Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Its true what they say: "When there's trouble at home it's always the gunpla/plamo that suffer."

Less that and more I'm sharing a one bedroom apartment and there's barely enough room to work as is. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Awesome, my GOD HAND came in today, and I gave it a short shot with a couple of pieces. Holy poo poo, this thing is amazing. I don't have to shave any plastic off, and I hardly have to sand at all to get the parts smooth. No stress marks either, this is pretty cool, I wish I had got one earlier.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Soul of Chogokin goes batshit with the crossovers again with a Doraemon combiner, SF Robot!

http://tamashii.jp/special/sf_robot/

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Soul of Chogokin goes batshit with the crossovers again with a Doraemon combiner, SF Robot!

http://tamashii.jp/special/sf_robot/

Well there goes my guess of Goldymarg to followup GaoGaiGar...:(

Edit: \/\/\/ - That looks just as dumb.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 12, 2014

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I don't think these weird combination bots/Hello Kitty Z count for the mainline SOC, for some bizzare reason. Looks like ToqOh might be next...? :sigh:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 12, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I just got in the MG 00 Raiser and, uh... it seems to only have 1/5 the amount of LEDs you actually need. Any idea if there's any reputable sites that sell the part solo?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I just got in the MG 00 Raiser and, uh... it seems to only have 1/5 the amount of LEDs you actually need. Any idea if there's any reputable sites that sell the part solo?

MG 00 Raiser only comes with 1 LED, just in case you are wondering if you got screwed over or something. To be honest, you only "need" three - the two for the 0 Raiser binders are barely noticeable. As for where you can get them, ebay has you covered: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gunpla-LED-L...=item23231b7dbc

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TaurusOxford posted:

MG 00 Raiser only comes with 1 LED, just in case you are wondering if you got screwed over or something. To be honest, you only "need" three - the two for the 0 Raiser binders are barely noticeable. As for where you can get them, ebay has you covered: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gunpla-LED-L...=item23231b7dbc

Yeah, that's what I meant. 5 slots, 1 actual LED, which I only discovered after checking the Dalong review when it was already in transit. Thanks for the link though!

e: Follow up question: It's been forever since I built Exia, are these transparent decals dry apply or just really fragile? Too scared to experiment.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 12, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They're dry apply. Just look for the wax paper, it's a dead giveaway.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, wax paper = dry transfer, wet transfers are on a different coloured backing sheet to the standard decals. They also don't come in many kits (Nu ver ka and sazabi ver ka are the only ones with them recently I believe?).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BlitzBlast posted:

They're dry apply. Just look for the wax paper, it's a dead giveaway.

Yeah, there were just two different sheets with the 00R and I wasn't sure if they were two distinct types or not for this particular kit.

Also... if that's true, one of these dry applies are the eyes. I am freaking terrified here.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, there were just two different sheets with the 00R and I wasn't sure if they were two distinct types or not for this particular kit.

Also... if that's true, one of these dry applies are the eyes. I am freaking terrified here.

dry apply is easy. Put them face up on tape. Put the tape on the application area and rub the back with something hard. Peel off tape and decal is done

TaurusOxford posted:

not that it matters for LEDs but those arent official.
If for some reason you want to spend extra money get ones with this box

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 12, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I actually prefer dry transfers to wet ones because I had a poo poo experience as a kid / young teen with some wet transfers for a plastic kit (F/A-18) where they must have been old / ancient and they just turned into tiny little shards of wet, broken plastic after trying to put them on the plane.

Plus it means I don't have to muck around with warm water around my desk.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

S-Alpha posted:

Awesome, my GOD HAND came in today, and I gave it a short shot with a couple of pieces. Holy poo poo, this thing is amazing. I don't have to shave any plastic off, and I hardly have to sand at all to get the parts smooth. No stress marks either, this is pretty cool, I wish I had got one earlier.

Which one did you get? I've been looking at getting one pair - it seems there's two variants of the cutter though?

I'm currently using the Tamiya Sharp Side Cutters (which are pretty good), but yours sounds even better.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jegan Ace posted:

Which one did you get? I've been looking at getting one pair - it seems there's two variants of the cutter though?

I'm currently using the Tamiya Sharp Side Cutters (which are pretty good), but yours sounds even better.

God hand is great, get the SPN-120

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

Roger that, will do. Thanks!

