Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually I think goons have concluded that the best way to play defense is to crush a dude's face into the boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
nerfing passing, no mention of unfucking ridiculous glitch shots, no mention of unfucking how horrible vision control is at the blueline or in front of the net, nerfing hitting, which was virtually the only way to stop dudes with puck control so souped up you can't lift/poke them...

Seems like another a+ roster update! The one positive fix was that fighting after big hits has been taken down.

And yeah, as tester said, the best way to play defense is to just loving stand there and try to get in the way. Anyone in eashl with a juice puck control stat is near impossible to poke off. Waving your stick back and forth is too slow, never gets the puck, and then leaves you out of position.

God I hate that this is one of my favorite games, but it is always so loving half baked ever year.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 12, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There are no glitch shots, you just need to learn to play defense!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Hahahaha. I just watched that last gameplay vid.

It's literally 14 + 40mph gusts in the fancy new stadiums and an NBC logo. Still the same arcade style skating where everyone is like Martin St Louis on steroids. Wooooooooo

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

There are no glitch shots, you just need to learn to play defense!

Quick learner.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Teeter posted:

I believe you can hold poke check down to make right stick a modifier for where you want to wave your stick around, however it's mostly a gimmick and puts you at a disadvantage compared to just not pressing a button. Is it telling that the best way to defend many situations in the game is to do nothing and hope things work out?

Yes, of course it's a joke, because they didn't make it so you could skate and move your stick around, at the same time. IE: I am completely unable to poke check while skating forward. Likewise for stick handling.

Also STOP ADDING "VISION" TO SPORTS GAMES! STOP IT! It's the dumbest loving concept ever. For one thing, I'm capable of moving my eyeballs and/or neck. Just because I can't make direct eye contact with the puck carrier behind my back, doesn't mean I'm clueless as to where he is!

I get it, the concept makes sense in theory, but there is no way in hell EA Sports can accurately replicate the way looking at things works. Human vision is not a slow-rotating cone FFS.

Basically...

-I can't skate and stick handle/chew gum at the same time.
-I'm an infant or animal with a bite cone around my neck. What I cannot see simply doesn't exist.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 12, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I still want to know what retard thought it was a good idea to allow players to pin themselves into the boards as an effective way to avoid forecheckers. If a defenseman or forward saw a forechecker coming and decided to pin themselves to the boards in real hockey they'd get literally murdered, they wouldn't have some magic forcefield which prevents being turned into a paraplegic. Also it's excessively annoying how the computer cheats and just locks on and pins you into the boards whenever you're even close - even if they're at an angle where it should be impossible to do so.

Oh and slowing down to shoot should not make you shoot better. That's....not at all how hockey works. Your shot should be more accurate maybe if you slow down but harder? It's like EA has never watched hockey before.

NHL 14 is still a hella fun game though. I kill countless hours on EASHL.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Ginette Reno posted:

I still want to know what retard thought it was a good idea to allow players to pin themselves into the boards as an effective way to avoid forecheckers. If a defenseman or forward saw a forechecker coming and decided to pin themselves to the boards in real hockey they'd get literally murdered, they wouldn't have some magic forcefield which prevents being turned into a paraplegic. Also it's excessively annoying how the computer cheats and just locks on and pins you into the boards whenever you're even close - even if they're at an angle where it should be impossible to do so.

I love how this is a thing, yet I can't pin myself into the boards to keep the puck inside the blue line/stop pucks coming from along the boards passes.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

The Rev posted:

Quick learner.

Unobstructed/unscreened wristers from just inside the blueline should have a very small chance of going in, but in the NHL series, they have been one of the highest % scoring chances for half a decade. But it's not a glitch! :allears: :allears:

cname posted:

I love how this is a thing, yet I can't pin myself into the boards to keep the puck inside the blue line/stop pucks coming from along the boards passes.

