  • Post
M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nice! did you loctite that shift lever?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I installed SW-Motech locks on my quick-lock saddlebag racks. Now you'll need more that a screwdriver to walk away with $800 worth of luggage!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

petercodeine posted:

Finally swapped the bald-rear end BT-45s out for a set of Pilot Streets.

The first ride out, I thought I had hosed something up when torquing down the steering stem bolt, since swerving and changing direction felt a little more sluggish.

Pretty sure I just forgot how new tires feel, and I actually have some grip again. I feel like I'm glued to the road in the best way possible. All I need to do now is set up the line and the bike tracks it perfectly.

Is any of this significant to me specifically because it's my first time on radials (besides dampening of bumps and imperfections), or is it just cuz I'm not rolling on squared-off rubber anymore?

Yeah it's always a surprise going from square to round tyres, doubly so when you change brands/models as they'll have slightly different profiles.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Going from squared off Shinkos to new Pirelli Angel STs certainly was noticeable!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Fresh oil, oil filter, drained half my gas into my lawnmower can, and evicted a Texas Motorcycle Spider from under my seat.

Also I ordered some valve shims. I'm a few thousand miles overdue and I think I may be having issues related to that :v:

e: I know I can just check the drat thing without any shims on hand, and that it's not hard. I'm just suffering from a severe bout of 10-14hr workdays right now and I really don't feel like taking apart the motor at 4 in the morning.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 9, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

So I've been having problems with Bike Bandit's shipping times recently, especially with critical parts I needed to repair my SV-650 after a wreck. Well, I ordered a new Pirelli rear tire for my R1 Friday afternoon, got a "your order has shipped!" email today at 9:30, and my tires, (and S&S gauntlets I ordered with them) appeared on my porch around 1pm, I literally did a double-take when I saw the tire sitting there I was so surprised.

So I headed up to the ol' storage unit and pulled the rear wheel (along with the baldest, most squared-off Pilot Power ever) off of the R-1 and threw it in the wagon, took a whole 15 minutes, why the gently caress do dealerships charge twice as much if you bring in the wheel alone VS the wheel still attached to the bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

So I've been having problems with Bike Bandit's shipping times recently, especially with critical parts I needed to repair my SV-650 after a wreck. Well, I ordered a new Pirelli rear tire for my R1 Friday afternoon, got a "your order has shipped!" email today at 9:30, and my tires, (and S&S gauntlets I ordered with them) appeared on my porch around 1pm, I literally did a double-take when I saw the tire sitting there I was so surprised.

So I headed up to the ol' storage unit and pulled the rear wheel (along with the baldest, most squared-off Pilot Power ever) off of the R-1 and threw it in the wagon, took a whole 15 minutes,why the gently caress do dealerships charge twice as much if you bring in the wheel alone VS the wheel still attached to the bike?

:raise: you mean the other way around, right? AFAIK because some bikes are really cunty to take wheels off of so it averages out, and it means freeing up a stand/lift/whatever to do it as well as generating the associated paperwork when you're working on A Vehicle instead of just some random wheels. Not to mention they're then responsible if the bike doesn't ride straight or the chain flaps around or a bolt comes loose or whatever the gently caress, there is just exponentially more hassle from an administrative point of view.

I work on cars every day and I'd be absolutely thrilled if customers routinely rocked up with four wheels and tyres on their own, with no vehicle to put them on, and told me to fit them.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Slavvy posted:

:raise: you mean the other way around, right? AFAIK because some bikes are really cunty to take wheels off of so it averages out, and it means freeing up a stand/lift/whatever to do it as well as generating the associated paperwork when you're working on A Vehicle instead of just some random wheels. Not to mention they're then responsible if the bike doesn't ride straight or the chain flaps around or a bolt comes loose or whatever the gently caress, there is just exponentially more hassle from an administrative point of view.

I work on cars every day and I'd be absolutely thrilled if customers routinely rocked up with four wheels and tyres on their own, with no vehicle to put them on, and told me to fit them.

