Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if it's new marketing people. The approach is completely different, which has been targeting males 18-34 aggressively, courting Adult Swim animation houses to produce skits, courting Mega64, going on Conan, advertising during the NBA Finals. Their old marketing was strictly about advertising to kids 6-11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It also really worked out for Nintendo that they had an entire day of events to themselves. The companies that had their pressers crammed together on Monday don't seem to have been as successful at recapturing attention (aside from some Ubisoft getting some fairly negative press).

That said, Nintendo's release schedule for the rest of 2014 is looking lighter than 2013's.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
There's been a bunch of women in all the treehouse streams as well, it's nice to see in a pretty male dominated industry. :) Did Nintendo just loving purge their marketing staff or something because this has all owned, especially that MK8 Direct

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Austrian mook posted:

There's been a bunch of women in all the treehouse streams as well, it's nice to see in a pretty male dominated industry. :) Did Nintendo just loving purge their marketing staff or something because this has all owned, especially that MK8 Direct

Nintendo makes a huge effort to attract women in their recruitment materials. As for the marketing staff, it was more neutered than purged. I'm happy to see Nintendo giving more autonomy to NoA rather thus using a one size fits all marketing approach. It might have been Iwata electing making himself CEO of NoA to make the necessary changes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sunning posted:

Nintendo makes a huge effort to attract women in their recruitment materials. As for the marketing staff, it was more neutered than purged. I'm happy to see Nintendo giving more autonomy to NoA rather thus using a one size fits all marketing approach. It might have been Iwata electing making himself CEO of NoA to make the necessary changes.

that's pretty awesome actually. I think that fixing the role women play in this industry definitely has to start by including them from within.

Okay that's enough sexism in games chat let's talk about how much fun Captain Toad is gonna be

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PrBacterio posted:

They went against this principle and DID show quite a bunch of fairly early-in-development stuff this time around, including the Miyamoto projects, Splatoon and Mario Maker, so, well ... still, I'm still sticking with my baseless convictionhope that Retro have been working on the next Metroid Prime installment over the past couple of month.

I thought Splatoon was supposed to be getting close, and Mario Maker is supposedly before next E3 (I doubt that will happen).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Splatoon is slated for 2015 I'm pretty sure. I imagine there's a lot more content to work on than we saw, like having lots of arenas.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's still really weird that 3DS does not have a tentpole holiday game, considering it has an install base of 43 million peeps and Wii U has an install base of 5 people. I guess they just feel like Pokemon and Smash Bros will keep selling into the holidays.

I know how much you dislike it when Nintendo pulls a 'You can buy it right now/in a month or two realistically' thing for some of their games but I really think they could announce Majora's Mask in a dog day Summer Direct or like, even in September and have it show up in stores by December.

It also helps that they've basically been teasing Majora's Mask 3D in official material for almost an entire year now, it feels like we've already been aware of it's existence for a long time even without any sort of announcement.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

courting Adult Swim animation houses to produce skits, courting Mega64.

Mega 64 did the Robot Chicken looking stuff for the Digital Event, according to Reggie in an interview later that day.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I know how much you dislike it when Nintendo pulls a 'You can buy it right now/in a month or two realistically' thing for some of their games but I really think they could announce Majora's Mask in a dog day Summer Direct or like, even in September and have it show up in stores by December.

It also helps that they've basically been teasing Majora's Mask 3D in official material for almost an entire year now, it feels like we've already been aware of it's existence for a long time even without any sort of announcement.

It feels like the Ruby Saphire re-makes. The whole "gen 3 confirmed" meme was the best marketing they could hope for, rather than sitting back and throwing it out there as soon as possible like Square. I wouldn't be that surprised if they're saving this, since they have announced a gently caress ton of stuff this E3. Much like with the Captain Toad game, nintendo is actually listning to what people want, they know the demand for MM3D, they're just saving it for the "right time"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Which marketing team was in charge of Cranky Kong taking over Nintendo's twitter for a day? Because that was embarrassing as poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kevyn posted:

Which marketing team was in charge of Cranky Kong taking over Nintendo's twitter for a day? Because that was embarrassing as poo poo.

It was pretty harmless actually!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kevyn posted:

Cranky Kong.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kevyn posted:

all press is good press

So how many new IP's were made this year?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A big flaming stink posted:

nah just kidding nintendo genuinely owns

Sure they do - they own about 3 million WiiU's they've been unable to ship cause there is no consumer demand.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Supercar Gautier posted:

That said, Nintendo's release schedule for the rest of 2014 is looking lighter than 2013's.
Yeah but put it this way all the teams that made launch to now Wii U games are now on their second titles and the next wave of titles is just starting. 3ds is what I'm a little worried about just because they showed so little for it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Austrian mook posted:

So how many new IP's were made this year?

