Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Teddybear posted:

I'm still trying to get my first hole in one. I keep misjudging the wind and roll, or overdoing it and hitting the flag.

None of my hole in ones have been on purpose. You will probably get some if you play sky islands enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I'm still waiting for an albatross, never got one in a golf game before.

I suppose it does run with the idea that they are much rarer in real life than a hole in one.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
NES Open is sublime. One of my favorite golf games. I NEED that outfit. I'm not sure I even have the DK course unlocked yet, but thanks.

Teddybear posted:

I'm still trying to get my first hole in one. I keep misjudging the wind and roll, or overdoing it and hitting the flag.

It is not going to happen on purpose, trust me.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
The one-on, one-putt challenge is killing me. The best I've done is 6 out of 9 holes, but I always screw up eventually.

I'm also sporting the Daisy -costume on my neckbeard-Mii. Cross-dressing is fun!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I'm trying to connect to an online game, and my game is stuck at the "Transferring Data" screen. I've been waiting for about ten minutes, and I can't get any progress in that progress bar. I'm thinking I may have some corrupt data, but I'm worried about which files I should erase in my system settings. There's a ~130 block chunk in "extra data", but I'm not sure what that would delete. I already backed up my saves.

Anybody else having this problem?

e: Below is the error code. Can't find much on Google.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 26, 2014

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

zfleeman posted:

I'm trying to connect to an online game, and my game is stuck at the "Transferring Data" screen. I've been waiting for about ten minutes, and I can't get any progress in that progress bar. I'm thinking I may have some corrupt data, but I'm worried about which files I should erase in my system settings. There's a ~130 block chunk in "extra data", but I'm not sure what that would delete. I already backed up my saves.

Anybody else having this problem?
Not sure what to tell you there. I've had errors connecting to community games, but nothing like that.

Anyway, I was collecting Moon Coins aiming for the 50 coin costume, and had this happen on Sky Islands Ring Master 3 not too long ago.

Which leads me to this question; what have been some of your more interesting shot positions? Good or bad, I'd like to hear about them.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I have about forty Star Coins, and I'm beginning to think there are at least one hundred of them. Is that immediately followed up by one hundred of these "Moon Coins?" I'm debating getting the season pass, but I just don't know if I'll ever exhaust the content in this game given my pretty lax play time thus far.

Also, do you all have a better way to experience the courses you unlock than just playing through the challenges? I just finished the Peach Gardens challenges without ever doing a stroke play through it. I think I'm just trying to wrap my head around there being no real progression method through this game after the Castle Club other than the coin challenges. That is, unless I'm missing something...

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Who at Nintendo thought a "One-On, One-Putt" tournament with Strong wind was a good idea?

zfleeman posted:

I have about forty Star Coins, and I'm beginning to think there are at least one hundred of them. Is that immediately followed up by one hundred of these "Moon Coins?" I'm debating getting the season pass, but I just don't know if I'll ever exhaust the content in this game given my pretty lax play time thus far.

Yes. The DLC courses add another 10 coins each, for a total of 160 star and 160 moon coins, unless my math is off. 3 (18 hole) + 1 (Sky Island) + 6 (9 hole gimmick courses) + 6 (DLC), I think.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Only time I've managed to get all 9 holes on that loving one on one in challenge happened during this new tourny. Doesn't even count :(

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Only time I've managed to get all 9 holes on that loving one on one in challenge happened during this new tourny. Doesn't even count :(

I hear you there man. I got to 7 last night and it seemed way too easy and thought I was in the zone, but realizing I'm in the zone took me out of the zone and I royally biffed it...drat fringe.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

zfleeman posted:

Also, do you all have a better way to experience the courses you unlock than just playing through the challenges? I just finished the Peach Gardens challenges without ever doing a stroke play through it. I think I'm just trying to wrap my head around there being no real progression method through this game after the Castle Club other than the coin challenges. That is, unless I'm missing something...
Online tournaments, mostly. Sometimes I'll do a stroke play or something if I just want to do some quickie golf or whatever. Challenges are good too but with the exception of the stroke/match coins its kind of a skewed way to experience a course.

