Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else had a bug in 3DS Max where if a mesh has vertex colour, if you select the whole thing (in say face mode) it colours the whole thing black (all the colours used on the mesh mushed together)? It's really screwing up my workflow. I have some lighting done with vertex paint and if I select it to do stuff with the mesh it just colours everything black.

Edit: and its not undo-able.

Edit 2: appears to be with the graphite tools. If they are completely hidden it doesn't seem to break it.

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:
Those tree renders look amazing!

Does anyone know of a better physics engine/plugin for C4D than mograph? Working on some projects that need me to calculate 15,000+ spheres in piles, collapsing (and usually without being able to use render instances), and man does it go slow. If anyone knows of something that isn't prohibitively expensive I might be able to get the client to shell out for it, which would save me so many headaches. I'm not sure if something like realflow is capable of this? The spheres need to be specific real world sizes, and it's very important that they never intersect with each other.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OtherCubed posted:

Those tree renders look amazing!

Does anyone know of a better physics engine/plugin for C4D than mograph? Working on some projects that need me to calculate 15,000+ spheres in piles, collapsing (and usually without being able to use render instances), and man does it go slow. If anyone knows of something that isn't prohibitively expensive I might be able to get the client to shell out for it, which would save me so many headaches. I'm not sure if something like realflow is capable of this? The spheres need to be specific real world sizes, and it's very important that they never intersect with each other.
Is the version of Thinking Particles included with c4d too limited for this? I know TP in 3ds Max is pretty much an unlimited creativity playground but the c4d version was apparently smashed in haphazardly because their own particles sucked. Maybe give it a look?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

X-Particles seems to be the hot poo poo for C4D sims these days. It's nearly $400 for a license, but there is a demo available.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I know it was a few pages back now, but regarding the discussion of anime into 3D... Yes, it really is hard. I'd also second doing a character other than Goku. There's lots of recognizable characters from Japanese cartoons that would do you well, I bet. Also, non-anime stuff would probably go far as well!
I did this character for university, a few months ago. It's from an old fantasy anime from 1995 called Escaflowne.

I don't draw anime styled stuff very often, and modelling it even less so. It was harder... And weirder!

Recently I've embarked on doing a chimp. I'm starting by doing the skull. It's still early on, but I'm having fun.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What training material would be recommended to learn modo? I'm a bit in uncharted territory.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Are there any careers for a 3D games artist that aren't in games? I know there's Arch Vis etc, but that's quite a big re-tooling and would take a long time to learn properly. I'm just sort of musing really, but have any of you guys successfully gone from games in to another industry?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Games can either be lowpoly or highpoly. Lowpoly is focus on minimal models and low textures, not really shared with any other branches, although style seeps into lowpoly a lot and style is best used with.. probably film, depending on the type of film you want to go into (something like dreamworks/pixar would be best here).

Highpoly is either focus on very smooth surfaces like Mario (which, dreamworks/pixar would be best here once again), or realism. In the case of realism you're most likely going to be using the same tools and workflow film does but with a lower budget of polygons (but usually the highpoly sculpt that you reduce down is similar to film). If you're working with realism on non-characters (maybe if you were in charge of making skyrim, for example), then Arch Vis could be your thing.

If you're working with animations then once again it depends if they're realistic or cartoonish. Animating isn't really any different from games to films other than a lot more to work with, so it shouldn't be that bad to transition.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's also usage for 3d games artists in non-video games fields. Gambling games, medical imaging, illustration, etc.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'd quite like to do the last two. I wonder where I'd even start! Thanks guys

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Dear 3DCG Thread,

I come to you in a time of need. I went to university for three years and learned some Maya along with other stuff not relating to game art. I left university and found studios generally use 3DS Max. Great, my degree and skills are useless and pointless.

It varies a lot. I've found the opposite. Everywhere I look people are using Maya. Visited a videogame studio a while back here in Sweden and they told me to flat out not use 3ds Max. I swapped to Maya a while earlier but transitioning form one program to the other isn't that bad. The workflow changes but your knowledge doesn't go anywhere.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

concerned mom posted:

I know there's Arch Vis etc, but that's quite a big re-tooling and would take a long time to learn properly.

