Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone playing Ride to Hell unlock Mirror Mode? What does it do?

Also noticed a bug: Starting a survival game seems to ignore my vehicle selection, choosing the last vehicle I used in story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
drat Little Town is a neat idea (Carcassonne + Survive!) but it needs a wrench-in-the-works kind of rule to shake things up during placement phase. Tileblocking alone isn't enough to prevent you from dropping all your meeples on tiles right next to an exit.

The basic game is free for the next day or so, you can pay to upgrade it to a 4 player game but I wouldn't recommend it. The flaws don't go away with more players.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just added everyone on the previous page for Sky Force. I think my GC account is Mr. Bobombastic, so feel free to add me. As for things to avoid: Devil Shard is not very good. It apes a Dark Souls aesthetic (which, admittedly, is pretty on the nose) with a really anemic match-3 mechanic. Probably avoid it.

RIP Battle Cats. :negative:

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Soooo has anyone played Rival Knights? Obviously besides me... It's a fun jousting game, you should give it a try if you haven't already.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nauta posted:

Soooo has anyone played Rival Knights? Obviously besides me... It's a fun jousting game, you should give it a try if you haven't already.

I REALLY got into it the first couple days. Won some events, have about 100 Gems now. And kinda just fell out of it. It's fun, but it's pretty arbitrary/stats based.

Like you pretty much win if you excel in 2 out of the 3 stats. And you pretty much lose if you don't. Some you can overcome in-game, like horse speed.

I like it. I even like it's simplicity. But I think that Simplicity was also the foundation of me not staying hooked. I still play it occasionally though.

Also the hits in slow mo are never unsatisfying. EVER!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Oh god, Record of Agarest war is on iOS.
http://appshopper.com/games/record-of-agarest-war

For only the same price as Final Fantasy Tactics you can get a game with a promising battle system and terrible :effort: dating sim storyline that will make you question why you're spending time playing the game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is that good? I've been looking for a new tactical game and I can halfass the dating whatever bullshit.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

nucleicmaxid posted:

Is that good? I've been looking for a new tactical game and I can halfass the dating whatever bullshit.

No, it's bad. Even disregarding the creepy poo poo it's very very bad. I picked one of them up years ago when I was looking for a digaea-like fix and it's just about the most tedious thing ever and even the full console game was stuffed with microtransactions.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Added goons from last page for Sky Force- my Game Center is Imsakidd if anyone wants to add me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So is anyone playing Sky Force on two devices with a cloud link? It doesnt appear that stars are updating correctly between my phone and tablet. Everything else is fine though.

Also playing on a phone is ridiculous.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goferchan posted:

That's not even entirely true; it took til like after level 3 for it to show up at all for me & I checked the hangar plenty of times without enough stars for my next upgrade. I was more than ready to buy the doubler and get rid of the ads at that point, too.

Oh I forgot to say in my earlier posts -- I'm getting no sound! Sound in other games works fine but I checked the in-game settings and SFX and music are both enabled but I hear nothing. Anyone else have this problem?

Shut it down and stop the process (double home click, then flick the screen up to get rid of it), then restart.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Good Citizen posted:

No, it's bad. Even disregarding the creepy poo poo it's very very bad. I picked one of them up years ago when I was looking for a digaea-like fix and it's just about the most tedious thing ever and even the full console game was stuffed with microtransactions.

It's so awful. I thought that the game was going to be some kind of tactics/ persona hybrid but it's just awful by every standard. The gameplay is horrible. It has no depth whatsoever. It's like a flash version of a tactics game thrice removed. The story is painful. Characterization is nonexistent. The artwork is generic and irritating. The voices are screechy. The music is bland.

This game is any guilt you may have about buying an anime-inspired dating sim related game given form as video game contrapasso. This game is what Dante would envision hell to be like for the exact subset of gamer you know this game is targeted at. This game is the TMZ of video games. Do not buy this game. Do not tell other people to buy this game. Do not acknowledge the existence of the game. Do not unleash its kind upon the world.

It's almost fascinating how bad the game is and how it has managed to survive despite that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh. That's disappointing. :smith: thanks for the info at least!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

It's so awful. I thought that the game was going to be some kind of tactics/ persona hybrid but it's just awful by every standard. The gameplay is horrible. It has no depth whatsoever. It's like a flash version of a tactics game thrice removed. The story is painful. Characterization is nonexistent. The artwork is generic and irritating. The voices are screechy. The music is bland.

This game is any guilt you may have about buying an anime-inspired dating sim related game given form as video game contrapasso. This game is what Dante would envision hell to be like for the exact subset of gamer you know this game is targeted at. This game is the TMZ of video games. Do not buy this game. Do not tell other people to buy this game. Do not acknowledge the existence of the game. Do not unleash its kind upon the world.

