Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Elliotw2 posted:

I really wish they used that art for more than one level and one challenge level.
I don't think anyone is going to disagree with this statement :hfive:

Mortimer posted:

If I get a WiiU will it retroactively give me $5 for all the 3ds digital games I bought or is that offer only if you buy WiiU games?
Only applies to Wii U digital downloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Hello friends, just popping in to say that I've had this system since February and only just now realized there was a stylus in the gamepad well bye :downs:

Hahaha

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Macaluso posted:

Hello friends, just popping in to say that I've had this system since February and only just now realized there was a stylus in the gamepad well bye :downs:

Took me a month or so to realize it was there too. Don't feel bad.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Took me a month or so to realize it was there too. Don't feel bad.

Well at least you'll be ready to use your fingers again when you lose the stylus.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

m.hache posted:

Well at least you'll be ready to use your fingers again when you lose the stylus.

The screen actually isn't too bad for it! I mean it's no iPad, but it's not like you're typing out essays. I still hardly ever use the stylus. The only think you really need it for is handwritten Miiverse posts.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

You're not alone, this took me months to figure out too.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Since someone mentioned the YT app was pretty good on the WiiU I decided to try it out. General UI issues aside, is there really no way to turn the gamepad off? That kind of sucks.

You should be able to hit the home button, go to the gamepad settings, and turn off the screen. If you hit a button it will come back on, though!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I had a room full of friends ooh-ing and ahh-ing over Mario Kart last night. I started by putting it on single player Grand Prix just to show off how pretty it was, with people taking turns on the different tracks. We had an unexpected amount of fun just messing with the instant replays after each race. That 60 fps slow-mo... :allears:

With that said, most people agreed that the old-style arenas have to come back, after messing with the new battle mode for a bit. In a 4-player, no-COM game it just takes too long to find people. I've never wanted to pay for some hypothetical DLC so bad. Nintendo HAS to be aware of the demand here... right? :(

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Monkey Fracas posted:

You should be able to hit the home button, go to the gamepad settings, and turn off the screen. If you hit a button it will come back on, though!

Sure, that solves the problem of turning the display off, but then I can't resume playback on the YT video I'm watching (or get back to the YT video for that matter)? Seems like an incredibly dumb system (which I should expect, the WiiU's UI is garbage compared to just just about anything else). I guess I'll just leave the thing plugged in so it doesn't run out of battery...

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
So when is Xenoblade Chronicles X coming out? Any guesses? Because I'm so excited about it I feel like a kid at Christmas. Holy crap.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Everything they've shown is listed for a release at some point in 2015.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just bought the Wii U like two days ago after getting some help from the other thread. Now I see the coupons in this thread for like $30 off the system and games, etc. I also just bought a complete Klipsch 5.1 surround system and a new TV for like 3 grand just 3 days before getting a coupon from USPS for 10% off of an entire Best Buy purchase :(. I'm having the worst luck in the world with coupon timing. Good news is that Mario Kart has been blowing me away with how great it looks and sounds on the new system. Online is fun as hell and I love the way the game handles replays and spectating.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Elliotw2 posted:

Everything they've shown is listed for a release at some point in 2015.

Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 come out this year.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I just bought the Wii U like two days ago after getting some help from the other thread. Now I see the coupons in this thread for like $30 off the system and games, etc. I also just bought a complete Klipsch 5.1 surround system and a new TV for like 3 grand just 3 days before getting a coupon from USPS for 10% off of an entire Best Buy purchase :(. I'm having the worst luck in the world with coupon timing. Good news is that Mario Kart has been blowing me away with how great it looks and sounds on the new system. Online is fun as hell and I love the way the game handles replays and spectating.

Go back in with your receipt for a price match. Since you have a 14 day return policy you can get any credits/discounts applied since technically you can just return the product and repurchase it with the coupons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pichupal posted:

It could be an NNID issue if you have it linked to the account. This sounds stupid, but could you double check if you already have the Mii on your Wii U? You might already have to Mii.
I didn't see a choice to use my NNID mii, and the mii I just made is the only one on the system. But whatever, I guess I'll just have to deal with my mii looking slightly different between systems.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Sure, that solves the problem of turning the display off, but then I can't resume playback on the YT video I'm watching (or get back to the YT video for that matter)? Seems like an incredibly dumb system (which I should expect, the WiiU's UI is garbage compared to just just about anything else). I guess I'll just leave the thing plugged in so it doesn't run out of battery...

Ah yeah, of course. I think the thing dims eventually if you let it sit long enough though.

Still dumb, however...

