Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Does anyone else miss Guild Representatives making work demands for your fortress? On that note, does anybody miss when not meeting a mandate actually had consequences aside from a noble becoming slightly upset (i.e., having your legendary weaponsmith get hammered)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Baloogan posted:

:suspense::stonklol:

Is any else as excited as I am for new DF next month.

Yeah, I plan on exploring the world a lot more than I normally do, just to see what weird stuff gets generated. Then I'm going to make and abandon a fort, just to see what happens to it while I play properly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Forward_Bee posted:

Does anyone else miss Guild Representatives making work demands for your fortress? On that note, does anybody miss when not meeting a mandate actually had consequences aside from a noble becoming slightly upset (i.e., having your legendary weaponsmith get hammered)?

If you assign a hammerer and a captain of the guard and some guards, your dwarfs will get arrested for violating work orders and mandates from nobles and will either be hammered or put in jail depending on the sentencing and if you have jail cells.

If there was a reliable way to assign a specific hammer to a hammerer I'd do it but I usually just leave the positions empty and let the nobles deal with it. Sick of getting dwarfs killed with masterwork silver hammers.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Archonex posted:

So my first game with the updated Masterwork version is already turning out to be batshit insane. Trigger warning for :words:.

So I made a world using the Icy Myr setup. Meaning ninety percent of the world is a deadly icy hellhole that can barely support life above ground. Then I chose the warlocks as my starting civ since their showstopping bugs are fixed.

Poking around the world gen records I exported I discovered the last warlock civ had one place left to their name. It was a tomb at the far edge of the map surrounded by some of the coldest and most inhospitable places possible. Interspersed throughout the world history were 75 warlocks, all of which I assume were immortal and extremely badass.

So I figured this must be the hub of their activity, being that they need some place to group up at. So I show up with like 50 prisoners and the usual starters, along with 3 black monoliths to raise the dead and 3 control pylons to control them. I expected to see a lot of friendly warlocks and their thralls when I showed up. What I got was a bit different.

The first thing I noticed that the place was completely deserted. The second was that the layout of the place was odd. There were five towers. One massive one, and four symmetrically placed at each corner. Each of the symmetrically placed towers was literally layered with succubus bones, like some sort of great siege or something happened here way back. The whole thing was pretty odd looking, but I shrugged it off as the place not being visited by any major figures since whatever had murdered everything rampaged through the place.

Upon entering the tower though, things got a bit crazy as several things happened almost at once.

The first thing was that a group of wandering gnolls followed my prisoners (Who were hauling the food to an interior location.) inside to try and snack on them. The second was that something simply appeared in the main hall I had designated as a meeting place. That something was a loving zombified deity by the name of Hell Heyl. Heyl was a humanoid gigantic gila monster who had decided that first my gnolls, and then the prisoners were suitable sacrifices to its gaping maw.

Also, the zombified deity turned out to have several traits. One of which is that anything that died near it was reanimated to hunger for the flesh of the living. Cue dozens of severed limbs strangling the life out of everyone but the warlocks, who just kind of looked on while bemused and confused as to what the gently caress was happening, before going back to pasturing the control pylons in the central tower to get it and the horde of newly created zombies under control.

So since I have a zombie proto-dragon-god rolling around the place, gulping down the mortal races, I figured i'd check to see just whose god this is. This is what I found in my Warlock civ's file:

The tomb wasn't the base of operations for the last of the warlocks. It was something far different. It was the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of a structure sized weapon of mass destruction designed to last over the span of centuries. It turns out the last of the warlocks died a long time ago in a great war with a succubus nation called the Cancerous Vices (Also, :stonk: at the implications behind that name.). Instead, this tomb was their last great work. Their greatest leaders and gods were entombed in it after their deaths, presumably to await the day that some necromancer would come along to resurrect them. All it would have taken is one necromancer walking through the front door and they'd have at least one unstoppable god at their command. Unfortunately since they were wiped out not long after that never happened.

The place is built like the climax of some sort of cliche RPG. It's situated in the most hostile place in the game world, contains enough high end weapons to ruin a civilization, and every latter day general and would be god in their civilization is entombed somewhere in its depths.

