Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WastedJoker posted:

Anyone got a good guide to crafting/cooking?

The loving thing lies to you about where it will land :argh:

also, I've asked on irc for guild invite to the EU pvp guild but never got an invite :(

Send me (Taear) or SassyB a tell. SassyB is hitbutton on the forums and is on ALMOST always, as long as you do it every so often you're bound to find him eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

I'm confused about costume slots.

I'm used the costume items overlaying the real stuff underneath but in this game it completely replaces them?

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if you think costume items overwrite the stats of your equipment you're wrong.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

WastedJoker posted:

I'm confused about costume slots.

I'm used the costume items overlaying the real stuff underneath but in this game it completely replaces them?

The item you put in the costume slot on the left will visually replace the item you're actually wearing but you still get the same stats. It'll even replace the visual if you change equipped items so if you don't need to go back and redo it when you upgrade. You can click the eye instead to just turn the visual off. It doesn't help though that the UI isn't very good, I had a hell of a time making a costume with it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm really hoping that in a near-future patch they'll revisit the UI and at least do some hallway testing to make sure it's comprehensible. Right now the UI fairly screams "Well I know what I meant".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Kaldaris posted:

No, for simplicity's sake a lot of my settings are on low to make PvP smoother, (since that's all I do), but there's no real concrete option to turn down the visual effects themselves. It's a flurry of technocolour rave lights.

Found it.

quote:

Type the following command in the chat to disable most spell effects:
/eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("spell.visualSuppression", 1.0)
The number can be set to 0.0 (show everything) to 1.0 (show the least).

However this feature is still a WIP (that's why it doesn't appear in the option menu yet) as it does not disable all spell effects yet. It still helps a lot though.

At least there's that for now.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Running Skullcano earlier, I swear there were several instances of my heals doing absolutely nothing to the tank even though he was well within the green. I'm tempted to start recording my dungeon runs to see if this stuff is actually happening or just me imagining things in the heat of the action.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Besesoth posted:

I'm really hoping that in a near-future patch they'll revisit the UI and at least do some hallway testing to make sure it's comprehensible. Right now the UI fairly screams "Well I know what I meant".

It used to be worse. Like the list of every UI module was even harder to find, and the most asked question was how to find where the hell your mounts went.

Ever since beta, they've been standing by the "made for addons" excuse, which has always translated to "if you don't like it why don't you make your own drat addon". Classy.

apple orchard of dreams
Jun 18, 2001
There is an addon that fixes the potion button on the action bar, which I find pretty hilarious.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Uh oh we have another guild member named Yiffie.

I've dodged the bullet so far, but who knows how long I'll last!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

apple orchard of dreams posted:

There is an addon that fixes the potion button on the action bar, which I find pretty hilarious.

At least we have addons. I'd rip my hair out without some.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

folgore posted:

Running Skullcano earlier, I swear there were several instances of my heals doing absolutely nothing to the tank even though he was well within the green. I'm tempted to start recording my dungeon runs to see if this stuff is actually happening or just me imagining things in the heat of the action.

Was he an Engineer? They're extremely buggy. Like, literally "cannot be healed" level of bugs.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48617-list-of-the-engineer-bugs/

Also my new guns are so cool :catdrugs:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

*laughs hysterically at

Raika
Feb 14, 2011

One gripe I have at the moment with this game is the "guess the stack size" minigame you have to play when trying to buy large quantities of tradeskill mats from the commodities exchange. It did get me thinking about a potential moneymaker you could pull though. Buy a large stockpile of your chosen in-demand crafting mat, list a few hundred in stacks between 1-3 at random in 1c intervals, offer to sell actual stacks of said mat in trade for 200% price.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Raika posted:

One gripe I have at the moment with this game is the "guess the stack size" minigame you have to play when trying to buy large quantities of tradeskill mats from the commodities exchange. It did get me thinking about a potential moneymaker you could pull though. Buy a large stockpile of your chosen in-demand crafting mat, list a few hundred in stacks between 1-3 at random in 1c intervals, offer to sell actual stacks of said mat in trade for 200% price.

If you're really that desperate for resources immediately, if you put in a buy order for greater than the price of sell orders, then it will automatically fill your order with sell orders, without paying extra.

But for everything you should either be putting in buy orders for the cheap or harvesting yourself in the first place.

Pubs would probably fall for that scheme, though, since they don't seem to know how buy orders work.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Here's an item listing:
2 ore sold for 2.45s each
8 ore sold for 3.11s
29 ore sold for 3.12s
55 ore sold for 3.15s
255 ore sold for 3.16s

Buying a 200x stack of this ore with a manually set price of 3.16s will buy all the 94 ore sold at below 3.16s for their cheaper prices, and then 106 ore at 3.16s each. The auction house is a horrible system that can't possibly have been designed by a person who's used MMO auction houses more than casually, but buying poo poo isn't the hard part.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mattavist posted:

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if you think costume items overwrite the stats of your equipment you're wrong.

I'm sure the item appears back in my inventory :iiam:

Raika
Feb 14, 2011

a cat on an apple posted:

Pubs would probably fall for that scheme, though, since they don't seem to know how buy orders work.

haha, including me, I'd completely overlooked that. That's just saved me like 10 minutes finishing off levelling outfitter.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
man I'm so glad I decided to log in this morning instead of going back to sleep, Illium chat is in full pub mode :allears:

Woland
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno maybe I'M the immature one here, but this raised an eyebrow when I came across it while surfing around farside:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

I'm sure the item appears back in my inventory :iiam:

Don't right click on things you want to be your costume. Go to the costume NPC, select which Costume (not 'No Costume'), then manually click and drag the cosmetic you want into the slot. Right clicking at this stage will only actually really equip your poo poo as if you weren't even at the costume man. Right click is ONLY for removing an item from a costume slot.

