Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Discendo Vox posted:

Employees of the company aren't going to tell you that they do this. And if it's a server architect, they probably have no idea what the executive-level approach to these things is. If this were someone from Lexis working on server architecture, he's probably thinking of LexisNexus, which, together with WestlawNext, represents the relatively new "cadillac" version oftheir database system- more bells and whistles, much more expensive. These represent the first improvements or innovations in the databases essentially since their conception, and they were created almost entirely in response to each other and the slow emergence of nonprofit, free to use databases.

Lexis and West depend on the fact that other database systems aren't considered trustworthy. People ultimately pay for their services because there's nowhere else to go. If the government actually made their caselaw accessible (and the government is fully capable of performing the same storage, indexing, revision and monitoring tasks that the private corps are), then there would be very little to draw people to these companies.

Well yeah, but that's all motive, which I specifically said I didn't trust because of my experience with the subject. Is there any evidence for lobbying or is the motive the only reason it's believed Lexis and Westlaw lobby against a public database?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but if this was upheld... or if things are, from what I'm understanding you're saying, already the case, that the government can manage its employees in ways that violate their contractual rights, doesn't that mean the government couldn't fire employees for saying stupid poo poo on the job since it would be a violation of the first?

I mean, it seems a bit confusing and nonsensical. But maybe I'm missing something.

I don't quite follow what you're saying/asking, so let me know if I'm missing the mark.

It's best to look at constitutional challenges as compartmentalized issues. Just as a single statute might be subject to multiple constitutional challenges, and each constitutional challenge would be resolved separately and independently of one another, a government entity's ability to restrict the constitutional rights of its employees must be resolved with respect to each constitutional right separately and independently of one another.

I'm not well versed on public employee First Amendment law. I do know that public employees have some degree of diminished First Amendment rights under the theory that a government, as an employer, has greater interests in controlling the speech of its employees than with respect to the general population.

So, for the sake of argument, let's assume (as I believe is the case based on my very limited involvement with the issue) that a government employer can prohibit a government official from saying something on the job without violating the employee's First Amendment rights. That's a matter to be determined by First Amendment law, and has absolutely no bearing on the alternate issue of whether the government employer's other policy affecting the government official's Second Amendment rights will pass constitutional muster.

So, bringing it back to the complaint filed by the LEOs. If a court were to hold that the agreement did violate the LEO's 2A rights, that ruling has no effect on what other policies and actions the government employer can take that might appear to infringe upon the LEO's other, non-2A rights (say, for example, whether the employer could fire a LEO for saying something stupid while on the job).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cheekio posted:

Well yeah, but that's all motive, which I specifically said I didn't trust because of my experience with the subject. Is there any evidence for lobbying or is the motive the only reason it's believed Lexis and Westlaw lobby against a public database?

There's nothing for them to lobby against. There haven't been any efforts to create a meaningful public competitior.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, more in-line with self-defense law, then, does this mean that a government employee charged with taking care of mentally ill patients could kill one, if he felt his life was in danger (and it's hella-easy to feel like that as someone dealing with individuals that aren't all-there), and that they wouldn't be able to discipline him or remove him from his position for doing so?

It just seems like there are a number of government jobs where resolving things in a manner where no one dies is part and parcel of the job requirements, even if killing people would be justifiable for a non-professional stuck in the same situation, and it seems weird that you wouldn't even be able to lose your job over it.

Of course, this is hypothetical, they haven't won the case on 2nd amendment grounds yet, and it's clear by the policies of numerous government organizations that they certainly believe they have the right to enforce policies controlling their employees applications of violence in self-defense.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
If the LEOs in this case were to win on their 2A claim, then what you're asking -- how much precedential value does this case have on future cases that implicate a government employer's restrictions of a government employee's 2A rights? -- depends on a variety of factors, including:

(1) the legal reasoning upholding the 2A claim,

(2) the factual similarities between the LEO's circumstances and whatever circumstances give rise to the subsequent case, and

(3) whether the final legal opinion in this case is binding (either hitting SCOTUS or being resolved by a Court of Appeals whose geographic scope covers the place where the subsequent case arises) or merely persuasive (being resolved by a Court of Appeals whose geographic scope does not cover the place in which the subsequent case arises, or is issued in an unpublished Court of Appeals opinion, or is not appealed and results in only the district court opinion).

At this point in time, there's just too much not known to speculate as to if/how this case could more generally affect government employer's policies that limit their employee's 2A rights.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Federal circuit reversed x2 today.

Also, Bond v. United States came out today. Came to the Court as a Treaty Powers case, left the Court as a statutory interpretation case. Came to this bit:

quote:

Any parent would be guilty of a serious federal offense—possession of a chemical weapon—when, exasperated by the children’s repeated failure to clean the goldfish tank, he considers poisoning the fish with a few drops of vinegar.

Realized Roberts is a monster.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

Federal circuit reversed x2 today.

Also, Bond v. United States came out today. Came to the Court as a Treaty Powers case, left the Court as a statutory interpretation case. Came to this bit:

Realized Roberts is a monster.

Considers is the key word there but yes almost any other example would have been better. :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SCOTUS declined to hear the appeal of James Risen, the reporter who was threatened with jail time because he wouldn't testify against his source who leaked him classified information that he later published. The Federal Appeals court ruling went against him.

The DoJ claims that they will not prosecute Risen for not complying with the court.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

SCOTUS declined to hear the appeal of James Risen, the reporter who was threatened with jail time because he wouldn't testify against his source who leaked him classified information that he later published. The Federal Appeals court ruling went against him.

The DoJ claims that they will not prosecute Risen for not complying with the court.

Really it'll be up to congress to give reporters privilege, and uh, yeah....

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Oh, good, another "we don't like your standard Fed Cir but we aren't going to actually give you a standard so you can safely ignore our ruling and pretend you listened" patent opinion.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Limelight doesn't make sense on the "a client sending and a server sending" patents where two people infringe together I guess?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Limelight doesn't make sense on the "a client sending and a server sending" patents where two people infringe together I guess?

Makes perfect sense - those claims are unenforceable except where a single entity controls both client and server. Sloppy drafting leads to claims you can't enforce (see ChefAmerica). My sympathy is not with the patent attorney there.

E: but my original post was in reference to Biosig, which clarifies the indefiniteness standard not even a little bit.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Kalman posted:

E: but my original post was in reference to Biosig, which clarifies the indefiniteness standard not even a little bit.

Come on, it clarifies it at least slightly. Now we know definitively that the standard is not "insoluably ambiguous". Therefore, the universe of possible indefiniteness standards has been reduced by at least one.

Just like with Benson, Flook, Diehr, Bilski, Mayo, and soon, I expect, in Alice Corp, eventually we'll have disqualified all of the incorrect standards for method/process subject matter eligibility until the only one left will be the correct one. It's no fun if they just give you the answer from the beginning.

It's the logical extension of the socratic method - they'll keep asking the Federal Circuit questions until they arrive at the answer themselves. The en banc decision in CLS Bank was essentially the student having a breakdown, admitting to the professor they have no clue and haven't done the reading, and asking for the punishment to stop.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 2, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NJ Deac posted:

Come on, it clarifies it at least slightly. Now we know definitively that the standard is not "insoluably ambiguous". Therefore, the universe of possible indefiniteness standards has been reduced by at least one.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of Biosig in the lower courts. Potentially any patent defendant can now hang a plaintiff in claim construction with "in the alternative, since we have an expert saying [disputed term] means X and plaintiff has an expert saying [disputed term] means Y, the claim must be invalid as not 'reasonably certain'!"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

It will be interesting to see what comes out of Biosig in the lower courts. Potentially any patent defendant can now hang a plaintiff in claim construction with "in the alternative, since we have an expert saying [disputed term] means X and plaintiff has an expert saying [disputed term] means Y, the claim must be invalid as not 'reasonably certain'!"

At which point the Federal Circuit will apply the exact same inquiry they've been applying, call it "reasonable certainty," and uphold the patent as definite.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I haven't been following this dispute, but is the thread really just encountering the majestic beast known as legal reasonableness?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I haven't been following this dispute, but is the thread really just encountering the majestic beast known as legal reasonableness?

Haha, no, this is a patent law specific beast which bears no relationship to legal reasonableness (because there are things that aren't reasonable to that beast, while the patent law equivalent has never met a patent it didn't wish to adopt as its newest legitimate child.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

At which point the Federal Circuit will apply the exact same inquiry they've been applying, call it "reasonable certainty," and uphold the patent as definite.

Judging by KSR, there will be at least a few opinions that give a nod to Bilsog before the Federal Circuit goes back to what it was doing before.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I just have to laugh at the idea that "and patents are “not addressed to
lawyers, or even to the public generally,” but to those skilled in the
relevant art", seeing how at least in my field (computer stuff), the claims
are generally completely incomprehensible to a person with normal technical-only
training. I wonder if the Justices are aware of that?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

OddObserver posted:

are generally completely incomprehensible to a person with normal technical-only
And perhaps more relevantly, claims are deliberately obfuscated so as to make the patent vaguer and thus able to threaten more things. Terms are wholly manufactured and deliberately changed from what normal practitioners use so as to create more nebulous claims that could then be argued as applying to completely unrelated concepts in front of a jury in a favorable forum. I've never seen an acknowledgement of that fact in a court ruling though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The practice of broadening the remit is a bit more refined than just obfuscation, although don't get me wrong it's really reprehensible.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ulmont posted:

Judging by KSR, there will be at least a few opinions that give a nod to Bilsog before the Federal Circuit goes back to what it was doing before.

Pretty much. My bet is that the Federal Circuit finds the biosig patent "curably ambiguous" or some such under a new standard. Then, back to the supremes to see if they guessed right.

Regarding KSR, it is nice to dust off those templates.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

OddObserver posted:

ShadowHawk posted:

And perhaps more relevantly, claims are deliberately obfuscated so as to make the patent vaguer and thus able to threaten more things. Terms are wholly manufactured and deliberately changed from what normal practitioners use so as to create more nebulous claims that could then be argued as applying to completely unrelated concepts in front of a jury in a favorable forum. I've never seen an acknowledgement of that fact in a court ruling though.

Shouldn't this just make a patent ambiguous, in that a person skilled in the relevant art wouldn't know what the hell is going on?

(I know nothing about patents or the patent process, and the Federal Circuit is a strange beast that I've only heard tale of.)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Green Crayons posted:

Shouldn't this just make a patent ambiguous, in that a person skilled in the relevant art wouldn't know what the hell is going on?

If so, wouldn't that be a question of fact for the jury? In such a case, the threat will probably be successful most of the time, especially if the license costs less than the litigation.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

KernelSlanders posted:

If so, wouldn't that be a question of fact for the jury? In such a case, the threat will probably be successful most of the time, especially if the license costs less than the litigation.

Huge amounts of money wasted paying bogus license fees on bullshit patents because it'd be even more heinous to waste man-millenia deciding whether they're valid on a case-by-case basis is system working as intended, I guess?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dying for Madison's patent profits

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I'm interested in messing with a lot of things, and the whole stat pack is interesting but not complete. I'm currently writing a script to try to parse opinion PDFs and docket pages :ohdear:

Update: parsing PDFs is ugly work.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
For some reason I've been reading a lot about my least favorite Supreme Court Justice: Alito. I thought I'd share a sampling of what I've been perusing, which I think paints an insightful portrait of who he is as a person and Justice. Because why not.

(1) "Justice Alito's vote will be key in 3 cases challenging Obama's power", LA Times article that is a middle-of-the-road piece discussing Alito's jurisprudential views and his bit of theater in the national spotlight.

Key quote:

quote:

"The quality of his work is excellent. He is not a wiseguy. He's doesn't demean those who disagree with him. And you don't get pompous sloganeering from him," Fried said. "But I'm sorry that on the agenda items, he's been quite predictable. There's a real sense of an agenda with this court, and he's been part of that."

(2) Sam Alito: A Civil Man, The American Spectator article that is super pro-Alito, that gets into a lot about his personal life/views, and even has nice things to say about his jurisprudence.

Key quote:

quote:

Here, I cannot help but think, are hints of what sounds suspiciously like common sense. Is the law really incapable of distinguishing between videos of illegal animal cruelty and of, say, a father and son deer hunting? Is yelling anti-gay epithets at the grief-stricken families of non-homosexual veterans really protected by the First Amendment? These are questions that ordinary Americans understand, and many people’s answers would, one suspects, tend to line up with Alito’s. Common sense is not the touchstone with which constitutional metal is assayed. But it helps.

(3) "Splenetic Justice: Justice Samuel Alito's Role on the Roberts Court", The Nation article that is super anti-Alito, that talks about why Alito is indeed the worst Justice on the Court from a progressive/liberal point of view.

Key quote:

quote:

This Roberts Court has pretty clearly plotted the direction it wants to take the country—backwards, by viciously undoing almost all of the progressive policy gains of the 20th century. Alito, who, at 63 years old, will likely still be on the bench long after Scalia and Thomas are gone, figures to be key in that effort. That’s why it’s imperative his radical ideological agenda gets a full airing in the press now. So that when the next Republican president points to him as a model for a future nomination to the Court, the public really understands what they’d be getting—something much, much worse than just an rear end in a top hat.

I will say that I've come across some Alito opinions recently, and was pleased to find them examples of good writing. I know Roberts is The Great Writer Of Our Age, but his Bond opinion was a bit more unrestrained than normal. As if Kagan's writing style is rubbing off on him. Alito's stuff was not nearly as showy and "flourishy." So Alito does have that going for him.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Alito absolutely demeans those he disagrees with, though - maybe not in his opinions, but everywhere else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

Alito absolutely demeans those he disagrees with, though - maybe not in his opinions, but everywhere else.

That's part of why he has the nickname "Scalito." He's as much a dick as Scalia is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A database tracking the surreptitious changes to SCOTUS opinions is now available.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

How about a discussion about the just released Pom decision that Lanham act actions are permissible against deceptive food labeling? It has the potential to really shake up the food labeling industry which has been quite active in deceiving customers while hiding behind "it meets FDA requirements!"

I expect "blueberries" will become less ubiquitous in the future.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

A database tracking the surreptitious changes to SCOTUS opinions is now available.

Good. SCOTUS should have been doing this on their own, but at least someone is tracking it now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

How about a discussion about the just released Pom decision that Lanham act actions are permissible against deceptive food labeling? It has the potential to really shake up the food labeling industry which has been quite active in deceiving customers while hiding behind "it meets FDA requirements!"

I expect "blueberries" will become less ubiquitous in the future.

Grab some popcorn, this going to result in some interesting lawsuits.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

hobbesmaster posted:

Awe, this means the strawberry oatmeal I occasionally eat for breakfast will go away since it clearly states in the ingredients list that it contains no strawberries, just apples and artificial flavors.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

Wouldn't the ruling logically extend to qualified health claims? It would be a bloodbath if overextending a study to imply health benefits or just applying a flawed one might have a competitor sue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I haven't read the decision yet, but if Pom prevailed, it's going to be a Very Bad Thing. The company is known for their own deceptive and overly broad health effect claims; these most recent suits have been specifically over applying flavor labeling in a way the FDA hadn't intended- which is, again, a Bad Thing. They'll be using it to prevent anyone else from marketing juice blends or artificial flavored products in a way that will really badly disturb food labeling law. If it has the effect of cleaving FDA and FTC positions on these practices, that's even worse.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 12, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I haven't read the decision yet, but if Pom prevailed, it's going to be a Very Bad Thing. The company is known for their own deceptive and overly broad marketing practices, these most recent suits have been specifically over applying flavor labeling in a way the FDA hadn't intended- which is, again, a Bad Thing. They'll be using it to prevent anyone else from marketing juice blends or artificial flavored products in a way that will really badly disturb food labeling law.

POM won, here's the opinion of the unanimous court:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

duz posted:

Awe, this means the strawberry oatmeal I occasionally eat for breakfast will go away since it clearly states in the ingredients list that it contains no strawberries, just apples and artificial flavors.

Couldn't they just relabel it as now with real strawberry-like taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

I haven't read the decision yet, but if Pom prevailed, it's going to be a Very Bad Thing. The company is known for their own deceptive and overly broad health effect claims; these most recent suits have been specifically over applying flavor labeling in a way the FDA hadn't intended- which is, again, a Bad Thing. They'll be using it to prevent anyone else from marketing juice blends or artificial flavored products in a way that will really badly disturb food labeling law. If it has the effect of cleaving FDA and FTC positions on these practices, that's even worse.

Well, it's bad in that it makes the standards confusing but why is it bad for consumers? It would seem that the logical defense to these suits would be to actually label your products honestly -- i.e., don't sell grape juice with blueberry flavoring as "blueberry juice," even if technically allowed to by FDA rules. If you're going to sell blueberry juice make it with real blueberries?