Yeah I've only ever seen it the other way around. When I got my sport demon's put on it was 40 a rim or 160 with the bike.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, meant the exact opposite of what I said :downsgun:

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Just swapped over my spare set of Ohlins forks onto my Tuono. Taking the original set of Ohlins forks to Super Plush Suspension to have them serviced.

Also bled my rear brake which required taking off my caliper and hanging it at weird angles just to get out the air bubbles.

Next on the list is fitting new Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires and setting the sag for my weight. And maybe a valve check.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Put blue rimtape on the front wheel, now both wheels are sparkling! :sparkles:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Got out of work early, run the R1 wheel and a brand new Pirelli Diablo Rosso II to the dealership, 8 hours later pick it up, which takes an hour because 500 firetrucks had to show up to the world's most minor fenderbender, directly outside the shop. Race 25 miles to my storage unit, place closes at 6:00, I get there at 5, clean roadgrit/chain lube off of everything, refresh grease everywhere, torque the axle nut back on at 5:53 pm, super happy, because what's sexier than fresh rubber? :woop:

Time to put my tools ba.... hey, what's that sitting in my trunk? :confused:

motherfucker :bang:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ride it anyway I'm sure it'll be sweet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

Ride it anyway I'm sure it'll be sweet.

Hmmm, I have always wondered what it'd feel like to shred a rear wheel bearing on a motorcycle going 80+ MPH.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Getting a sudden flat on my zx10 at 160km/h was pretty entertaining.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

What am I supposed to be looking at in that picture? The round shiny metal cylinder?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Odette posted:

What am I supposed to be looking at in that picture? The round shiny metal cylinder?

Yup, it's basically an aluminum spacer, goes between the axle and the wheel, keeps the inner race properly positioned in the main radial needle bearing, I noticed something was off when I was re-assembling it, but in my haste I was just like "eh, must just be designed like that."

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I didn't want to just keep my bike locked up for a week, so I checked out my valves at 4AM in the drat dark without any shims on hand anyways.

The intake is about as perfect as you can reasonably get, but both exhaust valves are at the minimum range that suzuki says is kosher. The bike was almost due for a check when I got it, and I've blown right past that particular maintenance interval for the last 6kmi :V

In positive news, I'm pretty sure my issue (suddenly dying/running like there's no gas in it) was related to some bad gas/water in the gas/possible loose vac line to the petcock. Either way, it runs like a charm again.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Finally got my stripped brake caliper mount bolt out. This bolt extractor set worked great. http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/13-pc-professionals-industrial-set Still waiting on my special MV rear wheel nut removal tool to arrive so can't finish the tire change until tomorrow.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My Traxxion Dynamics fork tools came today so I get to do my own fork seals for the first time in a couple of hours. :unsmith:
edit: First fork took about an hour, second one was ten minutes :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 12, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Completely failed at brake bleeding, even with a helper. Fluid is clean but spongy. Guess I gotta go to the shop with my tail between my legs.

Successfully changed the coolant though!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Cleaned the huge blob of poo poo some passing pterodactyl-sized goose decided to drop with pinpoint accuracy right on top of my seat before I headed home from work. :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Top tip - keep one of those little packs of antiseptic hand wipes (or screen wipes if you can swipe some from work) in your jacket/bag for that sort of situation, and also for removing dead bugs from your visor.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Top tip - keep one of those little packs of antiseptic hand wipes (or screen wipes if you can swipe some from work) in your jacket/bag for that sort of situation, and also for removing dead bugs from your visor.

I have some in a ziploc bag in my underseat storage, but this was such a big splat I had to go in and fill my water bottle up to hose it off first. It was seriously a huge glob of poo poo, like 6-7cm across and maybe 1cm tall. Never seen that much bird poo poo in my life.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yousomuscle posted:

I changed my oil for the first time today, I feel very proud of myself and also covered in filth.
Engine oil is the working man or woman's hand lotion.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

astrollinthepork posted:

Completely failed at brake bleeding, even with a helper. Fluid is clean but spongy. Guess I gotta go to the shop with my tail between my legs.

Successfully changed the coolant though!

