Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
“Dear Tony Abbott

My name is Orlando Burcham, I am 11 years old and I would like to know why you don’t allow “gay marriage” in Australia. Because the majority of Australians are happily married, so why are you stopping all the gay men/women to be married in this beautiful country?

My mother is gay and even worse your own sister is gay! And thousands more are as well. You have actually met my mum (Councillor Cordelia Troy) who is a member of the Liberal Party and she was deputy major at the time. It is so pathetic that you aren’t letting the gay people of Australia and other countries get married here. Millions of people in the world and when they come to Australia and think “wow this place is great! Let’s get married here!” And then they remember that they can’t. So they spend thousands of dollars to go somewhere they can get married. My mum is married but she had to go to New York, which took a lot of money.

You were elected to represent our country, not yourself. Just because you think it’s wrong, does not give you the right to make it illegal. Doesn’t our opinions matter to you? Just because you’re the Prime Minister, which by the way does not give you all the power.

I hope you change your mind.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
“Dear Orlando

Thank you for letting me know your views about same sex marriage.

I appreciate the deep feelings that many in the community have on either side of the issue.

The Government supports the current definition of marriage contained in the Marriage Act 1961. Any change to this policy would be a matter for the Coalition Party Room.

My personal opinion is to support the existing definition of marriage.

Though we disagree on this issue, I respect the views you have put forward.

Ongoing dialogue between government and citizens keeps our democracy strong.

Thank you again for writing to me.

Yours sincerely

Tony Abbott”

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Is fatshaming Joe Hockey okay?

Why would it be?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You won't believe this one simple trick discovered by an 11 year old to get gay marriage legalised.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This is why I stopped reading this thread. You have to filter through 10 pages of you idiots getting baited over and over and over to get 1/2 a page of good content.

That's why we have the GBS thread, so you can practice.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

Was that actual received correspondence? It's a pretty decent approximation of what I would expect in reply to a letter like that.

Apparently, Chris Lilley's latest opus has pissed off the Tongan community.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-12/jonah-from-tonga-social-media-reaction/5518516

quote:

The Tongan community says it is sending a clear message to the world: "We are not Jonah."

Community members upset by the ABC television series Jonah From Tonga, which finished on Wednesday night, have denounced Chris Lilley's stereotyping of Tongans with emotive videos, posts and photos.

The Facebook page My Name is NOT Jonah has several posts from young Tongan people declaring they are proud of their heritage.

They debunk Lilley's stereotypes about going to prison and being kicked out of school and proudly detail their achievements.

La Trobe University professor Helen Lee has told Radio National that Jonah From Tonga was highly offensive to the Tongan community and the social media campaign had been building.

Tevita Katoa Lameise Palu posted a video last month where he declared: "We are well-educated people, we are not idiots. We are not the stereotype."

He said he had never been to jail, had never been kicked out of school, had gained his HSC and was studying photography.

:snip:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bent Wookiee posted:

Was that actual received correspondence? It's a pretty decent approximation of what I would expect in reply to a letter like that.

Apparently, Chris Lilley's latest opus has pissed off the Tongan community.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-12/jonah-from-tonga-social-media-reaction/5518516

Wow, who could have foreseen this? :allears: Turns out brownface still isn't a sign of respect.

Also yeah, that's the actual reply the kid got. It's pretty great. (It's actually awful.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bent Wookiee posted:

Yep

Screw the news.com.au link

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I love how Tony just states "That's my personal opinion" as if that is totally enough as to why marriage laws are as they are.

The thing about equal marriage rights is that I've not heard any argument against it that isn't based either religiously or from personal belief.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Joe Hockey has become delusional.

quote:

Treasurer Joe Hockey denies government has lost the budget battle

Date
June 12, 2014 - 2:26PM

Treasurer Joe Hockey has defended a budget speech to the Sydney Institute, saying it is not a sign his government has lost the argument with voters over tough fiscal measures.

As thousands of people joined a union-backed rally in Melbourne to protest against the federal budget, Mr Hockey repeated his assertion the budget was "fair" and again dismissed criticism of his budget strategy as "political in nature".

In a speech to the Sydney Institute on Wednesday night, the Treasurer said criticism of the budget had drifted into the "class warfare" of the 1970s and opponents were wrong to claim the budget was unfair or disproportionately hurt the poor.

