Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

jeeves posted:

Actually her Dell Venue 8 tablet is 8.1, so I assumed the Lumia 820 which I had do a full manual system update once I got it was 8.1 as well now. But it looks like it is still on whatever is the most recent revision of 8.0, as 8.1 is still slowly being rolled out for phones?

And yeah, I am hoping it is just a bad/old battery from being a used phone off of ebay, as she unplugged it after leaving it charging in the evening before bed, and it was fully depleted and off by the time she woke up, which is crazy bad.

I'll look into the battery saver options once the new battery comes in. Otherwise she loves the new phone :v:

If you're on 8, it's probably just a bad battery. Once you get the new battery, I'd let it die all the way, then charge it to full. After that, just use it like normal and it should be good. WP8 should be able to last you the whole day, outside of lots of gaming/video watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
A known issue for the 820 is that the battery does not properly sit in the phone. Take off the back cover and see if the battery just falls straight out.

I had this problem as well and the solution is to buy a 3rd party battery or place a small piece of paper to ensure the contact with the battery and the metal contacts.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Zarfol posted:

A known issue for the 820 is that the battery does not properly sit in the phone. Take off the back cover and see if the battery just falls straight out.

I had this problem as well and the solution is to buy a 3rd party battery or place a small piece of paper to ensure the contact with the battery and the metal contacts.

The 2500m amp or whatever battery I am buying to replace hers is apparently more snug, which should help this issue.

But she is having to charge it twice a day, it actually goes to low battery instead of just straight off-- which I would guess be an indicator of a loose battery.

As I said, I am glad she's happy with this phone because she has been notoriously picky with phones lately after having to give up use of her trusty 7 year old blackberry due to moving off of her old phone plan.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Zarfol posted:

I had the exact same problem with my 620 too, took me a while to work out why the phone would turn off randomly. Yeah, sticking a piece of paper behind the battery works perfectly.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Rent posted:

Battery life will be bad on any beta without the correct firmware. Not exactly an 8.1 thing as it is incomplete software

People keep saying this, but I mentioned earlier that I know a guy at Nokia who's been using beta versions of Cyan for over a month and is getting 4-6 hours of battery life on his 920. Sure, he's on "beta" firmware, but you'd think there would at least be small improvements over not having Cyan at all.

Could just be that the firmware updates for 920 suck, and maybe 1020 etc are doing better. I'm curious how battery is for 630 users, since they probably have a pretty complete phone as it came with 8.1 and some version of Cyan.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The problem is far from universal, my 920 works great on the latest stuff. It had a bit of a regression on the initial 8.1 release, but that was remedied by the following patch. Seems weird that it would be hardware, but I assume anyone afflicted have tried the hugely annoying complete reset?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
My 920 on 8.0 has always had battery inconsistencies. Kind of loving annoying.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I didn't realise before but custom lock screens might not be available for 512mb devices.

That sucks and makes it even weirder that Nokia are coming out with brand new 512mb phones, you'd think they would ensure that their phones could use all the features of their software.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sri.Theo posted:

I didn't realise before but custom lock screens might not be available for 512mb devices.

That sucks and makes it even weirder that Nokia are coming out with brand new 512mb phones, you'd think they would ensure that their phones could use all the features of their software.

The lock screens will not be available until Microsoft has made sure, that they don't use too many resources on a 512MB device.

Until then, they are only releasing them to 1GB and 2GB devices.

As mentioned in the article: "Why not 512 [MB handsets]?" he wrote. "To make lock fast/stay in memory. 512 MB for lock app will probably be a while."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Xbox Music Update Report: Still horribly slow useless POS, continue on

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Xbox Music Update Report: Still horribly slow useless POS, continue on

Yeah, I thought they had actually made it somehow WORSE, but it turns out the service actually also was having problems the day they released the update, so cloud collection didn't work and streaming from the store just got you the 30 second samples.

At least we're back to the same baseline of blah.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

When does 8.1 officially RTM? And what are the chances they can get their poo poo together before then?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

loquacius posted:

When does 8.1 officially RTM? And what are the chances they can get their poo poo together before then?