It's almost fascinating how bad the game is and how it has managed to survive despite that.

This is awesome and exactly how I feel about ghost trick.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
All I remember from that game (gave up before it went super creepy) was that to do the actual good attacks you had to have your team in a very specific formation, so you spend all your fighting time counting how many squares each person is left and down from the lead formation guy or whatever. It made fighting so extremely tedious. Then there's just waaaaaaay too many battles where you fight generic nobodies and hate yourself for bothering.

I also remember they sold experience points as DLC for like $10 a pop.

Don't ever give them money

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I took the plunge and gave Dragon Quest 8 a shot. I was given the impression there was no music at all :v:. But the music sounds decent enough for me. And im totally echoing the ease of playing on this. It feels incredibly natural. I'm not really bothered by lack of VA. What does bother me is the FPS, which I could only describe as painful. Its playable, but god I'd be happy for just like 5 more. I knew there was going to be some slowdown by the reviews on the app store, but I didn't know by that much. Still, PS2 game on a 5c is pretty remarkable either way.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

tuyop posted:

You are really good at holding grudges, huh?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is there anything I can do to trick DQ8 into letting me listen to my music while playing it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh... Sky Force .

I filled up my main gun's upgrade bar. Thinking it'd be the best it can be and super amazing. No. That bubble on the end? It turned into a 2 and my bar's empty again. There's a whole other level of upgrades. :stonk: :neckbeard:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SynthOrange posted:

There's a whole other level of upgrades. :stonk: :neckbeard:

I'm at level 3 and counting... :neckbeard:

It seems powerful enough for the levels I'm playing. Now, if it would spread it's shots a bit, not THAT would be an upgrade. Secondary weapons are all at level 1, so I'm hopoing I will get more missiles, or the wing cannons will spread, too.

How do you use shields? You can buy a "charge" (I guess, haven't done it) for 100 stars at mission start, but I've picked up some shields power up that don't sseem to do anything.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

RedRupee posted:

I'm on level 6. The weapon disable thing follows you for effectively forever. If you notice the awards are for 70% and 100% stars not kills. Level 6 is such a huge increase in difficulty, though. I've been trying to get my wide shot up but the cost is just so high. I don't understand what you mean by the people required for level 6. I just had to get enough medals and beat the last level from what I know.

I was being an idiot and meant level 7 not 6. I never noticed the bit about total stars not kills though, thanks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm at level 3 and counting... :neckbeard:

It seems powerful enough for the levels I'm playing. Now, if it would spread it's shots a bit, not THAT would be an upgrade. Secondary weapons are all at level 1, so I'm hopoing I will get more missiles, or the wing cannons will spread, too.

How do you use shields? You can buy a "charge" (I guess, haven't done it) for 100 stars at mission start, but I've picked up some shields power up that don't sseem to do anything.

Take your finger off the screen; a button will appear.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

SynthOrange posted:

So is anyone playing Sky Force on two devices with a cloud link? It doesnt appear that stars are updating correctly between my phone and tablet. Everything else is fine though.

Also playing on a phone is ridiculous.

You have to go into both devices and turn on cloud in the settings. It's working for me, at least.

I'm taco show on Game Center. I mostly play on my phone so if you want to win tournaments, add me.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

All I remember from that game (gave up before it went super creepy) was that to do the actual good attacks you had to have your team in a very specific formation, so you spend all your fighting time counting how many squares each person is left and down from the lead formation guy or whatever. It made fighting so extremely tedious. Then there's just waaaaaaay too many battles where you fight generic nobodies and hate yourself for bothering.

I also remember they sold experience points as DLC for like $10 a pop.

Don't ever give them money

Sorry for the minor derail, but what exactly makes this game super creepy?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

SynthOrange posted:

Same here - cloud is turned on on both devices and the iPhone never picks up the save. I'm going to uninstall it from the phone and see if that makes a difference.

edit: did not work.

porktree fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

tuyop posted:

Quality troll post right here people!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Superschaf posted:

You are really good at holding grudges, huh?

I had such a good review effort post typed up and then I lost it somewhere in the shuffle of taking nine months off of smart phones. :(

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The Angry Birds freemium RPG Epic went live. http://appshopper.com/games/angry-birds-epic

I have played it for a bit this morning, and so far it seems fun. I haven't noticed any timers (might be some once daily free crafting mats). So you can play as much as you want. The freemium currency is used for some mid battle items (you can craft some weak consumables with in game stuff), special equipment, or permanent upgrades (better anvil for crafting, start every battle with a full special attack bar).

