Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

Is there a thread for superhero cartoons or do we just discuss that in here every so often? I had a friend introduce me to Young Justice and now I'm kinda looking to vent somewhere. I don't suppose someone can point me to the right thread :v:

There was a Young Justice thread but it's long gone now, feel free to vent here I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Network has been cranking out a lot of hits lately, and even the ones that are cancelled have gotten to mostly finish their runs. If the worst you can say is that you still wanted more after the show was gone, they've done a good job.

Aces High posted:

Is there a thread for superhero cartoons or do we just discuss that in here every so often? I had a friend introduce me to Young Justice and now I'm kinda looking to vent somewhere. I don't suppose someone can point me to the right thread :v:

Over yonder.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455166

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cartoon Network has been cranking out a lot of hits lately, and even the ones that are cancelled have gotten to mostly finish their runs. If the worst you can say is that you still wanted more after the show was gone, they've done a good job.

Over yonder.

Well, it's not necessarily that I'm mad because I want more, it's more issues that I had with the Invasion season as a whole. We've jumped ahead five years and we only really get to know about what happened in those 5 years through bits and pieces sprinkled through out the series. It has a pretty huge downer ending, but Weisman seems to love doing that in his cartoons and while I acknowledge the stones to kill a main character off it felt almost out of place.

That and keeping the heavy hitters for the JL away in court for the whole seasons seemed kinda :rolleyes: to me but hey, nothing is perfect.

However, one thing I did like was all the nice To Serve Man and Body Snatchers homages :)

also, yes that was the thread I was looking for and couldn't find for some reason, thanks

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Acquire Currency! posted:

Goddamn do I hate Scooby Doo

You mean everything except Mystery Inc., right? :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So the Amazing World of Gumball is back, and it's just as surreal and amazing as always.

They covered up for the fact that the voice actor for Gumball is going through puberty in the craziest way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

So the Amazing World of Gumball is back, and it's just as surreal and amazing as always.

They covered up for the fact that the voice actor for Gumball is going through puberty in the craziest way.

That's not the same voice actor as Season 1 and 2. They switched to Jacob Hopkins from Logan Grove.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guess what Netflix is bringing back :getin:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay this poo poo has gone too far. As a guy who grew up in the 90s I know I'm partially to blame, but this most recent wave of nostalgia-based programming is just bananas.

Magic School Bus? Netflix? Why?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TwoPair posted:

Okay this poo poo has gone too far. As a guy who grew up in the 90s I know I'm partially to blame, but this most recent wave of nostalgia-based programming is just bananas.

I was an 80s child so I never watched it, but... why not? I'm pretty sure they still show reruns on PBS.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Yea, it's a pretty good educational TV show, why wouldn't they bring it back?

But they'd better bring Lily Tomlin back too or there really isn't a point. :mad:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

edit: nevermind

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did anyone else have the Magic School Bus CD-ROM? That thing was amazing; I might have to track down a copy, for old times sake.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
They should make an update of Magic School Bus. Science has advanced, Pluto isn't a planet.

e: Besides the Solar System episode, what other episodes/topics had major/notable discoveries?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 12, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

They should make an update of Magic School Bus. Science has advanced, Pluto isn't a planet.

You go to hell, Pluto will always be a planet. I don't care what NDT says.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PhazonLink posted:

e: Besides the Solar System episode, what other episodes/topics had major/notable discoveries?

Really, the most important lesson from the solar system episode was "Sometimes you need to be willing to commit suicide to prove a point."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aces High posted:

e:
oh, there was a whole 'nother page I didn't see. Welp. IGNORE ME.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhazonLink posted:

The field of accurate Carlos placement has gone miles.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PhazonLink posted:

The Dinosaur episode definitely; that field has advanced so much in the last 20 years.

I would like to thank Magic School Bus for existing and hope the reboot is just as good since my love of the sciences stems mainly from it, Bill Nye, and Jurassic Park.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Clarence is so good oh my god.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah it is! Now I kinda hate myself for not watching it before. Chad rules.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
After tonight's episode I'm convinced that Clarence is secretly based on my life in elementary school.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Man the new Magic School Bus might end up being better Doctor Who than Doctor Who.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm terrified of what a new Frizzle would be like. But as long as Arnold is the true star and Carlos is still terrible, than it'll be alright.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Man the new Magic School Bus might end up being better Doctor Who than Doctor Who.

I bet there are so many Dr Who/Magic School Bus mash-up t-shirts.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Someone on here has/had an avatar of one Dr. Who/MSB crossover with River Song as Ms. Frizzle. More than likely Hot Topic stole used it on a shirt or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You'd think so, but I get emails from Teefury all the time and of all the Doctor Who / other nerd poo poo mashups they have on there, not one has had the Magic School Bus.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I'm terrified of what a new Frizzle would be like. But as long as Arnold is the true star and Carlos is still terrible, than it'll be alright.
Its going to be a CGI Cartoon so its going to be so weird and I'll probably dislike it because I'm now old enough to complain about how things aren't as good as they were back when I was a kid in the 90s

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Crabtree posted:

and Carlos is still terrible

I'm going to fight you

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

Arnold is only the star cause he sticks out like a sore red thumb!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Arnold is only the star cause he sticks out like a sore red thumb!

The show needed one kid to not be up for weird transformations and insane alternative learning. Otherwise you'd just have a bunch of idiots happily turning into whatever until the Friz almost gets them killed for the fifth time this week.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm going to fight you

Hey man, leaf me alone.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Holy poo poo Clarence is so good oh my god.

Having just finished watching all but last night's episode over the last few days myself, I'm basically getting the same sort of vibe from it as I do from Hey Arnold (albeit with a much dumber protagonist), and that's definitely a good thing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

Hey man, leaf me alone.

That pun really fell short.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

The show needed one kid to not be up for weird transformations and insane alternative learning. Otherwise you'd just have a bunch of idiots happily turning into whatever until the Friz almost gets them killed for the fifth time this week.

Remember the time that Arnold got so fed up with Miss Frizzle's bullshit that he killed himself in protest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGs77kOT9Kk

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Remember the time that Arnold got so fed up with Miss Frizzle's bullshit that he killed himself in protest?

That loving traumatized me as a kid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Going back a bit, it says in the article why. Netflix has the rights to the show and it's the most popular educational show on the service. They see there is a potential demand so they're filling it.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He didn't do it to Miss Frizzle he did it to his cousin who was being stubborn about leaving without the proof she collected and he was the one that suggested going into outer space in the first place and why the hell do I still remember the events of a TV show from elementary school while I can't remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Crabtree posted:

You know I can see why this show is still popular when you consider all the transformation stuff that happened in it :stonk:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Its the :smug: look that he gives before turning to ice that always slays me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Hahahaha, what the gently caress? I wish I hadn't been too old to watch that show when it came out.

I guess I could watch it on Netflix with my kids, but considering one of them saw part of a Futurama episode where the Professor had an internal organ replaced with a Manwich and freaked out for like a week that the same thing might have happened to him, I should probably hold off for a while.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Hahahaha, what the gently caress? I wish I hadn't been too old to watch that show when it came out.

I guess I could watch it on Netflix with my kids, but considering one of them saw part of a Futurama episode where the Professor had an internal organ replaced with a Manwich and freaked out for like a week that the same thing might have happened to him, I should probably hold off for a while.

Arnold freezing himself on Pluto and the Gooey Gus storyline on Ghost Writer were responsible for roughly 90% of my generations public-television-fueled nightmares.

The other 10% is people who are terrified by old logos and production companies.