Yes. That drives me mad. I hate how lt works for defense since they added that new skating mechanic. Trying to play defense at the opposing blueline was already a pain before that, and now it's horrid.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Boardplay and pivoting have been my biggest annoyances for years. Along with the AI ofcourse. I'm not expecting any of that change.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

It's not like they're incapable of making it less arcadey. There was one year, maybe two or three years ago, where at launch the game actually played close to real hockey. I played defense that year because it was actually fun, generating offense from the blueline wasn't poo poo, and goaltending wasn't a clusterfuck. Sure enough, two weeks later, patch roles out and you suddenly can't lift/poke/push off anyone.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
The only reason I want this is so I can remote play it to my Vita and play hockey on the can.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Unobstructed/unscreened wristers from just inside the blueline should have a very small chance of going in, but in the NHL series, they have been one of the highest % scoring chances for half a decade. But it's not a glitch! :allears: :allears:

Woosh.

Never said glitch goals were akin the the Loch Ness monster. At this point I am content in believing Xbox either has different tuners than PS3, or all of the top glitchers are over there. Perhaps I give people the benefit of the doubt when I should not, but when an oddball goal is scored, I chalk it up to an odd ball goal. I've scored plenty of low effort shot goals myself through unrealistic bounces, deflections, and questionable screens. At no point do I think I am intentionally glitching for them though. I can't wait for more goons to come over to our platform, we can enjoy some solid, glitch-free games with maximum violence.

I fully agree with you that most of the cut and wrist from the top of the circle shots have a substantially higher success rate than they should. But even with that, our games never end up being glitch-fests. Our club has 10 active members, most more vocal than myself when playing, and I can't remember the last time someone has complained about glitching against us. Not saying it does not happen, but it is much closer to an anomaly than a trend in our EASHL games. We're probably well north of 600 club games, in terms of sample size.

Would I like for the wristers "glitch" to be fixed? Absolutely. Am I going to lose my mind over it when I am playing with friends? No. Do I expect it to be fixed? No. I am sure the day it gets fixed, a new high percentage shot will take it's place. That or dynamic cloth technology where I can get the puck stuck in my jersey and just skate into the net for a goal.

I'd prefer some of the other quality of life changes other have mentioned. The ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone when on the point. Not tripping someone staring at me when I go to one knee to block a shot. Not rocketing the goal to the moon when I touch it going 2 mph. I want people to injure themselves when missing a hit and hitting the boards like in NHL 12. Where's my broken glass in EASHL? Where's my injury when I take a 100 mph slapper to my eye socket? Where are my "real" shot block stats? Dynamic cloth technology? I want Dynamic teeth technology. I want my dude to end the game with zero teeth after drawing his 9th boarding major of the game.

My last gripe would be for attributes to mean something more in EASHL. Got 90 shot blocking? That's nice, it doesn't do anything. Capped aggression? That's cool, allow me to wreck you with my 65 aggression playmaker because I'm two inches taller. You quickly learn what attributes are worthless, and what ones are paramount.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Can we just get NHL Hitz back and call video game hockey a day?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Views from that video:

• The puck is still glued to the end of the puckholder's stick
  • The goalie defaults to the "splits while on his rear end" save
  • Skating looks exactly the same, save for one bit where the LA defenseman did a realistic looking crossover
  • Skating backwards with the puck up the ice is still a thing
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The energy meters are no longer red/yellow/green
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The puck doesn't bounce 7 feet in the air during a dump-in
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The goalie's pass now FLIES out of his glove

So, yep. NHL 14 sponsored by NBC.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

[*]Skating backwards with the puck up the ice is still a thing

Somewhere Kronwall gets a raging boner and can't figure out why.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Hockles posted:

Views from that video:

• The puck is still glued to the end of the puckholder's stick
  • The goalie defaults to the "splits while on his rear end" save
  • Skating looks exactly the same, save for one bit where the LA defenseman did a realistic looking crossover
  • Skating backwards with the puck up the ice is still a thing
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The energy meters are no longer red/yellow/green
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The puck doesn't bounce 7 feet in the air during a dump-in
  • :siren: New Feature! :siren: The goalie's pass now FLIES out of his glove

So, yep. NHL 14 sponsored by NBC.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that the goalie throws the puck as hard as you can shoot.

