Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Did I miss the part of Brat's credentials that actually qualifies him to teach economics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Did I miss the part of Brat's credentials that actually qualifies him to teach economics?

-Owns a bow tie.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

SedanChair posted:

Well he compiled his plebeian reddittor opinions on the free market and Jesus* in unpublished book form: http://www.vox.com/2014/6/10/5798708/brat-academic-research

*Spoilers: He says they're both awesome.

Edit: I think he got his economics PHD from American University looks like.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 12, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
By the way David Brat, the economics teacher, is still forming an opinion on the minimum wage:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dave-brat-minimum-wage-question-eric-cantor-2014-6

quote:

During the interview, Todd asked him whether he thinks there should be a minimum wage.

"Um, I don't have a well-crafted response on that one," Brat said.

"All I know is if you take the long-run graph over 200 years of the wage rate, it cannot differ from your nation's productivity. Right? So you can't make up wage rates. Right? I would love for everyone In sub-Saharan Africa, for example, or children of God to make $100 an hour. Right? I would love to just assert that that would be the case but you can’t assert that unless you raise their productivity and then the wage follows."

Todd followed up by saying it "sounded like" Brat was making the case against a federally mandated minimum wage. Brat ducked his follow-up question.

"Hey, Chuck, I thought we were just going to chat today about the celebratory aspects," Brat said. I'd love to go through all of this but my mind is just — I didn’t get much sleep last night."

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
This is hilarious. The second most powerful man in the Senate has been unseated by... this guy? A lunatic? Republicans need to rein this guy in if they hope to keep a Majority Speaker. Otherwise, the Democrat *should be* beating the pants off of this guy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

quote:

"All I know is if you take the long-run graph over 200 years of the wage rate, it cannot differ from your nation's productivity. Right? So you can't make up wage rates. Right? I would love for everyone In sub-Saharan Africa, for example, or children of God to make $100 an hour. Right? I would love to just assert that that would be the case but you can’t assert that unless you raise their productivity and then the wage follows."

This is literal gibberish. Who are the 'Children of God' anyways in this answer? Infantilized Africans?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Most Retarded Econ Professor I've Ever Heard of And I Feel That Statement Is Qualified Even Considering I Don't Know A Lot About Economics posted:

All I know is if you take the long-run graph over 200 years of the wage rate, it cannot differ from your nation's productivity. Right? So you can't make up wage rates. Right? I would love for everyone In sub-Saharan Africa, for example, or children of God to make $100 an hour. Right? I would love to just assert that that would be the case but you can’t assert that unless you raise their productivity and then the wage follows.

Even more glorious when you consider that its been pretty loving obvious for decades that our wages haven't kept pace with productivity.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Intel&Sebastian posted:

By the way David Brat, the economics teacher, is still forming an opinion on the minimum wage:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dave-brat-minimum-wage-question-eric-cantor-2014-6
Wait, seriously? Another "can't talk now!" excuse? Yeesh Brat, you're only a few days in and haven't even gotten the job yet! Quit blowing through your emergency stock of bullshit answers, or soon you'll be forced to actually give an answer! :aaa:

You can't always need a haircut or be sleep-deprived. Well, I guess you can, but you'll suck at your job. :smugjones:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

David Brat posted:

Better start backpedaling

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Knight posted:

Better start backpedaling

'Clearly we need to unleash the free market,' said the Ayn Rand worshipping libertarian who criticized economists for following utilitarian pet ideas rather than where good economic science facts leads.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Generic American posted:

You can't always need a haircut or be sleep-deprived. Well, I guess you can, but you'll suck at your job. :smugjones:

I'm always waiting for someone to ask a running candidate "Do you think you're going to get more sleep if you're elected?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

David Brat posted:

"All I know is if you take the long-run graph over 200 years of the wage rate, it cannot differ from your nation's productivity. Right?

But is does, David. based on productivity, it's too low. He's almost got it.

Doctor Butts posted:

Even more glorious when you consider that its been pretty loving obvious for decades that our wages haven't kept pace with productivity.

Beaten

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

You know the funny thing is, he's pretty much trotting out the line that orthodox economists do on NPR. Without fail when asked to discuss raising the minimum wage they say something like "well it would be nice to pay everyone $100 an hour." It's never $20 an hour it's always 100.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

Well you see, *throws glitter over you* free market MAGIC.