In what sense? arch viz at the higher end is very different to how it used to be.

it really annoys me that nobody in 3d wants to work in arch viz apart from ex architects, and we need to hire ex-vfx people to make films because that's the way all the work is going (but they'd rather work a 9-5 office job than go to arch viz)
the days of needed to know architecture to fill in someones rough sketch are long gone - buildings are provided, recently i've just been making super high detail assets, tracking cameras and running fluid simulations.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

In what sense? arch viz at the higher end is very different to how it used to be.

it really annoys me that nobody in 3d wants to work in arch viz apart from ex architects, and we need to hire ex-vfx people to make films because that's the way all the work is going (but they'd rather work a 9-5 office job than go to arch viz)
the days of needed to know architecture to fill in someones rough sketch are long gone - buildings are provided, recently i've just been making super high detail assets, tracking cameras and running fluid simulations.

I think I'd like to do stuff like that, its very interesting. Don't you think it would take a long time to learn though? Really the only maps I use right now are diffuse, specular and normal and although I've written a few shaders they're all gameplay related and I've not touched camera tracking or simulations etc. I don't necessarily want to get out of games, but sometimes I feel like I'm locked in because to learn a new skillset I'd either have to take a massive pay-cut or work solidly at home for ages.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

concerned mom posted:

I think I'd like to do stuff like that, its very interesting. Don't you think it would take a long time to learn though? Really the only maps I use right now are diffuse, specular and normal and although I've written a few shaders they're all gameplay related and I've not touched camera tracking or simulations etc. I don't necessarily want to get out of games, but sometimes I feel like I'm locked in because to learn a new skillset I'd either have to take a massive pay-cut or work solidly at home for ages.

If you stay in games you're going to have to learn a new skillset at some point anyway, the industry moves and evolves incredibly fast. Especially with most of the industry moving to a BRDF lighting model and physically accurate materials. Your diffuse values will change a lot, your normal will stay the same, and your specular will change quite a bit / go away entirely depending on how your tools require your maps to be authored, you may also need to start saving off ao maps instead of baking them in to the diffuse. You'll probably also be factoring your maps at double the resolution you're used to.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah shading for games is becoming more like shading for film, which is cool. I don't think I could do an entire career in films, the way the industry works annoys me

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Testing out Marvelous Designer for my bedroom scene (forgive the noisy render, interior shots in Maxwell take a while to get really clean):

So much easier and faster than fiddling with an nCloth sim all day to get something that only kind of looks like what you wanted. I'm going to remake those badly sculpted pillows and also a proper blanket in MD as well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Even the days of the high-res to low-res baking process are numbered. Modern engines support tesselation and render-time smoothing. Before long, making assets for games and making assets for film will be the same.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Making assets for illustration is still hilarious though. Please god dont turn my models around.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I'm finally capable of making things that aren't six side boxes.

It's a stun shotgun that I thought up. Its's supposed to shoot in a way similar to the Stun Shotgun in Minority report. Or well, that's how I imagine it in my head.
Based on the Utas Uts-15.

The sides are still too flat and could use a little something but I am still very happy with it. Especially considering that I couldn't do poo poo before. Some feedback would be nice. Been learning really fast with Digital Tutors quick start series.

Modeling is fun! :buddy:

Edit:

Added a battery slot where you can store up to six battery cells for maximum civilian oppression.

http://pahlavan.se/dump/2014-06-08_15-39-55.mp4

Not sure how to embed mp4 files so the link will have to do.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
You are always learning new software. You just don't learn max and that's it, etc.

Every job you are learning new software or new plugins or a proprietary version of a commercial package that is changed so much from stock maya or whatever it might as well be a different package.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 9, 2014

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

holy moly I've been on these forums for 10 years!
anyway here's a new illustration based on David Graeber's Of Flying Cars and the Declining Rate of Profit

"The increasing interpenetration of government, university, and private firms has led everyone to adopt the language, sensibilities, and organizational forms that originated in the corporate world. Although this might have helped in creating marketable products, since that is what corporate bureaucracies are designed to do, in terms of fostering original research, the results have been catastrophic."

Sciencius versus Bureaucrator

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I'd print that out and hang it up at work but predictably and hilariously it'd be taken down by a line manager who doesn't, 'Get it'... right after a painful power point presentation to explain we really, really want creativity to flourish... just as long as it doesn't cost us money.

Anyway, guitar build isn't over. I finally completed the bridge, which to my surprise was far, far more difficult that I expected. Much smoother geometry this time and I'm starting to get the hang of Sketchup's peculiar tendencies. Since I got the geometry much smoother with very few, if any breaks on the bridge I've decided to revisit the guitar body and try to build it again without the crazy hidden geometry and poorly stitched together faces.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Maya Conform Normals. Cannot get it to work!