Speaking to reporters in Darwin on Thursday, Mr Hockey was asked whether delivering a speech to argue the budget was fair was a sign the government had already lost the battle to sell it.

"No, no, if I'd lost the argument I wouldn't have delivered the speech," Mr Hockey said.

"The fact is I delivered that speech to prove to the Australian people that the budget is fair, that it provides Australians with a fair go."

Mr Hockey said most people, once they saw the details of the budget, realised they were getting a "fair go" and new opportunities in health, education and infrastructure.

"It is about time, it is about time that the Labor Party start providing an alternative," he said.

He accused Opposition Leader Bill Shorten of returning to the "failed tax policies" of the previous government "as a way of providing some form of alternative to the budget".

"Can I say to Mr Shorten, all of those initiatives that the previous government announced which we have abandoned were undeliverable," Mr Hockey said.

Mr Shorten on Thursday accused the Treasurer on dividing Australians into "lifters" and "leaners''.

''Labor and I reject the cynicism that divides Australia into the so-called lifters - successful businessmen, Coalition ministers, conservative media commentators - and the leaners - the disabled, the disabled pensioners, the people going to the doctor, the fixed-income pensioners and families with children between six and 16 receiving modest payments,'' he said.

In Melbourne, thousands have marched in a "Bust the Budget" rally against hardline budget measures.''They say cutback, we say fight back,'' the protesters chanted.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz34OsboOSr

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lid posted:

"If my budget was poo poo, I'd most assuredly tell you. Since I don't think my budget is poo poo, you must be wrong to think it is."

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I've put my first person onto my ignore list. I feel this is the first part of becoming a real womyn. :kiddo:

For best results, install the SAPlusPlus GreaseMonkey script:
http://userscripts.org:8080/scripts/show/94231

And use the Hellban option. Not only does it hide all posts by that user, it blocks their comments from other people posts as well. Like the script page says, it effectively erases them from existence.

I find it's good to clear out the Hellban list every couple months, just to see if things have changed or not.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Something something shared grievance.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

Something something shared grievance.

Speaking of which

quote:

Unemployed youth must apply for 40 jobs a month

Date
June 12, 2014 - 11:28AM

Dan Harrison
Health and Indigenous Affairs Correspondent

Young job seekers forced to wait six months for unemployment benefits will be required to apply for 40 jobs a month, document their efforts to find work and meet regularly with an employment service provider, despite not receiving any payments.

Under proposals announced in the budget, job seekers aged under 30 will be ineligible for payments for six months after applying for benefits.

But despite not receiving any money, job seekers will be required to meet the activity requirements for unemployment benefits throughout this period.

If they fail to do so, their waiting period will be extended by four weeks.

Job seekers will be required to attend monthly appointments with an employment service provider, and show evidence, such as a job search diary, that they have looked for 40 jobs that month.

A spokeswoman for Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews defended the requirements.

"These expectations are reasonable, and similar to what is currently in place for job seekers on Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance," the spokeswoman said.

"It is essential that young job seekers access the employment services available during the waiting period in order to give themselves the best chance of getting a job and remaining connected with the labour market."

The spokeswoman said one month would be discounted from a job seeker's waiting period for every year of work history, up to a maximum discount of five months.

Greens Senator Rachel Siewert said making people live for six months with no income support would make it more difficult for job seekers to meet their obligations.

''The government hasn't thought through how this cruel measure will be implemented, how compliance will work or how people will live for six months, let alone how they'll meet any obligations within that time,'' she said.

''People don't want to be stuck on income support. People want to be working, but the government's approach is making things much tougher.''

Officials told a Senate hearing last week that $230 million had been allocated to providing those affected by the changes with emergency relief such as food parcels or help paying utility bills.

The government expects 550,000 applications for such support over four years.

Labor has vowed to oppose the changes to unemployment benefits, which the government estimates will provide savings of $1.2 billion over four years.

In his budget reply speech, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten described the changes as "perhaps the single most heartless measure in this brutal budget", which would "create a forgotten generation of Australians - shut out of the workforce".

