Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chaotic Neutral posted:

What? No it's not, not by a large margin, not even on 0 magic defense targets. -ra spells are power 50 vs -gas at power 185. Even if -ra spells had power 100, dualcast would still lose out on anything with a magic defense value.

You're forgetting about Rod boosting, which brings it up to 75, so a Rod boosted Dualcasted spell is around 150 Power, stronger then base Aeroga.

And very few enemies have any magic defense worth nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

You're forgetting about Rod boosting, which brings it up to 75, so a Rod boosted Dualcasted spell is around 150 Power, stronger then base Aeroga.

And very few enemies have any magic defense worth nothing.

Yeah, but it's not better than air knife boosted aeroga, which sucks rear end as a main offense option in the first place.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
You can rod boost -agas too! That's more a point in their favor. Knife boosting if it's Aeros, but big deal.

And when I say 'worth noting', I really mean 'better than 20'.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

When you have a mage who needs spammable mp recovery. !dance can do it but isn't reliable.
Like yeah Lancet exists, but are there actually any battles where dedicating an ability slot to MP recovery will save your rear end instead of getting status immunities and just using your consumables?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Chaotic Neutral posted:

What? No it's not, not by a large margin, not even on 0 magic defense targets. -ra spells are power 50 vs -gas at power 185. Even if -ra spells had power 100, dualcast would still lose out on anything with a magic defense value.

E: As for the rest, the problem is that every other Water job is better at damage, and all of them except Berserker bring similar or better utility.

Oh shoot your right. I'm remembering some game where that is true, but now I can't tell which one it is.

Cerulean
Oct 29, 2013
This'll be my first time doing this too. I love FFV so this should be an interesting new way to play it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Chaotic Neutral posted:

You can rod boost -agas too! That's more a point in their favor. Knife boosting if it's Aeros, but big deal.

You can rod boost Wind too; the Magus Rod doesn't boost Water (and Holy).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dragonatrix posted:

If you have both, you can give Dragoon the Maneater to do insane jumps. Which isn't possible here, so uh... I guess never as far as the fiesta is concerned.

Edit: wait, no, the Maneater doesn't count as Dancer equipment. Just need Dragoon for that. Still that's only at the very end of the game. Not worth dragging through the rest

Maneater is Dancer equipment, and is one of the four items that Equip Ribbon allows non-Dancers to equip.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

Oh shoot your right. I'm remembering some game where that is true, but now I can't tell which one it is.

Probably the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games. Dualcast is arguably even more ridiculous there than it is here since it doesn't need synergy to be absurd.

Also regarding the Dancer/Dragoon debate, can we all agree that we're trying to compare the glassest cannon to an uninteresting meatsack and leave it at that apples and oranges point? Dancer has game-worst Vitality/HP, Dragoon has all of the :geno: of Knights with none of the utility or knight swords, they're both loving terrible compared to the other two gamebreaking Earth Crystal jobs.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 13, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

Probably the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games. Dualcast is arguably even more ridiculous there than it is here since it doesn't need synergy to be absurd.

Also regarding the Dancer/Dragoon debate, can we all agree that we're trying to compare the glassest cannon to an uninteresting meatsack and leave it at that apples and oranges point? Dancer has game-worst Vitality/HP, Dragoon has all of the :geno: of Knights with none of the utility or knight swords, they're both loving terrible compared to the other two gamebreaking Earth Crystal jobs.

Dancer's worse because it's random. Dragoon is reliably :geno:.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Dancer is amazing because it has the best outfits.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dancer's worse because it's random. Dragoon is reliably :geno:.

Counterpoint:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Sword Dance is way too strong for Dancer to be worse than Dragoon, even without Sword Dance Up. Doubling attack and multiplier makes it guaranteed to be a heavy hitter as soon as you get access to it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Personally, I think Faris has a better Dancer sprite than Bartz.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bellmaker posted:

Counterpoint:

We have a winner.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

W.T. Fits posted:

Personally, I think Faris has a better Dancer sprite than Bartz.

The trouble with Dancer Faris is that Faris has the best sprite for way more classes than Bartz anyway (Knight, Thief, Summoner, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Bard...)

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.
I have never played this game and have just registered for the fiesta :getin:

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Honestly, the first question in the OP ought to be "I haven't played this game before, what do? Sign up anyway because this game is cool"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Che Delilas posted:

We have a winner.

Supporting point for the counterpoint:

Heatwizard posted:

Honestly, the first question in the OP ought to be "I haven't played this game before, what do? Sign up anyway because this game is cool"

Good call.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Sword Dance is way too strong for Dancer to be worse than Dragoon, even without Sword Dance Up. Doubling attack and multiplier makes it guaranteed to be a heavy hitter as soon as you get access to it.

See, the thing is, is that it basically comes out, in practice, as a 4x damage attack. Until you get the Dancer-specific gear (which isn't until you can do Phoenix Tower, I believe, unless you have a Thief?) you are doing that 4x damage attack approximately 25% of the time, with the other three results being much less efficient (or worthless - Tempting Tango doesn't do poo poo to bosses, the two draining skills are actively detrimental against undead).

