Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Suspicious Cook posted:

I haven't played 3D World, so correct me if I'm wrong and he's now amazing, but were there really a number of people clamoring to play a Toad game? He's always just been the Scrappy Doo of the Mario Universe to me.

It's not Toad. It's Captain Toad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I haven't played 3D World, so correct me if I'm wrong and he's now amazing, but were there really a number of people clamoring to play a Toad game? He's always just been the Scrappy Doo of the Mario Universe to me.

It's not so much about Toad as his levels in 3D World being a unique take on platformers by giving you a character who can't jump, and thus turns even a Shy Guy or Goomba into a threat. Also, you have to do camera aspect changing to know what the hell to do, which is nice.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Youtube and Netflix work really well since you have a touchscreen keyboard right there. Haven't tried twitch personally.

I just checked for you and I'm now watching a video of 3 fat nerds sitting around a table talking about some boring PS4 game

Twitch works.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Cook posted:

The Captain Toad levels in 3D world are honestly some of the most creative parts of the game, if they can keep that standard of quality up over an entire title...its gonna be GREAT.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

jivjov posted:

The Captain Toad levels in 3D world are honestly some of the most creative parts of the game, if they can keep that standard of quality up over an entire title...its gonna be GREAT.
That's the thing though, if the treehouse stream is anything to go by, they have gone, like, WAY beyond the standard of quality of those levels in 3D World.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah. What we've seen is above and beyond what was in 3D world and for the better.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I know there's always a "chance" when it comes to Nintendo, but are 3D Land and World the only games of these types we'll see on the respective consoles? SImilar to how NSMB games are one per?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, it's region locked, you'll need a PAL region (UK/EU/AU/NZ) code.

EU gets a better game selection too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PrBacterio posted:

That's the thing though, if the treehouse stream is anything to go by, they have gone, like, WAY beyond the standard of quality of those levels in 3D World.

Yeah, try to find a video from the Treehouse stream when they showed off the "boss" stage with the lava dragons. It's loving nuts

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

noirstronaut posted:

I know there's always a "chance" when it comes to Nintendo, but are 3D Land and World the only games of these types we'll see on the respective consoles? SImilar to how NSMB games are one per?

There's always a chance for a Mario RPG game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

There's always a chance of a Mario RPG game.

Yeah but they screwed up the last two Paper marios.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Galactic posted:

How is the media on this thing? Like can I watch twitch, youtube and netflix? I am really close to getting one tomorrow.

They all work really well. Don't use the youtube app though. Use the internet browser. This thing has easily the best non computer based internet browser on a device and many is the time myself or my friend will be doing something on our computer and have the tablet sitting next to it on a stand with a fighting game tourney or something on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Speaking on media devices, if you have a spare $75 or something, just get a used Apple TV or even a Roku. The Wii U does it, but it's not worthwhile.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Commissar Ken posted:

They all work really well. Don't use the youtube app though. Use the internet browser. This thing has easily the best non computer based internet browser on a device and many is the time myself or my friend will be doing something on our computer and have the tablet sitting next to it on a stand with a fighting game tourney or something on.

:confused: I may use my youtube app more than anything else on there. I'm using it right now! The youtube app on the WiiU is awesome. The youtube app on the 3DS though is um... another story

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
And most of the phones we have in our pockets do that stuff too, I don't think anyone is looking to get a WiiU just to use as a streaming device. But as far as what it can do, it's serviceable for most needs.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Macaluso posted:

:confused: I may use my youtube app more than anything else on there. I'm using it right now! The youtube app on the WiiU is awesome. The youtube app on the 3DS though is um... another story

I don't know if they've updated it recently but it used to be the same jank youtube app that was on the PS3. Doesn't show everything and using it or searching for anything was a chore. Meanwhile the browser is just straight up regular youtube.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

XboxPants posted:

Is there somewhere that the full Treehouse video is archived, or is Nintendo just dumb and they don't want me to be able to watch a show where they pimp all their games?

