Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Grand Fromage posted:

Every Korean city has a stupid flag/logo, but Daejeon's is hands down the best.

That is the actual tourist slogan. I'll give it one thing, it is factually accurate.

Is the flag really in english?

EDIT: Google and wikipedia say "yes" but I can't find any image of it actually flying from a building. Hot air balloon yes, building no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes, all the city flags/slogans are in English. Otherwise Seoul couldn't have their wonderful and deeply original pun, Soul of Asia! :buddy:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Every Korean city has a stupid flag/logo, but Daejeon's is hands down the best.

That is the actual tourist slogan. I'll give it one thing, it is factually accurate.

Not a flag or anything but the official tourist slogan of the Dutch (rather boring) city of Tilburg:

"Tilburg. You are here."

3peat
May 6, 2010

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I'm sorry, but who would agree that Belgium is more ethnically diverse than the USA? Just because they are divided between the Flemish and Walloons? Both very much white? And a small German minority I suppose.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

I'm sorry, but who would agree that Belgium is more ethnically diverse than the USA? Just because they are divided between the Flemish and Walloons? Both very much white? And a small German minority I suppose.

I dunno, applying the American arbitrary criteria probably wouldn't make any sense. By that measure most of Africa would be red due to being black, and therefore with little ethnic variance or something.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Ya that map more than a lot of others NEEDS to let us know its criteria.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

quote:

When five economists and social scientists set out to measure ethnic diversity for a landmark 2002 paper for the Harvard Institute of Economic Research, they started by comparing data from an array of different sources: national censuses, Encyclopedia Brittanica, the CIA, Minority Rights Group International and a 1998 study called "Ethnic Groups Worldwide." They looked for consistence and inconsistence in the reports to determine what data set would be most reliable and complete. Because data sources such as censuses or surveys are self-reported – in other words, people are classified how they ask to be classified – the ethnic group data reflects how people see themselves, not how they're categorized by outsiders. Those results measured 650 ethnic groups in 190 countries.

One thing the Harvard Institute authors did with all that data was measure it for what they call ethnic fractionalization. Another word for it might be diversity. They gauged this by asking an elegantly simple question: If you called up two people at random in a particular country and ask them their ethnicity, what are the odds that they would give different answers? The higher the odds, the more ethnically "fractionalized" or diverse the country.

I've mapped out the results above. The greener countries are more ethnically diverse and the orange countries more homogenous. There are a few trends you can see right away: countries in Europe and Northeast Asia tend to be the most homogenous, sub-Saharan African nations the most diverse. The Americas are generally somewhere in the middle. And richer countries appear more likely to be homogenous.

From
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/16/a-revealing-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-ethnically-diverse-countries/

aka 100% Premium USDA Bull poo poo

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
You'd think Russia would score higher.

Taken from here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

steinrokkan posted:

I dunno, applying the American arbitrary criteria probably wouldn't make any sense. By that measure most of Africa would be red due to being black, and therefore with little ethnic variance or something.

I don't know what you mean with American arbitrary criteria (I'm German). I very much think that Belgium is pretty diverse, with the main groups speaking different languages and having different cultures, but they are still two Western European white ethnic groups, and I just don't think that rivals the ethnically diverse make-up of the USA.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sometimes, small towns don't have big budgets or long histories that they can put on their flags. Sometimes, the best they can do is the city seal (which includes such notable things as the Court House, the historic Street Lamps, and the "Y" painted on a hill in the town), all on a field of purple, which happens to be the color of the local high school.

Sometimes these towns are also in states that have the "field of blue" flag, but at least in this case the flag has a cool motto on it.

Though there can be some cool heraldry in the area, as with the local diocese. (Churches on top of snowy mountains.)

And as for this quote from earlier in the thread:

DarkCrawler posted:

Haha, I can just imagine some starry-eyed just ordained priest getting sent into some dirt-poor hellhole where half of the congregation only speaks Spanish and the other half is addicted to meth. Though maybe that's exactly what a starry-eyed priest would be looking for, I don't know.

Well, when there's churches that need priests all throughout a state that looks like this:

That's what you get.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I didn't realize Nevada was literally nothing except Las Vegas and Reno

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, all the city flags/slogans are in English. Otherwise Seoul couldn't have their wonderful and deeply original pun, Soul of Asia! :buddy:

Well, that's actually something. It used to be "Hi Seoul" and "My Seoul, our Seoul" before that.

Dynamic Busan, Colorful Daegu, Ace Yongin, Pine City Gangneung, Ole Ole Yang Yang, if someone has one, then everyone else has to have one as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

80% of it is owned by the US Government.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Don't forget Carson City!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In fairness a lot of Western states are like this:

Compare with, say, Michigan:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

computer parts posted:

In fairness a lot of Western states are like this:

Compare with, say, Michigan:

Can't be any worse than:

Wyoming

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Map request:

A while ago I saw a sort of interactive presentation about walls around the world. These were walls that seperated countries, like the wall in Israel/Palestine, USA/Mexico, North and South Korea, along with many lesser known ones like Cyprus and Western Sahara. I think it was made by al-Jazeera, but I can't for the life of me find it.

I did find this somewhat older and not nearly as cool looking BBC version though, which unfortunately lacks maps:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/world/2009/walls_around_the_world/default.stm

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Nevada was the least populous state in every census from its admission until 1960, when it managed to at least finish ahead of newly-admitted Alaska. It was hastily shoved into statehood mere days before the 1864 presidential election in the hopes of ensuring Lincoln's reelection (a totally unnecessary measure, but its constitution was at the time one of the longest documents ever sent by telegraph); its population at that time was well short of the 40,000 normally required. Basically, it's not all that long ago that Nevada was literally nothing, full stop.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Count Roland posted:

Map request:

A while ago I saw a sort of interactive presentation about walls around the world. These were walls that seperated countries, like the wall in Israel/Palestine, USA/Mexico, North and South Korea, along with many lesser known ones like Cyprus and Western Sahara. I think it was made by al-Jazeera, but I can't for the life of me find it.

