Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm running Persona, which bears a lot of "mechanical" similarities to JJBA Stands, in Fate Core, and the way I ended up settling on Personas was as follows:

A character's Persona has a "Light" Aspect, or High Concept, a "Dark" Aspect, or Trouble, and one Stunt. Persona stunts and aspects have Permission to provide magical powers to the Persona and/or PC using it. A character always has access to the Persona's Aspects, in a non-magical capacity, even when the Persona has not been Summoned.
So, a character with the Persona OGMA, whose Light Aspect is "Celtic God of Strength" can always invoke that to perform feats of stength. He can't use it pick up and hurl a 9-foot granite sculpture unless he conjures an enormous, Irish, demon-ghost to do it for him, though.
Likewise, a Persona's Stunt is permitted to be rather more powerful than a normal stunt, and can only be used while a Persona is Summoned. These are usually major enough to cost a Fate Token.

Summoning a Persona is just Creating An Advantage. This is important, because, like a Stand, a Persona and its User both share the same pool of stress and consequences. Damage inflicted on either "character" affects both of them, even if any applicable Consequences are meant to apply to one of them specifically. So, a PC on the receiving end of an 8-shift hit might declare, "My Persona dives in to intercept the blast", and take a Severe Consequence that primarily affects the Persona, such as "Shattered Form", which the GM can Compel to interfere with summoning and magic. The other 2 shifts become Stress, as normal.
On a similar note, the Persona provides the versatility of potentially being in more than one place at once, and the Persona and User can potentially tank situations for each other. A single enemy can probably only grapple one of them at a time, for example, and I don't have a problem with a Persona and its user occupying different Zones in a conflict. For JJBA, though, probably most Stands that aren't Hierophant Green have to remain in the same Zone as their User.

A persona as described above takes up one of a character's Stunt slots at character creation. Adding more aspects or stunts to the Persona always costs Refresh- you can't just spend another of your free Stunts on it.

I'm assuming you don't mind if I jack this idea from you? It's so much better than what I had planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm assuming you don't mind if I jack this idea from you? It's so much better than what I had planned.

By all means, go for it :respek:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The problem with DFRPG is that wizards are stupid powerful compared to everybody else.

Which is correctly emulating the source material (where wizards are indeed stupid powerful compared to everybody else) but doesn't work well in an RPG scenario where you have wizards, non-wizard supernaturals, and normal people all in the same group and everyone wants to contribute.

The basic issue of it is, it's not emulating the source material, because wizards keep their existence a secret for drat good reasons. It's been made a point more then once in the books - GUN beats WIZARD. The basic issue with DFRPG is that evocation is stupidly too strong for the source material. In DFRPG, Harry can incinerate anything and everything he sees while barely breaking a sweat or ever feeling any sort of danger, and then use an uber shielding item to block all attacks against him.

It's something you can see when you look at the book's examples for spells - 90% of them reek of "Ok or you can just do straight up Weapon 5 attacks to murder them instantly, but isn't this more...stylish?"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ProfessorCirno posted:

The basic issue of it is, it's not emulating the source material, because wizards keep their existence a secret for drat good reasons. It's been made a point more then once in the books - GUN beats WIZARD. The basic issue with DFRPG is that evocation is stupidly too strong for the source material. In DFRPG, Harry can incinerate anything and everything he sees while barely breaking a sweat or ever feeling any sort of danger, and then use an uber shielding item to block all attacks against him.

It's something you can see when you look at the book's examples for spells - 90% of them reek of "Ok or you can just do straight up Weapon 5 attacks to murder them instantly, but isn't this more...stylish?"

The problem DFRPG seems to have is that they felt a need to systemize their magic with a high degree of granularity, and granularity is a thing FATE doesn't do so hot. So, instead of "solve weird mysteries with mostly subtle magic", you got "Guys, we ported MAGE: The Awakening over to FATE."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

deadly_pudding posted:

The problem DFRPG seems to have is that they felt a need to systemize their magic with a high degree of granularity, and granularity is a thing FATE doesn't do so hot. So, instead of "solve weird mysteries with mostly subtle magic", you got "Guys, we ported MAGE: The Awakening over to FATE."

Magic in the Dresden Files novels is many things; "mostly subtle" is not one of them.

