Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Boogiepop is analog recording hell and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

laplace posted:

Anyway I wasn't singling out Kyoani as much as I was the specific production of Angel Beats for an example. I like Kyoani stuff and they have a lot of good stuff, I was just making a point with one of their more poorly animated series. I could have used Chaos;head or even Naruto or anything else. No hate to Kyoani at all.

Angel Beats was P.A Works btw, and not a kyoani work in anyway. Just to give you a heads up on that one.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

The Black Stones posted:

Angel Beats was P.A Works btw, and not a kyoani work in anyway. Just to give you a heads up on that one.

I had thought so but since people brought up Kyoani I assumed maybe I had been mistaken. I was originally just referencing Maeda Jun stuff.

Edit: to be fair, Kyoani's early Key stuff does look kind of jank.

laplace fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 2, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's really easy to make that mistake since Kyoani had adapted all of Key's stuff up to that point. I forgot all about that too!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so I accidently stumbled upon a movie version of ping pong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDcK4b-fLXc

it's pretty entertaining despite the fact it has no subs

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Subs for the ping pong movie definitely exist. A quick search on amazon finds this, and if it's on amazon you can definitely find it elsewhere.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Condiv posted:

so I accidently stumbled upon a movie version of ping pong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDcK4b-fLXc

it's pretty entertaining despite the fact it has no subs

It's actually licensed by Viz. So there's no reason to watch it without subs.

e;fb But yeah, there's even a japanese blu-ray so there's no reason to make do with a youtube video.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

glomkettle posted:

Subs for the ping pong movie definitely exist. A quick search on amazon finds this, and if it's on amazon you can definitely find it elsewhere.

i figured they did, i just was too lazy to look for them

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

I had thought so but since people brought up Kyoani I assumed maybe I had been mistaken. I was originally just referencing Maeda Jun stuff.

Edit: to be fair, Kyoani's early Key stuff does look kind of jank.

Key girls have always looked weird with their bizarre facial proportions, but in some of the earlier Kyo Ani adaptations the girls look loving terrifying.

Finally got around to the recent episode. Poor Wenge. That bit of fatalism and imagery at the end really hit hard.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Key girls have always looked weird with their bizarre facial proportions, but in some of the earlier Kyo Ani adaptations the girls look loving terrifying. Clannad and Angel Beats were a lot better about it.

Finally got around to the recent episode. Poor Wenge. That bit of fatalism and imagery at the end really hit hard.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Callick posted:

First, that's exactly what I was saying. You're reinforcing my point. People like boring, dull cookie-cutter poo poo because they are dull, boring cookie-cutter people with low level taste that doesn't extend beyond a basic appreciation for something looking like regular anime. Second, I think Aku no Hana's anime had excellent art. It was extremely consistent, conveyed emotion and poignancy very well, and was hugely pleasing to my aesthetic sense. Really, I think it discredits both Yuasa's body of work and the team that produced the AnH anime to not think of them as bold contemporaries in the world of unique, artistic anime production that pushes boundaries and challenges what the common person's perception of what "anime" actually is. I think it is the exact same issue.

Much like how a lot of what constitutes modern humor is merely referencing something else with no actual joke setup or punchline, I think that many anime fans simply go down a checklist of tropes and standards when watching a new show to decide if it's "good" or not. Clean, normal looking art style with your average character archetypes and same old setting and story? Good enough, for most people.

It seems that the only thing we disagree about is Aku no Hana's art. I watched the show before I read the manga, so I didn't have any thoughts on how the thing should look beforehand. AnH characters were not consistent; they went from being stumpy to lanky to fat to gaunt from scene to scene. Characters lost and gained details at random. While the rotoscoping added to the environment of the show, all it did in the end was make everyone look like a goofy moron. I think if a bit more money had been spent on the rotoscoping, it would have been much better (there are other shows that did it well), although the pacing really didn't make sense.

Srice posted:

Heck, a lot of the Aku no Hana/Flowers of Evil backlash was because there was a manga and thus people expected the characters to look a certain way. I love the hell out of that adaption, but I think if there was no manga it would just be something that most people would shrug and ignore instead of going out of their way to bitch about it.

(Tho a lot of the hostility was definitely a knee-jerk reaction based on a few frames that didn't look good in still shots)

I didn't read the manga until after I finished the show and while I'm sure some people did that, I don't think its the only issue at hand.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I love you, randomly traveling ex-pingponger.

I hope Peco doesn't completely destroy his knee forever :ohdear:

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.
Just watched episode 9 and not only is this my favourite series of this season but this one episode is now one of my favourite of all time. And this is just setting up the final showdown! :woop:

I think what won me over was how well it treats all its characters. Obviously we know who the main players are but no one is ever shunted aside or forgotten; just because a character loses a match or is not primary character material, that character is never treated as filler background character that is disposable once a primary character learns their "lesson" or get a "power-up". The thematic question may be "who / what do you play for" but the series also does a fantastic job of showing that walking away from the sport and shedding whatever identity came from / with it is just as empowering as deciding to win or pursue the sport. There are clear "losers" (like the ex-ping pong traveling guy and Wenge's band of "lost ducklings") but they're given great opportunities for characterization. I can't consider them as losers at all. This is such good poo poo and it just infuriates me that there aren't more people watching this!