They're really pushing for arcade style play now!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-up...s=1402609695165

In case you didn't have enough non-answers for one week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now he's done it, he went and made a quote that will make people think that puck physics are as complicated as high energy physics.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

That is probably the most garbage interview I've ever read.

What are the major differences between NHL 15 on current gen platforms vs. next gen platforms?
Well, you see, the consoles are different, so there are differences. Next question.

Good to know that AI are still going to force you offside rather than dump it in, because IT'S IN THE GAME

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
VISION AI

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
What are you most excited about?

Everything! :v:

And thank god he answered the in-game Ray Ferraro question, that's been keeping me up nights. :ohdear:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I just played a couple games of NHL14 to remind me what the biggest needs are, and holy hell do they need to tone down hitting as defence and the puck hitting the goaltender and flipping straight into the air. Also players just casually skating over the puck and sorta spinning around to try and get it back again.

With that said the thing I wanted most of all was to know where Ray Ferraro was standing, so thanks EA!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Heads up you loving turds. No, but real. I said lets not judge the game until we get a chance to play it.

Well I just played it today at E3. So a report from a hardcore NHL fan who gave up on the franchise since NHL 11. Realize I am disgruntled like you. But unlike a lot of you I haven't shelled out 60 dollars for the past few years. I wised up!

My suggestion if I was making a recommendation based only on this demo. Do not buy NHL 15. The game does look nice in motion. The screen shots don't really do it justice because it does look pretty good. Like, its clearly not "HOLY gently caress THIS BLOWS ME AWAY" but in motion the new coat of paint and power upgrade just makes everything feel more real. However, it felt like there was slow down and the frame rate just felt like it was dipping under 30 a lot. I'm sure they'll tighten that part up, but it was noticeable. The demo let me play as LA, NY, MON, and CHI and all the teams looks generally good but yes, the faces have that weird not really accurate hosed up look. The presentation is very nice.

Gameplay wise it honestly felt a lot how I remembered. Which is fine but there is STILL that weird backward skating issue where you are trying to pinch in just a bit on a rushing forward and instead you just overskate him left or right instead of just trying to stay in front of him. Now I admit I haven't played the past few years of NHL but I played the hell out of 07-10 and it felt very very familiar. I stepped in right away without issue. It felt a bit slower, more paced than previously I recalled but this is a demo build. So just like the demo WE always download I'm sure it had sliders locked in at default. Quite frankly this doesn't give me a ton of hope. It would be fine as a 20 dollar buy but 60 dollars the way it is now, admittedly still ind evelopment, NO.

Bottom line is you guys know how this poo poo plays and the graphic bump doesn't warrant that poo poo. And yeah, the jersey's are barely noticeable when you're actually focusing on playing the game anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

soggybagel posted:

a hardcore NHL fan who gave up on the franchise since NHL 11. Realize I am disgruntled like you. But unlike a lot of you I haven't shelled out 60 dollars for the past few years. I wised up!

Giving up isn't hardcore, ya know.

Also it's important to realize the context of most of these games: a drunk, social hit fest using a mode (eashl) that only began when you gave up.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Kickstarter to remove Sean Ramjagsingh as producer of the NHL series.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ seriously. I bet he went to a Kings playoff game once in an EA-bought suite so HEY let's make him the exec producer!

soggybagel posted:

Heads up you loving turds. No, but real. I said lets not judge the game until we get a chance to play it.

Well I just played it today at E3. So a report from a hardcore NHL fan who gave up on the franchise since NHL 11. Realize I am disgruntled like you. But unlike a lot of you I haven't shelled out 60 dollars for the past few years. I wised up!