However, you are correct that the granularity of the system is one of the major issues. That and the "free shifts up to your Conviction skill" rule.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with magic in Dresden is just that you're total shifts of a spell is basically the total of two skill rolls plus mental stress, and in Fate's math, a +9 roll is like 10x as good as three +3 hits.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
FAE Question!
Here's a proposed stunt. The character in question is something of a luck-manipulator.

Never Tell Me The Odds!
By spending a Fate point and taking a Minor Consequence related to luck, Chance Heartfire can change the results of another character's roll after the dice are rolled by switching - results to + or vice versa.

Is this overpowered? Underpowered? Should this not cost a FATE point or instead be a once-per-session stunt? Is switching the polarity of rolled results statistically insignificant next to the ability to reroll or add +2 with a FATE point, given that this ability does nothing to blank results?

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It doesn't affect blanks, so something like +□□- for a total of +0 could become +□□+ for a total of +2. Which is a big swing but not a broken one. On the other hand, ++□+ could become --□- and go from +3 to -3.

Maybe instead of "A Fate point and a Minor consequence", the character has to take one shift of stress for each die being flipped? So turning that +□□- into +□□+ would be one shift, and ++□+ to --□- would be three shifts. That might make it a little more balanced for the big swings.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SageNytell posted:

FAE Question!
Here's a proposed stunt. The character in question is something of a luck-manipulator.

Never Tell Me The Odds!
By spending a Fate point and taking a Minor Consequence related to luck, Chance Heartfire can change the results of another character's roll after the dice are rolled by switching - results to + or vice versa.

Is this overpowered? Underpowered? Should this not cost a FATE point or instead be a once-per-session stunt? Is switching the polarity of rolled results statistically insignificant next to the ability to reroll or add +2 with a FATE point?

I'd do this:

By spending a FP, Chance Heartfire can change the results of another character's roll after the dice are rolled by switching - results to + and vice versa.

Rolls of -3, -4. +3 and +4 also require Chance to take a minor consequence related to luck.

An enemy can buy off this effect by spending a FP. If he does, Chance doesn't need to take a consequence.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Could I get the same sort of functional result by giving Chance the ability to let an ally get an automatic +4 once per session in exchange for a fate point and a moderate consequence? Her whole schtick is being hilariously out of place and getting through on sheer (often bad) luck.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Trip report:

First real session went pretty well. The player characters got to have their brush with supernatural forces, and then had to deal with some non-supernatural stuff right after.

I was a little shaky at first with game, and I had to help reinforce the "tell me what you're actually doing" method of play on the D&Ders, who really wanted to just do the old "Right, I try to hitchhike *rolls dice for who knows what*" but overall I think it went really well.

It's Persona, and most of the things that implies. The PCs were on a subway train that got destroyed in an explosion, killing everybody on board. Shortly before that happened, though, they got pulled into some kind of Ghost Train that was carrying the Velvet Room. Igor, the keeper of the Room, explained to them that they were about to get wrapped up in a supernatural conflict to determine the fate of mankind, told them that they were about to develop strange powers, and unceremoniously dumped them back into the physical world, about 100 feet and 8 hours away from the train explosion, in the men's restroom at their destination subway station.

The place was clearly cordoned off by the police, but currently empty, and you could see where the tunnel was collapsed some 20 or 30 feet in. It smelled like smoke and twisted metal. A single cop was standing guard outside, who didn't see them exit, and mostly was just annoyed that they were there. K., a rebellious sort scanning the area for a rock or something to maybe toss at the cop, spotted a notebook stashed behind a garbage can, and thus began a minor clusterfuck that I could never have possibly planned.

K. flipped through the notebook, which was mostly blank. It was front-loaded, though, with a map of the town, marked around where they were standing, and 4 pages of mad bomber manifesto. The manifesto addresses the reader as a Pig, so after a brief gawk at the document with his friends, he handed it off to the cop to see his reaction. The cop could tell it was important evidence regarding the explosion, and excitedly headed to his patrol car to radio it in. Alex, who really wanted to get a better look at that notebook, talked the group into stealing it back. I made it a challenge: Distract the cop, get the notebook, don't get noticed. I gave them one action's worth of additional prep to do, which K. used to secret himself into the back of the patrol car. So, Torero, with his apex Rapport, got the cop talking excitedly about how this piping hot evidence will probably get him a promotion, while Alex went fishing around in the guy's back pocket. He got the notebook and managed to get away from the cop, the challenge was executed perfectly.

