Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

:waycool: you should prolly follow treeboy's advice

Shut up and kiss me you fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Malt posted:

Not only am I interested, but I'm currently playing and it's a lot of fun.

Let me tell you something about "fun," pal. "Fun" is a buzzword. A game is nothing unless a bunch of nerds on an internet forum say it's good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

E3 has me sold on pretty much every first party title Nintendo has coming out. The Yoshi game just looks so God damned :3:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Meldonox posted:

Let me tell you something about "fun," pal. "Fun" is a buzzword. A game is nothing unless a bunch of nerds on an internet forum say it's good.

A game is nothing unless virtualboycolor decides we can like it.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm really 90% of the way to getting the WiiU,this E3 really has sold me on it. I think that if I get it this winter, I would have a solid backlog of games I can play while waiting for upcoming releases like W101, 3D world, etc.(not to mention smash bros, which will probably end my life forever.), I've never played bayonetta so getting both in one package looks amazing, And the 2015 batch looks amazing too, with zelda, Xenogears, Starfox, etc.

But I'm just worried about one thing, I know everybody's in hype mode over Nintendo given their amazing E3 this year, I'm just worried that if Smash Bros doesnt change the WiiU's fortunes I'm going to be facing a dead console pretty quick, which would be a huge bummer for me, because I cant afford more than one console so essentially it will be this one console and a PC. Part of me feels like maybe given the reports or rumors I've been hearing about how Nintendo might planning on moving on to the next console early is giving me the slight inclination that maybe I should wait. I dunno, the call of smash is way strong though.... aaaagh.
Basically this entire E3 was Nintendo demonstrating that they're not going to abandon the Wii U, that they're doubling down on their support for it, and showing that they still have plenty of big titles planned to release on the console until at least the holiday season 2015, so I don't see how you can still be worried about that, now. In terms of 3rd party support, it'll remain to be seen if the Wii U's fortunes will change sufficiently for some of that to come back with MK8, Smash, etc., but I wouldn't really hold my breath, frankly, for more than the odd title here and there to come out from time to time. But Nintendo themselves have made a pretty clear commitment to the console just now, so you can at least rest assured that they'll keep supporting it yet with quality releases for some time to come. They're not about to cancel Captain Toad, Smash, Splatoon, Zelda U, etc., they've made that fairly clear.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PrBacterio posted:

Basically this entire E3 was Nintendo demonstrating that they're not going to abandon the Wii U, that they're doubling down on their support for it, and showing that they still have plenty of big titles planned to release on the console until at least the holiday season 2015, so I don't see how you can still be worried about that, now. In terms of 3rd party support, it'll remain to be seen if the Wii U's fortunes will change sufficiently for some of that to come back with MK8, Smash, etc., but I wouldn't really hold my breath, frankly, for more than the odd title here and there to come out from time to time. But Nintendo themselves have made a pretty clear commitment to the console just now, so you can at least rest assured that they'll keep supporting it yet with quality releases for some time to come. They're not about to cancel Captain Toad, Smash, Splatoon, Zelda U, etc., they've made that fairly clear.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to video game politics/economy, but AFAIK Wii U has sold 6 million units worldwide. That's one million behind Sony and three million ahead of Microsoft. So how, then, are they losing the console war and in such dire straits? Is it because they have such a higher market dominance than the other two and are under-performing more by their own standards?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Captain Mog posted:

I'm completely clueless when it comes to video game politics/economy, but AFAIK Wii U has sold 6 million units worldwide. That's one million behind Sony and three million ahead of Microsoft. So how, then, are they losing the console war and in such dire straits? Is it because they have such a higher market dominance than the other two and are under-performing more by their own standards?

To be honest, who gives a gently caress? A lot of people like really terrible things and that shouldn't matter. The Wii U currently has the best looking games and games that are actually fun. Everything else that is even remotely decent is coming out on PC.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Captain Mog posted:

People always say they're losing, and as much as I hate attributing things to this, I think a lot of it is fanboyism for other consoles. Lots of people said the Gamecube was losing at a time when Nintendo raked in poo poo loads of cash. I'd always hear it attributed to them not having a Halo killer, or not having the catalog of the PS2 (which is fair, but exaggerated in this situation). Basically never listen to console nerds since they never know what they're talking about.