Seriously you keep bringing this part up for some reason - dude, get the gently caress off of your "well I didn't buy all of them like you guys did so... so... so..." high horse. I only ever got 10 and 12 over here and skipped 11, 13 and 14 because they were garbage if you liked playing D and seemed like nothing more than EA's standard slap-a-coat-of-paint-on-it rehashes which is exactly what they were.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I have a lot of disposable income and I buy every NHl 3 times. My car gets bad gas mileage

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
gently caress it, I'm happy. They did more than I expected they would. Then again, I expected they would do nothing so...

Rammator posted:

Will there be group celebrations when players score goals?
Yes! You will also see new individual player celebrations.

The front-end menu isn't as quick and efficient as some may like. Has changes been made to streamline the time it takes to get into a game or reach a game mode?
Yes. One of the first things you’ll notice when you pick up NHL15 is the new menu structure. We’ve overhauled every screen in the game with an emphasis on simplifying the end user’s experience so that they can get to where they want to go as efficiently as possible.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes, they've "changed" the menus, but have they actually removed the server queries which make it slow? Notice how navigating the menus without internet is 10x faster than when you're connected.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I've come to the conclusion that since I'm totally fine with paying £60 for GTA V again just with prettier graphics, I can make peace with the idea of buying NHL14 Remastered Edition™ for PS4 this fall.

Namaste everyone.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Duke Chin posted:

^^^ seriously. I bet he went to a Kings playoff game once in an EA-bought suite so HEY let's make him the exec producer!

Seriously you keep bringing this part up for some reason - dude, get the gently caress off of your "well I didn't buy all of them like you guys did so... so... so..." high horse. I only ever got 10 and 12 over here and skipped 11, 13 and 14 because they were garbage if you liked playing D and seemed like nothing more than EA's standard slap-a-coat-of-paint-on-it rehashes which is exactly what they were.

Haha. Dude. I'm just loving with you guys. Sorry if that wasn't clear. If it wasn't clear I'm on the side of the consumer. EA has hosed around too long on this series and I reported it as such. Don't buy this game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hey, that's technically true. It's probably not an actual glitch.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

soggybagel posted:

Well, this isn't really helpful. You haven't played since NHL 11 and it doesn't sound like you've adjusted to the True Performance Skating which was implemented in 13. So you can't tell us what's changed there gameplay-wise, or really anything else since you haven't played 14. Also, I don't know why you gave up on 11 since 11 and 12 were really fun. NHL 09 and 10 was still the best though.

Edit: this is a little bit more informative: http://www.operationsports.com/features/1884/nhl-15-twenty-additional-details/

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2014

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

FIFA looks no different looking at the trailers. Majority of it was out of game post production nonsense with very little gameplay. I suspect the NHL series is no different, and as we've expected is just a re-hash of the previous 4 titles.

In short: Game designers and major production houses like EA are plebs.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've still played a handful of times from 12-14 because I have friends who bought the game. I mean, everyone needs to make decisions on their own but this doesn't fundamentally change te base play they've had since moving to ps3 and Xbox 360. It's certainly more of the same with some upgrades as per usual.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

http://www.operationsports.com/features/1884/nhl-15-twenty-additional-details/

"Because of the new cloth and puck physics, the puck can get stuck in a player's equipment."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sticks however are still incorporeal, sorry guys it's just too hard to fix.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

xzzy posted:

Sticks however are still incorporeal, sorry guys it's just too hard to fix.

So this will probably still happen.

I like how my guy also fell, as if he really was hit in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also something that was funny and has been in recent games across the EA board is the weird collision physics. SO say a guy goes down to block a shot or say he fell when he got checked. Another skater who tries to skate over the fallen guy will trip and kind of fall in that weird sort of too slow to be real body rag doll fall and it looks loving stupid. As it does in recent FIFA games and the past NHL games.

• Locked thread