I have a STEP file I imported via nPower Translator. Came in fine... exported to OBJ fine... but it's about 500k faces and there's quite a few that have reversed normals. Selecting the faces and conforming the normals does not work at all. I can select individual faces and reverse them, but it's a complicated object with many crevices. Is there some external script that works better than the conform normals script?

edit: Ah, it only conforms within the same shell and not over the geometry as a whole. Just managed to quick reverse each shell and continued on my day. There should be a "conform over all geometry" option.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 9, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:siren:Quixel Suite is in OPEN BETA:siren:

Holy god why is the download 1.5 gigs?! :stonk:

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

BonoMan posted:

edit: Ah, it only conforms within the same shell and not over the geometry as a whole. Just managed to quick reverse each shell and continued on my day. There should be a "conform over all geometry" option.

That should be super easy to wrangle, Try something like

code:
import maya.cmds as cmds
for item in cmds.ls(typ="mesh"):
    cmds.polyNormal (item, normalMode= 2)
in a python prompt. That should conform, and normal mode 0 reverses.
It's super worth getting some basic python down for dumb housecleaning tasks like this, maya is full of annoying situations like that.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SynthOrange posted:

it comes with textures - megascans. they look incredible.

e: maybe it doesnt, huh. it's says they're accessed online with a separate browser.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 10, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also the downloads are all choking to death.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to have my first ever 3D job interview on Friday for an Architectural visualization company in Toronto and I want to know what kind of questions I should expect and what I should be asking them. They already saw my portfolio and asked some questions over the phone, specifically about how I made some of my stuff and how long it took. I had no idea how to answer the questions about how long to took to make my stuff because in most cases I was a newbie and was obviously going to be slower than someone experienced and didn't even time myself, so I mostly gave half-truths.

Also here's my portfolio: ervinkink.com
I also dropped out of school and have no degree, but I already told them that.

e: also, is it weird to show material trees in your portfolio, I threw them in there recently because the guy also asked about the materials

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, that's only for PS right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ervin K posted:

I had no idea how to answer the questions about how long to took to make my stuff because in most cases I was a newbie and was obviously going to be slower than someone experienced and didn't even time myself, so I mostly gave half-truths.

Nothing wrong with being a newbie so dont apologize for that, and especially dont make stuff up.

The Royal Scrub posted:

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, that's only for PS right?

As far as I know.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, they're pretty much PS plugins, using Photoshop for the actual image editing and the like.

But considering you can get the newest Photoshop for like 10 USD a month nowadays, that ain't too bad.

snowberker
Dec 30, 2012

Odddzy posted:

What training material would be recommended to learn modo? I'm a bit in uncharted territory.

Digital Tutors. Not just Modo but everything. It's got a huge library to fill your brain with all sorts of knowledge.

Citadel
Jun 9, 2010

Ervin K posted:

I'm going to have my first ever 3D job interview on Friday for an Architectural visualization company in Toronto and I want to know what kind of questions I should expect and what I should be asking them. They already saw my portfolio and asked some questions over the phone, specifically about how I made some of my stuff and how long it took. I had no idea how to answer the questions about how long to took to make my stuff because in most cases I was a newbie and was obviously going to be slower than someone experienced and didn't even time myself, so I mostly gave half-truths.

Also here's my portfolio: ervinkink.com
I also dropped out of school and have no degree, but I already told them that.

e: also, is it weird to show material trees in your portfolio, I threw them in there recently because the guy also asked about the materials

Nothing wrong with material trees and breakdowns, most people who do 3d find them more interesting and descriptive than the final piece.

Is the position an internship? Judging by your site, I'd go in there with confidence. You have good skills displayed on a clean layout without any fluff. The creative director or head of 3d may ask about some 3d techniques eg:
-Did you use Vray
-What is your approach for the skydome (or something else)
-Did you work from architectural drawing (ie import .dwg into max and build from there)
-other software used
-how long? (use a piece of your work and estimate how long it would take you to do again given the time - 1 day?, 3 days? etc)
- possible curve ball: any artist that inspire you? ( 3d artist or otherwise, look up 2 or 3 artists) - (mine might be jeff gabor, jeremie passerin and loving Hieronymus Bosch)

The manager in the room will ask about :
-your flexibility with time (are you afraid to stay late on a project?)
answer: I just love working in 3d and my passion shines though my commitment. I enjoy figuring out how to best achieve a project and will see it through till the end. I enjoy researching and developing new techniques and blah blah (or something like that).
-have you collaborated on projects before with other people (doesn't matter if you haven't - "haven't had the opportunity but looking forward to it!").
-any aspects that you are interested to improve on?