Christ, one time I was in a Gamestop to buy a DS game and the employee on duty told me that Nintendo were sunk and they were going to get bought out by Microsoft and produce an MS handheld within the next year. Still waiting on it, pal.

Edit: Just to head off any misunderstanding, I'm not denying that they've had a really lovely time of it with the Wii U thus far. I'm saying gamers are idiots and "losing" is typically just someone's worthless and uninformed opinion.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 13, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Mog posted:

Because the WiiU had about a year headstart of the PS4 and Xbone, and in comparison to Nintendo's other consoles is the worst selling one yet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

TaurusOxford posted:

Because the WiiU had about a year headstart of the PS4 and Xbone, and in comparison to Nintendo's other consoles is the worst selling one yet.

Yeah this is the real answer. The Wii U has been great recently but let's not forget how disastrous the launch was.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Meldonox posted:

People always say they're losing, and as much as I hate attributing things to this, I think a lot of it is fanboyism for other consoles. Lots of people said the Gamecube was losing at a time when Nintendo raked in poo poo loads of cash. I'd always hear it attributed to them not having a Halo killer, or not having the catalog of the PS2 (which is fair, but exaggerated in this situation). Basically never listen to console nerds since they never know what they're talking about.

Christ, one time I was in a Gamestop to buy a DS game and the employee on duty told me that Nintendo were sunk and they were going to get bought out by Microsoft and produce an MS handheld within the next year. Still waiting on it, pal.

Nintendo mainly did alright during the GC era because of the DS. The GC did not really sell that well and didn't have alot of games that were popular outside of the base. This isn't really a fanboy thing, it's just what happened.

That gen was pretty much dominated by the PS2 anyways, which I think basically ended up selling around 7 times as much as the GC. This led to Nintendo bringing in Reggie to bring things around (after a particularly bad E3 where the biggest game they have coming for the GC was Pacman VS) and Sony going into the next gen absurdly overconfident.

As for now, Nintendo are losing money for pretty much the first time ever. Yes their number aren't far off from the competition but they also have a year on the competition. This E3 does have the potential to turn things around pretty well though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

Nintendo mainly did alright during the GC era because of the DS. The GC did not really sell that well and didn't have alot of games that were popular outside of the base. This isn't really a fanboy thing, it's just what happened.

That gen was pretty much dominated by the PS2 anyways, which I think basically ended up selling around 7 times as much as the GC. This led to Nintendo bringing in Reggie to bring things around (after a particularly bad E3 where the biggest game they have coming for the GC was Pacman VS) and Sony going into the next gen absurdly overconfident.

As for now, Nintendo are losing money for pretty much the first time ever. Yes their number aren't far off from the competition but they also have a year on the competition. This E3 does have the potential to turn things around pretty well though.

Just to correct some of your innacuracies: Gamecube was quite profitable, and sold close to the Xbox, behind it by about 3 million units. Ps2 sold boatloads more of course, but Gamecube was a good seller.

Reggie introduced introduced the DS at E3 about halfway through the Gamecube's life, the DS didn't really float the GCN. He didn't really turn things around, the DS was already almost done by then. Reggie's responsibilities are primarily marketing and sales in the NA region. He has very little if anything to do with product development or company direction. He has even less authority over marketing and sales now than when the Wii initially came out.

The rest is pretty much accurate.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'm going to get a Wii U in August now that Nintendo's E3 showing had swayed me over.

If I bought Mario Kart 8 now (before July 31st), would I be able to register it and be eligible for a free game download without an actual Wii U? I have a 3DS, so I do have a NNID.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PoshAlligator posted:

I'm going to get a Wii U in August now that Nintendo's E3 showing had swayed me over.

If I bought Mario Kart 8 now (before July 31st), would I be able to register it and be eligible for a free game download without an actual Wii U? I have a 3DS, so I do have a NNID.

Yeah, you could just do the offer, get the code for what game you want and wait until you have the system to redeem it on the Wii U.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

surf rock posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about getting a Wii U. Between the let's play of SM3DW, the release of MK8 and that great E3 (Smash Bros! Splatoon! Zelda!), it's just too good of a value right now with the MK8 promotion.