To put it in perspective how crazy this place is, Heyl alone has almost one thousand and six hundred kills to his name. Three hundred or so of which were major historical figures in the generated world. In the closing days of the extinction of the warlocks he apparently bumrushed the Cancerous Vices' capital and murdered every single loving thing there except for a frost giant that died soon after. In fact, given that I can't make a character in their nation, I believe he and the other gods actually succeeded in wiping them out as a last gently caress you to them destroying their civilization.

It turns out those succubus skeletons weren't some sort of weird decoration choice, they were the last of the civilization getting burnt to the loving ground by the tomb's last defenders. Who apparently fought to the last man to defend their fallen gods after both sides trekked through one of the most lethal regions in the game.

And if you're wondering why both sides were finally wiped out in that last fight, consider that the Cancerous Vices had this weird fetish where they'd dig up the corpses of their enemies, mutilate them, and then add them to totem poles in their cities. So when they showed up at the last bastion of the warlocks, now almost solely populated by their mortal slaves and servants, the last few dozen of them got slaughtered in the ensuing siege. At which point everything there either died during the siege, or died of starvation and exposure not long after from being in a icy wasteland with no food.

Which as a side note explains the bones and unlooted treasure too. Apparently my warlocks were the first people to reach the place after the battle between the two death cults/civilizations/whatever wiped each other out in one final glorious orgy of violence. They placed it so well that nothing mortal (Something most golden age races are.) could reach it without dying horribly.

So after all that, cue a thousand years later. I just resurrected one of the first of the oldest gods in the game via a buffet of slaves (His specific dominion, which makes the undead thing hilarious too.) in an age where no god slaying heroes exist. And he's friendly to the warlocks too.

Talk about a potential way to ruin that age if I could. I only wish I could venture out into the world to wreak havoc. This game takes place in the late golden ages, so I bet I could have some fun watching him turn entire cities into zombified hordes. :argh:

That.....is amazing. That should really be the plot do some dark fantasy novel. No heros, just a retelling of two would-be world rulers destroying each other.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Masterwork

Honestly though, love reading about it. Might try it out again.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Johnny Aztec posted:

That.....is amazing. That should really be the plot do some dark fantasy novel. No heros, just a retelling of two would-be world rulers destroying each other.

It's infuriating that I can't leave the site with him to go pillaging. It reads like the climax to a bad RPG. We've got an ancient evil, a death cult resurrecting said evil, a bunch of ritual sacrifices, and a tomb in the last place the heroes would go too to save the world in the game.

It's like i'm forced to quit the game right before the last chapter. Except the protagonists are the death cult and ancient evil in this case. :argh:

I've already got a plan for the fortress though. Going to construct the throne room at the top floor. Invaders will have to fight their way through the army, and then a customized courtyard containing the fallen god before reaching the overlord. Who will be suitably decked out in the insane gear stashed inside. A proper final boss fight. :black101:

All this just proves to me that Warlock mode is basically Dungeon Keeper 3 with how it's currently built. It creates the most over the top and dark as hell stories. Never mind that you literally create a dungeon to staff the place.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Moridin920 posted:

If you assign a hammerer and a captain of the guard and some guards, your dwarfs will get arrested for violating work orders and mandates from nobles and will either be hammered or put in jail depending on the sentencing and if you have jail cells.

If there was a reliable way to assign a specific hammer to a hammerer I'd do it but I usually just leave the positions empty and let the nobles deal with it. Sick of getting dwarfs killed with masterwork silver hammers.

I haven't really seen punishments doled out in a long time. Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I've definitely failed certain mandates (drat you, pewter!) and haven't seen much, if anything, happen. Hammerings seem reserved for vampires in my experience.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Check the justice screen? Mine gets filled out with who violated work orders and whatever even without guards and a hammerer.

My queen just arrived with 9 lords and ladies :suicide: good thing I don't care about their mandates or they'd probably get whittled down! I drafted them all into a queensguard squad.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Am I alone in finding ascii incomprehensible and tilesets really easy/intuitive/good?

I was reading the OP/first page and it seems like most people prefer ascii, which I have a hard time wrapping my head around.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Am I alone in finding ascii incomprehensible and tilesets really easy/intuitive/good?

I was reading the OP/first page and it seems like most people prefer ascii, which I have a hard time wrapping my head around.

Not at all. Dwarf Fortress especially can be really busy-looking when playing in ASCII.

