Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Her character is obsessed with power, so I'm guessing for her it's a bigger show of power to severely beat her enemy than to outright kill them. She probably wanted Red to suffer more than she wanted her dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

gandlethorpe posted:

Her character is obsessed with power, so I'm guessing for her it's a bigger show of power to severely beat her enemy than to outright kill them. She probably wanted Red to suffer more than she wanted her dead.

she also explained that killing an inmate would basically end up in a total crackdown on everything, ruining the entire point of doing so.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

she also explained that killing an inmate would basically end up in a total crackdown on everything, ruining the entire point of doing so.

Ah right fair enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Vee's ending was some Benny Hill poo poo though

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also I was thinking about how her escape might lead to Red's greenhouse grate, but luckily they are redoing the bathroom pipes so they'll probably just assume she snuck through there! :eng101:

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I was the one in the last thread that read the memoir before I even know the show was coming out, expected the worst and ended up liking it but the thought of all these people with real life counterparts was so hosed up. To reiterate: don't bother reading the memoir. It's Piper Kerman basically writing about how great she is and all the smiles and love she brought to the prison and how her family loved and supported her. If someone can grab the passage I posted in the last thread and repost it for others to see as a fair warning I'd appreciate it.

Just finished season 2 and I thought it was pretty good. Loved the finale. Disliked a lot of the Larry and Piper's bff stuff, but moreso because none of those people in her life can have a single conversation without some sort of quirky sexual dialog that seemed so unnatural and forced. Oh and that Larry and his dad scene having a shvitz early on... why the gently caress did that need to happen? It added nothing to their relationship and we never see the dad again afterword. It didn't even establish some sort of "the old ways are dying" kind of cliche. Just seemed like an excuse to throw a bunch of naked men in for.. some reason.

Also they hosed up some of the stock effects for announcements in the prison. Other than the "prisoner transport" alert being played in what must be any episode, they used an announcement in one of the later episodes that was probably recorded from and intended for a scene on a Navy aircraft carrier. I think it said "Flight deck officers to the mess hall."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Why are you tagging speculation?

The subject being speculated on is itself a spoiler, as is all the reasoning provided.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

got dat wmd posted:

Oh and that Larry and his dad scene having a shvitz early on... why the gently caress did that need to happen? It added nothing to their relationship and we never see the dad again afterword. It didn't even establish some sort of "the old ways are dying" kind of cliche. Just seemed like an excuse to throw a bunch of naked men in for.. some reason

I thought for sure that Larry was gonna end up getting a boyfriend after that scene. But no, instead I had to suffer through a subplot copypasted from literally any lovely romcom.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

got dat wmd posted:

I was the one in the last thread that read the memoir before I even know the show was coming out, expected the worst and ended up liking it but the thought of all these people with real life counterparts was so hosed up. To reiterate: don't bother reading the memoir. It's Piper Kerman basically writing about how great she is and all the smiles and love she brought to the prison and how her family loved and supported her. If someone can grab the passage I posted in the last thread and repost it for others to see as a fair warning I'd appreciate it.

Here you go

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560520&userid=150725#post417832649

quote:

My mother was like a ray of sunshine in that room.
For our visits every week my mother was always dressed immaculately in soft, cheerful colors, with her blond hair carefully styled, her makeup perfectly applied, wearing a piece of jewelry that I had given her for a distant Christmas or birthday. We would talk for hours about my brother, her students, my uncles and aunts, the family dog. I would fill her in on whatever new electrician’s skill I’d learned that week. She always seemed perfectly comfortable in the visiting room, and every time she visited, I got comments from other prisoners afterward. “Your mama is so nice, you’re a lucky girl,” or “That’s your mother? Get out! I thought it was your sister!”
I had been hearing that one most of my adult life. People would often say it to her as well, and even though she had received that compliment approximately three thousand times before, it always made her glow. In the past, this familiar exchange made me feel resentful. Do I look like I’m in my late forties or fifties? But now I enjoyed watching her pleasure when people drew a close comparison between us. Even with this disaster I had dragged us all into, she was still proud to be my mother. It occurred to me that I had never seen my mother defeated, even when life presented difficulties and disappointments. I hoped that our resemblance extended beyond our blue eyes.

My father, more than a thousand miles away, was able to come visit me when the academic year was over. His relief when he saw me was palpable. I have always been a daddy’s girl, and I could tell how it pained him to see his baby, even a baby in her thirties, in a place like this. We still enjoyed our time, eating peanut M&Ms while I spun all the intrigues of the place out for him to absorb. The difference between our weekly phone calls and an actual in-person conversation was like a text message versus a weekend-long visit. If there was one silver lining to this whole mess, it was the reminder of my family’s greatness.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

got dat wmd posted:

Just finished season 2 and I thought it was pretty good. Loved the finale. Disliked a lot of the Larry and Piper's bff stuff, but moreso because none of those people in her life can have a single conversation without some sort of quirky sexual dialog that seemed so unnatural and forced. Oh and that Larry and his dad scene having a shvitz early on... why the gently caress did that need to happen? It added nothing to their relationship and we never see the dad again afterword. It didn't even establish some sort of "the old ways are dying" kind of cliche. Just seemed like an excuse to throw a bunch of naked men in for.. some reason.