Three. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Splatoon (that's releasing this year, right?), and Tomodachi Life.

I guess you could really stretch and say four if you count NES Remix.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sarchasm posted:

Three. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Splatoon (that's releasing this year, right?), and Tomodachi Life.

I guess you could really stretch and say four if you count NES Remix.

And the Project STEAM game. Would Mario Maker and the Toad game be considered new IPs since they're new a new series?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And recently but not this year, Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Sakura Samurai. It looks like Nintendo is considering Fantasy Life one of their new properties as well, even though it's a co-production with Level5, so there's that too.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Louisgod posted:

And the Project STEAM game. Would Mario Maker and the Toad game be considered new IPs since they're new a new series?

At some point the taxonomy of all this nonsense gets blurry and pointless. Let's just throw the whole lot in and say that Nintendo has seven new IPs for 2014:

Captain Toad
Mario Maker
NES Remix
Project STEAM
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
Splatoon
Tomodachi Life

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Sarchasm posted:

Tomodachi Life

:goonsay: Tomodachi Life is not a new IP, it is a sequel to the Japan only Tomodachi Collection, from 2009.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

Mega 64 did the Robot Chicken looking stuff for the Digital Event, according to Reggie in an interview later that day.

Robot Chicken's twitter implies that they did it. I'm guessing it was a collaboration in that case, like Mega 64 wrote it or something.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sarchasm posted:

At some point the taxonomy of all this nonsense gets blurry and pointless. Let's just throw the whole lot in and say that Nintendo has seven new IPs for 2014:

Captain Toad
Mario Maker
NES Remix
Project STEAM
Splatoon
Tomodachi Life

I think Splatoon is 2015.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Zachack posted:

I think Splatoon is 2015.
Yeah, Splatoon is 2015. The ones that are coming out this year, from what I remember, are Captain Toad (game of the show/year/century/forever!), Hyrule Warriors (to tide us over until the real Zelda game comes out), Bayo 2, Smash ... and I think Mario Maker too?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sarchasm posted:

Captain Toad
Mario Maker
NES Remix
Project STEAM
Splatoon
Tomodachi Life

Oh, 2014, I thought we were talking about new IPs revealed in general. In that case I think your original list stands.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sarchasm posted:

Captain Toad
Mario Maker
NES Remix
Project STEAM
Splatoon
Tomodachi Life

....we're really calling NES remix an IP, let alone a new one?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I wouldn't be surprised if it's new marketing people. The approach is completely different, which has been targeting males 18-34 aggressively, courting Adult Swim animation houses to produce skits, courting Mega64, going on Conan, advertising during the NBA Finals. Their old marketing was strictly about advertising to kids 6-11.

Maybe they're putting all that survey data to good use. I've filled out like seven surveys to get nintendo points, despite there being nothing of interest to use them on.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think they went so heavy on the Wii U because the 3DS is doing fine (comparatively), so they threw all their effort behind the struggling one to help slow the bleeding it's causing. They might make it stop losing money, but I wouldn't put very good odds on it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

....we're really calling NES remix an IP, let alone a new one?

I have my reservations (look at my previous post) but it was late and I didn't feel like splitting hairs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Remix is more like Wario Ware than the actual Wario game on the Wii U so I'm cool with that honestly.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sarchasm posted:

I have my reservations (look at my previous post) but it was late and I didn't feel like splitting hairs.

If we want to split hairs, NES Remix came out in 2013.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm almost willing to give them the new Steel Diver game as "new IP" since it's nothing like the first game that nobody bought anyway. Was that their first f2p too?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Astro7x posted:

If we want to split hairs, NES Remix came out in 2013.

Goddammit.

Sarchasm posted:

Captain Toad
Mario Maker 2015
NES Remix 2013
Project STEAM 2015
Splatoon 2015
Tomodachi Life 2009

There. Two new IPs for 2014.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Sarchasm posted:

There. Two new IPs for 2014.

Rusty's Real Deal was released August 2013 in Japan. Now all we need is to get Captain Toad off that list.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Tnega posted:

Rusty's Real Deal was released August 2013 in Japan. Now all we need is to get Captain Toad off that list.

Technically Captain Toad started out as a minigame in Super Mario 3D World, so I'm being pretty generous by including it under a heading of "New IP."

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker is the spiritual successor to the puzzle game "Wario's Woods" in which Toad is the main playable character. There, done.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I don't know the specifics of what constitutes a new IP, but I don't really consider Captain Toad a new IP because it's a spinoff from the Mario series. To me a new IP is unrelated to what came before it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

IP Freely

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hmm well now that we've agreed that Nintendo released no new IPs this year then we can conclude they released no fun games either. They're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nintendo actually released -3 IPs sorry guys

• Locked thread