There are reasons for playing in ASCII but ultimately it's personal preference.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My biggest complaint with tilesets is that they just replace the ascii characters, so an ascii character used to describe two different things doesn't make sense in the tileset.
I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but a lot of the plants end up looking like gears or armour or something, and it becomes even more confusing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Splode posted:

My biggest complaint with tilesets is that they just replace the ascii characters, so an ascii character used to describe two different things doesn't make sense in the tileset.
I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but a lot of the plants end up looking like gears or armour or something, and it becomes even more confusing.

That's more of a Dwarf Fortress thing than an ASCII thing though. But yeah, that would be one of the arguments in favor of playing in ASCII.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The biggest thing is ¶, which is used for mugs, certain elven settlements, and certain trees. Capital O can also look weird when you wind up with a wall piece in your diplomacy screen.

ASCII is great, but tilesets can be easier to understand as a whole. It's a toss-up for me.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Speaking of ascii, that guy that came up with the dfhack plugin for separating tiles and text? He went one furhter and is showcasing multi-level rendering:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.105

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

canepazzo posted:

Speaking of ascii, that guy that came up with the dfhack plugin for separating tiles and text? He went one furhter and is showcasing multi-level rendering:

Wow. Combine that with that isometric overlay thing and you've got ACTUAL GRAPHICS.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I told you this could be big. That man is just pulling breakthrough after breakthrough straight out of his arse. The best bit about that layer rendering is that Warmist made the proof of concept ages ago. The only thing between us and it is drudgery, and it seems mifki is happy to oblige.

Aside from all that, logdev:

Toady One posted:

Got to the halfway point yesterday compared to where we started this month, so we're trucking along reasonably well. It has been mostly prosaic... arena human with an axe and a sword alternated them on me properly in the arena. Lots of blood-drinking tests.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

canepazzo posted:

Oooooooo. Like Scamtank said, this was a proof of concept from a long while back, and it looks just as good as everyone thought it would. Given that there's a precedent of folding in display stuff (the SDL code) back into actual DF, maybe this will find its way out of DFHack and into DFACTUAL.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TOOT BOOT posted:

Not at all. Dwarf Fortress especially can be really busy-looking when playing in ASCII.

There are reasons for playing in ASCII but ultimately it's personal preference.

I'm not really sure how tilesets help with this though. DF is a very busy game, a lot of poo poo is frequently happening on screen and the game doesn't really do a lot to highlight which poo poo is important regardless of whether you are using ASCII or tilesets. It doesn't help that tiles in DF are tiny and can't fit any detail that would make them more aesthetically pleasant than ASCII unlike in, say, DCSS - it's way harder to rapidly distinguish dwarves from one another in just about any tileset I've seen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Make sure that your hammerer is a weak cripple that can't actually wield a hammer. He'll ineffectively flail at dwarves that get punished and accomplish basically nothing. The guard is also a good place to retire crippled ex-soldiers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Man I was gonna chew you out for playing DF instead of modding State of Decay for me, but then I read your post and god drat that's the best Dorf Fort story I've seen in a good long time :stare:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything available to make DF more user accessible? I want to run it, but everything is hard and I'm directionless a majority of the time. Also, working with menus is hard.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's stuff mentioned in the OP - Dwarf Therapist, the lazy newb pack, graphics packs, etc. - but ultimately it's still gonna be a steep learning curve at first. Do some tutorials and follow along and you'll get it eventually though, and there's a pretty good payoff for learning the interface.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
The starter pack (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0) has all the stuff you need (Therapist, tilesets etc). I don't know which tutorials are good, but you can just ask here when you get stuck. The main things to deal with early are safety (your dwarves are practically defenseless against goblins and such) and food/booze supply (you'll quickly run out of supplies). To get some degree of safety, dig your way into a hillside and close the entrance with a (lockable) door (and eventually a drawbridge, which is better and more difficult). To provide food and drink, build a plump helmet farm and a still.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I downloaded the masterwork mod, how do I actually *run* it on linux?

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Assuming you have the linux version (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8639), you execute the start-df file.