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
You could try leaving the room with the game pad which disconnects it from the system, power it off, then use a wiimote for navigation?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

davey4283 posted:

You could try leaving the room with the game pad which disconnects it from the system, power it off, then use a wiimote for navigation?

:lol: That's even dumber than the default behavior.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I don't know dude, it's either try jumping through hoops or deal with it.

Its a pain but that's how it is.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Can't you disable the gamepad via the home menu, which throws it into idle? If so, are you able to flip to the Wii remote at that point?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yes you can, you can even disable the gamepad screen with the wiimote and it's home button, or leave the gamepad on the stand facing away from you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I sort of remember hearing that this was a negatory but is there any way to turn off the gamepad while watching Amazon Instant? Turning it off from the home menu doesn't work since it'll just leave the menu up there.

Edit: Should've read the thread. I assume it's the same as the YT issue then?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 12, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm not mad at it, I just think it's dumb that the primary control device will double the content on your tv with no way to disable it without switching to a different controller. And it is dumb.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has anyone price matched that $10 ZombiU at Target? What was the process? Who did you talk to?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Has anyone price matched that $10 ZombiU at Target? What was the process? Who did you talk to?

Last time I price matched a game at Target I just had to load up the webpage on my phone and show it to the cashier.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

Go back in with your receipt for a price match. Since you have a 14 day return policy you can get any credits/discounts applied since technically you can just return the product and repurchase it with the coupons.

I've thought about this but I think BB has a 15% restocking fee on items like these. The TV was a 60 inch so I didn't keep the box around (it's huge!).

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Why is it such a big deal if the gamepad is left on?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Why is it such a big deal if the gamepad is left on?

Battery Life
Distraction

If it has to be left on I wish you could choose to display a control scheme on it at least. I hit right on the dpad expecting to ffwd and skipped to the next video in my search results.

Anyway, I'll stop bitching about it. Someone earlier said the YT app was great so I thought I'd try it out is all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm going to give Zombi U another chance with this Best Buy deal. Can anyone that played the game a lot tell me things to keep in mind while playing to make the game more fun?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I didn't see a choice to use my NNID mii, and the mii I just made is the only one on the system. But whatever, I guess I'll just have to deal with my mii looking slightly different between systems.

I just did this last night. Create a new user, hook up your NNID, and then when it asks you to make a Mii you pick "choose existing Mii" and your 3DS Mii will be there. A little unintuitive and confusing, in my opinion.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

EC posted:

Battery Life
Distraction

If it has to be left on I wish you could choose to display a control scheme on it at least. I hit right on the dpad expecting to ffwd and skipped to the next video in my search results.

Anyway, I'll stop bitching about it. Someone earlier said the YT app was great so I thought I'd try it out is all.

Honestly I've 100% abandoned the actual YT app in favor of loading videos by going to the website in the browser. Still can't really turn off the Gamepad but it fixes the video displaying on both screens at the very least.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

I just price matched at Target to get Mario Kart for 37 even.

You have to get the game and go to customer service. They look it up and do the price match there.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Okay, I just joined Club Nintendo and its telling me that all coins and reward status will be reset by the end of this month. Should I just wait to register all of my stuff until July then...?

EDIT: Thanks a bunch everyone

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 12, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Okay, I just joined Club Nintendo and its telling me that all coins and reward status will be reset by the end of this month. Should I just wait to register all of my stuff until July then...?

If you just signed up, you don't have to worry about coins. If you can scrounge up 600 coins worth of codes, just register all of it now to earn platinum status and get one of this year's rewards. Otherwise, just hold off til July and start building up your coins for next year.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The Unholy Ghost posted:

They don't go away, but they don't count for the gold or platinum awards (which are kinda poo poo anyway).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Unholy Ghost posted:

That's only if you have coins that are going to hit their 2nd birthday (ie registered on or before June 2012). You're fine, register as much as you can.

welp

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Coins don't expire until like 3 years after they're registered, but July is the deadline for registering 600 coins worth of games to get your platinum reward for this year. If you're interested in chasing platinum status then wait until July to register stuff and fill out surveys, if not then it doesn't really matter.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was saving my coins because the game sales rotated on the 8th. I loved Super Metroid but was curious what other options there would be.

The next round of them aren't that good. I wish it was a newer Mario Party.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

m.hache posted:

I was saving my coins because the game sales rotated on the 8th. I loved Super Metroid but was curious what other options there would be.

The next round of them aren't that good. I wish it was a newer Mario Party.

There aren't any other digital Mario Parties that can be played on Wii U though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

So I called in and basically the store told me they won't charge a restocking fee. I am going to return the TV and use the 10% off coupon to get a 70 inch instead for like 200 bucks more. Woot!

• Locked thread