At this point, the entire table had to explain to K.'s player that there's really no decent way to get out of a police car's back seat without somebody letting you out, and nobody had actually manifested their supernatural powers yet, so that option was out. It turned out to be secretly advantageous, as it bought Alex some time to stash the notebook in a convenient tree while K. made awkward solicitations for sex to the world's most tolerant police officer back in the car.

Everybody went to McDonald's down the street, because Alex lives on coffee, and I compelled K.'s "I Fought the Law" to give them one more brush with the cop, who realized quite shortly that his star evidence was gone. I was hoping to turn this into a tutorial conflict, with the police officer trying to apprehend these suspicious-rear end teens, while the group tries to get away, but high school drop-out K. shot down the whole situation with a stellar Deceit check, explaining that, "Why would we possibly want your weird notebook? I can't even read."

K.'s uncle finally showed up to give everybody a ride home, and everybody's parents were immensely relieved that their rear end in a top hat kids, who didn't even call, hadn't died horribly in a train explosion. The session wrapped up after the group got a chance to examine the notebook in detail. I made it clear that, while it looks like leather and paper, the whole thing felt kind of tacky and oily in a way that those materials definitely shouldn't. And, on top of that, the manifesto was signed with the simple initials, "H. W.", the same as Harrison White, who Alex and Torero had been instrumental in getting arrested for an attempted school bombing last June. Harrison White, who is supposed to be in jail for like 10 years.

Now to solicit some advice! This is Persona, so my goal is to have it be roughly 50% slice of life, 50% battling evil in the night. The next session opens up with the first day of school for everybody except K., who is a bad influence. I'd like to make the day to day minutia kind of matter, so I'm wondering if I should collaborate with the PCs to kind of give them opportunities to use their everyday lives as sort of structured planning and recovery scenes? It's easy enough to gamify everyday life, where participating in some activities generates Advantages in the ongoing side-game of being a high school student, but I need to hook it into the "real" game, too. As the PCs navigate their everyday lives, should I just give out boosts for excellent rolls, but longer lasting, and just word them in such a way that they could be used in a variety of contexts? It seems like the built in way to do it, eg., "You ace the test. You are Filled With Confidence"; "It seemed like the A/V kids were really glad you showed up today. You were very Handy"; "The shady man slips you a hundo for telling his ex-wife you haven't seen him. You've Got your pockets lined."

I think I'm going to kind of zero in one one scene per player for every day life stuff, with another one or two combined scenes if they're in a group situation. I want to sort of interview the players as I go, and ask questions along the lines of "What is your goal in this line of activities?" or "Why are you participating in this particular club?" to try and fish for story hooks.

It seems like a good way to pick out support characters that people care about, too. They seemed to glom onto that cop from the first session, so I'll probably bring him back. I'm tempted to make him actually the school resource officer, who just got transferred today. He can be the Principal Rooney to the party's Ferris Bueller.

Am I on the right track with that?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I'd just skimp on the Consequence and leave it at a Fate Point's cost. Remember, you're paying an FP up front just to have the stunt and it doesn't do anything unless you spend another. That's like giving up a +4 bonus to a roll or a reroll and +2, which roughly gets you the same benefits as the stunt does. It doesn't need further punishments.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
For school based games, zoom in on the action and put everyone in the same class. (It's just easier for storytelling).

You can do two models: either the event of the day ("there's a SURPRISE QUIZ...but the letters shift around" or "Jackson is beating up Torrez during lunch, what do you do?") or character based ("the new teacher won't stop touching his necktie and drawing Pentagrams" or "Susan finally asked you out...on demon hunting night. How you gonna play this?")

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Golden Bee posted:

For school based games, zoom in on the action and put everyone in the same class. (It's just easier for storytelling).

You can do two models: either the event of the day ("there's a SURPRISE QUIZ...but the letters shift around" or "Jackson is beating up Torrez during lunch, what do you do?") or character based ("the new teacher won't stop touching his necktie and drawing Pentagrams" or "Susan finally asked you out...on demon hunting night. How you gonna play this?")

