Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
A buddy & I played a 200 points a side game last night, my list was:

"Hobbie" Klivian (27)
X-Wing (25), R3-A2 (2)

Wedge Antilles (31)
X-Wing (29), Swarm Tactics (2)

"Dutch" Vander (28)
Y-Wing (23), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Gold Squadron Pilot (23)
Y-Wing (18), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Dagger Squadron Pilot (30)
B-Wing (24), Advanced Sensors (3), Ion Cannon (3)

Dagger Squadron Pilot (30)
B-Wing (24), Advanced Sensors (3), Ion Cannon (3)

Jan Ors (31)
HWK-290 (25), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Nien Nunb (1)

vs.

Lambda (Colonel Jendon + Upgrades)
2x TIE-B (Captain Jonus + Generic)
3x TIE-I (Avenger Squadron)
4x TIE-F (Howlrunner Blob)

We had an absolute whale of a time. MVP was actually Jan, who just kept out of harm's way, and fed extra Attack Dice to Ion Turrets all game. The Ion Cannons on the Daggers were a waste; Every time I fired one, I would have been better served just firing their primary weapons, but the Ion Turrets at 3+ proved to be absolutely golden, including frying the Lambda two turns in a row.

MVP for the Imperials was the generic TIE-B, because directly after THIS awesome pincer (I'd just finished moving, and was feeling very smug I'd managed to not bump anyone) damaged or destroyed most of the TIE-I and TIE-F in a single turn...

Fired an Assault Missile into the middle Y-Wing, hitting it for two damage and doing SIX more in splash damage. Wedge died just afterward to a Concussion Missile fired by Jendon. That swung the table back significantly, but the remaining Imperials just couldn't compete with the amount of firepower still being poured on, and we ended with one TIE-B still flying after the Lambda was focussed down by both Y-Wings and Hobbie.

God I love just playing this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4869

YAY

YT-2400!!!!!

:stare:

edit: Mara Jade. YES

alg fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 13, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Holy fart, that's cool. I can't wait for the new Imperial big ship.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Man the outrider still looks awesome.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
gently caress the YT-2400 at least the Empire is getting some love.

The VT-49 Decimator looks pretty nice. A couple of them should make for nice Corvette hunters.

edit:

YT-2400 for completion.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 13, 2014

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
What's with the big circular arrows on the base?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Nebalebadingdong posted:

What's with the big circular arrows on the base?

Turrets have 360° arc of fire. This is usually the primary weapon on ships that have it on the base.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
The 2400 has 2 agility? Isn't that the same as an X-wing?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

SquadronROE posted:

The 2400 has 2 agility? Isn't that the same as an X-wing?

And Firespray, and HWK

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Seeing the Decimator brings back good memories of flying around with goons in Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed. I remember sitting next to the pilot and managing power levels during combat while some gross naked aliens were dancing on the bridge.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lando!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

drat, 3/0/12/4 with a turret, and the cheap one will probably be around 30 points? Sign me up for 2 Decimators.

edit: I wonder how the debris clouds will be different than asteroids.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

edit: I wonder how the debris clouds will be different than asteroids.

I wonder if its going to be something like 2 attack dice if you land on them and no defensive bonus or something.

-edit-

or they move?!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I hope they are just a different kind of asteroid. I don't need more mission only stuff

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I would have guessed that the next Imperial large ship would have been the Sentinel, since it had screen time.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Madurai posted:

I would have guessed that the next Imperial large ship would have been the Sentinel, since it had screen time.

That's just another version of the lambda, I would have been pretty disappointed if that was the next mid size ship to release. I can't wait to see what will be the first Imperial large ship.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I won't be what people are hoping for, unless they give up on scale totally.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

That's just another version of the lambda, I would have been pretty disappointed if that was the next mid size ship to release. I can't wait to see what will be the first Imperial large ship.

A Lambda that's twice the size and has missiles.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

LumberingTroll posted:

As much as I'd like to swat alphabet fighters out of the sky with a Lancer Frigate, that thing is twice the size of a CR-90.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Madurai posted:

A Lambda that's twice the size and has missiles.

Everything I've seen is the size is pretty similar, just longer, the front of it is exactly the same.
Edit: did some checking and yeah, its just almost twice as long. 38 meters as to the lambdas 20m, The rest of it is very similar. It only has two concussion launchers, and was mainly meant for a Troop / Vehicle / Supply transport, not a primary combatant.

Poopy Palpy posted:

As much as I'd like to swat alphabet fighters out of the sky with a Lancer Frigate, that thing is twice the size of a CR-90.

I figure they will do one more size at a smaller scale to get some of the larger things in, but I don't think we will ever see star destroyers or mon-cal cruisers.

A Nebulon-B Frigate would work though, they are only a little larger than a Corillian Corvette, and the Imperials used them a lot. There are also a lot of snub ships that look like baby star destroyers. A lot of this is EU content though, including both of these new ships and the characters on them, so they must not be following 100% cannon now?

edit: guess they have been for a while now, the HWK / Katarn was EU as well.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 13, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Nebulon-B is almost twice the length of the Corellian Corvette.

EDIT: I'm trying to think of stuff from the EU that might be used (since they obviously aren't afraid to dip their toes in it). Lancer frigates are still 250 meters in length to the 150 of the corvette. It's difficult to find other stuff the size of a corvette though...

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Tekopo posted:

The Nebulon-B is almost twice the length of the Corellian Corvette.

