Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

KoRMaK posted:

That's like a Doctor with the flu going to another doctor and being prescribed antibiotics for their flu, and then the flu-doctor thanks the prescription doctor and takes the antibiotics thinking it will help their flu. :psyduck:

Never assume that a developer knows any more about how a computer works than any other random office drone just because they write software for a living, or you're likely to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dennyk posted:

Never assume that a developer knows any more about how a computer works than any other random office drone just because they write software for a living, or you're likely to be disappointed.

poo poo, from working in IT for this many years and reading this forum, I don't think most developers know any more about how coding works than any other random office drone.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

poo poo, from working in IT for this many years and reading this forum, I don't think most developers know any more about how coding works than any other random office drone.

poo poo, in my experience a lot of IT people don't even know how computers work.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Cavepimp posted:

poo poo, in my experience a lot of IT people don't even know how computers work.

And they'll get paid more than I ever will.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
In the future everyone will know IT and Telecom, but I will be the only one knowing computers and phones.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Inspector_666 posted:

We have a development contractor for whom I have fixed code. I am a garbage programmer and somehow I was still able to catch the problem and he wasn't.

This is the same guy who got mad at me for telling him that the USB A/B cable of mine he helped himself to from my office wasn't going to work with his kid's DS.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

guppy posted:

We have a development contractor for whom I have fixed code. I am a garbage programmer and somehow I was still able to catch the problem and he wasn't.

This is the same guy who got mad at me for telling him that the USB A/B cable of mine he helped himself to from my office wasn't going to work with his kid's DS.

Some people are just wrong with everything.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dennyk posted:

Yeah, I mean with how far above the metal the most popular languages are these days, you really don't have to know all that much about the guts. It's going to help you make good decisions and optimize better when it's time, but for the majority of, say, Windows application development, you don't need that knowledge.

I'll be the first to tell you to not let me anywhere near AD or GPO or anything else having to do with system or network administration. I still probably need local admin, depending on what I'm working on, but I promise to be good!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

I still probably need local admin, depending on what I'm working on, but I promise to be good!

My most prized possesion is my membership in the second most sacred of AD groups, 'Computer Administrators All'.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Caconym posted:

My most prized possesion is my membership in the second most sacred of AD groups, 'Computer Administrators All'.

This is something that always puzzles me when looking at a new environment we're taking over support for: developers in domain wide admin groups. Why the hell would a developer need admin rights on a PC other than his own and a bunch of development and testing VMs?

Yet, I even saw this at a company with 15000 employees, where each of the 50ish developers had admin rights on every single workstation in the company.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

peak debt posted:

This is something that always puzzles me when looking at a new environment we're taking over support for: developers in domain wide admin groups. Why the hell would a developer need admin rights on a PC other than his own and a bunch of development and testing VMs?

Yet, I even saw this at a company with 15000 employees, where each of the 50ish developers had admin rights on every single workstation in the company.

Typical answer will be that they have to support what they have deleoped because that is all too common. For my part I'm not a dev but an application administrator for a small suite of critical apps that live on a few hundred clients. Those clients however, are spread across multiple sites and 'types', and we don't have any OUs or groups that cover them all. So it was obviously easier for the domain admins to give us local admin on 50.000 computers rather than doing anything about that, and we don't care because it lets us do our jobs with a minimum of hassle.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Caconym posted:

Typical answer will be that they have to support what they have deleoped because that is all too common. For my part I'm not a dev but an application administrator for a small suite of critical apps that live on a few hundred clients. Those clients however, are spread across multiple sites and 'types', and we don't have any OUs or groups that cover them all. So it was obviously easier for the domain admins to give us local admin on 50.000 computers rather than doing anything about that, and we don't care because it lets us do our jobs with a minimum of hassle.

As a developer I really, really shouldn't need admin access to someone else's machine. There are tools that allow us to deploy software without those permissions (OneClick, as an example), and ideally the techs should be able to handle the tech support and only kick up problems to me when it's a bugfix situation. At which point, I fix the bug and then re-deploy through the aforementioned tools.

Obviously "should" doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really wish you could assign Admin permissions on a Per Program basis. It's an all or nothing type deal with Windows currently.