I did find this somewhat older and not nearly as cool looking BBC version though, which unfortunately lacks maps:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/world/2009/walls_around_the_world/default.stm

Are you thinking about this?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2013/nov/walls

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not a flag or anything but the official tourist slogan of the Dutch (rather boring) city of Tilburg:

"Tilburg. You are here."

Wow now, we totally got poo poo going on. Concerts, broken down old train repair shops being converted, concert halls, some fancy benches, an old palace. We got it all!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I don't see what the problem is?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't see what the problem is?

Because it is measuring homogeneity in self-identified racial categories (so for instance if you're in a nation where tribal identification is strong then you'll self-identify with that tribe rather than some blanket-U.S. style label like "caucasian"). So there is a worry that it is capturing a socio-linguistic phenomenon ("how many racial categories are in widespread use") rather than a socio-cultural phenomenon ("how racially homogeneous is this country").

I think it's probably a fine methodology on balance, especially since the alternative (use the standards of one nation's racial categorization scheme for the entire planet) I think has just as many problems (imagine using the R.S.A.'s "black/coloured/white/asian/other" scheme for instance).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattachism

vs

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Why not both?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Fojar38 posted:

Can anyone guess this one?

That would be the Coat of Arms of the Canadian Space Agency.

How about my Province's Flag.

Just an revered Scottish Flag with the Seal in the middle. Make sense considering its name means 'New Scotland' in latin

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

Because it is measuring homogeneity in self-identified racial categories (so for instance if you're in a nation where tribal identification is strong then you'll self-identify with that tribe rather than some blanket-U.S. style label like "caucasian"). So there is a worry that it is capturing a socio-linguistic phenomenon ("how many racial categories are in widespread use") rather than a socio-cultural phenomenon ("how racially homogeneous is this country").

I think it's probably a fine methodology on balance, especially since the alternative (use the standards of one nation's racial categorization scheme for the entire planet) I think has just as many problems (imagine using the R.S.A.'s "black/coloured/white/asian/other" scheme for instance).

There is zero way Belgium or Switzerland is more ethnically diverse than the United States or Great Britain.

For Christ's sake, Lithuania and Latvia are supposedly more ethnically diverse than the US.

Just because the Swiss consider German Swiss different from French Swiss doesn't mean they're anywhere near as separate as America's different ethnic groups.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also, Nova Scotia's flag is boss.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Best FIFA World Cup result

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

made of bees posted:

Why not both?

Couldn't find a map :(

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I live in Manchester which has a good coat of arms I think.

The yellow lines represnt the Mersey, the Irwell, and the Irk rivers, the boat at the top represents the Manchester Ship Canal, and top of the helmet you have the worker bee (the symbol of manchester) spreading out all over the world.

The greater Manchester flag is fairly good as well, with a castle for each of the ten boroughs.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That's it. Thank-you.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Pook Good Mook posted:

For Christ's sake, Lithuania and Latvia are supposedly more ethnically diverse than the US.

Russians.

e; also that is Estonia and Latvia, Lithuania is depicted as less diverse than USA :eng101:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 13, 2014

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
This map hangs in a classroom at my college:
"Territorial and Name Changes in East Asia Since the Korean War as Depicted by a College History/Political Science Department Too Lazy and/or Cheap to Get a New Map."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tree Goat posted:

The fact that a racial ethnic category is in widespread use seems to me to in itself be evidence of its relevance, since ethnicity has a whole lot to do with people's own perception.

Pook Good Mook posted:

There is zero way Belgium or Switzerland is more ethnically diverse than the United States or Great Britain.

How do you define diverse? Is a strong core with a lot of tiny ethnic groups around it more diverse than a country split down the middle by two core groups?

Pook Good Mook posted:

Just because the Swiss consider German Swiss different from French Swiss doesn't mean they're anywhere near as separate as America's different ethnic groups.
Swiss German is spoken as a first language by 64% of the population, Swiss French by 20%, Italian by 6.5%, and Romansh by 0.5%, with the remainder being various immigrant languages. Meanwhile, English is the first language of 80% of the American population, while Spanish is at 12.4%. At least linguistically, the Swiss seem more separate than Americans.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

There's a reason we picked it as the state to turn into an irradiated hellscape back in the Cold War.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that a racial ethnic category is in widespread use seems to me to in itself be evidence of its relevance, since ethnicity has a whole lot to do with people's own perception.

This. Identification of that category, either by those holding the identity, or forced upon them by outsiders, is what makes an ethnicity. Ethnicities aren't objective things.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

This. Identification of that category, either by those holding the identity, or forced upon them by outsiders, is what makes an ethnicity. Ethnicities aren't objective things.
I wonder, how come people from different ethnicities do not look the same?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Pook Good Mook posted:

Well if you find a metric that captures "average difference from the national monoculture" let me know.

But in general I don't think there's a metric that is going to satisfy everyones' even cursory definitions of diversity.

e.g. is Nigeria diverse because it has something like 200 some-odd major tribal groups, or is it not diverse because over 90% of the populace is historically from a similar geographic area and would be put in the same U.S. census "race" bucket?

Is a country with a bunch of unofficial spoken languages more diverse than one with a bunch of official spoken languages, is a country with a lot of immigrants more diverse than one with a lot of different "native" cultures, &c. &c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yup, I agree. What you are going to capture is a socio-politico-cultural thingy, which I think is important and useful, but it's not super useful for a "which country is the most diverse?" pissing contest.