Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

neetengie posted:

Why do you hate fun?

Because I am a grumpy curmudgeon who thinks that names like Trix, Freshmaker, Solidarity, Team America, Tin Fins, or Frog in a Blender are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

Because I am a grumpy curmudgeon who thinks that names like Trix, Freshmaker, Solidarity, Team America, Tin Fins, or Frog in a Blender are bad.
Frog in a Blender is good, since it expresses the idea, but isn't Team America the one that isn't UWR? That one baffles me, since 'America control' was around in apocalypse era.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Someone come up with a deck we can legitimately call "Dickbutt".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

They're still better than {random in-joke/nonsensical reference}, though.

Those and {Color}/{Color} {Archetype} are all deck names, though!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Frog in a Blender is good, since it expresses the idea, but isn't Team America the one that isn't UWR? That one baffles me, since 'America control' was around in apocalypse era.

Yeah, Team America is BUG. The name was a European players' joke about playing the best cards the Americans weren't playing in Legacy, or something like that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They've announced more about the Magic film Fox is producing. Specifically, they've announced that the script writer is a producer / writer from Game of Thrones, Bryan Cogman.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Team America was an ironic name for a European made deck that had small, less flashy effects (in comparison to the American decks of the time, which went bigger).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zorak posted:

They've announced more about the Magic film Fox is producing. Specifically, they've announced that the script writer is a producer / writer from Game of Thrones, Bryan Cogman.

Oh, poo poo, it's actually happening? I thought that was just going to be a "hey, let's acquire these rights because why not".

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Murdergoats. Best deck, best name.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My favorite deck name from back in the day was "Thanks for Playing" which from what I remember was built around nothing but bounce and countermagic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Zorak posted:

Bryan Cogman is one of Game of Thrones' best writers, so that's very promising.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Another outside designer card has been spoiled.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...campaign=buffer

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
That's a neat card. Is it the first monoblack creature with Hexproof?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

The closest we've gotten is Horror of the Dim with activated hexproof that costs blue.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

That's some flavorful design there.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Horror of the Dim is black and no other colors, but it gains hexproof as an activated ability that costs blue mana. So, pretty much.

e:f;b

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Kraus posted:

Someone come up with a deck we can legitimately call "Dickbutt".

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Team America was an ironic name for a European made deck that had small, less flashy effects (in comparison to the American decks of the time, which went bigger).

People argue over why the deck was named Team America but the version I have heard most frequently is that it's because it was a deck full of cards American legacy players weren't playing with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
From a quick search on MTG Top 8, Team Italia isn't RWG. And Canadian Threshold isn't RW :v:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Combo named after breakfast are almost twice as old as the Legacy format. Anyone who doesn't like that should learn some history, scrubbos.

Oops! All Spells is clearly a better name than Breakfast Burrito, btw

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Here's something... odd.

Magic 2015 Sample decks

quote:

Did you know that for the past several years, Wizards of the Coast has provided 30-card sample decks to stores and organizations as an easy way for players to learn Magic?

We provide five decks, one for each color, updating them each year with cards from the latest core set. Stores have begun to get these decks featuring cards from Magic 2015 , but with a bit of a twist this year. Each sample deck has several cards numbered 270 and higher that do not appear in Magic 2015 booster packs. These cards are legal for tournament play in any format that includes the Magic 2015 core set.

Those cards are pictured beneath each sample deck.

Previews for Magic 2015 start June 23!

So there's "M15 Legal cards" that aren't being printed in M15.

Serra angel, Inspired Charge, Aegis Angel, Divine Verdict
Mahamoti Djinn, Cancel
Walking Corpse, Sengir Vampire, Nightmare
Seismic Strike, Shivan Dragon, Furnace Whelp
Terra Stomper, Garruk's Packleader, Centaur Courser

e: Chorocojo informs me they've done this before, thanks red

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Cancel's not in M15? What will the common counterspell be, then, I wonder.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Mana Leak. :getin:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Does that mean the stupid magus staff is back? Blech.