I know you can "Set to run as administrator" but if the user isn't apart of the admin group it asks for a password everytime it's run. How about let me, the domain admin, give them admin on that program by entering my password once to authenticate the change, then let it run.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Discovered this thanks to UPS Worldship; You can assign certain programs to run "as admin" without the user being granted those rights. Trigger warning: technet.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

m.hache posted:

I really wish you could assign Admin permissions on a Per Program basis. It's an all or nothing type deal with Windows currently.

I know you can "Set to run as administrator" but if the user isn't apart of the admin group it asks for a password everytime it's run. How about let me, the domain admin, give them admin on that program by entering my password once to authenticate the change, then let it run.

FYI many of the problems that force you to grant regular users admin right can also be solved by assigning regular users write rights on certain folders (usually the c:\program files folder of the application itself) or files.
You can use Process Monitor to find out where an application stumbles then assign write rights to that object and try again. You can even do permissions through GPPs nowadays.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

peak debt posted:

FYI many of the problems that force you to grant regular users admin right can also be solved by assigning regular users write rights on certain folders (usually the c:\program files folder of the application itself) or files.
You can use Process Monitor to find out where an application stumbles then assign write rights to that object and try again. You can even do permissions through GPPs nowadays.
Also, registry keys.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

peak debt posted:

While this is true it can become a massive pain when you have one program referencing another program (So our courier software opens up MapPoint to plot distance), but only sometimes. Other times it has price plans to pull from. And then the accounting side of that same program relays emails to our server for delivery.

Not saying it's not do-able but I've more or less been told by the developers that all users need local admin rights because they can't support MapPoint integration even though they loving made it mandatory.

They were going to charge us to make it Windows 7 Compatible which just blows my mind. They have a new version in development but given their track record on programming anything in general without a huge amount of showstopping bugs I doubt I'll jump on it upon release.

EDIT: The hardest part is I can't even find out where the program stumbles. Like 95% of the time it'll load up fine in standard user mode but the other 5% it throws up licensing errors for MapPoint and crashes the entire thing. So I would have to run ProcMon for 2 days straight to even catch the problem. We cannot replicate it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

m.hache posted:

While this is true it can become a massive pain when you have one program referencing another program (So our courier software opens up MapPoint to plot distance), but only sometimes. Other times it has price plans to pull from. And then the accounting side of that same program relays emails to our server for delivery.

Not saying it's not do-able but I've more or less been told by the developers that all users need local admin rights because they can't support MapPoint integration even though they loving made it mandatory.

They were going to charge us to make it Windows 7 Compatible which just blows my mind. They have a new version in development but given their track record on programming anything in general without a huge amount of showstopping bugs I doubt I'll jump on it upon release.

EDIT: The hardest part is I can't even find out where the program stumbles. Like 95% of the time it'll load up fine in standard user mode but the other 5% it throws up licensing errors for MapPoint and crashes the entire thing. So I would have to run ProcMon for 2 days straight to even catch the problem. We cannot replicate it.

Does Mappoint work fine? We have an ongoing issue with the one click installation. One it breaks, the only way to fix it is by recreating the profile.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

Does Mappoint work fine? We have an ongoing issue with the one click installation. One it breaks, the only way to fix it is by recreating the profile.

It does. MapPoint on it's own never fails. It's just when the other program calls on it. Randomly.

The companies response is to turn of UAC and give all users Admin rights.

I asked them if they are going to refund us for lost time when my network get's loving overrun with an infection. They haven't responded.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

It does. MapPoint on it's own never fails. It's just when the other program calls on it. Randomly.

The companies response is to turn of UAC and give all users Admin rights.

I asked them if they are going to refund us for lost time when my network get's loving overrun with an infection. They haven't responded.

The last company I worked with, which made a business application for an industry I'm glad to be out of, more or less required that all users be admins with UAC disabled. I loved telling sysadmins that, let me tell you.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The last company I worked with, which made a business application for an industry I'm glad to be out of, more or less required that all users be admins with UAC disabled. I loved telling sysadmins that, let me tell you.

It's like selling a condo to someone but telling them they can't use locks on their doors because occasionally someone will have to go in to check a meter.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

It's like selling a condo to someone but telling them they can't use locks on their doors because occasionally someone will have to go in to check a meter.

After reading your posts a little more closely, I'm kind of wondering if we might be talking about the same company. Does its name start with R?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

After reading your posts a little more closely, I'm kind of wondering if we might be talking about the same company. Does its name start with R?

