Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Indeed, the Bundle of Tentacles hit only $34,000 and didn't unlock either stretch goal.

The new bundle is up now, and it's Numenera. Minimum of $9.95 for the core book and GM screen, hit the threshold (currently $18.84) to add the player's guide (an extract from the core book as a separate pdf), a bestiary, and a collection of three adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is the bundle of holding level up price going to go up if they add new stuff? My group was talking about getting into Numenera and this is a good deal but I can't get it just yet so I'm wondering if waiting is gonna cost me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jodai posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is the bundle of holding level up price going to go up if they add new stuff? My group was talking about getting into Numenera and this is a good deal but I can't get it just yet so I'm wondering if waiting is gonna cost me.

It goes up, but not because they add new stuff. It's the average price people are paying for the bundle, which tends to climb as people need to pay more than the average to get the additional books.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The "threshold" price can fluctuate up or down (but usually up), as it's based on the average price people have paid. That said, I don't expect to fluctuate too much; this morning it was $18.84 and now it's $18.83.

Other than that, the price doesn't change. And if you buy in at the "threshold" price and it goes up, you've still unlocked the bonus content. (Likewise, if more bonus content is added, you get it.)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bundle of Holding is based off average price paid, not amount of materials offered. If most people are willing to beat the average, it goes up relatively quickly. If you buy early you can beat average for less. Still, it always shakes out to a good deal, and you don't have to beat average to get the core books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BoH jumped the gun with the email announcement: the next bundle will be Deadlands Classic in a few minutes.

$10 for Weird West Player's Guide, Marshal's Handbook, "Rascals, Varmints, & Critters" (the monster book), Smith & Robards Catalog

BTA gets you The Agency: Men in Black Dusters (the Pinkerton/Agency sourcebook), Book o' the Dead (the Harrowed sourcebook), Canyon o' Doom (adventure), The Collegium (mad scientist citybook), and Fire & Brimstone (the Blessed sourcebook).

They're also teasing adding a lot of stuff to this one.

e: Huh, this time your Wizard's Cabinet has 100% discount links to DriveThru instead of direct downloads.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Evil Mastermind posted:

BoH jumped the gun with the email announcement: the next bundle will be Deadlands Classic in a few minutes.

$10 for Weird West Player's Guide, Marshal's Handbook, "Rascals, Varmints, & Critters" (the monster book), Smith & Robards Catalog

BTA gets you The Agency: Men in Black Dusters (the Pinkerton/Agency sourcebook), Book o' the Dead (the Harrowed sourcebook), Canyon o' Doom (adventure), The Collegium (mad scientist citybook), and Fire & Brimstone (the Blessed sourcebook).

They're also teasing adding a lot of stuff to this one.

e: Huh, this time your Wizard's Cabinet has 100% discount links to DriveThru instead of direct downloads.

Yeah, they've been doing DTRPG links since the Delta Green bundle, I think.

Is Deadlands still worth it compared to the newest edition?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd say it's still worth it, especially at this price. Even with the old mechanics, there's a lot of great fluff there, and I'm sure you can find conversions to Reloaded.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd say it's still worth it, especially at this price. Even with the old mechanics, there's a lot of great fluff there, and I'm sure you can find conversions to Reloaded.

Good point. Even if I don't play it, it's always fun to read through different RPGs.

Who am I kidding. Like I ever skip these bundles anyway. :v:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
If anybody's still on the fence about the Deadlands bundle, they've been adding roughly a bonus book a day to the deal. Now it includes Hucksters & Hexes (magic sourcebook), Ghost Dance (shamanism sourcebook) and Law Dogs (law officer sourcebook for sheriffs and whatnot).

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

GimpInBlack posted:

If anybody's still on the fence about the Deadlands bundle, they've been adding roughly a bonus book a day to the deal. Now it includes Hucksters & Hexes (magic sourcebook), Ghost Dance (shamanism sourcebook) and Law Dogs (law officer sourcebook for sheriffs and whatnot).

They added Law Dogs yesterday and skipped today, those stinkers. It is still a good deal. Also, I recommend checking out this cool article about the art of Deadlands.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Rusty Kettle posted:

They added Law Dogs yesterday and skipped today, those stinkers. It is still a good deal. Also, I recommend checking out this cool article about the art of Deadlands.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd be adding another one later today, but nothing yet. My guess would be that if they add any more bonus books, the next one will be Lone Stars, the Texas Rangers sourcebook. If memory serves, it's the last of the "character option" sourcebooks.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

GimpInBlack posted:

Yeah, I was hoping they'd be adding another one later today, but nothing yet. My guess would be that if they add any more bonus books, the next one will be Lone Stars, the Texas Rangers sourcebook. If memory serves, it's the last of the "character option" sourcebooks.

You called it!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Here's hoping they throw in some Hell on Earth or Lost Colony stuff. It wasn't exactly great, but it'd be nice to have.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
The new Bundle of Holding is going up in a few minutes. It's King Arthur Pendragon, which was reviewed in the original F&F thread. Archives are down, but I seem to recall the review being mostly positive.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know Adam Koebel and Luke Crane talked about it at their PAX East panel on influential old RPGs; their view was pretty much "this game was really important".

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia6_z974TT4

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

inklesspen posted:

The new Bundle of Holding is going up in a few minutes. It's King Arthur Pendragon, which was reviewed in the original F&F thread. Archives are down, but I seem to recall the review being mostly positive.