Before the 1st. July.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Maneki Neko posted:

At least we're back to the same baseline of blah.

It's kind of magical how the company that makes the OS is so blitheringly incompetent at writing a functional app on the very platform they're creating. Not even a great app or a good app but a functional app.

Meanwhile people like Rudy Huyn releases 6 decent quality apps a year. It really makes the Windows Phone team's apps people (or Xbox Music apps people, I truly do not care which sub sub subdivision is responsible) useless at their jobs.

Hey, Windows Phone team members that read this thread, how about you cancel your dismal zero effort app and just contract Rudy to make your Xbox Music app for you since you clearly cannot do it yourselves.

e: please feel free to forward this post to your superiors

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No, it's not even that they're incapable of making a usable app on their platform. The WP8.0 one was usable. The WP7.5 one was good, even. They took a good app and made it usable, then took that one and broke the poo poo out of it. v:geno:v

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kidney Stone posted:

Before the 1st. July.
I sure hope so, because the release of the 930 is apparently tied to the general release of WP8.1. It's almost like an unicorn.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure hope so, because the release of the 930 is apparently tied to the general release of WP8.1.

Which is odd since the 630 is happily being sold with 8.1 on board.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure hope so, because the release of the 930 is apparently tied to the general release of WP8.1. It's almost like an unicorn.

Haven't they said at this point that the Lumia packages are all done for 8.1?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There was that timetable on evleaks, which showed the week ending on June 9th as release window for the RC build for the 930.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

No, it's not even that they're incapable of making a usable app on their platform. The WP8.0 one was usable. The WP7.5 one was good, even. They took a good app and made it usable, then took that one and broke the poo poo out of it. v:geno:v

Just like the Zune -> Windows Phone desktop app.

Anyone have any problems with Cortana identifying music on 8.1? I can't tell if it's my phones microphone or if the portion of Cortana is now garbage.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Factor Mystic posted:

It's kind of magical how the company that makes the OS is so blitheringly incompetent at writing a functional app on the very platform they're creating. Not even a great app or a good app but a functional app.

Meanwhile people like Rudy Huyn releases 6 decent quality apps a year. It really makes the Windows Phone team's apps people (or Xbox Music apps people, I truly do not care which sub sub subdivision is responsible) useless at their jobs.

I assumed it was because Rudy doesn't have a "team" that contains multiple levels of redundant Project Managers that contribute nothing and slow down the overall process. Seriously the Manager:Developer ratio for the team(s) is probably 1:3.

I think we're going to see a sharp drop in quality from the Nokia MixRadio team(s) now that MS owns them and they're going to be forced to conform.

loquacius posted:

Is Xbox Music written in something different than the Music + Video Hub? That would explain a lot, especially the sudden inability to animate the live tile.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

LentThem posted:

I assumed it was because Rudy doesn't have a "team" that contains multiple levels of redundant Project Managers that contribute nothing and slow down the overall process. Seriously the Manager:Developer ratio for the team(s) is probably 1:3.

I think we're going to see a sharp drop in quality from the Nokia MixRadio team(s) now that MS owns them and they're going to be forced to conform.

My pet theory is that those managers used the excuse that they couldn't update quickly because of the original OS integration, etc. So, when it was announced that Music and Video were being split into separate apps for update speed, those managers probably crapped their pants. I'd like to hope it's only a matter of time until it gets fixed... they have to fix it... right? :shepface:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Factor Mystic posted:

I can't believe he isn't in Redmond right now working for them with some big fat salary. It's the most obvious thing to do, so of course MS hasn't done it. :psyduck:

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

LentThem posted:

Is Xbox Music written in something different than the Music + Video Hub? That would explain a lot, especially the sudden inability to animate the live tile.