No. Courier Software. The company/software starts with a C.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

A car came in....

Our local ball breaking high school gym teacher decided this morning to park in our Network Admin's parking spot. Network Admin decided to forward our spam filter's traffic directly into said teacher's inbox. This teacher also is OCD about mail notifications, and has been furiously battling with the traffic all morning. He finally realized something was up and called us. I don't think he'll park there again.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nerdrock posted:

A car came in....

Our local ball breaking high school gym teacher decided this morning to park in our Network Admin's parking spot. Network Admin decided to forward our spam filter's traffic directly into said teacher's inbox. This teacher also is OCD about mail notifications, and has been furiously battling with the traffic all morning. He finally realized something was up and called us. I don't think he'll park there again.

That.... is awesome. I always joke about cutting peoples internet access when they give me a hard time. Maybe I'll just do that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

A car came in....

Isn't this the equivalent of the SATA plug futzing pulled on a co-worker a while back except only worse because you're literally introducing huge amounts of security risk?

There's wallpaper changing and then there's malice aforethought. This seems like the latter.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MJP posted:

Isn't this the equivalent of the SATA plug futzing pulled on a co-worker a while back except only worse because you're literally introducing huge amounts of security risk?

While it is a bit further to go than is acceptable and professional...It's nowhere near completely rendering a workstation useless. Plus : he's a gym teacher. He can literally do all technical job related things from his iPad (take attendance, etc.)

yes. we give gym teachers laptops AND iPads for some reason. your tax dollars hard at work.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jesus I hate sales. They must've gotten together to decide to bitch en masse about us locking down iPads and demanding Netflix be allowed because they travel so much. I honestly wouldn't mind but they all include company paid data lines in them. I could just see the horrific bill coming in now. Told them no way, everyone has a personal laptop these days watch Netflix on that. Just shut the hell up about it already.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Jesus I hate sales. They must've gotten together to decide to bitch en masse about us locking down iPads and demanding Netflix be allowed because they travel so much. I honestly wouldn't mind but they all include company paid data lines in them. I could just see the horrific bill coming in now. Told them no way, everyone has a personal laptop these days watch Netflix on that. Just shut the hell up about it already.

Use the TV in the hotel room. Or buy your own tablet. It's company property.

Why is this so hard for people to understand.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Did a goon pull out someone's SATA connection or something? That's the third time I've heard that referenced.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Did a goon pull out someone's SATA connection or something? That's the third time I've heard that referenced.

Basically around April Fools day, someone was exemplifying a good idea for a prank and how he played it on a helpdesk level coworker because fuckem. It didn't go over here so well

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Some goon replaced a coworker's SATA cables with not-working ones so that he'd waste the entire day trying to diagnose the problem because of some entirely minor slight said coworker had committed earlier.

The thread rightfully shat on the goon.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

m.hache posted:

Use the TV in the hotel room. Or buy your own tablet. It's company property.

Why is this so hard for people to understand.

You don't get to be a high powered salesman by understanding the concept of 'no'. :v:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
See if you can find a way to only let through Netflix Kids.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Or just give them access to Canadian netflix.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Netflix GPO - if title includes "my little pony" then allow; all other titles deny

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"Thank you for your inquiry about installing Netflix on our iPads. Unfortunately the bandwidth costs are prohibitively expensive and prevent us from doing so, however we understand your need for entertainment while travelling on business-related trips. To that end episodes 1 through 4 of the sitcom Perfect Strangers have been downloaded to all company iPads, we home you will enjoy them.

We plan to deploy the next four episodes at the beginning of the next fiscal year, thank you for your patience."

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I'm sure the data plan has a cap. At my company if I go over the 2gb limit, the iPad prompts you to buy another 1gb of bandwidth for $10 which is taken out of my check.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just roll out episodes of 2½ Men on every company ipad as punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Knormal posted:

"Thank you for your inquiry about installing Netflix on our iPads. Unfortunately the bandwidth costs are prohibitively expensive and prevent us from doing so, however we understand your need for entertainment while travelling on business-related trips. To that end episodes 1 through 4 of the sitcom Perfect Strangers have been downloaded to all company iPads, we home you will enjoy them.

We plan to deploy the next four episodes at the beginning of the next fiscal year, thank you for your patience."

Don't be ridiculous. Or reedeekooluss, depending.

• Locked thread