Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Stealth Train is a very clever adventure and an amazing journey. Inwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So it's awfully nice that Paranoia is the Bundle of Holding this week, but ...

Well, Paranoia is awesome, so the rules and basics are good to have. And adventures are always nice, too.

But campaign sourcebooks just seem like a waste. Has anyone run a Paranoia campaign where such a thing would be at all helpful? Because all I really use it for are (hilarious, awesome, fun, unforgettable) one-shots.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've just cherry picked scenes from the campaign material for individual one-shots. But a Paranoia campaign could actually work really well if you focus on one sector or service group and a revolving cast of player characters, just the setting and NPCs are constants instead of the players.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

XP actually has a lot of useful advice about making Paranoia "campaignable" by adjusting the game's tone. It lists out three playstyles (Zap!, Classic, and Straight) designed for different sorts of play.

"Zap!" is how most people imagine Paranoia is played (everyone shoots everyone at the drop of a hat, terrible puns, cartoon logic and slapstick). It's more for one-shots, and is how most people play Paranoia the first time.

"Classic" is a little more controlled. People pay more attention to the setting, actually try to complete missions, and termination is something that happens when you get enough Treason Points instead of mentioning a tree out-of-character. Basically more satire than slapstick, and is the default/assumed playstyle.

"Straight" is basically Paranoia without the heavy humor. There's little to no comic relief, so the oppressive and paranoid culture doesn't have anything to break it up. This is probably the most long-term style since there's a greater focus on gathering evidence on traitors, blackmail, and politicking.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Straight is pretty much dark satire when played right; it can also be a bit of a mindfuck for the players. I ran a group through Hunger from WMD (RPGnet review with spoilers here). The situation spiralled out of control just how the mission predicted.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I gotta say that even if you aren't able to get a game of Paranoia out soon, it is a very worthwhile read. For instance,

This spoiler is for individuals with Ultraviolet clearance ONLY. Looking at this spoiler without the proper credentials is TREASON.
I laughed pretty hard at the surveillance chart that tells you how much various areas are monitored, and above everything else is the bathrooms. The bathrooms are the most heavily monitored places in Alpha Complex.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rusty Kettle posted:

I gotta say that even if you aren't able to get a game of Paranoia out soon, it is a very worthwhile read. For instance,

This spoiler is for individuals with Ultraviolet clearance ONLY. Looking at this spoiler without the proper credentials is TREASON.
I laughed pretty hard at the surveillance chart that tells you how much various areas are monitored, and above everything else is the bathrooms. The bathrooms are the most heavily monitored places in Alpha Complex.

The very first game of Paranoia I played, the first multi-fatality intra-party fight was in the bathroom. Almost everyone died.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Also, no joke, the adventure in Paranoia XP (Mr. Bubbles) is probably my favorite ever.
And yeah, I know there's rules for campaign play in Paranoia. I was just wondering if anyone actually did it. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, this happened:

waderockett posted:

On the heels of an impromptu Twitter dustup between me, @13thAge and the Dungeon Bastard, we're offering 13th Age at $13 today at DriveThruRPG: http://www.dtrpg.com/browse.php?discount=9300c67d68. This discount expires on the 14th.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Also, to celebrate Friday the 13th, Accursed (Savage Worlds campaign setting) and all of its sourcebooks are 39% off: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?cPath=19839_19846&src=dtrpgsaleguide

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Paranoia BoH added a few more books:

Service, Service: Everything you ever wanted to know about Service Groups.

Extreme Paranoia: Playing at higher security clearances.

WMB: A collection of Straight missions. Includes "Hunger", which may be the darkest Paranoia adventure I've ever read.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Today is Free RPG Day! Head on down to your local retailer (found right here) and grab some sweet sweet swag.

