Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

The best was when an IT director at one of our subsidiaries was let go and no one told us at corp IT for a week. We're lucky he didn't VPN in and cause major trouble.

Oh please, like we don't have other admins giving us their login credentials all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Varkk posted:

Are they running Norton or Mcafee AV?
I have had a few machines show symptoms of a bad virus infestation come right when you disable or remove them and replace with MS Security Essentials.
Just yesterday I had one with Mcafee security suite unable to load any webpages, could ping ok but nothing loaded on the web browser and laptop in general was sluggish. I disabled the firewall module in Mcafee and it worked like a charm. There was an option in the Mcafee firewall called netguard I think which was blocking all legitimate http traffic.

Son of a bitch, that was it. Uninstalling Norton made the computer boot up in about a minute instead of 10 and now everything's working fine, albiet a bit slowly. I've seen Norton do some screwy poo poo before but nothing nearly that bad.

If you hadn't posted that I probably would've flattened it today. :worship:

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

President Ark posted:

Son of a bitch, that was it. Uninstalling Norton made the computer boot up in about a minute instead of 10 and now everything's working fine, albiet a bit slowly. I've seen Norton do some screwy poo poo before but nothing nearly that bad.

If you didn't already, run the Norton Removal Tool. It does a better job than the regular uninstaller at cleaning all the crud out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
All of our systems appear to have Symantec Endpoint Protection on them. :\

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

President Ark posted:

And this is why I refuse to recommend norton, because between it, McAffee, AVG and Avast, I've seen so many PC's come in with the antivirus causing all kinds of hell. Norton is just awful.

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.

AlternateAccount posted:

All of our systems appear to have Symantec Endpoint Protection on them. :\

We have SEP 12.1.x here, but we don't install the firewall module. It's nothing but problems. We're still migrating clients from fairly stripped down 11.x clients to almost every feature 12.1.x clients and so far it's gone rather well. We don't install the Lotus Notes module because we don't use it and we don't install the firewall module because it's historically been a problem. Our testing with 12.1.x shows SEP the firewall module problems situation has not changed.

EDIT: Don't confuse Norton with SEP. Norton is total consumer market garbage while SEP has overall been quite good for us since whatever it was called at release 8 up through our now 12 deployment. We don't do anything with Citrix or the like, though.

Klenath fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 12, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I can hear my boss on the phone talking about a job application he submitted. I think I need to find a new job.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

I can hear my boss on the phone talking about a job application he submitted. I think I need to find a new job.

Take his job.

Work with him to bump your salary when he quits.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

guppy posted:

Maybe he'll take you with.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Klenath posted:

EDIT: Don't confuse Norton with SEP. Norton is total consumer market garbage while SEP has overall been quite good for us since whatever it was called at release 8 up through our now 12 deployment. We don't do anything with Citrix or the like, though.

Interesting. It looks like we use it primarily for anti-virus. I didn't know much about it, but generally when I see SYMANTEC, I cringe.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

guppy posted:

If it's on a company phone, you can rat him out (unless his application is for an internal job) and solidify your place in middle-management for the rest of your life.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Son of a bitch. Figured out the problem. Apparently, Citrix hates HP Universal Drivers.

So right now, I'm trying to do versioning between our branch office and our main office - I suspect that the branch office has older drivers.

Edit: Apparently, I'm using version 6.1.7601.21853? :wtc:
Edit 2: Creation Date: July 13, 2009. :geno: I think I found our problem...

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 12, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nerdrock posted:

If it's on a company phone, you can rat him out (unless his application is for an internal job) and solidify your place in middle-management for the rest of your life.

It's entrapment. They're testing him to see how he reacts.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

m.hache posted:

Take his job.

Work with him to bump your salary when he quits.

I would, but I think someone else (in particular) would get it, and more importantly I think my team is under attack. I would be happy to stay with the organization, but I think even that would require finding a new home.

gently caress, I hate job hunting. It's like a second job on its own.

Edit: can't and won't torpedo him. He's a good guy and great to work for, and for reasons that are difficult to explain without revealing my employer, it wouldn't really work here anyway.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RadicalR posted:

Son of a bitch. Figured out the problem. Apparently, Citrix hates HP Universal Drivers.

So right now, I'm trying to do versioning between our branch office and our main office - I suspect that the branch office has older drivers.