Also, he keeps making the oft-cited libertarian fallback claim that the only reason we haven't seen the free market work proper yet is because no one's tried a real free market yet.* :downs:

*Feel free to guess as to why that might be.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
TINSTAFM - There Is No Such Thing As A Free Market.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

You know the funny thing is, he's pretty much trotting out the line that orthodox economists do on NPR. Without fail when asked to discuss raising the minimum wage they say something like "well it would be nice to pay everyone $100 an hour." It's never $20 an hour it's always 100.

Look speed limits have become common wisdom in liberal circles. But think about it, it might be nice to prevent a bunch of fatalities with a 2mph speed limit, but it would take forever to drive anywhere, thus we shouldn't have speed limits QED

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

SedanChair posted:

What's even funnier is he makes 'let them eat cake' statements like this and then blasts 'ivory tower elites.'

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

SedanChair posted:

He has an econ PhD. At a small liberal arts school, that's often enough.

And unfortunately, his "credentials" as an economics professor at a small liberal arts college (where high-quality research is far less important than student teaching evaluations), and his econ PhD, are almost certainly going to be used to beat his opponents over the head.

"You can't argue with this guy about taxes, the minimum wage, and government debt. He has a PhD in ECONOMICS!!!" :smug:

The fact that the guy's "published" works are incomprehensible doesn't matter, since he's apparently (according to his RateMyProfessor page) a popular teacher. Although people like this aren't entirely above adding fake comments.

Either way, we'll hear all about how he's a popular econ professor. Constantly.

This guy is a caricature of an intelligent person, but he's exactly what the Tea Party needs to try to give themselves some academic credentials.

Walter fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 13, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

His chief opponent is a democratic professor of economics from the same small liberal arts university. :allears:

This is going to be like a battle of terrible garage bands.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 13, 2014

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Well he's right about the not trying a free market thing, he's just attacking it from the wrong end. Because the last thing the rich and powerful want is a level playing field.

Jesus Christ, I just have an Associate's in Accounting and Macro/Microeconomics, and I know the score better than this schlub. :smith:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spacedad posted:

His chief opponent is a democratic professor of economics from the same small liberal arts university. :allears:

I thought he was a professor of sociology or something?

I know that he wrote a vampire novel and LARPs or whatever.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Spacedad posted:

The first thing I thought when I read about that was "This is the plot to an Adam Sandler movie"

And the first thing I thought when I heard about Iraq going tits up again was "This is the plot to an action movie starring a lone wolf Bowe Bergdahl on a mission to regain his honor in the eyes of #tcot"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

I should like Paul Krugman to live blog their debates.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I thought he was a professor of sociology or something?

I know that he wrote a vampire novel and LARPs or whatever.

Well I don't know - all I recall is they said he was at the same university, so I presumed same profession. I'm roleplaying a soup noodle right now so I literally have no INT score.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

Look speed limits have become common wisdom in liberal circles. But think about it, it might be nice to prevent a bunch of fatalities with a 2mph speed limit, but it would take forever to drive anywhere, thus we shouldn't have speed limits QED

Most speed limits are factually set too low for appropriate conditions and thus do not act to increase safety; often instead enabling corrupt local police to unfairly profit.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Send it out over the Fox News wires! Brat supports massive 100 dollar an hour wage increases in order to meet productivity.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most speed limits are factually set too low for appropriate conditions and thus do not act to increase safety; often instead enabling corrupt local police to unfairly profit.

Or allow them to selectively persecute people they don't like. Be it ethnic minorities or even just dudes with long hair. The latter of those will happen if you drive through parts of the south with a surfer do.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Even if that's true, it doesn't mean there is no speed limit that is safer than nothing.

It doesn't matter, use any example you prefer. Because "oh this extreme situation is unworkable therefore we should never do anything" is dumb, full stop.

"It'd be nice to give every old person $2million a year but that has problems so obviously Social Security doesn't work, let's junk it"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

Even if that's true, it doesn't mean there is no speed limit that is safer than nothing.

The thing is that speed limits are an actual case where lowering them at random would manifestly result in harm, while raising wages wouldn't. So you're stupid to try to use them in a "look at how crazy this argument is" thing. Also, the idea that lowering speed limits makes things safer is a widely popular and thus dangerous idea

And in point of fact, setting the speed limit on some random street to 120 or whatever isn't going to result in people suddenly gunning up to it either; the idea of speed limits as a general tool of safety is basically just wrong.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Spacedad posted:

Sociology.