This years offerings:
  • Pathfinder - Risen from the Sands adventure
  • Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Ranzak goblin
  • Cosmic Patrol - quick start rules
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics - adventure
  • Shadowrun / Battletech - quickstart rules
  • Q Workshop - Fudge Dice!
  • Valiant - quickstart rules (superhero stuff)
  • Chessex - Free RPG Day d6
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess - Doom Cave of the Crystal Headed Chicken adventure. Probably full of rape.
  • Mage: the Ascension - quickstart rules
  • 13th Age - Make Your Own Luck adventure
  • Mesozoic Mayhem - a CYOA book about time traveling dinosaurs
  • Castles & Crusades - adventure
  • Blue Panther collapsible dice tower
  • Godsfall - quickstart rules
  • 8x8 gripmat sample

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The 4th Annual Wayne Foundation Charity Bundle has launched. $242 of RPG, comics, MP3s, and fiction for $20, and the proceeds go to help fight against the sexual exploitation and trafficking of children.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 22, 2014

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The 4th Annual Wayne Foundation Charity Bundle has launched. $242 of RPG, comics, MP3s, and fiction for $20, and the proceeds go to help fight against the sexual exploration and trafficking of children.

I'm not seeing where the $242 comes from given that almost everything in the bundle is listed as having a regular price between free and $5, skewing towards the low end of the scale.

Edit: Actually, now that I look at a couple of affiliated items, maybe there's some bigger ticket items coming as part of the "remnants" listings? I guess that might explain that. It's...still not clear what they are, though. Maybe check back later.

Of what -is- listed, I can recommend the Don't Rest Your Head fiction collection, and have no idea about anything else on the list.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

After seventy-six percent of the world’s population was destroyed, the two remaining nation states of Europe and Japan had joined together as one unified government and set to the task of repopulating the Earth.

Birth control was outlawed along with many major taboos and the survivors set to their task with reckless abandon.

Jesus. When they're arranging these things, do they just hold a bag open and hope that someone won't inevitably take a dump in it?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

Jesus. When they're arranging these things, do they just hold a bag open and hope that someone won't inevitably take a dump in it?

What product is that? Sounds ripe for a FATAL and friends review.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The 4th Annual Wayne Foundation Charity Bundle has launched. $242 of RPG, comics, MP3s, and fiction for $20, and the proceeds go to help fight against the sexual exploration and trafficking of children.

I am assuming you mean "exploitation"?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We pay people to just burst into middle school class rooms and shout "DON'T FUCKIN JERK OFF"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

homullus posted:

I am assuming you mean "exploitation"?

...well, poo poo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tatum Girlparts posted:

We pay people to just burst into middle school class rooms and shout "DON'T FUCKIN JERK OFF"

You've clearly been to a religious school, then.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My catholic school told us of the health benefits associated with masturbation. It was just premarital sex that they were super down on.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

PresidentBeard posted:

What product is that? Sounds ripe for a FATAL and friends review.

That would be the bafflingly named The Schwartzentoten-Moonbeam Device, which seems to be somebody's lovely fic and fortunately not an actual RPG. Still looks to be in the bundle, despite no longer showing in the main listing, oddly enough.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Things that are good in this bundle:

Argyle & Crew: A RPG where you and your child, niece or nephew make sock puppets and they go on adventures. The stuff you put on your sock puppet is their stats. It's extremely cute and kids love it.

Enter the Shadowside: Okay, I like World of Darkness games. So I like that these people are trying to "do their own World of Darkness!!" but trying not to copy too much. There's enough weird stuff in here to be worth trying.

Hope Prep: This is a "super kids at school" game, and it's fun. The people involved in the game seem to get the point of teenaged supers (which is to manifest teenaged anxieties literally in the form of supervillains or strange situations) The stuff in here is the ICONS stuff, so you probably will want that too.

Aeternal Legends: An urban fantasy game with a cool system. I have this one in print.

Accursed (I think): (Edit: This wasn't what I thought it was. It's a Savage Worlds fantasy adventure, and no, the corebook isn't in the bundle.)

I do think this bundle fares a little worse than previous years, but it's still got some good things.

JDCorley fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 23, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JDCorley posted:

Hope Prep: This is a "super kids at school" game, and it's fun. The people involved in the game seem to get the point of teenaged supers (which is to manifest teenaged anxieties literally in the form of supervillains or strange situations) The stuff in here is the ICONS stuff, so you probably will want that too.

I just want to point out that Icons itself is PYWY on DriveThru too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Bundle of Holding is doing a bundle of Scarred Lands. It's a setting for Sword & Sorcery. All I know is that S&S is a 3e derivative. Could be good, could be Scheiße.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
You could do a lot worse for a setting for a 3E game. Scarred Lands mostly floats above the vast mass of D20 shovelware.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FMguru posted:

You could do a lot worse for a setting for a 3E game. Scarred Lands mostly floats above the vast mass of D20 shovelware.