The gameplay itself is fun. The battles seem to require a little more thought than just auto attacking every turn. Every bird has a normal attack, a buff of some sort, and a special attack/buff. As you find new hats for each bird, their "class" changes slightly with changes to the attack bonus and the buff. For example, the generic red bird is the warrior/tank of the game. The base class buff gives one bird a 55% damage reduction shield for 3 turns, and the regular attack has a taunt. The first class hat you find changes the buff to give all birds a 25% damage shield for 3 turns, and the attack to reduce the damage of the target. The gameplay is fairly standard RPG, you attack/buff with all your birds, then the enemy attacks with their pigs. I am not very far in, and there seems to be a decent amount of enemy types to encounter so far.

I do for see a lot of grinding in this game. At the end of a battle, you get a number of crafting materials equal to the number of stars you earned, with a small chances of x3 to one of them. The early weapons take 12-18 items to craft, and when you craft, a due is rolled that adds 0 to 3x a small stat bonus. You can use a tertiary currency (friendship points from Facebook) for rerolling that result. The bonus is usually small enough that it's isn't necessary to ensure the 3x bonus, but it is nice. Also, friendship points only seem to be used for rerolling crafting results and battle rewards.

About the only real gripe I have is that the game requires an internet connection to play. I assume that the only reason is for the occasional ad that pops up (but can be immediately closed), and to prevent cheesing any potential daily rewards by messing with your device clock.

/TLDR: a well implemented freemium that is fun to play.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

loudog999 posted:

Is there anything I can do to trick DQ8 into letting me listen to my music while playing it?

I just have music playing when I start, DQ8 pauses for the ingame music, then I hit the unpause button on my headphones and it starts back up.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Angry birds epic is another iap game that starts out pretty cool and quickly descends into unfun grinding due to the enemies getting super tough.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm having trouble with Sky Force mission 5, the one where you get EMP'd and spend the whole level dodging enemy fire. I'm tempted to just grind out a ton of stars and upgrade my health to the point where I can just brute-force it. :sigh:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ Try using the slow-mo to plot out your path? I ran up against it last night and then this morning did it in one go. It's a bit bullshit, I agree. :v:

For Sky Force, upgrade your Main /Wing Cannons and Missiles first. The 'separate' weapons like the laser / shield / bombs are consumables that cost quite a bit in early game. (no i didnt buy the 6000 star pack to get all the guns what are you saying)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nucleicmaxid posted:

It's promising because the positioning and skill linking/combo system is interesting, but the game itself is drawn out as gently caress and you basically want to dump a shitload of points in to vitality since that directly impacts your HP gain each level. Plus some weapon types/characters are simply garbage no matter what you may think or hope for otherwise.

But yeah, don't but the game, even if it's $1 during a Steam sale. It's bad and you should just pray that Tactics Ogre makes its way to iOS.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I was intimidated about VVVVVV, but decided to pick it up for the iPhone. And yes it is extremely tough, but it's also totally fair, and I never really feel discouraged. Even when I fail I always feel like I'm constantly improving, and getting a little better. Plus with so many checkpoints I don't have to retread my tracks over and over again.

I'm almost finished the game (though it took me three hours to do it, haha).

And yes I'm amazed how well the controls in the iPhone work.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

But yeah, don't but the game, even if it's $1 during a Steam sale. It's bad and you should just pray that Tactics Ogre makes its way to iOS.

Don't worry I have been.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

theblackw0lf posted:

I was intimidated about VVVVVV, but decided to pick it up for the iPhone. And yes it is extremely tough, but it's also totally fair, and I never really feel discouraged. Even when I fail I always feel like I'm constantly improving, and getting a little better. Plus with so many checkpoints I don't have to retread my tracks over and over again.

I'm almost finished the game (though it took me three hours to do it, haha).

And yes I'm amazed how well the controls in the iPhone work.

I hated the default swipe controls but the second option (touch the left side to go left, right side to go right, both sides to flip) worked great for me. Beat the game in a little over an hour with minimum control-related frustration; gently caress if I'm gonna even attempt the Veni Vidi Vici trinket though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the topic of VVVVVV, everyone should buy the metal version of the soundtrack because it owns.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Looks like Playdek is doing one of their usual sales. Lords of Waterdeep for a buck is tempting even if I won't get to it for a long time with DQ8 filling all my gaming time.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Looks like Playdek is doing one of their usual sales. Lords of Waterdeep for a buck is tempting even if I won't get to it for a long time with DQ8 filling all my gaming time.

Get it get it get it get it get it seriously it is a great port, runs well on an iPhone 4S, very easy to pick up the rules as well. I thought Agricola was my favorite worker placement game until I tried out Waterdeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Get it get it get it get it get it seriously it is a great port, runs well on an iPhone 4S, very easy to pick up the rules as well. I thought Agricola was my favorite worker placement game until I tried out Waterdeep.

Yeah I'm sold. I'm a sucker for the D&D licence and the video I watched looked fun. Probably won't get to it for a bit, but it looks to be right up my alley.

• Locked thread