Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I'd to have loved to see that.

Goblin trying to catch Carol and she just beating the crap out of him.

The dates were pretty amusing, i liked how they went to a fancy place people they wanted to impress each other, but decided to go for Chili Dogs instead. I guess that was before everyone in the MU ate Tacos perpetually.

KSD really seems to have a firm grasp of Carols relationship with other heroes, which is why I'm kinda upset that she's off planet now. I wanted more Carol and Jess Super Gal Pal adventures.

In the latest issue they have actually formed her supporting cast(not the GotG) and I'm really digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

She-Hulk looked like the Rugrats this week. Whose idea was that?!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Senor Candle posted:

In the latest issue they have actually formed her supporting cast(not the GotG) and I'm really digging it.

Yea, I'm interested in seeing where that goes. The horned guys make me think of Saga though. I do like Jackie though.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Howards Bellend posted:

Some of the perspectives were weird but I liked that the faces didn't totally weird me out.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Just saw a friend instagram an avengers cover with a Sentry/Superman knockoff called Sun God. Really Marvel, you needed another one? So what's the story on this guy?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sublyme posted:

Just saw a friend instagram an avengers cover with a Sentry/Superman knockoff called Sun God. Really Marvel, you needed another one? So what's the story on this guy?

He's just basically a Superman on an alternate Earth. He's not a long term character though, just one that's popped up for a couple issues in this particular storyline. He'll probably be dead in the very near future.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sublyme posted:

This arc of New Avengers has the Avengers fighting what is essentially the Justice League with different names. Batman is The Rider. It's presumably just for these few issues.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
To be fair to Hickman, Hyperion/Sentry/Gladiator/Virtue all come with a lot of baggage, and the Great Society are supposed to be good beyond reproach. So it made sense for him to create another Superman/JLA ripoff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's like 10 Hyperions, including one Hickman created himself who is, last time I checked, baggage-free. This saturation of Supermen could have been avoided.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

It's been 80 years since Superman was created. The saturation's happened. A few more isn't going to hurt.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I finally got around to reading the new Captain Marvel #1, and quite enjoyed it. I just have to catch up on the next 3 issues now. :v:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

There's like 10 Hyperions, including one Hickman created himself who is, last time I checked, baggage-free. This saturation of Supermen could have been avoided.

The best known versions of Squadron Supreme are fascists antiheroes. If we've already read decades of alternate Great Societies acting like jerks, the conflict wouldn't be as profound.

Marvel Zombies actually had an Avengers team of Sentry, Moon Knight, Thundra, Quasar, Quicksilver, Namor and Super Skrull.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sublyme posted:

Cannon fodder.

edit since you seem so pissy about it:
New Avengers' whole thing is alternate earths are colliding with each other, and either both are destroyed, or one of the two is destroyed (saving the other, but that doesn't prevent another incursion down the road). For awhile, Reed and the rest of the Illuminati have been watching to see how other earths are faring/dealing with their own respective incursions. Well, turns out, almost everyone fails. These have all been standard Alternate Marvel U's, with standard alternate versions of All Your Marvel Favorites. And they've all been destroyed. Now, though, they've discovered an Earth whose heroes are not Alt-Marvels, but Alt-Justice Leaguers, led by Sun God, the optimistic Superman stand-in, and they have successfully saved their earth 3 times. But now their earth is incursion-ing (?) with the 616 Marvel earth.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 13, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It could have easily been avoided if he just told a different story.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Howards Bellend posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the current look compared to the '04-'05 runs but the art in #5 looked horrible, like it was done in marker pens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

USAToday, of all places has an article on AXIS. It's going to be a nine issue series and it's basically Red Skull as Onslaught.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a new series called Young Guns or is that something because the people working on it are all newer Marvel artists and writers?

If its a new team, its weird that its pretty much the Uncanny Avengers mutants with Magneto.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a new series called Young Guns or is that something because the people working on it are all newer Marvel artists and writers?

If its a new team, its weird that its pretty much the Uncanny Avengers mutants with Magneto.

"Young Guns" is what Marvel calls their yearly crop of new talent.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Huh so there's that whole Spider-Verse thing and the writer of one of the issues is/was the singer of My Chemical Romance. I dunno why but I find that fairly interesting. The premise seems like it could go either way though. Although, it seems very anime-esque.

Article here

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Elucidarius posted:

Huh so there's that whole Spider-Verse thing and the writer of one of the issues is/was the singer of My Chemical Romance. I dunno why but I find that fairly interesting. The premise seems like it could go either way though. Although, it seems very anime-esque.

Article here

He wrote a comic called the Umbrella Academy that was really good a few years ago. You should check it out.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

zoux posted:

USAToday, of all places has an article on AXIS. It's going to be a nine issue series and it's basically Red Skull as Onslaught.

This has been pretty obviously coming since the first issue of Uncanny Avengers.

Edit: Has it been explained how Red Skull came back to life (again) yet?

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 13, 2014

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
This one is an old back-up clone, I believe? Could be totally wrong though, I haven't read the beginning of Uncanny Avengers in forever.

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I'd to have loved to see that.

Goblin trying to catch Carol and she just beating the crap out of him.

The dates were pretty amusing, i liked how they went to a fancy place people they wanted to impress each other, but decided to go for Chili Dogs instead. I guess that was before everyone in the MU ate Tacos perpetually.