I really like the way the game is structured, particularly how for the most part you can gently caress around and do whatever you want while still unlocking gear or making progress towards a costume or something. Really skirts the line between being relaxing and totally aimless.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wish there was some way to do matchmaking with DLC stuff. I don't know why they lock DLC characters off in particular, it's not like they're unbalanced.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zfleeman posted:

Aren't one of the challenges on each course to play through while maintaining a certain score?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Is there a youtube mario golf school thing anyone knows of? I consistently finish 18 holes by about 4 under par. I thought that was decent for the real world, but I get demolished in the goon tournament by -10 and cannot beat the mountain championship in the regular game where you need at least a -6

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Apparently when I was hammered after I got home last night I finished the 18 hole 1O1P challenge. :psyboom:

Also I can't believe they keep pushing 1O1P in EVERYTHING involved with Sky Island. What rear end in a top hat thought an Americas tournament should have that format?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

TenaciousJ posted:

Apparently when I was hammered after I got home last night I finished the 18 hole 1O1P challenge. :psyboom:

I was so pissed to find out that immediately after this:

This happened:

Nintendo doesn't say 'gently caress you, man' a lot, but it's a regular occurrence in this game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm just surprised Sky Island is all par 3s. It looks like there's a lot of other islands and sand traps and such that aren't being used, so I figured it was a standard course and 1O1P just used special tees.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

I'm just surprised Sky Island is all par 3s. It looks like there's a lot of other islands and sand traps and such that aren't being used, so I figured it was a standard course and 1O1P just used special tees.

It's basically the world's most vicious Pitch and Putt course ever devised.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Bruceski posted:

There's a precedent for this. The DK course in Toadstool Tour was the same all Par 3 layout that Sky Island uses, except the course is suspended in a giant tree instead of just floating there.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vishass posted:

Is there a youtube mario golf school thing anyone knows of? I consistently finish 18 holes by about 4 under par. I thought that was decent for the real world, but I get demolished in the goon tournament by -10 and cannot beat the mountain championship in the regular game where you need at least a -6

Treat it like real golf. When you hit the X button to see where your shot is going pay attention to how the grid lays out the terrain. Adjust for wind and pay attention to what club you're using. Keep in mind that that the lower the number of the club the less it will be affected by wind, and vice versa. The distance of the shot makes a difference as well.

The game does a good job of showing you where a shot will go if you pull it off perfectly (assuming there is no wind) and showing you the wind factor. But they don't play up how the club you're using will affect how the ball acts once it hits the ground. The lower the number the more forward force goes into the ball, and the farther it will roll. Clubs with higher numbers, especially the AW (auxiliary wedge) and the SW (sand wedge) hit the ball high up into the air. They're more susceptible to wind, but won't roll as far once they hit the ground. But if they land on red terrain they might roll further than you'd expect them to.

You don't have to go with the default club the game gives you on every shot. Pull out one of your power shots and go with a higher numbered club so you can get closer to the hole using a club that won't roll as far.

Also consider that if you're trying to make a shot that's not full power then you have to compensate if you don't get it exactly right. Be prepared to either do a light topspin or a light backspin if you over or under shoot it. Plan for the perfect shot, but be prepared to compensate if you gently caress up your timing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Bruceski posted:

When I look at all 18 holes, I can't help but feel that the course uses some of the greens multiple times. They just change which island/tee you'll be pitching from.

It's kind of the same with the Toadstool Tour and Advance Tour One-On, One-Putt courses.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

When I look at all 18 holes, I can't help but feel that the course uses some of the greens multiple times. They just change which island/tee you'll be pitching from.

It's kind of the same with the Toadstool Tour and Advance Tour One-On, One-Putt courses.

I believe how that course works is that it's the same 9 holes for the Front and Back 9, but each hole has 2 greens and 2 sets of tee boxes, with a different set being used for each half.

EDIT: In fact, remember this picture I posted a few days ago?