Mr Shorten said the changes would condemn young people to a "potentially endless cycle of poverty when they should be getting a hand to find a job".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/unemployed-youth-must-apply-for-40-jobs-a-month-20140612-39yq8.html#ixzz34OxB5opb

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Who would want to employ someone dumb enough to work for free for six months?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

New C&D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wETpW43WYjo

Lid posted:

:mensch: There is no dissent against the budget! :mensch:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lid posted:

Speaking of which

Wow, they're now asking us to do what's literally impossible to actually get money. I've been applying to every job that even casually mentions my expertise, and I can't actually expand that net further because looking for jobs based on 'writing' bring up jobs that have the word in the ad.

I don't even hit the 8-10 a fortnight count normally, there's no way in hell I'd hit 40 a month. Hell, there haven't even BEEN any jobs in the sector this past week. Probalby because I'm in South Australia, and in the job-dry country of 2014 Australia, SA is the driest.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 12, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
By global standards, the cost of living in Australia is reasonable.

Australians are purchasing homes out of proportion to their income. Purchase a modest home and pay it off sooner. Stop the dinning out, travel, drinks at the pub, smoking, gambling, entertaining and invest that money in your home.

The only way to reduce housing costs is to examine the cost structure.

Australian building methods are European 19th century.

Europe, USA and Canada stop using those construction methods because the costs are prohibited and started using cheaper alternative methods.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Lid posted:

The Government supports the current definition of marriage contained in the Marriage Act 1961. Any change to this policy would be a matter for the Coalition Party Room.

When speaking to 11 year olds, I always cite statute to legitimise my personal opinion.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cleretic posted:

Wow, they're now asking us to do what's literally impossible to actually get money. I've been applying to every job that even casually mentions my expertise, and I can't actually expand that net further because looking for jobs based on 'writing' bring up jobs that have the word in the name.

I don't even hit the 8-10 a fortnight count normally, there's no way in hell I'd hit 40 a month. Hell, there haven't even BEEN any jobs in the sector this past week. Probalby because I'm in South Australia, and in the job-dry country of 2014 Australia, SA is the driest.

There's your issue, Cleretic. I had six weeks on Newstart once - you're not supposed to only go for things that casually mention your expertise, you're supposed to apply for anything and everything.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

HookShot posted:

Everyone's also ignoring that regardless of whether a pregnant woman is willing and capable of working, a pregnant woman in Australia is incredibly unlikely to be hired for any job - in fact, employers are more likely to lay them off, even if it is illegal.

Those On My Left posted:

In the real world, in Australia, in 2014, pregnant women (especially poor pregnant women who need income support) are going to face special disabilities and prejudices in the job market.

I thought this was so glaringly obvious that it wouldn't even need stating. Pregnant women in Australia no matter how much effort is done to avoid it, are going to face discrimination when seeking employment.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This is why I stopped reading this thread. You have to filter through 10 pages of you idiots getting baited over and over and over to get 1/2 a page of good content.

Scroll past everything while keeping an eye out for one sentence paragraphs or giant quote blocks that usually indicate a news item. It's the only way.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So has it suddenly become part of the cost of business to field all the walk in job applicants? I know what my response to Centrelink would be if they asked if <name of victim> had applied for a job <specified time>. "I'll have to check up and get back to you."

:ssh: You can lie your arse off in the confidence that, should anyone ever check, the business involved will either have no record of anything or fob them off. They didn't even give this a cursory thinking through.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Milky Moor posted:

There's your issue, Cleretic. I had six weeks on Newstart once - you're not supposed to only go for things that casually mention your expertise, you're supposed to apply for anything and everything.

Is there any reason I shouldn't apply for the poo poo that I literally can't do, side from 'you might accidentally get the job'?

I'm not entirely sure how to do this 'apply to everything' thing.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah this is the answer they're going to give. Centrelink even talks about the jobseeker being obliged to accept any job that they're capable of doing.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

:ssh: You can lie your arse off in the confidence that, should anyone ever check, the business involved will either have no record of anything or fob them off. They didn't even give this a cursory thinking through.