If the previous app was Silverlight they would have had to re-do it completely to make it a universal app (which both Music and Video are now) in preparation for the eventual WP-RT convergence.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Soon I plan on switching to a Windows phone. All my contacts, calendar, etc are in Google and I would like to keep it that way if possible. Do I need to migrate all my info over to Nokia?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Krinos posted:

If the previous app was Silverlight they would have had to re-do it completely to make it a universal app (which both Music and Video are now) in preparation for the eventual WP-RT convergence.
Silverlight is easy to port to WinRT. The previous app was however written in C# and UIX (their UI framework for system apps, still largely in user in 8.1).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

wormil posted:

Soon I plan on switching to a Windows phone. All my contacts, calendar, etc are in Google and I would like to keep it that way if possible. Do I need to migrate all my info over to Nokia?

Just log in as a Google account after you turn the phone on. It's all there and works fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hotsauce posted:

Just log in as a Google account after you turn the phone on. It's all there and works fine.

Awesome, thanks.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

LentThem posted:

They better not loving touch Nokia MixRadio! They only recently stopped random songs from skipping and I actually use it more than Xbox Music. If they touch it then I'll have to bring my iPod nano out of retirement just so I can listen to music in the car again.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

benitocereno posted:

My pet theory is that those managers used the excuse that they couldn't update quickly because of the original OS integration, etc. So, when it was announced that Music and Video were being split into separate apps for update speed, those managers probably crapped their pants. I'd like to hope it's only a matter of time until it gets fixed... they have to fix it... right? :shepface:
We've been waiting for anything getting to within 30% of the capability/competence of the Zune ecosystem for years with no luck, so I'm not confident. MS just doesn't seem to care about music anymore except as a vehicle for pushing their streaming service, which is pretty idiotic considering you don't advertise your "new" service by giving your existing customers a much shittier experience than before.

It's pretty uncanny it's been a steady regression from WP 7.5. Just burn the Xbox Music division to the ground.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
On the one hand,I don't want to pick on the Xbox music team to much. Totally revamping their app can't be easy, and I know how it is when you have to go through a massive refactoring effort like this.

On the other hand...

Every time I change artists, I got a 50/50 shot of having the album art xaml break (The band actually playing is not the album it thinks it is.), leaving me unable to change the song with any of the controls without restarting the app. :argh:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, can't be too harsh. Show me any other music app that can successfully change artists without breaking, it's an almost intractable problem.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

While we're on the subject, the Music app updated this morning after a Dev Preview OS update. Artist-browsing status: still hosed.

It's unfortunate that that's the one feature that's broken so badly considering it's the main way most people are going to browse their music. Again, I've resorted to having Cortana do it for me every time, but that's not a good general solution.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Another issue I have with Xbox music as a service is its tendency to lump multiple artists together. For example:

The artist I want is "Marbles", the album on top is correct, and it and their first album are listed as on the service, but the rest on it are by other artists with similar names.

Once again, :argh:

BizzyLimpkits
May 20, 2001

Who's that coming down the track...
Is there a way to turn off location services for a specific app, or is the global location services toggle the only one that exists?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I'm the only person on earth with no big beef with the Xbox Music app. Seems to work ok for me, but I really only use it like once a day for an hour and don't really look at it. Pretty much the definition of "works for me v:q:v"

Of all the quirks I've found with WP8.1, the music app is way down the list. I actually keep meaning to come up with a list of little things I want to ask about but they're so trivial that I always forget about them until.. they happen again.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I use the Nokia MixRadio app. Works really well and the tile is a pretty pink. :allears:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I use the Nokia MixRadio app. Works really well and the tile is a pretty pink. :allears:

Yeah, I don't even have an Xbox. So while I appreciate some people may get some use out of an app to control music playing through their Xbox, I don't get much use out of Xbox Music.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know why they call it Xbox Music in the app itself, but the icon is just "Music". I don't have an Xbox either so I don't actually know how much it has to do with an Xbox other than the branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rckgrdn
Apr 26, 2002

So that's how it's made...

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

You wouldn't believe the abuse we get for the tile colour from some reviewers, especially the Russians... Glad someone likes it!