What you described as happening was not putting on a costume, it was changing equipment.

You know it's working when the display starts blinking like crazy because Carbine managed to break it between beta and live and actually getting a costume slot to work is like playing roulette.

I mean I guess having to try over and over to get a desired result is fully in the grognardy spirit of hardcore poopsockers that are being targeted :shrug:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 12, 2014

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Does anyone else think that limiting classes to specific races is a bit counter productive?

I mean who is ever going to be happy to not be able to play a race-class combination?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Woland posted:

I dunno maybe I'M the immature one here, but this raised an eyebrow when I came across it while surfing around farside:

Care to elaborate? Is there a secret swastika in the snow somewhere? Penis? Vagina?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

midnightclimax posted:

Care to elaborate? Is there a secret swastika in the snow somewhere? Penis? Vagina?

Yes what are we looking at?

The caption made me assume it was a penis but it would take some pretty powerful projecting on part of the viewer to turn that into a penis.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Yes what are we looking at?

The caption made me assume it was a penis but it would take some pretty powerful projecting on part of the viewer to turn that into a penis.

I immediately saw a penis. I'm not exactly sure how you couldn't.

Woland
Nov 7, 2005
Haha welp, apparently it is just me. I thought it basically looked like like every crude penis doodle I've ever seen, but perhaps Im just looking for penises everywhere at this point. My bad.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

wisdomHNOX posted:

I immediately saw a penis. I'm not exactly sure how you couldn't.

Maybe it's some psychological thing where we see what we want to see. *shrugs*

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Woland posted:

Haha welp, apparently it is just me. I thought it basically looked like like every crude penis doodle I've ever seen, but perhaps Im just looking for penises everywhere at this point. My bad.
I immediately saw the crude doodle of balls and the penis just kind of fell into place :shrug:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
idk maybe you all got weird penii.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Zephyrine posted:

Does anyone else think that limiting classes to specific races is a bit counter productive?

I mean who is ever going to be happy to not be able to play a race-class combination?

I seem to recall them saying somewhere that this was an animation priority to get out for release thing and they planned on opening up additional classes to races later on

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Zephyrine posted:

Maybe it's some psychological thing where we see what we want to see. *shrugs*

Look at the timg version. It is very clearly a penis and testicles, although part of the urethra has been erased.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I seem to recall them saying somewhere that this was an animation priority to get out for release thing and they planned on opening up additional classes to races later on

I can accept that.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zephyrine posted:

This could be said of literally any design decision you don't like.

The devs decided that certain classes and races didn't work well together lorewise, and it's not a particularly counterproductive decision; it makes the people who care about the lore happy, and nobody's going to stop playing because they couldn't create their Special Snowflake Aurin Engineer.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Besesoth posted:

This could be said of literally any design decision you don't like.

The devs decided that certain classes and races didn't work well together lorewise, and it's not particularly counterproductive to do so; it makes the people who care about the lore happy, and nobody's going to stop playing because they couldn't create their Special Snowflake Aurin Engineer.

But more options are always better.

An arbitrary limitation of options is never a good thing.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zephyrine posted:

But more options are always better.

An arbitrary limitation of options is never a good thing.

This is ridiculously not true (hint: google "tyranny of choice").

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Darth Windu posted:

Look at the timg version. It is very clearly a penis and testicles, although part of the urethra has been erased.

I looked a bit harder and I see... a Bicycle maybe.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Besesoth posted:

You're never going to find anyone going "gee I'm glad I can't make a Draken Medic. That sure enhances my experience"

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Woland posted:

I see someone with glowy shoes sitting down while looking straight up.

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Besesoth posted:

I really don't think this applies to adding an extra 1-3 class choices per race. Nobody would paralyzed by indecision if they could be a Chua stalker or Mordesh Esper, and the devs aren't rescuing us from paralyzing indecision by protecting us from the option of playing a Granok spellslinger.

Maybe the Aurin limitations are okay though, because the flood of Aurin might literally cause the end times if they could be any class.

(also draken medics would look totally ridiculous with that hunch. What I'm saying is I should be in charge of these limitations based on my own arbitrary tastes instead of "lore" or "animations")

EDIT: vvvvv yeah but this is a thread about wildstar so I chose to tie his assertion back to the actual topic at hand in order to suggest that it was irrelevant in context.

Zigoot fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 12, 2014

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
^^^^: The reason for why there isn't a class for every race was already given, the other guy is attacking the phrase "An arbitrary limitation of options is never a good thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Common Sensei posted:

I really don't think this applies to adding an extra 1-3 class choices per race. Nobody would paralyzed by indecision if they could be a Chua stalker or Mordesh Esper, and the devs aren't rescuing us from paralyzing indecision by protecting us from the option of playing a Granok spellslinger.

Maybe the Aurin limitations are okay though, because the flood of Aurin might literally cause the end times if they could be any class.

I was responding to the broader "more choices are always better".

But look back through the thread at the number of posts by people who can't decide what class they want to be, even given the limitations that are in place. There are already players who are paralyzed by indecision to an extent. More choices would just make that worse. Sure, there aren't many of them, but "nobody" is just as much of an exaggeration as "everybody" here.

And let's be frank: it's not the job of the developers to give everybody blowjobs and candy canes. They made a decision based on the story they're trying to tell, and you don't like it. That's fair. But it's not counterproductive - again, few people are going to stop playing because their dream of being a Draken medic has been shattered.

e: vvv Stomping your feet and repeating yourself over and over doesn't make what you're saying any more true.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread