Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Radio Talmudist posted:

If I want to play all the party NPC quests, can I just go around picking up NPCs, doing their various quests, and then drop them off? Do I have to do all that stuff before chapter 2 ends?

And btw, is chapter 2 the longest part of the game?

Technically chapters 2, 3 and 6 contend for the "longest" title, since you can do all of the sidequests in them, but since you have to do main quests in #3 I'd say it's the longest :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

jneer posted:

The main thing to keep in mind as far as NPCs go in BG2 is that spellcasters are extremely strong. Mages in BG1 and IWD never come close to the kind of apocalyptic poo poo they can do in BG2. Don't stack your group with too many physical damage-dealers.
I'm not sure about that. An Inquisitor or two will make short work of enemy mages, bypassing the need for additional spellcaster countermeasures. And spellcasters are somewhat fiddly and fragile, so having too many might make it difficult for an inexperienced player. I'd say one mage or sorcerer would suffice (and the game of course is eminently winnable without any but that might take things too far for a new player).

(Personally I generally prefer to have one mage on buffing detail and just melee everything to death instead of relying on spells.)

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Yeah but after two Inquisitors you have four slots to play with. If you take more than two melee, the fighters start getting in each other's way. Ranged physical damage drops off in terms of relevance pretty quickly. Personal preference is an absolute minimum of 1.5 divine casters and 1.5 arcane. NPCs like Jan, Anomen, Jaheira and Aerie take care of the 0.5 pretty nicely.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

jneer posted:

The main thing to keep in mind as far as NPCs go in BG2 is that spellcasters are extremely strong. Mages in BG1 and IWD never come close to the kind of apocalyptic poo poo they can do in BG2. Don't stack your group with too many physical damage-dealers.

Related to this, is there a good way to prevent my party from the held spell in BG2? It's by far the most annoying thing I've encountered in the game so far. I can't even quaff potions as monsters steadily pound away at me.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The free action spell and potions of freedom work, but they're not really easy and convenient protection.

There are items that grant limited or full free action and all of them will protect against being held. You can also use Keldorn who is immune to hold thanks to his kit, and he can always use his dispel to free held party members.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Note that freedom of movement measures tend to negate haste spells as well, which are far and away the most useful spells through most of BG2, save for maybe Breach, which is mandatory. The thing with IE games is that that the fights are often puzzles (this tendency is greatly exacerbated by difficulty mods), and spell combos are the keys. As a general rule you should not get too frustrated if you die the first time you walk into a fight. With harder ones you're pretty much supposed to. Pre-fight spell buffing is the great equalizer. Move just outside the fight range, buff, go at it. Clerics / druids have a number of saving throw buffs, use them until hold spells stop working. Or you could do it the easy way, which brings me to the next thing:

If it's your first time in BG2, go with Yoshimo and Jaheira. The former has your thieving covered (provided you burnish his lockpicking skills a bit over time) and is good with a bow, the latter has you more or less entirely covered in the cleric role (minus some nicer buffs and restoration, which you need) and is far and away the best tank in BG2 once you're able to cast 2 5th-level spells. Fill one slot with Iron Skins, which gives her an edge in melee (preferably paired with a strength-enhancing item or spell) and fill the other with insect swarm, which will completely obliterate any spellcaster who doesn't have innate magic resistance or high-level spell protections (and cause most of their buds to panic, as well). There's no save and spellcasting is completely impossible when you're hit with it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

jneer posted:

Yeah but after two Inquisitors you have four slots to play with. If you take more than two melee, the fighters start getting in each other's way. Ranged physical damage drops off in terms of relevance pretty quickly. Personal preference is an absolute minimum of 1.5 divine casters and 1.5 arcane. NPCs like Jan, Anomen, Jaheira and Aerie take care of the 0.5 pretty nicely.

I agree heartily with your party composition approach, but I would argue that Anomen is 1 and not .5 - his personality/character aside. Keep in mind that he's a dual-class human, the only such NPC in the game, and when you get him he has all of his cleric abilities and advances only as a cleric from then on at the normal exp rate. To me, he's a cleric who's a bit better at melee, unlike the other characters who advance more slowly due to being multiclass and have to wear several hats. Other than maybe getting 3/2 APR, Anomen doesn't really benefit much from his fighter levels because clerics can wear the best armours regardless and he's still stuck with the obnoxious cleric weapon restrictions. He never gets fighter HLAs, either.

Don't get me wrong - I like Anomen and he's a better brawler than Viconia, surely, but I don't think that he benefits too much from his class combination.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Nalia and Imoen are also both dual classed characters.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

jneer posted:

I guess that in narrow pathways getting to the enemy might be an issue if one has too many melee characters. That can be mitigated though by having at least some use 2-handed weapons, which will enable them to attack from a greater distance.

So out of these 4 slots you could have a mage (who hopefully won't melee), a cleric (who might if necessary), a thief (who again might if necessary) and another slot that could include another melee character. So with this setup you have 3 dedicated melee types. (Maybe 4 if you use Anomen or Jaheira and buff them properly.)

JustJeff88 posted:

Don't get me wrong - I like Anomen and he's a better brawler than Viconia, surely, but I don't think that he benefits too much from his class combination.
Anomen can get grandmastery in a weapon, so he does have that advantage. And the restriction to blunt weapons isn't a problem in my opinion. There are plenty of good blunt weapons in the game, so Anomen has options in that respect. (And good slashing or piercing weapons can simply go to other characters.)

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 10, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Before I go to the trouble of trying to get it to work, does anyone in the thread have experience with running IWD2 through GemRB for Android?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How am I supposed to know in BG2 that I have to use acid or fire to kill a troll on the ground? There's no monster info sheet or anything. I just had to look it up.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
In De'Arnise Keep at least, where a bunch of them show up, some NPCs will explicitly tell you to take out trolls that way and even hand you arrows for that purpose. Not sure if they telegraph that info in the other games.

Selane
May 19, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

In De'Arnise Keep at least, where a bunch of them show up, some NPCs will explicitly tell you to take out trolls that way and even hand you arrows for that purpose. Not sure if they telegraph that info in the other games.

They do mention it several times at the Keep, but if your first encounter with trolls is on the slaver ship(which it probably will be), you might not be able to figure out what to do.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Selane posted:

They do mention it several times at the Keep, but if your first encounter with trolls is on the slaver ship(which it probably will be), you might not be able to figure out what to do.

Yes that is what happened.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The loading screen, that thing that appears for only a split second on a modern computer, will randomly inform you about how to finish trolls off.

It's a 15 year old RPG. Back then they didn't tell you much. Absolutely nothing tells you about how liches and raksashas are immune to spell levels 1 through 5 either, which is in my opinion a far worse omission.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KingKapalone posted:

How am I supposed to know in BG2 that I have to use acid or fire to kill a troll on the ground? There's no monster info sheet or anything. I just had to look it up.
Page 34 in the manual.

Suspicious posted:

The loading screen, that thing that appears for only a split second on a modern computer, will randomly inform you about how to finish trolls off.

It's a 15 year old RPG. Back then they didn't tell you much. Absolutely nothing tells you about how liches and raksashas are immune to spell levels 1 through 5 either, which is in my opinion a far worse omission.
Rakshasa, also page 34 and slightly ambiguous. I'll have to concede the lich.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Suspicious posted:

Yeah, now that I think about it, the weird lich spell level immunity is probably the reason why so many players don't understand how Breach works.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The best thing about trolls in BG2 is that if your hurting them too fast they won't die. I had to load an earlier save before De'Arnise keep because I wasted all my arrows on a single troll.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

The best thing about trolls in BG2 is that if your hurting them too fast they won't die. I had to load an earlier save before De'Arnise keep because I wasted all my arrows on a single troll.

You don't need to reload to fix that bug. Turn off party AI by clicking the lantern, group select everyone (= key) and order them to stop (the X button). The troll should promptly fall down. Sometimes it won't and will keep attacking a nearby party member instead, in which case just move everyone away from it and it will fall down after a second or two.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

It's not that you're killing them too fast, it's a bug where hits will interrupt the script that makes the troll fall over and landing hits fast enough can basically keep the troll alive forever. The fix is to just stop attacking it for a few seconds and back melee away.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Suspicious posted:

You don't need to reload to fix that bug. Turn off party AI by clicking the lantern, group select everyone (= key) and order them to stop (the X button). The troll should promptly fall down. Sometimes it won't and will keep attacking a nearby party member instead, in which case just move everyone away from it and it will fall down after a second or two.

You misunderstand, I reloaded because I ran out of all my fire/acid arrows and I was probably like 10 at the time and didn't realize wizard superiority was a thing so I didn't have any in my party. :v:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Well I was trying to make a character who could primarily use ranged attacks (bows) and also be able to cast some area effect spells early. Am I trying to do too much/spreading myself too thin?

Quoting myself from last page. I took everyones advice and started a new BG 1 (vanilla) game and my fighter/Mage has 18 DEX and 18 INT and I think 14 CON with a point added to bows and one to long swords. Man the last time I played this game was over 10 years ago and I forgot how rough it is early on. And also about the armor restriction for spell casters. And how sleep does not heal unless in an inn. And how much easier quicksave/quickload make things. And how much time you spend doing inventory management. I've been playing nothing but Fallout New Vegas over the past few years so its an adjustment.

I've just moved on from Nashkel on the way to the mines and had the Noober encounter. Should I ditch Xzar and Montaron at Nashkel and pick up Minsc and Edwin or wait to ditch them after I get through the mines and Gnoll Fortress? I remember they get pissed and leave after a while. The goal is that I have Minsc as a permanent party member but if I recall he won't stay if Dynaheir is not added to the party. Also isn't Edwin incompatible with certain party members?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The classic out w/r/t any paired CNPCs are to kill the one you don't want and then kick them out of the party. Pretty much the only credit I can give to the BGTutu party dialogue mod is that Jaheira would call you on that halfway through the game if you ditched her lame husband's corpse. These days I just use the tweakpack to make him a fighter/mage and he's a decent ranged combatant.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If for some bizarre reason you want to have access to those dead people later after you boot them, you can just Petrify them instead and go back to Stone to Flesh the statue whenever you feel like it.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
What's the cheesiest, most game-breakingly crazy thing you've done in an infinity ward game?

In BG2, which I'm playing for the first time, I just used Sanctuary to steal all the amazing gear nestled inside the hidden treasure room in De'Arnise Keep....past the watchful gaze for 7 massive golems that activate upon the items being taken. I got this idea from a very helpful BG2 walkthrough.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Not Infinity Ward. And you'll find that gear to be pretty boring fairly shortly, and using Sanctuary as it's meant to be used isn't exactly game-breaking, cheese or crazy.

I dunno, probably infinite T/M backstabs off Project Image or however that goes?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Radio Talmudist posted:

What's the cheesiest, most game-breakingly crazy thing you've done in an infinity ward game?

A sick 360 no scope across the map.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Casting improved alacrity, improved chaos shield, time stop, then chain gunning dragon's breaths via nahal's reckless dweomer. Goooooood luck enemies.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Stuff that's not supposed to be happening can be pretty fun. Like on an uncapped FMT with access to most HLA's, use IA to get GWW, Assassination and Critical Strike all active at the same time for 10 autocrit backstabs in a round.

Or if you want stuff you can do in the base game...I cast Mislead one time, that was pretty broken.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Every time I prepare to move onto chapter 3, I find another sidequest to do. I'm not complaining....I just can't believe how much stuff there is. I kind of hope it keeps up like this....though I would like to beat the game some day!

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Radio Talmudist posted:

Every time I prepare to move onto chapter 3, I find another sidequest to do. I'm not complaining....I just can't believe how much stuff there is. I kind of hope it keeps up like this....though I would like to beat the game some day!

You can do almost all the sidequests in the game in Chapter 2 if you want, though it makes you out to be the worst step-sibling ever by just leaving Imoen to rot.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mislead is crazy loving broken. It is pretty much just cheating. If you cast it before you know enemies are coming up they will all just stand there doing nothing as you kill them with melee or cast spells over and over. Doesn't work on dragons though or some other random enemies including torgal the troll at the keep.m

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Any recommendations on how I should first build my BG2 party? I had myself, Minsc, Jaheira, Korgan, Nalia, and the EE person Hexxat. I did the slave thing in Coronet, the slave boat, and the spider lady dungeon in the graveyard, but now Nalia just ran back to her castle so I have no mage.

Hexxat is worthless so I came to the graveyard to find her tomb before getting rid of her and Korgan says his quest is here too. Need that mage though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

All the mages in BG2 are powerful, but Nalia is the least among them. Aerie is a powerhouse and a great cleric as well but her innocent Lawful Goodness chafes a lot of people (also iirc the EE-implemented spell level caps by intelligence score might hurt her as a mage). Jan is a joke character but is a decent mage in addition to ably covering thieving duties. If you've dropped Hexxat I would say just get Jan and then Keldorn.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Cast Simulacrum, petrify it, cure it, and you have a fully-functioning cloned party member.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Casting Restoration works, too.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

(also iirc the EE-implemented spell level caps by intelligence score might hurt her as a mage)

The only thing EE did is fix the level 9 spell bug where intelligence was not checked and copying was always successful. Potions of genius/mind focusing will still allow a low intelligence mage to copy anything and intelligence is still not a factor when casting spells.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tee hee, my party going into the fight with Korgan's friends in the Slums ended up with some combination of me (a Thief), Hexxat, an Aerie who couldn't cast magic without pissing off the Cowled Wizards and Korgan. So I hid the two thieves up above, triggered the enemy dialogue with Korgan, then backstabbed everyone to death while they were piling off to get him. That kind of made me reconsider never bothering to roll with two Thieves (although I guess I could accomplish the same thing by grabbing Valygar).

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Cast Simulacrum, petrify it, cure it, and you have a fully-functioning cloned party member.

Ooooh! how long does this clone last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Tee hee, my party going into the fight with Korgan's friends in the Slums ended up with some combination of me (a Thief), Hexxat, an Aerie who couldn't cast magic without pissing off the Cowled Wizards and Korgan. So I hid the two thieves up above, triggered the enemy dialogue with Korgan, then backstabbed everyone to death while they were piling off to get him. That kind of made me reconsider never bothering to roll with two Thieves (although I guess I could accomplish the same thing by grabbing Valygar).

Opening with two or even three backstabs even feels like cheating sometimes, especially when its a big Lich fight and you kill it before any protections go off. The only challenge is to position them right.