Also they hosed up some of the stock effects for announcements in the prison. Other than the "prisoner transport" alert being played in what must be any episode, they used an announcement in one of the later episodes that was probably recorded from and intended for a scene on a Navy aircraft carrier. I think it said "Flight deck officers to the mess hall."

I liked the gay bathhouse scene. Not because it served the story but because there was finally some completely gratuitous male nudity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it fair to say that the TV series seems to be making fun of the author of the book? In the same way Wolf of Wall Street seemed to make fun of the author of the book it was based on?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I would say that could be accurate in an almost Paul Verhoeven way if it was just Piper's character but then you have, well, everyone else who are almost complete opposites.

FYI here's the real Piper reading from her book pre-Season 1 release. Hope you can stand her grating performance! http://themoth.org/posts/storytellers/piper-kerman

E: Did Pensatucky's former friends do anything besides complain and be mean to her for the entire season? Seems like they were the only ones that lacked anything new whatsoever despite being in pretty much every episode.

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 12, 2014

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

hailthefish posted:

I liked the gay bathhouse scene. Not because it served the story but because there was finally some completely gratuitous male nudity.

Yes. As a gayman, I sat politely through all the admittedly hot lezzy stuff. It was nice that they threw me a bone (hah). Also, their reason for going was funny.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just finished season 2. Aside from the first episode, I thought this was a much stronger season than the first one. Though I really, really think they need to cut Jason Biggs. I was pretty much done with his entire story line last season when he broke up with Piper. I find him completely uninteresting and doesn't really contribute much to the overall theme.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tucky showing off her new teeth was adorable. I want more of that

And Nichols was in American Pie with Larry.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

got dat wmd posted:

I would say that could be accurate in an almost Paul Verhoeven way if it was just Piper's character but then you have, well, everyone else who are almost complete opposites.

FYI here's the real Piper reading from her book pre-Season 1 release. Hope you can stand her grating performance! http://themoth.org/posts/storytellers/piper-kerman

WASP goes to prison - builds a career on it. That irritates me a lot more than it probably should.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Anosmoman posted:

WASP goes to prison - builds a career on it. That irritates me a lot more than it probably should.

Kerman works as a strategist for non profits, is on the board of the women's prison association, and frequently participates in talks on justice reform type things. Yah she's built a career off of having gone to prison but it's not like she just wrote some trashy book and milked that into doing nothing of value with her life.
You are associating her to heavily with Chapman.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I posted in CD's Netflix thread that I thought the show was getting too cartoonish, but somehow the ending was so cartoonish that it kind of brought it back around for me. And I'm not just talking about Vee getting run over, Caputo's day starting out amazing but devolving through a series of crazier and crazier problems as he becomes increasingly exasperated played out like I was watching a sitcom. Also, do the people making this show think the audience is retarded? At one point Vee literally looks at the camera and smiles like she's the Grinch, Black Cindy's flashback is 'Madea Works At An Airport' without it feeling like satire, they went the most obvious route they possibly could with Fig's husband, and did the final shot need to literally be old Rosa morphing into young Rosa? We get it, guys.

It's almost a testament to how great the cast is that the show is so watchable despite all the obvious problems. Definitely agree that Larry and Polly are dead weight, though.

Random tidbit; when I was like three episodes in and Vee was already obviously the villain, my friend mentioned that she had Sideshow Bob hair and afterwards that's all I could see, though it helps that she was so comically evil. I was expecting her to get DIE RED DIE tattooed across her chest at some point.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 12, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

And Nichols was in American Pie with Larry.

Have they met in the show before? I can't remember. It'd be fun if after all these episodes they finally meet and she's like "Hey! You're the guy that hosed the pie!". Every role Biggs has, someone should bring this up.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have they met in the show before? I can't remember. It'd be fun if after all these episodes they finally meet and she's like "Hey! You're the guy that hosed the pie!". Every role Biggs has, someone should bring this up.

Ever since seeing Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, that's the only thing I can think of whenever I see Biggs in any role.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree about the morphing, actually. It was a little too on-the-nose.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bown posted:

I agree about the morphing, actually. It was a little too on-the-nose.