There's that Jo-Jo "It's Friday" meme thing going around. There should be a Ping-Pong "It's Thursday" meme too. :colbert:

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Oh no, Peco :ohdear:

I haven't got a clue who the guy chatting with Kazuma in the bathroom was. Unless he was the guy who had to quit because he lost to Smile?

So when ping-pong wanderer shows up in the middle of this match (or the next) I'm betting he see Peco playing his heart out on a busted knee and is super ashamed of how easily he walked away from the sport. Which is great, because it means he can be the Peco next season.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

linall posted:

Oh no, Peco :ohdear:

I haven't got a clue who the guy chatting with Kazuma in the bathroom was. Unless he was the guy who had to quit because he lost to Smile?

That was "Akuma" Sakuma, yeah.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
From bald to delinquent hair, basically the best.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This show is so much better than anything else this season it ain't funny.

Not only makes you care about pretty much all characters but, for once, I have no idea of how will the final Peco vs Smile match end. Sure, it could be a re-thread of what happened with butterfly-Jo but I think this series is going to be above that.

Also: Akuma's gf has the most annoying voice. Excellent.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm so goddamn pumped to see this motherfucking ping-pong match next week. :madmax:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I love this show but I don't know about the knee thing. It feels a bit forced. I worry about the ending.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
This episode was incredible.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

trucutru posted:

Also: Akuma's gf has the most annoying voice. Excellent.
She sounds like a sheep.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I'm worried that this show will end without a happy ending for Wenge :ohdear:.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Khagan posted:

I'm worried that this show will end without a happy ending for Wenge :ohdear:.

I dunno, Wenge already seems to have found a lot of contentment in training his team and making friends. Of anyone he's come the furthest to a conclusion so far.

But seriously this show. It's the best show.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Kong is my animated drawing to replace women.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011
I just watched the first eight episodes of this over the past two nights, and it's fantastic :allears: The "fleshy," relatively-realistic animation style and focus on character interactions (as well as the lack of your typical anime tropes/ nerd-pandering bullshit) gives the show a very grounded feel. At the same time, the competition scenes are exciting and the pacing kept me captivated throughout -- and I don't normally enjoy marathoning episodes of tv series.

Also, the scenes of Peco snacking in episode two introduced me to the existence of tako senbei, a real food made by flattening and grilling a whole octopus.

(Or I guess, in this case, four little octopi.)

Fake Edit: In the recurring bit of animation when the Hero sprouts wings and launches into the air, is there a witch on a broomstick flying in front of the moon, or am I just crazy? Maybe it's just a feather.

Real Edit: Nah, I just sat through another antacid advertisement on Hulu to check (:argh:), and it is a witch. The goofy background details like this (and burger-hawk) are great.

BlueFlowerRedSky fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 8, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

The "fleshy," relatively-realistic animation style and focus on character interactions (as well as the lack of your typical anime tropes/ nerd-pandering bullshit) gives the show a very grounded feel.

If you haven't yet, watch basically everything else by Masaaki Yuasa.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

If you haven't yet, watch basically everything else by Masaaki Yuasa.

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of his. I never got into Kemonozume for whatever reason, but I've enjoyed Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Mind Game, and some of the short films he's worked on. (Looking at his Wikipedia article, it seems that he also did some animation for Welcome to the Space Show? That was a weird movie: the animation is nice (if slightly derivative of Ghibli), the alien and world designs are interesting, it starts out as a solid children's science-fantasy with relatable themes and characters in a range of age groups -- but everything just breaks down at the third act.)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Real Edit: Nah, I just sat through another antacid advertisement on Hulu to check (:argh:), and it is a witch. The goofy background details like this (and burger-hawk) are great.

I'm pretty sure that's just a bird in the sky (probably a kite), though now I can't unsee the witch in that picture.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Thank goodness for this thread because I probably would not have heard about this anime without it. This is really good stuff.

I really like Dragon's journey from stand offish loner to mother hen. I feel like he has the most complete arc so far. I really hope the other character's arcs land with as much impact as the scene with Kong and his mom and his team all bonding over food.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kong is Plane, not Dragon.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, that's what I get for posting at four in the morning.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm surprised reading early posts in this thread that there is still a stigma with ping pong. Like have they even seen pro table tennis? The play is absolutely amazing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant believe the thing I've just watched. Its there, right in front of me, but I still cant believe it exists.

This show has left me dumbstruck with how good a lot of the scenes are, but the payoff for this episode, its end, is something else. I've never seen an anime as well directed and executed as this.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
imma gonna say, im in love with this show

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
ping pong: good?

yes.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Today's episode was unbelievably good. Like drat.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

I haven't seen any other anime from this season (do I even have to?), and it's not over yet, but can safely say this is by far the best show from, hell, anything. So good.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I was looking forward to this episode having read the manga but it managed to exceed my expectations. So, so good.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Not gonna lie, had a big old shiteating grin on my face when the full version of the hero's music kicked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This episode owned too hard, I can't believe how good it is.

• Locked thread