Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think because they feel it gives the proper 'flavor' to tenements. I would imagine there is a floor to the max decay and you can raise the rent to improve quality (although I guess that would price some folks out). But yeah, based on what people have been able to mod so far I would bet there is a way to mod that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think the thing I miss the most from 4 is the ability to set the rent to 0 without any real negative consequences(other than not making any rent on it) on a segment of my high end housing so I don't have a bunch of tenements clogging up my island for my poor people to live in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Or T4's free-housing edict. But that wouldn't work with the current's class vs income system.

Do people actually even have incomes anymore or can they just buy infinite things so long as it's their wealth level? In T4 people seemed to actually have a budget. They wouldn't spend more than 1/3 on rent but could combine incomes when married. And they'd then spend their remaining on entertainment and poo poo.

So for instance does making food not free actually come out of their pockets or is it just abstracted to make them less happy? Also does charging for food starve your parasites off? Can the unemployed afford food?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The unemployed starve, yea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

The unemployed starve, yea.
Then the bastards can go ahead and starve. Or just walk into one of the many places with open jobs. :argh:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
My people are really unhappy about their entertainment and healthcare, but none of my entertainment or healthcare buildings are being used at capacity. What gives?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Healthcare and Entertainment buildings only service a certain proximity and due to the job shuffling your citizens like to do a Clinic that has /100 slots open now may only have had /33 slots open the last time the game evaluated happiness.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Proximity to what? Housing, I would assume?

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Zhentar posted:

Proximity to what? Housing, I would assume?

Yes. Also their service quality is dependent on the beauty of the surrounding area and not the buildings budget. Make sure you put some gardens down to boost it up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I'm not really interested in the campaign and enjoy the sandbox a lot (although I haven't been playing much). Can I still grow a dynasty and rank up in a long sandbox game or no?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Hrmmm. My underutilized facilities (which also include my churches apparently) are smack dab in the middle of piles of houses and apartments.

Maybe it is just a problem of musical jobs, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Decrepus posted:

I'm not really interested in the campaign and enjoy the sandbox a lot (although I haven't been playing much). Can I still grow a dynasty and rank up in a long sandbox game or no?

Yes, dynasties are separate between sandbox and campaign.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Sure. Most of the ranking up comes from your Swiss bank account, of which you can certainly build up a lot in a long sandbox, and a few events. You're unlikely to get the full number of dynasty through just a single sandbox game, however. I'm most of the way through the campaign and my dynasty roster still isn't full, although I have retired a few guys because I didn't like their abilities.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
What's the impact of building over parts of farms? It doesn't seem to impact their effectiveness, though I would expect that to lower their yields.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Decrepus posted:

You get a discount on level-up from playing the campaign however. They go from 50k to 10k for the first level and doubles for each level after; so the discount is significant later on. I don't usually play the campaign either but I did when I saw how steep the discount was. I have 2 slots open in my dynasty and playing half the campaign was enough to get me discounts for all 5 levels for the members I have. Also, the campaign was still pretty good, I enjoyed it more then I expected to, so give it a shot.

Zhentar posted:

What's the impact of building over parts of farms? It doesn't seem to impact their effectiveness, though I would expect that to lower their yields.

I'm pretty sure it lowers their land effectiveness rating as you cut it down.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gobblecoque posted:

Sure. Most of the ranking up comes from your Swiss bank account, of which you can certainly build up a lot in a long sandbox, and a few events. You're unlikely to get the full number of dynasty through just a single sandbox game, however. I'm most of the way through the campaign and my dynasty roster still isn't full, although I have retired a few guys because I didn't like their abilities.

I finished the campaign last weekend, and I only had five dynasty members.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will wait till they fix the import/export logjam until I play again.

I really want to like the game, but that ruins it for me.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I will wait till they fix the import/export logjam until I play again.

I really want to like the game, but that ruins it for me.