It was on-the-nose, but I felt like the moment was earned. I really liked Rosa's story throughout the season.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Max posted:

It was on-the-nose, but I felt like the moment was earned. I really liked Rosa's story throughout the season.

it hosed it for me

before she animorphed i was thinking 'thats awesome she gets to relive her youth one last tim--' and then it slapped me in the face and i groaned

who seriously didnt get that and if they needed it to be so hamhanded then they wouldnt care if you didnt include it anyway

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

Random tidbit; when I was like three episodes in and Vee was already obviously the villain, my friend mentioned that she had Sideshow Bob hair and afterwards that's all I could see, though it helps that she was so comically evil. I was expecting her to get DIE RED DIE tattooed across her chest at some point.

It's German for "the Red, the."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Skeleton King posted:

it hosed it for me

before she animorphed i was thinking 'thats awesome she gets to relive her youth one last tim--' and then it slapped me in the face and i groaned

who seriously didnt get that and if they needed it to be so hamhanded then they wouldnt care if you didnt include it anyway

Eh, to each their own.

Blue Oyster Cult over the image of Vee's dead body was pretty hilarious though.

Max fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 12, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
The fact that Healey turnes into an MRA at the end of the season. :lol:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

cname posted:

The fact that Healey turnes into an MRA at the end of the season. :lol:

Turns into? Dude was always there.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Wait what? When was he posting on a reddit on the show? Was that what that sound was on the computer in one of the later episodes?

Also if you groan about the morphing, remember that last season had the mute single beautifully in front of everyone.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

got dat wmd posted:

Wait what? When was he posting on a reddit on the show? Was that what that sound was on the computer in one of the later episodes?

Also if you groan about the morphing, remember that last season had the mute single beautifully in front of everyone.

he hands pennsatucky a book about the how men are becoming obsolete because of the feminist agenda, which is basically the most vanilla and least toxic form of mra belief there is

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

its so weird just seeing bit characters that were on the wire. not just a few of them, there's like a TON of just one shot/two shot characters that were on that show.

its really off putting now.

Okay, so Rhonda Pearlman and Nicky Sobotka I know. Who else?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I found one of those FB spam links talking about the cast singing in their various other roles. It was pretty uninspiring until I got down to Maria, who is in a death metal kind of band, I didn't expect that one at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_QxsSsEEQ

But most shocking is when I looked her up to see which Latina girl she was, I found out that she was the same girl who was pregnant early in the first season. I thought she had a miscarriage the entire time, since she got back so drained and depressed. :downs:

I guess everyone has that moment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

She's definitely got a bit of Angela from Arch Enemy in her. Not too shabby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9C2Vh1HMgc

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

got dat wmd posted:

that made me gag vomit and shove a jenji kohan dildo up my poo poo rear end and then take it out on a table and twitterpic it and tag jenji

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

At least the hilariously cheesy moments are usually balanced out by hilariously violent ones in short order (the Piper-on-Pennsatucky beatdown, the Vee hit-and-run), which are typically enough to make me cough down any vomit rising in my throat.

Those moments still sound ridiculous when you write about them though. "An episode where all the inmates tell us what love means to them" definitely sounds stupid, but in practice, the acting seemed so heartfelt that I didn't really mind. (Although it did help that those scenes included the line "You also have a pizza.")

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked the reveal on why all the contraband smelled like rear end.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Combed Thunderclap posted:

At least the hilariously cheesy moments are usually balanced out by hilariously violent ones in short order (the Piper-on-Pennsatucky beatdown, the Vee hit-and-run), which are typically enough to make me cough down any vomit rising in my throat.

Those moments still sound ridiculous when you write about them though. "An episode where all the inmates tell us what love means to them" definitely sounds stupid, but in practice, the acting seemed so heartfelt that I didn't really mind. (Although it did help that those scenes included the line "You also have a pizza.")

When it comes down to it, good acting can save quite a lot of shlock.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Finished S2 this morning. Daya and Bennett have miraculously superseded Piper and Larry as my least favorite characters/relationship storyline.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Max posted:

When it comes down to it, good acting can save quite a lot of shlock.

It's absolutely true.

Unfortunately, Daya's incessant mood swings and passive-aggressive suggestions that Bennett should go to jail weren't shlock — more like the kind of counterproductive stupidity that I feel could actually happen in real life. The acting was OK, but the constant repetition of their hand-wringing conversations was absurdly awful.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's absolutely true.

Unfortunately, Daya's incessant mood swings and passive-aggressive suggestions that Bennett should go to jail weren't shlock — more like the kind of counterproductive stupidity that I feel could actually happen in real life. The acting was OK, but the constant repetition of their hand-wringing conversations was absurdly awful.
Perhaps, but I think it crossed a line where it became too stupid for me to care what happens in that storyline, even if you suppose it's realistically stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I kind of want this show to just be Piper's life getting worse and worse while everyone else has adventures, I could live with that

• Locked thread