Which you could have verified with a single Google search.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Walter posted:

Sociology.

Of course the Democrat teaches a useless field unlike economics :smug:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Walter posted:

Sociology.

Like a good democrat, I didn't care enough about my own party's candidate to even google him. :smith:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tatum Girlparts posted:

-Owns a bow tie.

:golfclap:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Spacedad posted:

Like a good democrat, I didn't care enough about my own party's candidate to even google him. :smith:

The only check that matters to me for the candidates I support is the sweet Soros check I get every month with "For straight ticket Dem/Union/Sodomizers ballot" in the Note field.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So Obama's approval is now on par with GWB's. This is gonna be messy.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I read Whittle's post a couple times and it's mostly blowing wind. It ranges from irrelevant to pointless. For example: He implies FEST is Rainbow Six when in reality it turns out to be a logistics and crisis planning group. The damning list of thinning security leaves out the part where the ambassador refused military support. And the entire list of factoids about the PR timeline is meaningless:

"On the 18th, Carney again blamed the video for the violence. On the 19th he repeated the claim that there was no evidence the attack had been pre-planned. "
Whittle doesn't say there was in fact evidence that the attack had been pre planned; he just treats it as self evidently fraudulent. It's impossible to counter an argument when he won't even make it.

The whole thing is pointless.
Can you elaborate on this part:

quote:

On the 9th of July, Newly appointed Ambassador Christopher Stevens requests an additional 13 security personnel, citing the increasingly dangerous situation on the ground. On August 2nd he sends an urgent cable to Secretary of State Hilary Clinton, requesting a ‘protective detail bodyguard;’ three days later the State Department orders the removal of Ambassador Stevens existing SST – his security team – and by the 8th of August his SST has left Libya.
?

Spacedad posted:

Also, here's a smug piece of poo poo who wants to be able to legally murder me: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/11/ok-gop-candidate-let-cities-decide-whether-gays-should-be-stoned-to-death/

Don't worry, Scott - your ill-informed incoherent horseshit about libertarianism and religion peppered with vomit-inducing self-praise makes me want to kill myself anyway.
I absolutely love how this comes literally seven posts after a quote from Rush Limbaugh saying tea partiers are "called racist, sexist, bigot, homophobes. They're the furthest thing in the world from any of that."

And some other stuff about how regulations will impoverish and kill people but if we took all those away and let the teabaggers exploit people and pollute endlessly everything would be totally fine.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Walter posted:

This guy is a caricature of an intelligent person, but he's exactly what the Tea Party needs to try to give themselves some academic credentials.

Which is especially surreal because they have been anti-intellectual for years - a college degree suddenly has value when it provides an argument from authority.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hazo posted:

So Obama's approval is now on par with GWB's. This is gonna be messy.

Just wait until he reignites the Iraq war

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I just want to take a moment to rant that while polling is useful, any headline about polling is total poo poo, particularly when the site doesn't give any kind of context. Say you have three polling groups, one week Group A has the president at 50%, Group B at 55%, and Group C at 45%. The next week Group B has the President at 54% and the headlines are "PRESIDENT'S APPROVAL AT ALL TIME LOW" because it's the lowest recorded by Group B, before anyone notices that this is pretty much meaningless, particularly when the other two are already lower, and during that time they may have stayed the same or possibly even improved. Then the next week they play the same game when Group B is back up to 55% and Group A drops to 49%.

I'm not trying to "unskew" any polls here, but at least Gallup and even Fox News have a consistent tracking history that you can get a sense of why this isn't a good parallel. Obama is polling even with Bush at the same point of his presidency, but Bush had dropped lower than Obama several times before this point, mostly because (as much as people furiously hate Obama), Bush's disapproval rating would spike higher than Obama's even when his approval rating was about the same. Maybe Obama can get himself impeached and avoid ending his term in the low 30s like his predecessor.

End rant, at least we can all have a laugh at how right wing radio is going to try to float this without admitting that Bush was ever President.

Knight fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 13, 2014

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Also, I'm pretty sure approval rating and favorability rating are two distinct poll questions and the two are being conflated here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/fischer-obama-happy-return-taliban-fighters-battle-field-because-they-share-same-objective
ok, does ficher actually believe the poo poo he says. what i am saying, i know he does, i mean he said the native Americans deserved to be killed because they were pagans.