Rename this to something like ShipSpeed.lua (or whatever you'd like), and drop it in ...\Tropico 5\CommonLua

OnMsg.ClassesPreprocess = function()
TradeShip.critical_dist = 1
TradeShip.max_wait_collision_time = 100
TradeShip.radius = 1
TradeShip.slow_down_factor = 100
TradeShip.slow_down_perc = 500
TradeShip.full_speed = 45000
SteamShip.full_speed = 45000
SteamShip.accel = 10000
SteamShip.critical_dist = 1
SteamShip.max_wait_collision_time = 100
SteamShip.radius = 1
end

The "Full_speed" value is currently making them warp in, so feel free to tweak that down as much as you'd like. I believe the Radius makes them small enough to slide by other ships, and the wait_collision_time modifier makes them re-adjust very quickly if they do run into another craft.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Vectorwulf posted:

Rename this to something like ShipSpeed.lua (or whatever you'd like), and drop it in ...\Tropico 5\CommonLua

OnMsg.ClassesPreprocess = function()
TradeShip.critical_dist = 1
TradeShip.max_wait_collision_time = 100
TradeShip.radius = 1
TradeShip.slow_down_factor = 100
TradeShip.slow_down_perc = 500
TradeShip.full_speed = 45000
SteamShip.full_speed = 45000
SteamShip.accel = 10000
SteamShip.critical_dist = 1
SteamShip.max_wait_collision_time = 100
SteamShip.radius = 1
end

The "Full_speed" value is currently making them warp in, so feel free to tweak that down as much as you'd like. I believe the Radius makes them small enough to slide by other ships, and the wait_collision_time modifier makes them re-adjust very quickly if they do run into another craft.

Can't test this right now, but if this does the trick, you are an awesome person. The ship collision stuff is really irritating, especially when you end up with a logjam that has ships from three different eras in it because there's a point where some ships come to a dead stop and never move at all.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Yeah, it really is beyond annoying. :( Hope that'll help you guys out though.

The folks over at the Kalypso forums are coming up with all sorts of fun variables to play with. I got the ship stuff from this thread: http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=22981 Tons of other great info in that thread!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, I screwed up a little and somehow went from hovering around 0 money (with about 30k to 40k fluctuation) to between -250k to -300k. But at least I managed to reach 0 approval rating. Time for presidente to fly. :v:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is there actually an ending date for the sandbox? I got to 2015 out of mulish stubborness, saved and quit.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
I think it goes on endlessly, unless you set s specific win condition during game creation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've started crunching the numbers for a "housing re-balance and realism" mod and the default values actually aren't so bad, but it makes upgrading always the right choice, more or less.

My aims are:
Balance the housing choices pros and cons so that none of the buildings become totally obsolete.
Have upkeep cost tie in better with the quality of the housing.
Have the capacities of buildings better reflect their art, relative to each other and to their quality. For instance, an apartment is at least twice as big as a tenement but holds less people?? Modern apartments are about 4x as big as an apartment but only hold a few more.

In the end I want basically 2 "styles" of housing, houses and apartments. Houses of course are country house, house, and mansion. Cheap to build but low density housing for poor, middle, and rich respectively. Then your apartment style housing: tenements, apartments, and modern apartments. They will be more expensive to build, per-person housed, but obviously the trade off is the higher density.

I'd like to see the stats of the buildings result in our cities having a reason to have a greater diversity of housing. You don't just automatically upgrade to apartments once you hit the cold war as you don't just upgrade to modern towers in the modern age because they still serve a purpose.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the housing/tenement size difference is to reflect that apartments probably have multiple rooms, whereas it's probably 1 room per family in a tenement. Or less if you crowd them in.

Of course from a gameplay perspective, a mod makes sense.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
At the same time, the appartments and modern appartments are really loving big for just 10 / 12 families. Like a family to a floor or so.

I get why, from a balance perspective, but... It looks weird.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I want the capacities to be a bit more "realistic" for what the buildings look like, obviously taking into account that the lower quality housing represents more crowding. Of course prices will adjust to match as well. So a single apartment might house 20 families but cost more than double. Dense housing is generally more expensive to construct per square foot than low-density housing. You need concrete, elevators, proper engineering. So there will of course be actual trade-offs. Do you pay more to house your people in expensive compact apartments and save space, or do you sprawl out and build cheaper houses but then have to deal with the problems of sprawl.

If it wasn't for the stupid micro management I'd change houses to be 1 family, make them cheaper, and have you have to build a realistic number of them. If they were just build and forget that would be one thing, but poo poo like electrical upgrades and budgets makes that a huge pain in the rear end.

Also if I actually re-balanced the numbers to exactly match the art while taking a house holding 4 families as the baseline an apartment would end up holding like 64 families at the same quality level. But that's the gameplay balancing act they had to create. If you had fully realistic numbers you'd need hundreds of houses or just a few apartments, and no one wants to micro-manage hundreds of houses.

