount of times 'well' and 'you know' showed up was insane enough that I made abbreviations for them) then, in my experience, it counts as a stutter.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 12, 2014

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Are there any sites that you guys can recommend that need people to do subtitle timing as well as transcription? I'm looking to finally make the big bucks by leveraging my experience with subtitling ~anime~ (.srt, .rear end). Right now I've only found transcription/timing review jobs with Speechink and it's pretty bad. It might be tolerable if most people doing the transcriptions spoke the language and I didn't have to fix every other line but however they're automating the timing and capture groups makes it not worth doing. I can do a faster job just redoing the entire thing and salvaging what I can from the transcript, but at .35/m, why bother?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Dragon mistake of the day: Could become more tardive of this learning?

EDIT: And a bonus: she five my view of lay

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 12, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

An Old Boot posted:

:vince:

Almost finished with today's ~80 minutes, it's 11am right now my time, I started at about 6am, so I'm making decent time considering I've been doing this for like 3 weeks, especially since I take breaks and didn't work for a whole hour somewhere in there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

An Old Boot posted:

I tried Dragon recently for my application and found it was actually doable and a lot more enjoyable to do transcription that way.

It also helps a lot because I have hand issues if I type for too long.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
My first rush notification, $1.25/min for a 20 to 30 minute file on a show that I know has a decent amount of [NON-INTERVIEW]? :getin:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shima Honnou posted:

My first rush notification, $1.25/min for a 20 to 30 minute file on a show that I know has a decent amount of [NON-INTERVIEW]? :getin:

Oh, man.

I'm thinking about signing up for this, but I'm worried about time commitment. How does that work? Can I say that I'm available, say Monday and Wednesday and it all works out, or is it all week kind of a thing, cannot opt out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, gonna take myself off the schedule for Friday. It kills me cause I keep thinking about all the money I could make, but if I drop the ball and get shooed off, then I won't be making any money, and I just turned in something almost an hour late from the in-email deadline for the second time in a week. That is not something I want to get into the habit of.

I'm going to go catch up on my sleep a bit, get today's work done, and then spend tomorrow getting everything else taken care of so I can work properly on Saturday.

kazmeyer posted:

But I don't know a single transcriber who didn't at least at some point have the eyes-bigger-than-stomach problem in relation to their workload
I'm just glad it's not just me. If it's a common problem, means that they'll (hopefully) be more ready to forget this little hiccup once I get myself straightened out again. I intend to make this at least a significant chunk of my income, so I'd rather not burn any bridges in my first month doing it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 12, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

Oh, man.

I'm thinking about signing up for this, but I'm worried about time commitment. How does that work? Can I say that I'm available, say Monday and Wednesday and it all works out, or is it all week kind of a thing, cannot opt out.

If you work for Daily Transcription you only work as much as you want to. They give you a calendar and you put in how many minutes you want per day.

So I just volunteered myself for some ABS work. I've never done this before. Oh god what have I gotten myself into the camera changes every two seconds :(

Spartan421 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 12, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Spartan421 posted:

If you work for Daily Transcription you only work as much as you want to. They give you a calendar and you put in how many minutes you want per day.

Will they fire you if you don't sign up for anything for a while?

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!

Spartan421 posted:

So I just volunteered myself for some ABS work. I've never done this before. Oh god what have I gotten myself into the camera changes every two seconds :(

I always straight up ask which show it's for and ask for a sample template so that I know what I'm in for before I say it can be assigned to me. Some of their ABS work is okay but some of it is an insane nightmare and not even close to being worth what they are trying to pay. To be honest, though, I usually ignore all ABS requests from DT... the pay just isn't good enough.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

No Gravitas posted:

Will they fire you if you don't sign up for anything for a while?

I think you get put on some kind of inactive list or something.

Final count! 83 minutes, 9870 words, 279 instances of "you know"!

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'm a student and didn't do anything for like eight weeks because of an internship. It was back in March/April and I guess they were slow and didn't care. There was an instance where I didn't sign up for two or three weeks and they sent out an email making sure I was still alive.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, gonna take myself off the schedule for Friday. It kills me cause I keep thinking about all the money I could make, but if I drop the ball and get shooed off, then I won't be making any money, and I just turned in something almost an hour late from the in-email deadline for the second time in a week. That is not something I want to get into the habit of.

I'm going to go catch up on my sleep a bit, get today's work done, and then spend tomorrow getting everything else taken care of so I can work properly on Saturday.

I'm just glad it's not just me. If it's a common problem, means that they'll (hopefully) be more ready to forget this little hiccup once I get myself straightened out again. I intend to make this at least a significant chunk of my income, so I'd rather not burn any bridges in my first month doing it.