Yeah, that sounds pretty manageable. I kind of want to spread it to a scene per player, except when it would definitely make sense for multiple party members to be involved, like weekends or afternoons, for fairness' sake because one of the three dropped out of school. I think on any given day, I'll probably hit each of them with a one-off scene like the ones above, and then either give them a new story development or solicit them for other personal objectives, with which they can start a scene to advance their personal situations or further investigate existing story issues.

The player for K., the dropout, made a pretty good suggestion for some of his scenes- one of the regulars at the record store he works at is some kind of burnout who gives unreliable setting exposition in the form of libertarian rants. K.'s also in a band, so I can have him deal with gigs and band drama.

Between K. and Torero, who plays soccer, there's a lot of fodder for weird schedule conflicts as the situation in the city escalates. Torero's parents are also going to be an issue for him, between his helicopter mom and his extremely success-driven dad.

Alex is a bit of an outlyer, being the one with cool parents and mostly internal vices. A lot of his "day job" scenes are probably going to boil down to planning-type scenes, and occasional dealings with assholes due to his low position on the school's social hierarchy.

Thinking out loud ITT :shobon:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is pretty neat: an official random stunt generator. Nothing too fancy, and they state flat-out that you can't just drop them into games without looking at them first, but still it's it's a neat toy.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is pretty neat: an official random stunt generator. Nothing too fancy, and they state flat-out that you can't just drop them into games without looking at them first, but still it's it's a neat toy.

Hmm...

Fate Stuntmaker posted:

Use a specific skill in a way that lets you ignore multiple laws of physics when you pay a fate point, when you invoke the aspect related to the stunt (this costs an invoke or fate point, and replaces the +2 bonus)

I approve.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

GimpInBlack posted:

Hmm...
I approve.
I remember the first time I read Toon's stunt equivalent that let your character saw a tree branch a make the tree fall down and keep the branch afloat and being like "you can do that in RPGs?!"

Thinking about it now, Toon is exactly the kind of game that needs a FAE edition. Heck, it'd be perfect.

I also want to remind everyone that Crimeworld is absolutely fantastic. It's probably the best genre toolkit to come out in recent years for any system. Everyone, go and insert a heist/con episode into your ongoing campaign.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Somehow I feel cheated.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Not generated "Owns a Suitcase Nuke" yet, so I'm still beating the machine :colbert:

Turns out 'beating the machine' was exactly what said nuke was used for.

e:
Honestly, I'd be more interested in a breakdown of the rules it uses than in the random generator. Designing and balancing stunts has been a sore point for me with fate: it feels kinda like "an aspect, but a bit better, but more specific".

I've been tempted to start with an assumption of zero stunts, and let them be taken in exchange for refresh as normal. That is, stunts are 'My character is paying to break the rules in this way.' Phrasing it like that sounds like gimping players, but I've only had one character so far where the player has been "codifying awesome character bits" rather than "making up stuff that kinda fits to fill the free slots".

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 12, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:effort: breakdown of Stunt Generator says:

Actions
Add a +2 opposition to a specific thing (ex. block moving; writing in code)
Add an action to a skill (ex. you can now Attack; now Defend)
Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Fair +2 roll to remove
Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Good +3 roll to remove
Use a specific skill in a way that lets you ignore multiple laws of physics
Grant +3 to a specific action using a specific skill
Grant +2 to a specific action using a specific skill
Grant a stress 2 hit
Ignore a simple rule (ex. can't use a skill twice in a challenge)
Inflict a mild consequence
Switch ANY skill with a specific skill
Upgrade a boost to an aspect (with free invoke)
Use a specific skill in a way that lets you ignore one of the laws of physics (ex. Athletics to fly)

Riders
...for a specific action (Attack, Create an Advantage)
...in a specific circumstance (ex. when you're On Fire; when you're Surrounded)
...once per scene
...replacing a boost, optionally, when you succeed with style for a specific action (Attack, Create an Advantage)
...when you invoke the aspect related to the stunt (this costs an invoke or fate point, and replaces the +2 bonus)
...when you pay a fate point

Notes:
-Most actions have been generated with both one or two riders. One rider is more common, I'm not doing this high-tech enough to spot if specific stunts are more likely to have two riders.