I wish electrification was global or per substation zone. Like you'd just toggle "residential electrification" on the sub-station and it would automatically subtract electricity based on the housing in range.

Also: power question. I upgraded a factory to use some power without realizing it takes a ridiculous poo poo-ton of power to run, now I want it off. Why is there no way to remove upgrades???

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 12, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Zhentar posted:

Hrmmm. My underutilized facilities (which also include my churches apparently) are smack dab in the middle of piles of houses and apartments.

Maybe it is just a problem of musical jobs, though.

Found out from the official forums today that this it isn't a musical jobs problem. There's apparently a bug that causes services to be underutilized proportional to the number of shacks, and I was noticing this problem on an island with over 100 shacks... (it was the campaign mission where they toss 300 refugees at you at once).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh yeah, that sudden influx can really gently caress you up and it's cost me the game a couple times because suddenly I had hundreds of homeless and they voted me out of office.

Next time I played the mission, I just delayed accepting that request and I won by default from building the nuclear program :v:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I would have been fine... if people kept using my services, and if my trade routes didn't keep cancelling. I decided to just wait until they fix the major bugs added by the 1.02 patch before I go back to the campaign.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is the trade hotfix out yet? That seems like it would be a pretty quick and easy thing for them to fix and get out there.

T5 has its flaws but I think if they actually keep maintaining/fixing the game and the budding modding community continues to make progress we're going to have a fantastic game.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Images of cats. :argh:

Baronjutter posted:

If it wasn't for the stupid micro management I'd change houses to be 1 family, make them cheaper, and have you have to build a realistic number of them. If they were just build and forget that would be one thing, but poo poo like electrical upgrades and budgets makes that a huge pain in the rear end.

I quickly decided that my houses and country houses were fine without electricity in 1, 3, and 4, and they are fine without electricity now. They have a house and a yard, I like to imagine they are running their own little generators once it becomes absurd to go without electricity.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I've found that mansions never need to be electrified because you have to pretty much set them on fire before they drop below 100 housing quality and you can't go over 100 housing quality.

So I get all these filthy rich people in the 21st century who enjoy their Amish lifestyles I guess.

Houses I can usually get over 90 housing quality without electricity so I've not been too bothered by the "hunt down and electrify every house," except it's more like "hunt down and destroy every vacant house that shack-dwellers for some inexplicable reason won't move into."

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't think I've ever done any electrifying of any living quarters in Tropico 5. Between having landlord managers in denser residential areas and having religious buildings upgraded with community aid I've never found housing quality to be at all a problem.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't think I've ever done any electrifying of any living quarters in Tropico 5. Between having landlord managers in denser residential areas and having religious buildings upgraded with community aid I've never found housing quality to be at all a problem.

Then how will people take advantage of Tropican Public Wi-fi?!?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tatrakrad posted:

Then how will people take advantage of Tropican Public Wi-fi?!?

Extension cords.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
So today I learned you can lose from a Tsunami. Presumably that means it destroyed my palace. What the loving gently caress? There is absolutely nothing I could do to plan for or mitigate that. I don't even get to choose where to put my palace! Why the gently caress would they put in a random "you lose, haha!" in a strategy game?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zhentar posted:

So today I learned you can lose from a Tsunami. Presumably that means it destroyed my palace. What the loving gently caress? There is absolutely nothing I could do to plan for or mitigate that. I don't even get to choose where to put my palace! Why the gently caress would they put in a random "you lose, haha!" in a strategy game?

I'd imagine that probably wasn't intended and was most likely a bug or oversight. At least I'd hope so.

On that topic, however, I really do wish the game would allow the player to hand place the palace and initial buildings. I always end up having to destroy most of them because they get in the way of my planned road grids. (:spergin:)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
After further investigation, tsunamis shouldn't destroy the palace. And that wasn't the problem for me, either, I was just failing a campaign objective at exactly the same time as the tsunami hit (it coincidentally autosaved 30 seconds beforehand so I could easily retry it to figure out what happened...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, that sudden influx can really gently caress you up and it's cost me the game a couple times because suddenly I had hundreds of homeless and they voted me out of office.

Next time I played the mission, I just delayed accepting that request and I won by default from building the nuclear program :v:

OR you can change your constitution to only allow the rich to vote until the homelessness/unemployment problem is handled.

• Locked thread