That was actually a green I was taking my 2nd shot from. I think that's where the pin would be if it was hole 4 I was playing on, instead of hole 13 (and if it wasn't a ring challenge, of course.)

Double Edit: Looking over the challenge again, there are actually 3 greens on this hole! That's interesting. I wonder how many actual hole layouts are on this course now.

gameface fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 2, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I finally got 2DS back last weekend, promptly downloaded the demo (never played any mario sports game) and loved it. Just purchased it and I'm ready for some tourney play :getin:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

zfleeman posted:

I was so pissed to find out that immediately after this:

This happened:

Nintendo doesn't say 'gently caress you, man' a lot, but it's a regular occurrence in this game.

Even though I agree, it is kind of cool how he says something along the line of "I personally witnessed your expertise, great job!" which as lame as it sounds, felt pretty good after slaving away at it for a while. Having finally beat the 1o1p stuff I'm finally able to golf it up again normally. The first shot that approached the fringe had me making GBS threads my pants, just because I'm was sooooo used to the 1o1p format. That poo poo did make me a lot better though, so what everyone said here was spot on.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I failed the first championship because I had some bad luck on the last few holes and got a boogey, allowing Bowser to just suddenly win. gently caress you stupid overgrown turtle!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The one-on one-putt challenge is bullshit, the fact that you have to talk to laiktu to restart it EVERY GODDAMN TIME YOU FAIL just rubs in how awful I am, and gently caress you thread for convincing me to buy this game :mad:

this is like my own personal Dark Souls

e: gently caress

e2: MADE IT TO HOLE 6 SUCK MY DICK CAMELOT

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 12, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When is Rosalina and the last pack coming out? I kinda burned myself out and hoping for new content.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Talk to Kamek and buy a shitload of mulligans.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When is Rosalina and the last pack coming out? I kinda burned myself out and hoping for new content.
I'm gonna guess a week or 2. They'll probably do another DLC tournament for the current pack before the next one comes out. There was a release schedule posted somewhere but I forget exactly when it was due.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

homeless snail posted:

Talk to Kamek and buy a shitload of mulligans.

this motherfucker is shaking me down for 10k coins for each and I only have 20k total after beating the tournaments and like half the challenges, is there a good way to grind coins?

and seriously hole 6 is a loving garbage dump, the green is like the size of a fingernail

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Online tournaments can give you mad cash if you play well enough to place in trophy range.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I cannot remember exactly how many coins I've made from the online tournaments, but I do remember each gold trophy netting me more than 15k. Silvers are a respectable 4 digit number, iirc.

E: 53k for gold on Calloway 1 :stare:

TenaciousJ fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 12, 2014

nem-x
Dec 11, 2004

A deaf-mute

So I'm doing the new castle tourney, and all the greens are blue in color. Is there anything special about this?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
The balls move twice as quickly on them. Be careful with your spins and your putts.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mario Wiki says the 19th.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

How are the courses and the difficulty in this game? I tried the demo but I wanted to make sure there were a decent number of complex courses to play with.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I have no bloody idea what sorcery I employed today, but I somehow got a -20 on the Castle Tournament with those Tournament Greens and basically no fairways with rear end in a top hat trees everywhere. 21st in the entire world.
:confuoot:
Proof coming soon.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 14, 2014

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Don't worry, a bunch of poopsockers will push you down to 121st with their -21 scores.

I honestly wish they would only let you have one shot at a tournament. Ruins the authenticity if you can just play it over and over until you just happen to get that one godly run that wins you the gold.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I wish that placing in a Handicap tournament changed your score and if you want to try at it again, get back in range bitch :colbert:
Bloody -9's filling up the Low Handicap ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Roluth posted:

I have no bloody idea what sorcery I employed today, but I somehow got a -20 on the Castle Tournament with those Tournament Greens and basically no fairways with rear end in a top hat trees everywhere. 21st in the entire world.
:confuoot:
Proof coming soon.

You employed the exact same sorcery you employ EVERY GODDAMN WEEK IN THE GOON GOLF TOURNEY. Seriously, how do you be so good? Also, where is this new Castle Tournament?

• Locked thread