Edit: Apparently, I'm using version 6.1.7601.21853? :wtc:
Edit 2: Creation Date: July 13, 2009. :geno: I think I found our problem...
The latest (5.8.0) HP UPD is version 61.160.1.17508. Whatever you have looks like a driver that comes from Windows' stock driver cache.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Please do not blueball us regarding the results. :ohdear:

Looks like I'm not going to be told anything. However, like any good office drone, I'm going to try to use the misfortune of others to benefit myself. How soon is too soon to try to get a raise for being the de facto site lead? :v:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Great Beer posted:

Looks like I'm not going to be told anything. However, like any good office drone, I'm going to try to use the misfortune of others to benefit myself. How soon is too soon to try to get a raise for being the de facto site lead? :v:

Not soon enough.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A world cup came in.

Network use is going to go through the roof. I'm sure use is going to be watched more closely by management but that also means my light use is going to be less noticeable. :rms:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

A world cup came in.

Network use is going to go through the roof. I'm sure use is going to be watched more closely by management but that also means my light use is going to be less noticeable. :rms:

Block all streaming sites, charge users under the table to de-list their IP. Profit... or GOAAAAAAAAL

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

skooma512 posted:

A world cup came in.

We had the same problem during the Olympics, especially hockey.
My exchange server would be dead quiet until a play stoppage, then flurries of activity, then nothing, then intermission and HOLY poo poo SEND ALL THE EMAILS, then nothing.

This chart is a very close representation of our network use:

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

We just got a new Windows 2012 HyperV server!

VHD's are running good, let's schedule backups!

*the next day*

Failed to back up? Huh. What seems to be the error, let me just click on the me-

"MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it. Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

:sigh:

We just can't have nice things.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
A ticket came in last week from one of the Web Designers claiming that Visual Studio 2013 was bogging his and the other designers' systems down so much that in his opinion, they all needed to go from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB.
Instead of telling him to gently caress off, the IT Director approved it, in order to "give them more rope to hang themselves with." None of us wanted to do this, but hey, he's the boss. We wanted to diagnose the issue, but, whatever.

And then another ticket came in...

Dr. Web Designer Douche, Computer Expert posted:

Even though we got a memory upgrade on our machines, when we start debugging with Visual Studio, the computer still slows to a crawl when working in Visual Studio. I'm not sure if this is a settings change or what, but I'd like help diagnosing it. Thanks!

oh my god get hosed

The best part is probably the IT Director's response. "That's what happens when non-ITers diagnose symptoms... we spend money on unnecessary upgrades that don't solve the issue."

:argh:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

A ticket came in last week from one of the Web Designers claiming that Visual Studio 2013 was bogging his and the other designers' systems down so much that in his opinion, they all needed to go from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB.
Instead of telling him to gently caress off, the IT Director approved it, in order to "give them more rope to hang themselves with." None of us wanted to do this, but hey, he's the boss. We wanted to diagnose the issue, but, whatever.

oh my god get hosed

The best part is probably the IT Director's response. "That's what happens when non-ITers diagnose symptoms... we spend money on unnecessary upgrades that don't solve the issue."

Take the RAM back out and fix the problem. If they complain tell them the RAM is causing the problem.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

m.hache posted:

Take the RAM back out and fix the problem. If they complain tell them the RAM is causing the problem.

I told the guy working on the ticket to go over to Mr. Expert's desk and demand that he reproduce the issue. At the very least it will give us a diagnostic starting point, but more than likely it's going to expose the real culprit, whatever that is.

I'm hoping I can have the RAM removed afterwards. I'm so tired of being told to vindicate these fuckheads who think they know more than us, or rather, need to have any part in the diagnostic process at all.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fortis posted:

oh my god get hosed

What? How does someone not just open task manager and go WELP, IT'S NOT MEMORY after about five seconds of looking!?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What is this task manager and how do I use it?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

What is this task manager and how do I use it?

First you need 16GB of RAM, minimum.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

AlternateAccount posted:

What? How does someone not just open task manager and go WELP, IT'S NOT MEMORY after about five seconds of looking!?

Because the Resource Manager button is just too darn hard to find.

"Nope, can't find it anywhere!"

Same thing is happening at work, the folks thought upgrading the Macs to 8GB of RAM would solve the slowness of the system.

Yeah, right.

I'm waiting for some SSDs to arrive for my Mac, however, gently caress Yodel.

Westie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 12, 2014

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, it's not my ticket and I'm honestly kind of astonished that the assignee didn't think to go and look at the Task Manager at the time. But basically the IT Director told us to not bother and give them what they want, supposedly because the designers were claiming they were behind on various projects due to these issues, and this was going to expose their incompetence or something.

There's a lot of bitterness between IT and Marketing here and I really hate it. The two department directors are constantly fighting. This is just more of the same.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lareous posted:

We just got a new Windows 2012 HyperV server!

VHD's are running good, let's schedule backups!

*the next day*

Failed to back up? Huh. What seems to be the error, let me just click on the me-

"MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it. Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

:sigh:

We just can't have nice things.