How is the system itself, if you happen to know? It's 3.X(5?) derivative, what does it do differently?

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Covok posted:

How is the system itself, if you happen to know? It's 3.X(5?) derivative, what does it do differently?

Its a campaign setting mostly, if not completely, and not a system. I don't think they introduced new mechanics, just the usual raft of setting specific things like feats, spells, monsters, etc.

Seconding that its one of the better third party settings. I owned Hollowfaust: City of Necromancers and remember thinking it was better than most of the product being put out for 3.0 at the time (2001?). Depending on your point of view the authors either went in for gimmicks or were willing to try non-standard D&D approaches; City of mostly well adjusted non-evil necromancers, Theocratic Lawful Good City State with a Kaiju sized mithril golem. It also had a sort of Greek myth feel to it, with a Titan/God war in the back story and pretty much a single pantheon.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Covok posted:

S&S was the White Wolf version of 3e, and probably even worse when it came to things like "balance" and "equal narrative control."

On the other hand, I don't think there were many mechanics in the scarred lands stuff, and the setting itself was better than most of the other mostly generic fantasy settings.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
As a warning, Scarred Lands does introduce one 'unique' mechanic: a side effect to arcane spellcasting is that it causes the caster's body to radiate extreme amounts of heat. This is, naturally, used as an excuse to have scantily clad wizards and sorcerers running around, even in cold climates.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Paper Kaiju posted:

As a warning, Scarred Lands does introduce one 'unique' mechanic: a side effect to arcane spellcasting is that it causes the caster's body to radiate extreme amounts of heat. This is, naturally, used as an excuse to have scantily clad wizards and sorcerers running around, even in cold climates.
It also explains why wizards don't wear metal armor.

But yeah, most people go right to the 'fur bikini/loincloth' thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

FMguru posted:

It also explains why wizards don't wear metal armor.

But yeah, most people go right to the 'fur bikini/loincloth' thing.

I know it probably ends up being the worst sort of cheesecake, but I have no problem with shirtless muscle wizards.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Swords & Sorcery wasn't the White Wolf version of 3E, it was their brand for OGL d20 content. And Scarred Lands is one of probably the top three D&D campaign settings for me, up there with Dark Sun and (2nd edition) Ravenloft. I think my favorite bit was that since the setting's "scarred" due to a relatively recent and brutal war between the titans and the gods they spawned (very Greek mythology, although the divinities themselves are different), clerics - even of the evil aligned deities - are societally acceptable. But druids? Druids are titan worshippers, and pretty much kill on sight crazies. (Though one titan did side with the gods, so her followers are a little more acceptable.)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
How awesome, I was just looking to see if DTRPG sold Scarred Lands stuff last week.

To echo what others have said, it's a setting for 3.x and doesn't really introduce any new mechanics, just lots of spells and feats and such. I dig it quite a bit mostly because it's a fantasy post-apocalypse that's not Dark Sun.

Of course I never intend to run another 3.x game, but I could always use this setting for DW or something else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is a re-offering the Unknown Armies bundle from October.

Base is UA, One-Shots, and the Godwalker novel. BtA is Break Today, To Go, Statosphere, and Weep.

If nothing else you want this bundle for the novel and One-Shots, which contains "Jailbreak" (one of the best horror adventures ever written) and "Fly to Heaven" (one of the most disturbing-in-retrospect).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I still think In Media Res is the best horror adventure ever written, but Jailbreak is really close.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I still think In Media Res is the best horror adventure ever written, but Jailbreak is really close.

I haven't heard of that one. What's it for?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't heard of that one. What's it for?

Call of Cthulhu. It was in one of the Pagan Publishing adventure collections, but I forget which one. :/

Edit: The Resurrected, Volume 3.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Resurrected_Vol._3:_Out_of_the_Vault&redirect=no

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 7, 2014

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
I was wondering if someone would bring that up...it's for Call of Cthulhu, was published in The Unspeakable Oath #10. I still have my copy of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
According to the Bundle of Holding newsletter, the next bundle after Unknown Armies is a collection of "...many of the groundbreaking indie games that revolutionized the tabletop roleplaying field in the late 1990s and the first few years of this millennium."