It's very similar to Ars Magica in many respects, though it's obviously about Arthurian knights. It's also generational, meaning you usually end up playing your kid and possibly your kid's kid. The older books are all compatible with it so you can still play Beowulf.:black101:

The books you get as part of the bundle right now are pretty good. You're getting most of the books except the Book of the Estate, Book of the Manor and the Book of Entourage. Book of the Manor and Book of the Estate might be the same book, Estate is new and I don't have it, but Manor seems to be more economics focused than Estate. These books aren't necessary as well and are more for book keeping.

The books not included might be added in later as well. That would give the buyer pretty much everything.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
From what I've heard, the Great Pendragon Campaign is one of the best RPG campaigns ever written.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

malkav11 posted:

From what I've heard, the Great Pendragon Campaign is one of the best RPG campaigns ever written.
You have heard correctly.

(Other contenders include The Traveller Adventure and Masks of Nyarlathotep)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Masks is the best.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Enemy Within all the way. Well, most of the way. Not the final modules.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

The Enemy Within all the way. Well, most of the way. Not the final modules.

Augh, why do you have to remind me that WFRPG is still out of print?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Two more books have been added to the Pendragon bundle: Tales of Chivalry & Romance (a collection of short adventures) and the Grey Knight (a 1e adventure by the author of "Masks of Nyarlathotep")

In other news, I own 28 Bundles of Holding. Help.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yeah, I pretty much had to stop buying RPGs just because they're good.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The new Bundle of Holding is Eclipse Phase. $8.95 gets you the core, Sunward setting book, a book of NPCs, and some sample characters. Beat $15.95 and get three supplement books: Transhuman, Panopticon, and Continuity. I think Transhuman was kickstarted fairly recently.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but isn't Eclipse Phase free / open copy / pay whatever already?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The core book is; I don't know about the supplements, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
All the books are CC-BY licensed which means you can legally download all of them for free, but you should still give Posthuman money.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just to reinforce giving Posthuman Studios money, these are the guys who recently "fired" their MRA fans on the grounds that they didn't want their toxic influence in the game's community.

I'll also point out that Transhuman is completely worth the money, because it has an alternate non-spreadsheet-requiring character creation method.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Just as a note, Posthuman are the ones who basically told the MRA contingent of their forums to gently caress off forever.

So even though you can get the books for free, you should probably throw 'em a bone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, poo poo that's awesome. I was more worried the bundle people were trying to pull a fast one.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yeah, it's like when they had the Fate Core stuff in the bundle a while back. Sure, it's pay-what-you-want, but it's still worth paying for.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, it's like when they had the Fate Core stuff in the bundle a while back. Sure, it's pay-what-you-want, but it's still worth paying for.

With the difference that only the main Fate Core book is PWYW. The supplements and other bundled games have a pricetag.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DriveThru is celebrating their 10-year anniversary with some $10 bundles.

Bundle 1 is 2300 AD, Adventure!, The Book Of Monster Templates (Pathfinder), Spycraft Espionage Handbook, Don't Lose Your Mind, Firefly: Friends in Low Places, Shadowrun Digital Toolbox, The Imperial Age True20 Edition, Wild Talents 2nd Edition, and XCrawl.

Bundle 2 is the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG, E-Z Dungeons Deluxe printable terrain, Eclipse Phase, Fae Noir, Flatpack: Fix the Future, Midgard Campaign Guide (PF again), Necessary Evil Explorer's Edition (Savage Worlds), Primeval RPG, Numenara Bestiary, and Wraith 2nd Edition.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bundle of Holding just released what the next package will be for this afternoon:

quote:

Stay tuned -- later this afternoon the Bundle of Holding brings back a game dear to our hearts, and to the hearts of all citizens loyal to The Computer.
:dance:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh [REDACTED] this is going to be [REDACTED]

:retrogames:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That copy-writer should be terminated for failing to show the correct amount of love and happiness when talking about Friend Computer.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Paranoia is practically a single-player game (the GM is the only one really playing the whole time, everyone else's agency is illusory) and is more GM improv training and shared experience generator than RPG. It is one of the finest RPGs ever created, and if you have no experience with it, you owe this to yourself, especially if you GM games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

homullus posted:

Paranoia is practically a single-player game (the GM is the only one really playing the whole time, everyone else's agency is illusory)

Not really?

Also, it's the only RPG where I'd recommend you ignore the system almost entirely and just use something like coinflip resolution (or d6 with 4+ being a success and PC abilities giving +1/-1) so you can treat it as improv comedy instead of a serious game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That copy-writer should be terminated for failing to show the correct amount of love and happiness when talking about Friend Computer.

Are you suggesting that you don't consider The Computer your friend without being prompted? Please stand on the bullseye and speak clearly into the microphone when you answer.

I hope it's either a bunch of classic 2nd edition stuff or the no-longer-called-XP version, those are my faves.

homullus posted:

It is one of the finest RPGs ever created, and if you have no experience with it, you owe this to yourself, especially if you GM games.

Paranoia 2nd edition was actually one of the first non-D&D games I ever played, and was a huge influence on my GMing style in terms of how to present a setting and how to react to people's actions.

It's strange to think back now and remember how mind-blowing a lot of the stuff was back then (like the focus on narrative, the lack of distinction between players and their characters, how the rules and setting worked together).