-In my opinion, the generator has only the vaguest balance, and should be viewed as 'source of inspiration' rather than 'GM will accept this by default'. Again, my opinion, but some choices from the list are just plain better than others - I've generated both extremes.
-For the sake of transparency, I should note that I'm biased; I don't like the idea of characters having stunts by default, I think it defeats the point.

e[many]:

I think I broke it. :ohdear:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 12, 2014

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The real problem with that generator is that it's too generic. Stunts can be amazing when you make a good list of them for a specific setting, because it sets the tone and rules for the kind of things Characters are able to do.

If you're making a superhero game you can have really crazy stunts, for instance. "For a FP, transform your body and change all of your physical skills around to represent your new form" could be an option, along with "Spend an FP and cause an EMP" or "Gain a +4 bonus for lifting things". Any of those would be completely crazy in most games, but would be perfect for a four-color supers campaign.

This is the way I personally see Fate, maybe I'm wrong. Stunts just need to be balanced with each other, but the kind of things they allow you to do varies from game to game.

Fate just suffers from the usual "generic system" fault, which is that in order to make everything usable in any game, you end up with a list of very uninspiring abilities.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I kind-of agree - to my mind, stunts not only need to be non-generic, they also need to be non-assumed: for a super-hero game, it makes sense for the characters to have stunts like 'super strength'. But a stunt should be special. By saying 'everyone has three' it stops being special. Maybe 'everyone has one stunt' at most, but even that seems against the whole feel of them being 'stunts' to me.

*ok, they don't have to, but show me anyone who ever didn't take the full free allocation of anything

e: I'm aware I'm splitting hairs here. My ideal would be "5 refresh, no stunts, spend refresh for stunts like normal", hardly a big deal.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 12, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

petrol blue posted:

I kind-of agree - to my mind, stunts not only need to be non-generic, they also need to be non-assumed: for a super-hero game, it makes sense for the characters to have stunts like 'super strength'. But a stunt should be special. By saying 'everyone has three' it stops being special. Maybe 'everyone has one stunt' at most, but even that seems against the whole feel of them being 'stunts' to me.

*ok, they don't have to, but show me anyone who ever didn't take the full free allocation of anything

Counterpoint: In games before Fate Core came out I don't think I ever saw anyone with less than three stunts anyway.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
I very strongly disagree with that - just look at Dresden RPG for how the whole 'no base stunts' thing works out for ya (hint, not very, even with an FP bonus). Characters need schticks and Stunts provide that. That doesn't mean characters shouldn't probably have one Signature Stunt anyways that is more powerful than the norm, just to define that yes, this is the THING that you do. The example that's coming to mind right now is a shapeshifter I played. He had a Shapeshifter stunt that let him automatically, perfectly assume any human guise, no matter how unusual (think Mystique, minus clothes copying), at will, then a second stunt that let him fill in a free stunt for the scene at the cost of any two of a minor consequence, compel or FP, based on sprouting wings, making his hands into keys, emitting pheromones or any other superhuman changes. Having a tailormade stunt for every scene is very powerful, but this is sort of the character's Thing. It only makes sense that it is. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm not saying 'more stunts are worse', but that 'assuming every PC has stunts' is worse. Coming from Diaspora as my first FATE game (10 aspects, 3 stunts, 3 stress tracks per character, another 5 aspects, 3 stunts, separate minigame for their ship), I've been very impressed by Core's slimming-down approach, and just want to see how far it will go before being too few 'things' on a character, then add them back in if they're missed.

e:

Transient People posted:

He had a Shapeshifter stunt that let him automatically, perfectly assume any human guise, no matter how unusual (think Mystique, minus clothes copying), at will

I totally agree, but in that sort of game I'd have done this as an aspect - I absolutely agree that everyone should have their thing, but that's what the high concept aspect is for imo (if it's the sort of power that's standard in the setting). I guess it depends on the GM as to whether it's an aspect or a stunt.