KSD really seems to have a firm grasp of Carols relationship with other heroes, which is why I'm kinda upset that she's off planet now. I wanted more Carol and Jess Super Gal Pal adventures.

Peter Parker has always been shown to have a serious love for NYC cart hotdogs. Off the top of my head I know he has shared them with Franklin Richards and Loki. (Loki loving them was pretty funny)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bad_trotsky posted:

Peter Parker has always been shown to have a serious love for NYC cart hotdogs. Off the top of my head I know he has shared them with Franklin Richards and Loki. (Loki loving them was pretty funny)

Also Deadpool.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

bad_trotsky posted:

Why wouldn't the God of Mischief love mankind's greatest trick?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Looks like Remender may not have been allowed to use Green Goblin in Axis like he planned, because the solicitation has been changed to say Hobgoblin and they did a super half-assed recolor of the cover.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 14, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't see that cover. drat, Loki going back to being a actual bad guy rather than just kinda a self centered jerk?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Loki is always a bad guy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't see that cover. drat, Loki going back to being a actual bad guy rather than just kinda a self centered jerk?

Loki's own book ties into it, so this is probably him doing his Loki thing and playing both sides to get something he wants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Namor and Emma Frost were on Norman Osborne's evil illuminati (in any other sentence that should be redundant), and they have still been mostly heros since.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Dacap posted:

Looks like Remender may not have been allowed to use Green Goblin in Axis like he planned, because the solicitation has been changed to say Hobgoblin and they did a super half-assed recolor of the cover.

The original version of that is on the back of Previews this month and I swear to god up until that recolor I thought it was the Super Skrull, which is honestly even weirder than Hobgoblin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't adequately express how terrible an idea it is to have Carnage on your team.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Lurdiak posted:

I can't adequately express how terrible an idea it is to have Carnage on your team.

What could possibly go wrARGH MY ORGANS!

On another note, seeing that Remender is going to be writing Deadpool and Evan in this, I really hope we see Deadpool end up in a protector role here. Remender nailed Deadpool in Uncanny X-Force, and I loved his bits with Evan and being the one to counter killing the kid to begin with.

Edit: Another thought on Carnage: Maybe he's being controlled (or at least corralled) with Xavier's telepathy. If so, I'm sure that will work out just as well in the end.

Also, does anyone else look at the event logo and see "sixis"?

Madrox fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 14, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

When the Joker got intentionally left off a team, it ended with the leader shot dead in a back ally.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Lurdiak posted:

Actually, I can't think of any of them who I'd want on my team.

Sabretooth is almost as bad as Carnage, Dr Doom and Red Skull would just be biding their time before they betrayed each other/everyone else, Loki is Loki and then when you had Norman it added a batshit insane person.

I can't really comment on the Hobgoblin, because I don't even know who he is or what he adds. Carnage is already the wildcard and a dude with a glider and some bombs doesn't add much to the team.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elucidarius posted:

Article here

Gerard Way's history with comic books is kind of funny. He actually went to college with the intention of getting into the comic book industry but had problems breaking in. He then got a job at Cartoon Network but after 9/11 he decided that life was too short and went after his other dream, which was music. Then it turns out that after he became a famous rock star he was able to go back to comic books.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madrox posted:

What could possibly go wrARGH MY ORGANS!

On another note, seeing that Remender is going to be writing Deadpool and Evan in this, I really hope we see Deadpool end up in a protector role here. Remender nailed Deadpool in Uncanny X-Force, and I loved his bits with Evan and being the one to counter killing the kid to begin with.

The only thing I'm excited about at all with this is Deadpool's inclusion in a main role.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
That Carnage always looks like he's wearing a weird bondage mask to me. Also Sabretooth's weird catface moustache thing. He looks like he's gearing up to play Rum Tum Tugger.

A little behind, but oh man did I want the Carol/Peter thing to work out. Holy crap. Spider-man having a girlfriend that's borderline invincible (compared to his usual rogues gallery, anyway) would solve so many problems, and open the door for so much fresh storytelling that doesn't involve the usual mopey "I can't love her, the Goblin might get her ablublublu." Or the ever favorite alternative "I had to miss this date, but I couldn't explain why to her ablublublu." Like, I overlooked some of the really awful writing during Superior because at least they were trying something different. Spider-man & Ms. Marvel: Power Couple would have been so cool, aghhh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

That Carnage always looks like he's wearing a weird bondage mask to me. Also Sabretooth's weird catface moustache thing. He looks like he's gearing up to play Rum Tum Tugger.

A little behind, but oh man did I want the Carol/Peter thing to work out. Holy crap. Spider-man having a girlfriend that's borderline invincible (compared to his usual rogues gallery, anyway) would solve so many problems, and open the door for so much fresh storytelling that doesn't involve the usual mopey "I can't love her, the Goblin might get her ablublublu." Or the ever favorite alternative "I had to miss this date, but I couldn't explain why to her ablublublu." Like, I overlooked some of the really awful writing during Superior because at least they were trying something different. Spider-man & Ms. Marvel: Power Couple would have been so cool, aghhh.

It also subverts the gender dynamic inherent in most super hero romances, it tends to be about whether or not the guy can adequately protect the girl (when it's a super powered woman and a normal guy the tension is often whether or not her job gets in the way of dating, see also every tv show about women professionals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So he's Red Onslaught now?

• Locked thread