Possibly A Ghost
Jul 27, 2013
Hey scamtank, has Toady made any mention of reworking anatomies and stuff for the new release? If not, do you have the changes you've done on hand? I remember installing some kind of overhaul of yours on my last computer and being delighted at all the decapitations and caved-in sternums I was getting instead of the usual squashed skulls and ribs into lungs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Possibly A Ghost posted:

Hey scamtank, has Toady made any mention of reworking anatomies and stuff for the new release? If not, do you have the changes you've done on hand? I remember installing some kind of overhaul of yours on my last computer and being delighted at all the decapitations and caved-in sternums I was getting instead of the usual squashed skulls and ribs into lungs.

I don't think he has, his focus has been mostly on behavior rather than biology. I think he took the suggestion to make the skull bigger from all the forum murmurs, though.

The third version of Lepertank from last year's May (jesus christ) is still up. I tried to make the readme as exhaustive as I could, but I'm guessing that for what you want you'd only need body_detail_plan_default.txt, body_default.txt and creature_default.txt.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 15, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm currently playing my first succubi fort in Masterwork. Went to set up my militia uniform and uh...

Lower body: Thong

I guess on the upside there isn't like 50 different buildings to build. In fact there is only half a page worth of workshops and furnaces. Though I wish they bothered writing out the manual for it, instead of the current "Fill in <info> here" that makes up 80% of it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So in a Warlock fort, how do you assign skills to your starting units?

Which units will do which kinds of crafting? I know skeletons don't skill up normally in anything except combat. Do Warlocks get pissed if they have to do masonry and stuff, or are they just not good at it or what? What about ghouls?

Also what's the deal with combat skills? Do ghouls and skeletons wear armor? Do ghouls use weapons?

Basically what's a good starting setup to get a Warlock fort up and running successfully. My attempts so far end up with dwarves showing up and murdering my entire fort before I can even make more skeletons.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aaaaand true to Toady style, a new release right out of the blue, raise your hand if you saw it coming:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_38_01_win.zip

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bad Munki posted:

Aaaaand true to Toady style, a new release right out of the blue, raise your hand if you saw it coming:

Nice try. :smuggo:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Is there anything available to make DF more user accessible? I want to run it, but everything is hard and I'm directionless a majority of the time. Also, working with menus is hard.

CaptainDuck's Dwarf Fortress tutorials on Youtube got me started within a few hours if you can get past his (awesome) accent. Once you have the fort building basics down, you can experiment with everything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

CaptainDuck's Dwarf Fortress tutorials on Youtube got me started within a few hours if you can get past his (awesome) accent. Once you have the fort building basics down, you can experiment with everything else.

Using dwarf therapist is also basically required, people may use 'spreadsheet simulator' to describe annoyingly fiddly games, but DF doesn't even do you the grace of providing a spreadsheet by default. A spreadsheet would be an improvement over DF's interface.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Bad Munki posted:

yeah i'll raise a hand buddy

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

A vile force of darkness appears!

> V

'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Gilok posted:

So in a Warlock fort, how do you assign skills to your starting units?

Which units will do which kinds of crafting? I know skeletons don't skill up normally in anything except combat. Do Warlocks get pissed if they have to do masonry and stuff, or are they just not good at it or what? What about ghouls?

Also what's the deal with combat skills? Do ghouls and skeletons wear armor? Do ghouls use weapons?

Basically what's a good starting setup to get a Warlock fort up and running successfully. My attempts so far end up with dwarves showing up and murdering my entire fort before I can even make more skeletons.

I assign them by caste with skeletons getting all crafting skills, ghouls getting butchery, tanning, cooking, and possibly fishing, I give warlocks scribing, herbalism, and alchemy.

They all can wear armor, ghouls use whips, or they used to, I haven't looked at the newer releases. It's the only weapon skill they will actual be able to gain skill in.
Basically they all can do any of the skills, they just won't gain skill in them.

My standard start begins with slaughtering the minions you summon with warlocks for souls, then building the block summoning building to build a tower, and then the necro shrine. I tend not to create the zombies because they die really quickly to invaders.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck you

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bad Munki posted:

This is hilarious and the forums are better because it exists. Way to go, you. :jerkbag:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Nobody's going to believe you when you finally post the real release.

Instead we're going to let the wolves eat you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

Nobody's going to believe you when you finally post the real release.

Instead we're going to let the wolves eat you.

I've got an angle.