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

everythingWasBees told me to check here before buying anything, so uh, I'm looking at these two kits, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKL6E4K/, and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058KSCT8/, and wanted to make sure they aren't like, plagued with manufacturing flaws or anything before I buy em. Thanks!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You can't go wrong with those two kits at all. Here's two video reviews of those kits if you want to see what exactly you are buying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9-OkK5es3I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJtCQDKwYo

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

You can't go wrong with those two kits at all. Here's two video reviews of those kits if you want to see what exactly you are buying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9-OkK5es3I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJtCQDKwYo

Cool, thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Who wants to see a custom MG Astray Red with the Gerbera Straight? No, not that Gerbera Straight. The other one.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Where'd you guys managed to grab a godhand? The only place I found them in stock was from a European seller who wanted 60 euros for a pair.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I got mine from HLJ, but keep in mind that they don't keep them in stock, and I'm pretty sure the guys who make it produce them in low quantities. I ordered mine in January and it only just shipped last Friday, so if you go that route, be prepared for a wait.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

One of the few actually good youtube gunpla revieuwers quit the hobby after 15+ years. I'ts weird how fast it all went suddenly and nobody seems to know why exactly, dude was pretty cool and not having closure sucks :v:

So about them plastic robots. :shepface:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Fifteen years as a willing target for all the idiots in this hobby is a pretty good run actually. Which reviewer was it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zedd posted:

One of the few actually good youtube gunpla reviewers quit the hobby after 15+ years. It's weird how fast it all went suddenly and nobody seems to know why exactly, dude was pretty cool and not having closure sucks :v:

I'm guessing you are talking about Vegeta8259? It's a shame, but i'm not surprised at all. I've seen him constantly selling off every model kit he owns on ebay, even his scratch-built OZ Project kits.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm guessing you are talking about Vegeta8259? It's a shame, but i'm not surprised at all. I've seen him constantly selling off every model kit he owns on ebay, even his scratch-built OZ Project kits.
Yeah he's the one. I can get quitting but that fleet of scratchbuild Oz suits being sold kinda shocked me. Even a person that quits would keep their holy grails you'd think.
I missed out on some Cheap kits due to sniping on ebay to add insult to injury :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I never heard of the guy, but I generally try to avoid YT reviewers, especially when it comes to nerd poo poo that I like. I noticed he has a Nightingale, is he pawning that off too?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

One of the few actually good youtube gunpla revieuwers quit the hobby after 15+ years. I'ts weird how fast it all went suddenly and nobody seems to know why exactly, dude was pretty cool and not having closure sucks :v:

I know nothing about the individual in question so I'm just playing the odds here:

Quitting a hobby and dumping all traces often results from one of mental illness, severe trauma, or an ultimatum from a loved one.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Haha, that's loving awesome

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Lowe Gear: Still making the implausible plausible.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Speaking of gears I picked up the kotobukiya metal gear rex for pretty cheap and really like the camo job in the back of the manual but I've never done camo on a model that comes on runners. I'm not sure how to keep the camo looking consistent from all sides. Is it best to apply the camo first? Assemble the main parts then do the camo? Or just put it all together then put the final camo stripes on?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Assemble the main parts then do the camo. If you put it on before assembly you'll probably damage it while you cut everything off the runners, and if you try and do it on the completed model you'll run into overlapping parts.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also, I've never used it but apparently silly putty works fantastic for masking large camo pattern swathes.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
These God Hand clippers look too good to be true, and may be seeing as how the cheapest I can find them on Amazon is around 80 bucks a pair. Are they just that much of an investment if I want a pair, or is there a preferred vendor I don't know about? I have trouble with the idea of spending as much on a pair of clippers as I would on a Sinanju Stein.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

God Hand is really awesome but they're also not worth their price. If you can get them from HLJ it's more reasonable but otherwise you can just stick with the standard cutters and sand like a normal person.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Speaking of GODHAND, what's the difference between a single edged and a double edged nipper?

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Chewbacca posted:

These God Hand clippers look too good to be true, and may be seeing as how the cheapest I can find them on Amazon is around 80 bucks a pair. Are they just that much of an investment if I want a pair, or is there a preferred vendor I don't know about? I have trouble with the idea of spending as much on a pair of clippers as I would on a Sinanju Stein.

No, that seems to be the market price. The problem is that they hand-finish each cutter by hand, and their manufacturing output isn't high.

This results in long intervals between restocks, and since they are so sought after - I assume this is what drives the prices up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

Speaking of GODHAND, what's the difference between a single edged and a double edged nipper?

A double edged cutter has sharp edges on both sides of the cutting jaws and operates like a pair of scissors. A single edged nipper has only one side of the jaw with an edge and operates like a knife and cutting board.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

everythingWasBees posted:

2 is better in almost any situation except maybe in high detail items where you want to cut towards the back to push the sanding area rearwards. Modern nippers are sharp enough that its no longer an issue

They are a hot item in Japan as well, many of the hobby shops I visited were out of stock too. If it really is made from the yearly tamahagane like the marketing suggests, it could very well be a limited item only replenished a few times a year as scraps become available. Its more likely they are a small factory with limited production. It is the #1 selling hobby tool in Japan on Rakuten after all.

dont pay $80
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1
you can get it for around $45 shipped if you wait for the restock

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
I "ordered" a pair from HLJ so maybe someday they'll be back in stock and I'll get them. I can live with 30 bucks plus SAL shipping.

• Locked thread