I was just about to get hyped that fatmhoti was back. :( And what the hell does this mean?

quote:

These cards are legal for tournament play in any format that includes the Magic 2015 core set.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bugsy posted:

And what the hell does this mean?

The card is a legal M15 card even though it's not being physically printed in M15 boosters.

And yeah, it's worth checking out that arcana I linked to get a sense for some of the other reprints that ARE in M15. Ajani's Pridemate and Midnight Guard for example.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
New Gatherer is from the web design school of "well it looks fancy enough". On my widescreen monitor, only the middle third of the screen is used, and I'm not even sure it's a whole third.

Zorak posted:

e: Chorocojo informs me they've done this before, thanks red

I remember stuff from Zendikar in some of the precons, but making those cards legal in M15 standard even if they aren't in M15 booster packs? I can't remember a card ever being legal in Standard that wasn't in a Standard-legal booster pack. Not that these are tournament-worthy cards these days.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Bugsy posted:

I was just about to get hyped that fatmhoti was back. :( And what the hell does this mean?

They're not in the set proper, but are still legal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RoleModel posted:

They're not in the set proper, but are still legal.

Which makes no sense. None of these cards are really playable outside of Limited, where they can't appear now.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Which makes no sense. None of these cards are really playable outside of Limited, where they can't appear now.

Why doesn't it make sense? They're in new player decks, and they didn't want the new players getting told their cards weren't legal for FNM.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Attorney at Funk posted:

From a Standard viewpoint there's not much point in having Cancel back in immediately after taking out. Especially when Dissolve is a strictly better Cancel.

We'll probably get Negate or Mana Leak instead. Or maybe something new. Kinda doubt that though.

Functional Reprint of Mana Leak to go with an all new Non-Jace Blue Planeswalker? I can only dream. :sigh:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Beaten, but I'm guessing these cards fit some sort of role in the starter decks and it allows Wizards more leeway in designing starter decks without A) taking up core set spots and B) having a situation where new players are told their cards are illegal.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Zorak posted:

And yeah, it's worth checking out that arcana I linked to get a sense for some of the other reprints that ARE in M15. Ajani's Pridemate and Midnight Guard for example.

Eighth and Ninth Edition had additional cards in its starter product that weren't in Eight or Ninth Editions themselves. They're legal for all things the sets are legal in but you just couldn't open them in packs.

It is entirely because of the old "Here you go, learn to play. Good job. Your deck isn't legal for FNM for reasons you didn't know about."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

Combo named after breakfast are almost twice as old as the Legacy format. Anyone who doesn't like that should learn some history, scrubbos.

Oops! All Spells is clearly a better name than Breakfast Burrito, btw

I'm aware, but Trix is a terrible name whether or not there was a trend at the time to name decks after breakfast cereals at the time(there was) and even though there is a rabbit in the art of Illusions of Grandeur.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bugsy posted:

Does that mean the stupid magus staff is back? Blech.

They're legal in any format where M15 is legal.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Could Terra Stomper actually see Standard in Mono G devotion?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Could be in there for super standard at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For Magic Celebration Day last summer my LGS did a side event where you bought in for $1, chose a random M14 sample deck, and played a few rounds of Swiss. It was surprisingly fun, though I wish they'd had enough for everyone to pick two and shuffle them together.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

KidDynamite posted:

Could be in there for super standard at least.
I feel like basically the question is does he warrant a spot over Arbor Colossus?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

They're still better than {random in-joke/nonsensical reference}, though.

I love those when they go so far as to not have the actual card they were named after in the deck. Like Affinity which often has no cards with actual Affinity for artifacts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mango sentinel posted:

I feel like basically the question is does he warrant a spot over Arbor Colossus?

Might be a good meta choice.

Lots of Control Decks? Terra Stomper.

Lots of Mono U or aggro decks? Colossus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You know I'm actually kind of annoyed that Centaur Courser is a thing. I mean,I know it's not really constructed playable anyway, but it's like they went out of their way to say "no you can't play this kickass full-art creature we went to all the trouble of printing".

Yeah sure Nessian Courser is in Theros, but it looks like even then we're going to keep getting the card that only has boring art being the one in core sets.

• Locked thread