Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Man, that was a great show. "The Collect Call of Cthulhu" ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Eva Green was in this short-lived show about King Arthur, where she played Morgan, and Joseph Fiennes was Merlin. They were the best parts in it.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Thank you for mentioning these. I've spent all morning at work reading these recaps while I'm backing up files and they're hilarious. I can't wait to see the recap for episode 5, it's so different than the rest of the season has been so far and answers so many questions, I'm dying for everyone else to see it too.

Did you work on the show? How have you seen it before us?!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

terrordactle posted:

Did you work on the show? How have you seen it before us?!

KasioDiscoRock posted:

No, but I work in the company that does all the sound editing for it.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Haha, yeah I've already seen all of episodes 6 and 7, and parts of 8 as well.

I also found a spider in my house yesterday which has become infinitely more creepy since this show. At least it wasn't crawling out from behind an upside down cross.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Is there a new episode tonight?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Supposed to be, yes. Airing starting at 10pm Eastern.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahah beautifully done.

This episode was full of silliness and endless significant glances. Then the man on man smooching and welp, can't wait for another tawdry episode tonight! Yee-haw, more Penny Dreadful, please.

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

It's pretty obviously a Belfast accent though? I mean it's not great but it's clear what she's going for I don't understand why people are confused about it.
:aaa: Do you really hear a Belfast accent in there? I hear a mushmouth Brit trying to affect an Irish accent. It's a horrid mess to my ears.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

This episode is kind of a snoozefest. Without saying what it's all about, I wish it had been about something else.

edit: well at least the first half of this episode

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:barf: Goddamn, those teeth are more monstrous than anything on Penny Dreadful. No, I don't need to see any further pictures of Shane McGowan, he's a gross-mouth legend already.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Episode 5: Good. Good. Yes.

Also apparently Dr. Van Helsing will be returning next episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far, probably helped by the focus on a single character. The surgery scene was utterly horrifying, especially since I know all that and worse was done in the name of "mental health" in that era.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far, probably helped by the focus on a single character. The surgery scene was utterly horrifying, especially since I know all that and worse was done in the name of "mental health" in that era.

I was getting some serious season 2 AHS vibes from that scene. Definitely a good thing, imho.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

I was getting some serious season 2 AHS vibes from that scene. Definitely a good thing, imho.

AHS?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm guessing American Horror Story.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That was really hard to watch. Also, really good. Another fantastic performance from Eva Green. The horror and anguish and desperation was palpable in every scene.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Genuine hand-cranked trepanations are the gold loving standard of Victorian brain surgery. I gotta say I was legitimately squirming while that was going on.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

That episode was fantastic. I am a little confused by the order of the series, however. I am no auteur but perhaps they could have worked in e05 earlier.

My bullshit aside, what a great job by everyone involved. Victorian "psychiatry" is terrifying. If only the show runners were making it up.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Darko posted:

I'm guessing American Horror Story.

Yeah. Sorry, I was on my iPad and was being lazy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Yudo posted:

That episode was fantastic. I am a little confused by the order of the series, however. I am no auteur but perhaps they could have worked in e05 earlier.

Eh, I'm okay with it. They needed to get the plot rolling, and now is a good point to drop some enlightenment on the central relationship in the series.

(Also, extra points for doing it in a way that ensures Ethan Chandler has still been told nothing.)

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Yet another episode where I am totally okay with whatever they do.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Finally got around to watching the latest episode (work plus live U-Verse being a bit janky meant that I had to join the legions of people watching it on demand) and...holy poo poo. Just send that episode to any Emmy voter right now, because they'd vote (as they should) for Eva Green to win everything in a heartbeat. Just a great performance, really emotionally arresting.

And the Victorian asylum scenes. God, mental health treatment in that period of time was all manner of hosed up.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 10, 2014

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Good episode

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Great episode. It felt slow at first but worked up a wonderful sense of tension and dread and by the end I'd comfortably say it was the best one so far. Eva Green owned the hell out of it.

And chalk me up as another who blatantly could tell Billy's doing a Belfast accent. It's wobbly but I've heard far worse.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Penny Dreadful: Eva Green for your Emmy consideration

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Awesome episode, first part felt more like a slow-moving Victorian novel than a penny dreadful.

Why did anyone ever want a hedge maze, they're always bad news! Sleuth, Labyrinth, The Shining...

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Troy Queef posted:

And the Victorian asylum scenes. God, mental health treatment in that period of time was all manner of hosed up.

A hundred years from now, they'll be saying the same thing about us.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Counterpoint:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Minority opinion: I can not believe how bad this show is, and I'm not sure I even make it through the season. The most tedious new drama since I don't even know.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Minority opinion: I can not believe how bad this show is, and I'm not sure I even make it through the season. The most tedious new drama since I don't even know.

I disagree, and feel that it is actually good and not bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The truth is in the middle

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

The truth is in the middle

agreed. If the writing would get better, this could be a fantastic show

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not disagreeing or agreeing.

I wonder, though, if you feel this is the most tedious drama you can remember, why is there only a chance you won't make through the season, rather than just giving up on it now? Is your time really so worthless that even the most tedious drama you can remember might draw you into watching the entire season?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You should go watch Crossbones :3

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Animated corpses, demons, werewolves, debauchery, disease, a seance, betrayal between families and BFFs, trepanation...tedious?!

Re-watched the episode again; the acting is brilliant. And the writing often seems lifted from or in the spirit of the source materials, such as Mary Shelley's style in Frankenstein (which is available to read online).
So similar in style, tone and even the phrases used.

It's too bad there's only 10 episodes, going to be a long wait until season 2.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 15, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Only eight episodes.

Season 2 will have ten.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
You're not helping :(

Listened to a pretty good podcast about the past couple of episodes; was good to get insights and details from others that I didn't pick up, and the women's point of view was interesting too.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Binary Logic posted:

Listened to a pretty good podcast

Got a link?

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Dorian Gray is kind of seOOPS IT'S SATAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Holy gently caress I hate Frank's monster so much right now. Someone needs to blow a hole in that rear end in a top hat's head. Maybe the plot resolution to "make him a Realdoll" is get Dorian Grey to seduce him?

• Locked thread