You probably just have some air in the lines. The normal bleed process is hold down the lever, crack the bleed screw so fluid comes out (lever will lose pressure), close bleed screw, release lever, and repeat until no air bubbles are present. Remember to keep the reservoir topped off so you don't suck in air.

Personally, I just installed speedbleeders. You crack them open, and start pumping the lever and adding fluid until there are no more bubbles.

Also, be very careful if you're going to ride your bike to the shop with improperly bled brakes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Take the top off the reservoir and pull/release the lever rapidly. I bet you have air up at the top of the line. Once that is done re-bleed again. I find when I've had to bleed system it's a 24hr process to let the air to get to the ends of the lines.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The original bar ends on the SV where scratched and bent to hell, so I went over to my Suzuki dealer to get some new ones. They cost 70 USD each.

These cost 7 bucks for two. Good enough.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Changed a tire/wheel somewhere that didn't have a bike stand or jack.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Get to garage for an MOT since it expires this Friday; "Yeah mate looks like your bearings are knackered, I know a guy who can do the repairs for about £50" (who isn't available until Wednesday the week after)

Ok then, I get home and wife recommends another garage someone at work uses instead.
On the phone "What do you mean they failed it on bearings? Come on down and we'll have a look at it"
At the place "Well then my friend, it appears the nut holding the wheel was loose and very well would have fallen off, making you pretty dead"

Quite the experience. It was also pretty cool hanging out with two old eccentric mechanics who started wrenching the bike as soon as I wheeled in, grumbling that car test centers who dabble in bikes are poo poo, and did another test there and then. :yotj:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Posted to wrong thread.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 12, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Super Slash posted:

Get to garage for an MOT since it expires this Friday; "Yeah mate looks like your bearings are knackered, I know a guy who can do the repairs for about £50" (who isn't available until Wednesday the week after)

Ok then, I get home and wife recommends another garage someone at work uses instead.
On the phone "What do you mean they failed it on bearings? Come on down and we'll have a look at it"
At the place "Well then my friend, it appears the nut holding the wheel was loose and very well would have fallen off, making you pretty dead"

Quite the experience. It was also pretty cool hanging out with two old eccentric mechanics who started wrenching the bike as soon as I wheeled in, grumbling that car test centers who dabble in bikes are poo poo, and did another test there and then. :yotj:

I did some work on the rear end of my bike that required me to remove the rear wheel, I couldn't find the new cotter pins I had bought, so I just used the old one. Couple days later I ride it to a shop for a new rear tire, tech calls me back and says "hey, check this out, last shop you went to didn't do a very good job!" I had like, 1 1/2 threads left on the castellated nut for the rear axle :gonk:.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Got the brakes bled correctly I guess. I see where I went wrong but I'm not going to type it all up. After giving it another go they still felt spongy to me so I took it the shop. A mechanic I trust told me they're good. I guess I was expecting something more from new air free fluid. Replaced my rear brake pads too. Didn't notice how thin they were.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
New tube, nice clean chain, back tire back on, de-spidered it again, washed the bugs off.

Time to ride out to Central Texas in a couple hours and flatspot the gently caress out of my pilot powers even worse :v:

e: I should probably shim my exhaust valves first but whatever~

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Washed the thing and replaced my clutch cable, it was worn through in one spot and leaked where it goes into the crank case. Also replaced the primary cover, old one had cosmetic damage since I got the bike. That clutch mechanism sure is neat.

When I was almost done I dropped my ratched into that container full of oil.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

High Protein posted:

When I was almost done I dropped my ratched into that container full of oil.

Keeps the mechanism running smooth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

When I was almost done I dropped my ratched into that container full of oil.

I've done this so many loving times. Gearbox oil is the worst cause you never get the bloody smell out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My 17mm ratchet has been seeping oil ever since my very first oil change. I've tried to get it out to no avail.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And don't make the mistake of dropping it in solvent to try to fix it. Your only hope at that point is to disassemble the tool and clean+re-grease everything. And if it's a snap-on, good luck with that!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I knocked over my oil pan into my ratchet set case once.

Now I just claim it's an anti-corrosion coating.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4