You are correct, it actually is twice the length, 300m to the corvette's 150m.

They could do a Imperial Customs corvette, its only 180m so 30m longer than a Corillian Corvette.

Guardian Class Light-Cruiser is only 42 meters long.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Guardian-class_light_cruiser

This site is helpful.
http://insd.swcombine.com/insd.htm

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Maybe Rogue Shadow, though I have no idea what the copyright issues might be.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The IPV-1 System Patrol Craft would work too, and they've been in games as far back as TIE Fighter at least.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Corellian Gunship would be awesome and act as a foil for the Corellian Corvette, it was also a really annoying ship to fight in TIE Fighter/X-Wing etc

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The Gunship is pretty seriously armed though, compared to everything else it's size. Which is the point of it I guess, but I'm not sure it fits in this game.

I really wish they'd make smaller scale capital ships like Attack Wing, and then use the current fighter mini's to represent entire squadrons of fighters moving around, so we could have a real Star Wars fleet battle game. There's like a billion ships to plunder in the EU for capital class stuff, and who wouldn't want to see just how many ships an Executor-class SSD can take on solo? :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There's also the Marauder class.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah at this point id rather just have a spinoff game with tiny star destroyers/mon cals then have generic looking EU big ship. The corvette at that price, for something you might use once in a while, is pushing it. No Imperial EU ship at that size looks good enough imo.

I do like the way Attack Wing handles fighters.

Doing something like that with (and just not give a poo poo about scale) would work pretty well for a spin off type game. Plus I just dont think big ships work very well in the current game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I see these things at my LGS all the time and it really seems like they chose a scale that's screwed them out of being able to ever make the iconic capital ships because they'd be bigger than the goddamn table. Though I guess if they started at a scale where they'd actually be able to make a Star Destroyer, the standard x-wings and TIE fighters would be hilariously miniscule, so there's no way to get around it. Imperial engineering is just too grand.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I feels SW is more iconic in terms of dogfights between fighters rather than cap ship fights like in Star Trek so I understand why they went for this scale.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This game could easily support ships at 2 different scales Fighters at their own current scale and large ships at an even smaller scale. People would bitch at an x-wing flying by a tiny star destroyer but what they forget is theres already a 2nd scale in the game. Movement scale. The current movement scale makes no sense unless you really think flying what amounts to an extra 20 meters forward would really stress out a Y-wing pilot. If you introduce a separate (tiny)big ship scale you can actually make movement scale work right.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

This game could easily support ships at 2 different scales Fighters at their own current scale and large ships at an even smaller scale. People would bitch at an x-wing flying by a tiny star destroyer but what they forget is theres already a 2nd scale in the game. Movement scale. The current movement scale makes no sense unless you really think flying what amounts to an extra 20 meters forward would really stress out a Y-wing pilot. If you introduce a separate (tiny)big ship scale you can actually make movement scale work right.
It's not about moving 20 extra meters forward, it's movement during a set timeframe: the extra distance represents acceleration for s small amount of time before the pilot/y-wing can't take it anymore.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Or things like having to shunt power around or performing the maneuver is occupying enough of the pilot's attention that he's momentarily unable to perform his other actions.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Off the bat I was never a big Dash Rendar fan and I've always never liked the Outrider so :shrug:.

The VT-49 looks interesting, the turret is extremely interesting and could actually bring the teamwork and support options that the Imperials have been looking for. I don't think it'll replace the Firespray-31 or the Lambda Shuttle at all, the Shuttle is a bargain vehicle for support crew and the Firespray is decent in it's own right. I also think it'll probably work well as an "evil" Millenium Falcon but who really knows, it was literally just announced and we don't know poo poo beyond "this looks neat".

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VT-49 sort of looks like a design you might see in Star Trek. Not a bad thing, it's just a little different.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
If the VT-49 cheap guy is 40 points, I might give Soontir Fel with PTL and Stealth and a Sabre with Predator and Hull a go with it. Really makes me wish we had a good sturdy mid-priced ship to replace the Sabre though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Entropic posted:

I see these things at my LGS all the time and it really seems like they chose a scale that's screwed them out of being able to ever make the iconic capital ships because they'd be bigger than the goddamn table. Though I guess if they started at a scale where they'd actually be able to make a Star Destroyer, the standard x-wings and TIE fighters would be hilariously miniscule, so there's no way to get around it. Imperial engineering is just too grand.

Fighter squadrons would really be best represented by counters at that point--or just factored into the attack factors of their carriers.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

smashthedean posted:

If the VT-49 cheap guy is 40 points, I might give Soontir Fel with PTL and Stealth and a Sabre with Predator and Hull a go with it. Really makes me wish we had a good sturdy mid-priced ship to replace the Sabre though.

I'm guessing it's gonna be mid-30's probably. The one card you can see for it is I think PS8 and his ability is something like "At range 1, change 1 focus to a crit when attacking" which sounds like a pretty expensive ability. Certainly more than 6 points for PS8 and that ability.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just pleased to see that Fantasy Flight is still able to put out "Legends" EU content. With the whole switchover to Story Group canon and the like, there was a very real chance that FFG would have to make all their products compliant with the "only stuff from the movies, Clone Wars and future material" rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005

Leo Showers posted:

Off the bat I was never a big Dash Rendar fan and I've always never liked the Outrider so :shrug:.

I'm not either. I'd rather see the Otana from X-Wing Alliance but I understand that Shadows of the Empire is more popular as far as EU content goes.

• Locked thread