Not sure what's going on here: are the VMs still running fine?

If so, you can export them with Powershell and copy them elsewhere, as a temporary backup solution.

This command would export all VMs to C:\Hyper-V\Exports

get-vm | export-vm -Path C:\Hyper-V\Exports

(Make sure the directory exists)

I use this on my Win 8.1 workstation for backup purposes because there are no hyper-v VSS writers in Win 8/8.1 for some stupid reason. Just export the VMs, back 'em up like any other files.

Then you can work on whatever's killing your regular hyper-v backups.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fortis posted:

oh my god get hosed

At our place managers have been known to placate devolpers by approving 8GB memory upgrades for 32-bit machines. They didn't get any faster for some reason :iiam:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Knormal posted:

At our place managers have been known to placate devolpers by approving 8GB memory upgrades for 32-bit machines. They didn't get any faster for some reason :iiam:

What kind of troglodytes give 32-bit machines to their developers?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

The kind that bought software once in 1995 and never will again.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
A ticket came in was paged out:

quote:

user says PC ID lab-17 is not working please assist

sort of :siren: affecting patient care :siren:, user said

So, I call for the user. The person that answers says:
"Oh, she left for Dinner. Can you call back in 30 mins?"

So, let me get this straight. You call and say that a computer "isn't working", but give no details as to what "isn't working" and then gently caress off to dinner without telling anyone what the issue is after paging the ticket out because it's supposedly affecting patient care?

The best part is, I VNC into that system and not only was she left logged in, but she also has some Cerner modules up and running as well.

***edit***
Well, I called back after a while and she said that it was fixed remotely. Apparently, dipshit new guy remoted in and fixed it, yet didn't bother to acknowledge or close the ticket. So, it ended up paging the secondary on call, who then called me to see if I could work on it since he was stuck in traffic.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 13, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Great Beer posted:

The kind that bought software once in 1995 and never will again.

Give your developers crap machines and have them make all your programs for you, thinking it saves money despite the fact that it takes 5x as long to do anything on inadequate hardware. These are the people who go home to World of Warcraft and farm every rare crafting ingredient and piece of equipment themselves, and then smugly think, "If I make/farm this poo poo myself, it's free!"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ticket came in. A user can't share a PDF on the share drive.

Turns out that they're putting a PDF into a shared drive on a server that handles a website. When they try to test that users can access the website and access the file, the page with the PDF 404s. This is a page with around 50 PDFs for internal forms.

Checked on it, and... The URL doesn't match the filename. IIS is pointing to the right containing folder, but all of the PDFs are slightly different.

The user who submitted the ticket decided to use a completely different naming scheme for the PDF files after making changes to them. So as they're updating PDFs, they're breaking the URL.

They changed 36 of the 50 PDFs, but not in order. They have also done this same thing with around two dozen other PDFs on other pages for the internal site.

I got learn all about rewriting URLs today, something I've never done as I've never done internal site support... But it was a learning experience thanks to somebody else's incompetence.

Oh, and they're no longer allowed to touch filenames. :haw:

I'm sure there's some way that the internal site should have been set up where this wouldn't have been an issue, as the most they did was add hyphens here and there, but they knew they were directly changing an internal site. How did it take them until PDF 56 to notice???

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Che Delilas posted:

Government.

The unit responsible for pushing out updates doesn't want to let us move to 64-bit because they say it would double their workload having to test and deploy two versions of every patch. You have to get a special exemption to get a 64-bit machine, basically amounting to having an in with a C-level, we only have maybe two dozen in our environment.

Now you may wonder if they're already testing and updating for those exempt machines what different does if it's two dozen or two thousand? Well you see the reasoning behind that is

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Knormal posted:

That's like a Doctor with the flu going to another doctor and being prescribed antibiotics for their flu, and then the flu-doctor thanks the prescription doctor and takes the antibiotics thinking it will help their flu. :psyduck:

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 13, 2014

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Knormal posted:

Government.

The unit responsible for pushing out updates doesn't want to let us move to 64-bit because they say it would double their workload having to test and deploy two versions of every patch. You have to get a special exemption to get a 64-bit machine, basically amounting to having an in with a C-level, we only have maybe two dozen in our environment.

Now you may wonder if they're already testing and updating for those exempt machines what different does if it's two dozen or two thousand? Well you see the reasoning behind that is

We only recently started using 64-bit as the standard here. Which is good because it made me real sad to install 32-bit Windows on a $1500 mobile workstation with 8 gigs of ram that would only ever be used for internet (IE8) and Outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Knormal posted:

I think we're all missing the point of their good intentions. Surely they improve the situation on some level that we're all uncapable of understanding. :crossarms:

• Locked thread