Sort of late, but quite a few were uploaded here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/NinEverything/videos

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

noirstronaut posted:

Outside of DLC, probably not.

It seems like Captain Toad might up being 3D World's version of Luigi U, though, which probably isn't what you're hoping for.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Live twitch works but you can't watch archives

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Conspiracy talk: Anyone think that the WiiU refurbs aren't actually refurbs, but new units they are repackaging to do an artificial price drop without pissing off other owners?

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Haven't seen this posted yet: Conan plays Super Smash Bros. for his Clueless Gamer segment. It's Hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1hkSUGgPC8

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

The browser lets you put up the video on the screen while you look up more videos/go to any other website you want on the pad

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Conspiracy talk: Anyone think that the WiiU refurbs aren't actually refurbs, but new units they are repackaging to do an artificial price drop without pissing off other owners?

I wouldn't doubt if they had something to do with the Basic set recall, change out the flash memory, slap a new exterior shell on it, and there you go.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

The game will give you wicked hand cramps and they are loving WORTH IT.

See, this is why I never played that game - if it's bad enough to cause hand cramps in most people, I'll probably get them, and gently caress you if you think any game's worth getting a claw hand. The game's clearly not designed well enough to be playable without inducing pain, so why should I expect a fulfilling experience from it? That along with all the rail shooting, Kid Icarus really does sound like the biggest turd ever and I really wish you guys would actually point out why you like it rather than saying "it will hurt you! Buy it now! Just because it's good somehow!!!!!!!". Because there are thousands - thousands! of games these days that guaranteed wont cramp my hands. Unless Paluetnia pops out of the screen and gives free blowjobs, the game's just not worth playing.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Take your left hand and put your left index finger on the shoulder button of your 3DS. Put your left thumb on the circle pad. Take out the stylus with your right hand and put it over the touch screen.

Is that comfortable for you? If yes then go loving buy it immediately.

E: If no then go loving buy it immediately.

This post literally has no reason why I should go buy Kid Icarus other than because he says so, even in light of the cramping. Keep sucking them Nintendicks, King of Springz.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Comrade Flynn posted:

I wouldn't be mad about this at all (bought mine day after release). The more people that own Wii Us, the better it will be for all of us.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did Nintendo stealthily discontinue the basic or was there an official announcement?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

gay skull posted:

See, this is why I never played that game - if it's bad enough to cause hand cramps in most people, I'll probably get them, and gently caress you if you think any game's worth getting a claw hand. The game's clearly not designed well enough to be playable without inducing pain, so why should I expect a fulfilling experience from it? That along with all the rail shooting, Kid Icarus really does sound like the biggest turd ever and I really wish you guys would actually point out why you like it rather than saying "it will hurt you! Buy it now! Just because it's good somehow!!!!!!!". Because there are thousands - thousands! of games these days that guaranteed wont cramp my hands. Unless Paluetnia pops out of the screen and gives free blowjobs, the game's just not worth playing.

This post literally has no reason why I should go buy Kid Icarus other than because he says so, even in light of the cramping. Keep sucking them Nintendicks, King of Springz.

It's good because it's a really fun, fast-paced and charming action game with a ton of weapons with meaningful variety, an actually good loot/fusion system that goes beyond most games' "BIGGER NUMBER WOW" stuff, a ton of bonus stuff to do and collect and a fun multiplayer mode. The controls take some getting used to, but the game doesn't hurt your hands unless you don't know how to use hands. You are a giant angry goober.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kid Icarus Uprising is Smash: Shooter Edition. If that sounds fun for you, check it out, it goes on sale every now and again.

noirstronaut posted:

Did Nintendo stealthily discontinue the basic or was there an official announcement?

