Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serperoth posted:

I love those when they go so far as to not have the actual card they were named after in the deck. Like Affinity which often has no cards with actual Affinity for artifacts.

Dredge, too, right? Why's it called that when the mechanic is long gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

goferchan posted:

Dredge, too, right? Why's it called that when the mechanic is long gone?

Modern Affinity still runs Thoughtcast about half the time, doesn't it? I think Wizards tried in event coverage to get people to call it "Robots", but it never caught on.

And Dredge in Legacy is still a Dredge deck, but people will call any Green/Black self-mill Standard deck that isn't Reanimator "Dredge" now. When they're not calling it The Rock.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah Dredge still runs plenty of cards that actually have Dredge like Golgari Grave-Troll, but they're a means to an end more than they are a wincon.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Delverless Delver was a great standard deck.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I'm going to a tournament today with a Burn deck. I'm going to be a smartass and call it Stormless Storm, since it casts X number of spells to win, just like Storm does.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's fair. Burn plays like a combo deck anyway that can control when it needs to. I'd say it's the fastest control deck there is!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Kraus posted:

I'm going to a tournament today with a Burn deck. I'm going to be a smartass and call it Stormless Storm, since it casts X number of spells to win, just like Storm does.

Just call it The Rock.

Back when I was playing a mostly-white prison deck in Modern, I was referring to it as Team America.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I love those when they go so far as to not have the actual card they were named after in the deck. Like Affinity which often has no cards with actual Affinity for artifacts.

To be completely fair, Modern affinity is at least descended from a deck that had a bunch of cards with Affinity for Artifacts.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

To be completely fair, Modern affinity is at least descended from a deck that had a bunch of cards with Affinity for Artifacts.

I know, but over time it's just Thoughtcast and Frogmite, neither of which is a core card in the deck. Don't get me wrong, I still love the name and deck, I'm just musing on the 'evolution'.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Solidarity is totally the best example for this.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

Solidarity is totally the best example for this.

Did it actually run Solidarity at some point?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Everblight posted:

No. I'm not clear on the origin of that name, but someone on MTGSalvation says the creator was trying to think of a name for his cool new blue deck when he happened to win a game of Limited with Solidarity.

It's an interesting thread, apparently Nic Fit was supposed to be Nice Fit but the inventor misspelled a thread name on a forum.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
The Source thread's OP indicates that he named Nic Fit after the Sonic Youth song since he was listening to it when he named the deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

I believe some builds put in one copy as a joke, but that would be it since it wouldn't be castable.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

No. I'm not clear on the origin of that name, but someone on MTGSalvation says the creator was trying to think of a name for his cool new blue deck when he happened to win a game of Limited with Solidarity.

It's an interesting thread, apparently Nic Fit was supposed to be Nice Fit but the inventor misspelled a thread name on a forum.

I remember reading the same thing years back.

The one deck name I well and truly have no idea about is Freshmaker.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star city really did a lot to damage the fine tradition of making good deck names. Geirhart, back when he still played magic, used to complain about how much he had to fight the guys making deck names to keep his original name instead of putting a dumb SCG-term for it. Shot in the dark would've probably been called UB artifacts and high tide, disappointingly, was called high tide. I'll have to asks him sometime if he wanted a different name for that deck.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
High Tide was called High Tide before SCG ever existed.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Attorney at Funk posted:

Cancel's not in M15? What will the common counterspell be, then, I wonder.
I'm more annoyed that Serra Angel apparently isn't going to be in M15.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

Back when I was playing a mostly-white prison deck in Modern, I was referring to it as Team America.

I'd be a more appropriate name if it was a mostly-black prison deck.

...I'll see myself out.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

C-Euro posted:

...I'll see myself out.

That was the idea: When you're playing a prison deck, it's not YOU that's in prison.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One of my favourite moments of last season's Standard was telling my opponent "Hippies win against America, but they get crushed by The Police."

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

C-Euro posted:

...I'll see myself out.
What for? That was excellent form!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I will be opening foil power on stream in ~15 minutes.

http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

The March Hare posted:

If you do this, I'll hate you. Forever.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kraus posted:

I have heard the straight pyromancer ascension deck (little to no rituals, just bolts, 1 grapeshot, and noxious revival) called unstorm. It won a PTQ in Ghent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The March Hare posted:

More like foil Fungusaur.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

1 minute until VMA, let's do this poo poo!

edit: Holy poo poo the queues are filling fast.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Well, I'm in a Vintage draft, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I need you guys to post all of the lovely combos that people have tried from the last few years of standard. It's for a project DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Nemico posted:

I need you guys to post all of the lovely combos that people have tried from the last few years of standard. It's for a project DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS

4-color Humanimator Combo. :getin:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Reasons I am bad: I just pick anything I remember from when I was 12. Meaning a million Dark Rituals, Hymn to Tourach and the largest dudes I can find.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, I'm in a Vintage draft, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

If a card is worth more than $5, just take it on principle.

Angry Grimace posted:

Reasons I am bad: I just pick anything I remember from when I was 12. Meaning a million Dark Rituals, Hymn to Tourach and the largest dudes I can find.

You're not doing anything wrong.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Nemico posted:

Junk life gain with Exquisite Blood + Sanguine Bond as the kill. Had the guildmage, obzedat, thrags, centaur healer, and maybe Trostani as well?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
OK no foil power this round friends.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

If a card is worth more than $5, just take it on principle.

You're not doing anything wrong.

I took a Smokestack because "it looked cool." Guess its 4 bucks?

Also, the fact that the basics in VM are full art Unglued lands rules.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I took a Smokestack because "it looked cool." Guess its 4 bucks?

Also, the fact that the basics in VM are full art Unglued lands rules.

I'm not sure if Magic Online lets you keep basic lands after the drafts, so I have 100 in my sideboard just in case.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

First game, opponent is on the play and plays Library of Alexandria. My turn - Dark Ritual, Choking Sands, target Library of Alexandria. :allears:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 13, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nemico posted:

Curse of Exhaustion + Knowledge Pool
Which rotated into
Curse of Exhaustion + Possibility Storm
Which rotated into
Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dr. Stab posted:

Curse of Exhaustion + Knowledge Pool
Which rotated into
Curse of Exhaustion + Possibility Storm
Which rotated into
Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm

Borborymgos Enraged + Possibility Storm + Enter the Infinite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nemico posted:

Seance + Mirror-Mad Phantasm (plus Lab Maniac)

Newjani + Sage of Hours

• Locked thread