So ultimately, it comes out to a wash for most of the game, with the chance that the RNG will show mercy on you.

Really, there's only one reason to say that Dancer is better than Dragoon, and that reason is this:

Bellmaker posted:

Counterpoint:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Sword Dance is affected by row, which means that unless the Dancer is up front it's really not as powerful as everyone claims. And if your Dancer is in the front row in boss fights with powerful single target physical hits (like Exdeath), he'll be eating dirt most of the time, because Dancers have the worst HP in the game and can't equip shields.

I actually used to like Dancer, and I grew to despise it after rolling one in a bad Fiesta party.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Y'all be forgetting how stupidly loving good ribbons are.

code:
ARMOUR: Ribbon
DEFENSE: 12                   MAGIC DEFENSE: 2
EVADE%: 0                     MAGIC EVADE%: 5
WEIGHT: 2                     PRICE: 2
STATS: Strength+5, Agility+5, Vitality+5, Magic Power+5
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: 
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: 
ELEMENTAL HALF: 
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: 
INTIAL STATUS: 
STATUS IMMUNITY: Dead, Stone, Toad, Poison, Darkness, Aging, Berserk, Mute
That is a really loving good piece of headgear.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I have had multiple runs where Dancer was my most reliable source of damage and boss-killing (sad as that is). I don't think I've had a run where a meatsack that's never around to absorb hits has been the crux of my team. Jump was useful for Exdeath one time and that's it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

code:
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: 
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: 
ELEMENTAL HALF: 
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: 
INTIAL STATUS: 

Also rainbow suit is really good too

code:
ARMOUR: Rainbow Suit
DEFENSE: 18               MAGIC DEFENSE: 3
EVADE%: 0                  MAGIC EVADE%: 4
WEIGHT: 3                     PRICE: 5800
STATS:
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: 
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: 
ELEMENTAL HALF: 
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: 
INTIAL STATUS: 
STATUS IMMUNITY: Charm
It is really lightweight and has great defense.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

code:
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: 
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: 
ELEMENTAL HALF: 
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: 
INTIAL STATUS: 

Man, I love me some Dancers and still forgot about those wonderful stats. Hope I roll one after I finish my Classic run this year :)

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Frankly I'm inclined to agree that ribbons are, effectively, rear end-slappingly good. Immunity to effectively all status effects that matter? Yes plz I enjoy having my cake and eating it too yum yum.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You people are talking like you never put Final Fantasy Ribbons on every single character who can equip them and just stick to Hermes Sandals because gottagofast.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ribbons are amazing, just like they are in every single Final Fantasy game.

Pity the only classes that can equip them respectively get oneshot by physical attacks and are illegal in the 4JF!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gologle posted:

You people are talking like you never put Final Fantasy Ribbons on every single character who can equip them and just stick to Hermes Sandals because gottagofast.

The discussion isn't about the obvious status defenses. It's about how it's still a completely ridiculous helmet without them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, even without the status immunity, Ribbons grant +5 to all your stats, have the defense of a late-game helm, and weigh practically nothing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ribbons mean you can completely ignore the Grand Cross part of Neo-Exdeath.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gologle posted:

You can do both; Ribbons are helmets.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Pity the only classes that can equip them respectively get oneshot by physical attacks and are illegal in the 4JF!

Dancer. Freelancer. Anything with Equip Ribbon. None of that is barred; you have to Job Fair to get Freelancer but that's it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Ribbons mean you can completely ignore the Grand Cross part of Neo-Exdeath.

Ehhh, I wouldn't say that. You can still be Zombied, Minied, Paralyzed, Confused...

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

Dive straight into the Fiesta like a boss. This thread will be able to carry you to victory.

Okay, so gently caress my common sense, I will go ahead and try this as my first FFV run ever. :getin:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

With the talk if worst combinations of classes, it got me wondering about the best classes. I get the idea that lots of class combinations can completely break the game. Are there any classes that can carry the game just by themselves? Like if you get a specific class, you know the game will be a cakewalk, no matter what the other classes you are assigned?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Orvin posted:

With the talk if worst combinations of classes, it got me wondering about the best classes. I get the idea that lots of class combinations can completely break the game. Are there any classes that can carry the game just by themselves? Like if you get a specific class, you know the game will be a cakewalk, no matter what the other classes you are assigned?

Chemist, Blue Mage, Summoner, probably Black Mage. Maybe Mystic Knight and Archer.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Blue Mage and Summoner are common calls. Chemist can carry you through literally every boss fight, too, but it takes a little effort.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Forgot Samurai on the maybe list.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Most of the ones I'd pick were said already, though I'd definitely put Mystic Knight on because it's real good at the toolbox solution: if you are weak to something or have a status vulnerability, he will find it. Additionally, I'd add Samurai if you're willing to throw money at problems you can't get by any other way. (I hate doing that because I'm cheap.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Last year I got Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Chemist for my second run. I can't think of a better team, except maybe a Summoner in place of the MK. My completion time was about 10 hours faster than my first run of Black Mage, MK, Ranger, Dancer.

• Locked thread