It's officially discontinued in Japan, I don't think they've announced it anywhere else, but they definitely stopped shipping them. Same with the regular 3DS, I think.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

KI:U also has this really cool thing where you use up currency to increase the next level's difficulty, which in turn rewards you with a ton of currency by clearing it. You feel like a loving pro earning buckets of cash from raising the level all the way up to 9 and surviving.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

They had retailers return existing stock since they assumed at launch that the Basic would be the most popular SKU and they were extremely wrong about that. Some got repackaged in that Skylanders bundle, but apparently more than 50% of early shipments were Basic units so there were probably still plenty left over.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Also, what's the gameplay like in ZombiU? Is it a horror game or a game with zombies and guns? I'm not a huge fan of horror at any measure and don't really want to be the guy who turns off his Wii U because he got scared.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Also, what's the gameplay like in ZombiU? Is it a horror game or a game with zombies and guns? I'm not a huge fan of horror at any measure and don't really want to be the guy who turns off his Wii U because he got scared.

It's the most pure survival horror game to come out in a long time. I'm at the end sequence but still haven't beat it because the completely overbearing atmosphere makes it hard to play it for extended periods of time.

I've had it since launch. :buddy:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

In my experience: idk, i'm a loving babby and got scared and deleted the demo before I even got to a zombie.

Heard it's super tense, makes you look at the pad for the inventory so you're vulnerable when picking weapons, have very limited ammo and you can get very easily killed by just a couple of zombies. You also get permadeaths and start new characters, having to go pick up your old backpack from the zombified you.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

These eShop prices might make me reconsider going entirely digital. Mario Kart 8 costs ~$70 CDN after taxes! :monocle:

With the free game I can probably justify it to myself as two $35 games which is reasonable... Speaking of which, how is New Super Mario Bros U? It's the one in the free game promo I'm most considering because my Wii U came with Wind Waker and I'm not particularly crazy about Pikmin. I played NSMB2 on 3DS and found it kind of underwhelming to be honest. Does NSMBU pick up the slack?

Also, are most Wii U games this dang expensive in the eShop?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

These eShop prices might make me reconsider going entirely digital. Mario Kart 8 costs ~$70 CDN after taxes! :monocle:

With the free game I can probably justify it to myself as two $35 games which is reasonable... Speaking of which, how is New Super Mario Bros U? It's the one in the free game promo I'm most considering because my Wii U came with Wind Waker and I'm not particularly crazy about Pikmin. I played NSMB2 on 3DS and found it kind of underwhelming to be honest. Does NSMBU pick up the slack?

Yeah, but with the digital deluxe promotion you'll get points for Mario Kart and the free game you choose, so you get ten bucks back right away. So it's like two games for 30 bucks each.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kaubocks posted:

Does NSMBU pick up the slack?

Did you like NSMBWii? If so, it's pretty much that but better and with more power ups and content (especially content) than ever. And also DLC in form of a campaign centered around Luigi (who gets his usual high jump, low traction physics for that campaign) with shorter and more challenging levels. Most agree it's the best of the lot if you're only going to buy one NSMB.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I only ever played like 2-3 levels of NSMBWii so I can't really judge.

Natron posted:

Yeah, but with the digital deluxe promotion you'll get points for Mario Kart and the free game you choose, so you get ten bucks back right away. So it's like two games for 30 bucks each.

...tell me more about this "ten bucks back". :allears:

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
NSMBU was the first game I got and I really enjoyed it. It's a good 2d mario platformer and you most likely won't regret it.

It didn't take long to 'beat' it but getting 100% stretched it out. All in all its a fun game.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Kaubocks posted:

I only ever played like 2-3 levels of NSMBWii so I can't really judge.

...tell me more about this "ten bucks back". :allears:

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/static.do

Basically, it's a 10% back program for buying digital. 500 points = a $5 eshop card. Buying Mario Kart is one game, and the free download of the games in the promotion also count towards these points, so you get 2 $5 eshop cards.

So think of it as Mario Kart + NSMBU/Pikmin 3 + Pushmo World (with the money back when its out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Kaubocks posted:

Aren't all new games in Canada $70 dollars now due your currency taking a dump? I don't live in Canada but there were plenty of articles claiming games were going to be jumping in price.

• Locked thread