Thing is, these are still examples of superpowers. I have no problem with superpowers at all, but if you tell players that every character will have superpowers, they become kinda less super.

e[fivethousand]:
You mention Dresden Files - I've not played that one, so could you be more specific about how it works out in practice? I'm willing to accept that my theory doesn't stand up to actual play. Having said that, I can't think of a Dresden Files character who doesn't have at least one stunt. High concept: SKELETAL T-REX :v:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 12, 2014

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

petrol blue posted:

I totally agree, but in that sort of game I'd have done this as an aspect - I absolutely agree that everyone should have their thing, but that's what the high concept aspect is for imo. I guess it depends on the GM as to whether it's an aspect or a stunt.

Yeah, having that as an extra effect from their High Concept makes sense, but that's once again related to the premise of the game. If it's a high power, supernatural setting, maybe you'd rather treat those kind of things as stunts that can be gained in the game without changing your character so much as changing your high concept would.

It also depends on your character. To use a nerd example, maybe Beast Boy would have "Teenage shapeshifter" as his high aspect, and power, since his power defines him quite a lot. But Martian Manhunter would probably have a list of stunts with a bunch of crazy poo poo in it, and his High Concept would be a more open "Last surviving martian". His powers don't define him as much, and are instead a bunch of things he can do.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Hugoon Chavez posted:

His powers don't define him as much, and are instead a bunch of things he can do.
Ooh, I really like that: I had a big spiel ready to go about the difference between a stunt and an aspect, but I think you've just solved it!

e: soundbites are cool, right? posted:

Aspect = I am
Stunt = I can

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 12, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

petrol blue posted:

Ooh, I really like that: I had a big spiel ready to go about the difference between a stunt and an aspect, but I think you've just solved it!

I had a giant spiel ready, too :shobon:

I would augment

Hugoon Chavez posted:

His powers don't define him as much, and are instead a bunch of things he can do.

by saying that it seems like Stunts always have a specific mechanical effect associated with them, which either augments, modifies, or creates a game mechanic. Whereas Aspects are more fiction-based, an enable a character to handle a situation in a way that other characters might not be able to in general.

So, you always need a Stunt to use Craft as an attack skill, but an Aspect might give you permission to use Craft in a largely augmented way, such as the wizard who is "A Master Conjurer", who can summon an object in a moment that would take hours or days to make the old-fashioned way.

But yeah, the Martian Manhunter is a good example, because you can word your stunts in a way that imply certain powers. "Psychic": +2 to Investigate by reading a suspect's mind. This implies that the Manhunter can read minds anyway, but he's especially good at doing so to uncover secrets.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My wife has expressed an interest in trying a PnP RPG with me, after 11 years. My current game is Shadowrun, which I think might be the worst possible game that exists for a RPG newcomer.

Would FATE be good, or does it rely too much on the players, who might be a bit tentative and shy? Also, is it easy to switch campaign types and make the game extremely episodic IE, Dresden Files one week, and Superheros the next?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Episodic campaigns within genres are very simple with FATE.
Switching entire genres? You're probably going to be creating a new pickup game for each session.
If you want a pickup game every time, try FATE Accelerated Edition. Base book is free and it's only about 25 pages long, it's good for pickup games and it's just fun. Compels on aspects give you ways to guide players if necessary, and character aspects are a great way to spell out a character's personality and some of their abilities for a new player.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The other advantage of one-offs is that they let you dabble in lots of styles of game and try different PCs without feeling pressured to "get it right".

Not that you'd pressure her, just that she might pressure herself.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
OK. I think I am going to go ahead and try Fate Accelerated, then. It looks perfect. Thanks guys.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

petrol blue posted:

I'm not saying 'more stunts are worse', but that 'assuming every PC has stunts' is worse. Coming from Diaspora as my first FATE game (10 aspects, 3 stunts, 3 stress tracks per character, another 5 aspects, 3 stunts, separate minigame for their ship), I've been very impressed by Core's slimming-down approach, and just want to see how far it will go before being too few 'things' on a character, then add them back in if they're missed.

e:

I totally agree, but in that sort of game I'd have done this as an aspect - I absolutely agree that everyone should have their thing, but that's what the high concept aspect is for imo (if it's the sort of power that's standard in the setting). I guess it depends on the GM as to whether it's an aspect or a stunt.