Don't so this, some small business owners are arseholes (shocking I know) and will just say "no I've never heard of them" if they can't remember or have no intention of looking.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Don't so this, some small business owners are arseholes (shocking I know) and will just say "no I've never heard of them" if they can't remember or have no intention of looking.
Which doesn't work out very well, for Centerlink when you show proof that you did go to them. The whole system is a ridiculous waste of everyone's time, sham farce etc. Also as a small business owner I resent your remark. I'm only an arsehole part time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't apply for the poo poo that I literally can't do, side from 'you might accidentally get the job'?

The intent is you apply at supermarkets and fast food and anything like that.

Remember that in the world Tony and his ilk come from job applications aren't really a thing. You have a vague aptitude for something and a rich contact hooks you up with work in that field. In their eyes if you aren't immediately walking into a job then you clearly aren't trying hard enough.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
There's some good stuff in Hockey's speech, such as this gem:

quote:

Official data shows average real household disposable income has gone from $540 per week in 1994 to over $820 per week now – that means the average Australian household is almost $290 per week better off today in real terms than they were around two decades ago.

$540 x inflation since 1994 (70.4%) = $920

hmmmmmmm

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Jumpingmanjim posted:

By global standards, the cost of living in Australia is reasonable.

Australians are purchasing homes out of proportion to their income. Purchase a modest home and pay it off sooner. Stop the dinning out, travel, drinks at the pub, smoking, gambling, entertaining and invest that money in your home.

What if doing fun things is what makes life worth living and you don't want to buy a house 50km out of the city because that's the only place you can afford to buy without tithing 50% of your pay to the bank for the next 30 years?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I would and did. It's not like someone can question you on it. 'I thought I had a decent chance for (bullshit reason),' is what I'd say if I was called on it. But I never was.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

But forty jobs in a month is insane. That'd exhaust every possibility around me in Oakleigh in that first month. And then what?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Milky Moor posted:

But forty jobs in a month is insane. That'd exhaust every possibility around me in Oakleigh in that first month. And then what?

Apply again.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Apply for dream jobs far afield, and say "willing to relocate"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Milky Moor posted:

I would and did. It's not like someone can question you on it. 'I thought I had a decent chance for (bullshit reason),' is what I'd say if I was called on it. But I never was.

Well, at least I can do that.

Senor Tron posted:

The intent is you apply at supermarkets and fast food and anything like that.

Yeeeeah, gently caress that one. My sisters aren't terribly fantastic role models for anything, given one's a high school dropout and the other worked at Pizza Hut for nearly a decade until moving away, but both of them agreed on one thing: No fast food jobs, no retail jobs.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
John Birmingham suggested in one of his earlier books to apply for executive level jobs listed in those quarter page ads in the newspaper. Helps to pad out your numbers and unlike small business they're almost guaranteed to send you a formal rejection letter.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Milky Moor posted:

Not to mention that applying doesn't guarantee poo poo.
You apply for 40 Jobs. Lets say you get 20 interviews? Each interview has probably, at least 10-20 people competing for the role. One friend of mine applied for 160 in 3 months jobs when she moved to Brisbane. Got lots of interviews, lots of second interviews where she was "in the top 3/top 5". After 3 months still had no work.

Keep in mind you have limited income for petrol/public transport.

If you are applying for jobs out of town. Enjoy the fact you can't AFFORD to move cities.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Murodese posted:

There's some good stuff in Hockey's speech, such as this gem:

$540 x inflation since 1994 (70.4%) = $920

hmmmmmmm

Assuming the actual numbers aren't wrong, what Joe has said there is not necessarily incorrect since he is comparing two values in real terms.

Your calculation says that $540 in 1994 has the same real value as $920 today. Using the same 70.4% inflation rate, if Joe's $820 is in today's dollars then he's saying that households in 1994 had a disposable income of $317 per week.

It seems way better to just quote a percentage increase rather than a dollar value though.

Clugg fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 12, 2014

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Haters Objector posted:

What if doing fun things is what makes life worth living and you don't want to buy a house 50km out of the city because that's the only place you can afford to buy without tithing 50% of your pay to the bank for the next 30 years?

And then the fuel and wear and tear costs from your two hour commute, and the increased price of groceries, siphon away everything you saved by buying a $350k house 50km out instead of a $500k studio apartment in the city.

But that's OK because the cost of living is just fine, why aren't you renting like everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Joe's a loving idiot so he's probably just equating the value of money today to 1994.

• Locked thread