It's easy to get burned out on this kind of work so make sure you schedule some downtime every week. And don't be so hard on yourself!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

staplegun posted:

Are there any sites that you guys can recommend that need people to do subtitle timing as well as transcription? I'm looking to finally make the big bucks by leveraging my experience with subtitling ~anime~ (.srt, .rear end). Right now I've only found transcription/timing review jobs with Speechink and it's pretty bad. It might be tolerable if most people doing the transcriptions spoke the language and I didn't have to fix every other line but however they're automating the timing and capture groups makes it not worth doing. I can do a faster job just redoing the entire thing and salvaging what I can from the transcript, but at .35/m, why bother?

What sort of software do you use? If it can spit out .x32, .cap, or even .scc files, you might wanna PM me.

e; Poison Mushroom, for the love of God, take it slow. I just had to read through an email of a guy bitching *me* out because he decided he didn't want to take on a transcription job while neglecting to send me a revised schedule. Thankfully I had a gut feeling he was gonna pull that and gave him something non-urgent that I could easily reassign. Is it so much to ask for a little order and discipline?

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 12, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

e; Poison Mushroom, for the love of God, take it slow. I just had to read through an email of a guy bitching *me* out because he decided he didn't want to take on a transcription job while neglecting to send me a revised schedule. Thankfully I had a gut feeling he was gonna pull that and gave him something non-urgent that I could easily reassign. Is it so much to ask for a little order and discipline?

I'll have you know I've treated all of the DT staff with the utmost respect and professionalism, even when they can't be bothered to find my work receipt confirmations and bitch at me like I never confirmed that the files work and I can do the do in time :colbert:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Crunch Bucket posted:

I always straight up ask which show it's for and ask for a sample template so that I know what I'm in for before I say it can be assigned to me. Some of their ABS work is okay but some of it is an insane nightmare and not even close to being worth what they are trying to pay. To be honest, though, I usually ignore all ABS requests from DT... the pay just isn't good enough.

The shot-by-shot ABS is a loving nightmare. Fortunately, that's not the ABS style that most other clients use. 95% of the ABS work I've gotten from other clients is either a straight up untimed dialogue list, or a three-column format where I timecode each new speaker and add a very brief description of what's happening on camera at the time. Nothing more complex than "Alice and Bob in the car" kind of stuff.

I don't know if they still have it, but when DT was handling HBO they had a script-style ABS format that was actually pretty fun. I did the entire first season of The Newsroom and a big chunk of Game of Thrones on that format while I was there.

As for workflow, having a formal daily schedule seems to be the exception rather than the rule in the clients I've worked for. My clients send me emails when work's available, or if I'm looking for something to do I can send one to them and ask if anything's cooking. I ended up dropping DT because their 24-hour-advance-notice thing started conflicting with the clients that were offering me rush jobs; I ended up having to turn down a $2 per minute job to handle an hour of .70 multi-speaker audio and stopped putting myself on the schedule.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I'll have you know I've treated all of the DT staff with the utmost respect and professionalism, even when they can't be bothered to find my work receipt confirmations and bitch at me like I never confirmed that the files work and I can do the do in time :colbert:

Seeing something like this...

"Confirmed! Thanks, JKL!

- Jane Transcriber

Sent from my iPhone"

...within 15-30 minutes of a request will get you work from me forever and ever, amen. I mean, let's not kid ourselves here--who isn't attached to a smartphone/PDA in this day and age? But if you're gonna kick something back to me at 2:00 in the morning, it's like, get your availability schedule under control, for godssakes. You're not doing anyone any favors by holding off on any sort of response, confirmation or otherwise.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

who isn't attached to a smartphone/PDA in this day and age?

Up until I got this job, I wasn't, because I didn't own one :haw:

Although it stopped received emails after I got my SIM card swapped anyway. Now I just use it for receiving calls or very rarely sending texts, which is all I did with my old one.

E: Another raise, $0.85 for some kind of movie or documentary work. About 65 minutes of footage, only grabbing what the people on screen are saying to each other or to the camera while rolling? Sure, I'll do that for like $55.

I'm also giving this Dragon thing a go because, gently caress it, why not? Even with hardly any training and still not confident enough to just talk as fast as what's being said, I've just done 10 minutes of (basic) work in 20 minutes, which is astounding to me, and at basically no more effort than speaking, fixing it when it mishears, rewinding where I need to, and hitting enter every now and then. This is amazing, and makes me love my job even more since I don't need to typety-type all the time while my arms and back slowly wear down, don't need to rewind every X amount of seconds to make sure I got a word or whatever. Considering they're doing a sale on the Nuance site ($50 for Dragon Home Edition), well worth it, I'll make that price up in the time I'm already saving.

Who knows, if I can polish off the projects that I was gonna do Saturday and Sunday between now and tomorrow, I could make this invoice amazing. I'm so glad I bought this new microphone the other week now.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Has anyone done any transcription work for Pactera? They've responded to me but I'm worried I'll just waste a lot of time. I'm currently working full time and I'd need something quick. I'm fluent in Portuguese and English, and that should help me get a couple gigs. Placed first in oDesk's tests for EN-PT and EN-PTBR translation, so I'm cool in that area.