Thing is, these are still examples of superpowers. I have no problem with superpowers at all, but if you tell players that every character will have superpowers, they become kinda less super.

e[fivethousand]:
You mention Dresden Files - I've not played that one, so could you be more specific about how it works out in practice? I'm willing to accept that my theory doesn't stand up to actual play. Having said that, I can't think of a Dresden Files character who doesn't have at least one stunt. High concept: SKELETAL T-REX :v:

This wasn't the standard, though. The Shapeshifter's party was a young woman duelist wearing a mask to hide her burnt face, and an even younger magistrate tasked with managing a province. They all had their signature stunts, but only she shapeshifter's was a supernatural power. Didn't stop each of them from being worth about the same. I don't buy into the Syndrome Theory of specialness, doubly so in a game like FATE. I brought up DFRPG for this very reason: In Dresden, Powers are supernatural and great, you get +2 Refresh if you have none, and Stunts are uniformly loving terrible, to the point of most of them not being worth the Fate Point you're trading away. Thus, Pure Mortals just want to have no stunts and hoard up tons of refresh so they can plunk down 10 FP in a scene that matters to them, if they have to, a practice known as 'FP bombing'. This is seriously fuckin' dull and it causes the GM lots of trouble as refresh increases, because he has to deplete an absolutely inexhaustible stock of Fate Points to make anything be a challenge. It's what happens when you don't allow everybody to be 'Super' in their own ways and try to limit them to mundane choices (like stunts that have half of Core's power). Batman shouldn't be weaker than Superman, he should just have his Thing of World's Greatest Detective/Dark Knight be as good as Last Son of Krypton is.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just bought the fate Accelerated rules and I am trying to figure them out.

If you take your action to gain a boon or create a new aspect or whatever, when does it take effect?

Say, the room has the Dark aspect. You choose to use the darkness to cover your attack, thus getting a bonus to your attack roll. You would have to wait until next turn to actually attack, right?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

The Dregs posted:

If you take your action to gain a boon or create a new aspect or whatever, when does it take effect?

Say, the room has the Dark aspect. You choose to use the darkness to cover your attack, thus getting a bonus to your attack roll. You would have to wait until next turn to actually attack, right?

When you just take advantage of an existing aspect to aid your action (in this case, the attack), it's called invoking that aspect and it's instantaneous. So, no. Your action this turn is "attacking", and you spend a fate point to use the Dark aspect to make it more effective.

Now, if the room is lit and you, say, shoot the lamps to make it dark, what your character is doing is "creating an advantage". If successful, the room becomes dark and gains the aspect dark (notice that these are two different things). The effect is instantaneous as well: the aspect is created immediately. However, you spent your character's turn and will have to wait until the next one to act. If you have a free invoke on the dark aspect because of a successful "create an advantage" action, you have to wait until the next turn to use it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

The Dregs posted:

If the room has the "Dark" aspect pre-existing, you can "invoke" the aspect--that is, add +2 to your roll, or reroll your dice--at the same time as your attack by spending a Fate Point.

If you have to do something to make the room dark--say, shooting out the lights--then that creation of the aspect ("Create Advantage" in game terms) takes a turn, and next turn you can use it to attack. Depending on how you created the aspect, it may come with a "free invoke"--you can take +2 or reroll without having to spend a Fate Point.

e: ^^^^ bastard! :argh:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

If you shoot out the lights and make the room Dark, does it stay dark after you use the boost on an action?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

If you shoot out the lights and make the room Dark, does it stay dark after you use the boost on an action?

Absolutely.

The crucial, hardest thing to understand about FATE is that its rules – that is, Aspects, Stunts, Skills, and Stress Tracks – describe the world of the characters but do not define it. When your character shoots out a light, he's shooting out a light. In the character's world, that light is shot. In the players' world, that event is described through an aspect, which the players can then use to their advantage. However, when that aspect is discarded in the players' world, the lights remain shot in the character's world, because of course after you shoot a light it doesn't come back on. Unless someone takes an action to repair the lights or something.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Jack the Lad posted:

I would agree with Cyphoderus in that it's still dark, it just no longer grants a bonus because everyone is used to the dark/has their night vision out after the invoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

I would agree with Cyphoderus in that it's still dark, it just no longer grants a bonus

It actually still grants a bonus, you just need to pay a FP to use it - it's a situation aspect and won't go away until it makes sense for it to go away, so subsequent people can invoke it.