With regard improvement, your 3d is at a solid level and will only improve. Id think about working on some composting in Photoshop or AE and research composition within an image.

Dont wear a suit, wear smart casual. You certainly dont need a degree, your reel will speak for itself.

Good luck!

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I made a 3D model of a 2D creature design I made earlier this year. I feel like I'm starting to understand things, but I want some guidance still.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What sort of feedback were you looking for? Overall seems fine for a beginner-intermediate effort. I'd pay more attention to the flow of your forms, i.e. the horns have a nice curve from one view, but on the other they're pretty wonky.

Also poked at quixel suite a bit more. This is pretty much out of the box, once I got it to take normal maps in.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Seeing leaked emails from Prime Focus London that they were planning on winding down operations, due to the Canadian subsidies running rampant and the big 6 studios in LA demanding vendors guarante the cash rebates on bids, it's going to get ugly quick. I'm guessing that means more Londoners moving to Canada.

Quebec just cut slashed their subsidy rates by 20% and a few studios are giving pause about opening up a Montreal office to claim the formerly 60% labor and 20% all other expenses rebate.

I guess the Canadian tax payer is slowing catching on that all of these film jobs being created isn't worth it if they have to pay $60K of a dudes $100K salary.

VFX is so hosed up now. :v: what a whack business model especially when governments get involved.

Thinking of probably bailing out of the industry once I wrap up my ILM contract, go do something else that is CG but not have the "free government money" shuffle every few months.

Maybe do an animated kids short, pitch it at a few networks and move to production side of things.

Then get it animated in Canada and get 60% of the labor cost footed by the government there :haw:

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Big K of Justice posted:

Seeing leaked emails from Prime Focus London that they were planning on winding down operations, due to the Canadian subsidies running rampant and the big 6 studios in LA demanding vendors guarante the cash rebates on bids, it's going to get ugly quick. I'm guessing that means more Londoners moving to Canada.

Quebec just cut slashed their subsidy rates by 20% and a few studios are giving pause about opening up a Montreal office to claim the formerly 60% labor and 20% all other expenses rebate.

I guess the Canadian tax payer is slowing catching on that all of these film jobs being created isn't worth it if they have to pay $60K of a dudes $100K salary.

VFX is so hosed up now. :v: what a whack business model especially when governments get involved.

Thinking of probably bailing out of the industry once I wrap up my ILM contract, go do something else that is CG but not have the "free government money" shuffle every few months.

Maybe do an animated kids short, pitch it at a few networks and move to production side of things.

Then get it animated in Canada and get 60% of the labor cost footed by the government there :haw:

Not to mention Technicolor just announced their purchase of Mr. X, in Toronto.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Managed to clean up the guitar body with smoother, less batshit crazy geometry in Sketchup.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Big K of Justice posted:

I'm hanging out in the ILM models and texturing department all of this week.

It is nice. I like the commons.

Doughnuts were nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Travakian posted:

Not to mention Technicolor just announced their purchase of Mr. X, in Toronto.

Yeah, they buy out firms from time to time.. Deluxe did the same with Method. Technicolor picked up a old studio in Toronto called Toybox which was mostly a post house but did some cgi here and there.

Method is hilarious because its the only VFX studio in LA if not California that drug checks all employees and does a full blown criminal background check. The drug check thing is significant since I've seen enough heavy drugs and full functioning alcoholics at the various places over the years, enough that it would probably eliminate at least half the talent from working there.. :v:

I got absolutely nothing to complain about, every place I worked at had decent HR, decent benefits and paid overtime on largely decent projects. But I don't like seeing my peers here and abroad getting dicked over, be it the subsidy shuffle to unpaid overtime, to long hours due to bad planning, etc.

One more show to go then I'm taking a few months off to recuperate... need to get back in shape, all the overtime meals went right to my gut.

forelle posted:

I'm hanging out in the ILM models and texturing department all of this week.

It is nice. I like the commons.

Doughnuts were nice too.

ILM is pretty nice, and its one of those places where if you bounce around the industry enough on high profile projects, you'll eventually wind up at ILM at one point or another... walking in there and seeing people from pretty much every company I've ever worked at is great. Got no complaints at all about ILM... they got one of the nicest campuses... its up there with Pixars facility and Dreamworks Animation.

I think my favorite bit is all the historical stuff and equipment scattered all over the place, not to mention all the US patents on software stuff.. ranging from rendering to.. well photoshop :)

Speaking of facilities, Google moved into DD's old digs on Venice Beach, they even got the city to put crosswalks and lights there.. something DD tried for years and the city wouldn't do for them.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 13, 2014