This is from a bit back but as a heads up the Target $15 off discount (which I think ends tomorrow?) applies to a game for each preorder. Meaning I preordered Smash for the Wii U and 3DS and got $15 off both Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. If you're stocking up your library you can get $15 off every game $40 or more just by getting another $1 preorder (you can preorder the same game up to 4 times, I think).

As far as Club Nintendo goes, I registered my Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin 3 which got me up to Gold. Now I'm hearing I should have waited until July 1st because they'll stop counting then (though apparently you can still spend them on things)? That's unfortunate if true. I might call Customer Service on the 1st and see if they'd be kind enough make the coins count for the next year instead (I haven't used them on anything yet).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The MK8 deal works like this.

1. Register MK8 to your club nintendo account by July 31st or you won't get the option to receive a free game.
2. Once you register the game a task to choose your free game will appear on your account (may take 24 hours to show up). This task expires on 8/31/2014.
3. Once you choose your free game you will be given a code to redeem on the eshop. This game code expires 9/30/2014.

So long as you get a Wii U before the end of september you can redeem the free game.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, you could just do the offer, get the code for what game you want and wait until you have the system to redeem it on the Wii U.

havenwaters posted:

The MK8 deal works like this.

1. Register MK8 to your club nintendo account by July 31st or you won't get the option to receive a free game.
2. Once you register the game a task to choose your free game will appear on your account (may take 24 hours to show up). This task expires on 8/31/2014.
3. Once you choose your free game you will be given a code to redeem on the eshop. This game code expires 9/30/2014.

So long as you get a Wii U before the end of september you can redeem the free game.

Cool, thanks. I'll pick up MK8 soon then. Really looking forward to it. Pleased to feel I have a reason to after a couple of years of wanting to be convinced.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Why is Netflix on the Wii U worse than on the Wii?

On the Wii I can have different profiles to pick from, but I'm not seeing that on the Wii U app.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Can you even control WiiU's netflix with a wii mote? That was the best thing about Wii's version.

Also there needs to be some kind of exterior command to turn the gamepad display off. A button in the home menu would be fine!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Bobnumerotres posted:

Can you even control WiiU's netflix with a wii mote? That was the best thing about Wii's version.

Also there needs to be some kind of exterior command to turn the gamepad display off. A button in the home menu would be fine!

That's exactly how you turn it off. You can use the home menu with the Wiimote, just like how you can force the wiimotes to reconnect or change their volume with the gamepad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bandana Waddle Dee spotted :3:

More interesting though there's 4 of them, and B. Dee is considered a good guy so curious if there's going to be something going on with multiplayer.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

CatsPajamas posted:

This is from a bit back but as a heads up the Target $15 off discount (which I think ends tomorrow?) applies to a game for each preorder. Meaning I preordered Smash for the Wii U and 3DS and got $15 off both Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. If you're stocking up your library you can get $15 off every game $40 or more just by getting another $1 preorder (you can preorder the same game up to 4 times, I think).

As far as Club Nintendo goes, I registered my Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin 3 which got me up to Gold. Now I'm hearing I should have waited until July 1st because they'll stop counting then (though apparently you can still spend them on things)? That's unfortunate if true. I might call Customer Service on the 1st and see if they'd be kind enough make the coins count for the next year instead (I haven't used them on anything yet).

As it turns out, my local Target refuses to pricematch with Amazon. As the manager told me, "Amazon isn't a real retailer." So, there was no reason to do the preorder deal because all of their games were already about $15-20 more expensive than on Amazon.

gently caress brick-and-mortar stores. Don't have to tell me twice not to spend my money at you instead of the infinitely more convenient and consumer-friendly Amazon, assholes.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bandana Waddle Dee spotted :3:

More interesting though there's 4 of them, and B. Dee is considered a good guy so curious if there's going to be something going on with multiplayer.

You mean a bad guy, no self proclaiming waddle dee woulder ever encourage Kirby to slay his own.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pixeltendo posted:

You mean a bad guy, no self proclaiming waddle dee woulder ever encourage Kirby to slay his own.

Bandana Dee straight up murdered other Dee's in Return to Dreamland and in Triple Deluxe fed Kirby sodas and the like.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Is Ittle Dew a good game? I'm asking because I'm playing Super Mario 3D World after a return of absence and it's kicking my rear end. Metacritic says a solid 70 tier, but 4 and a hlf stars on eShop.

I want a nice Metroidvania or Zelda experience.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
nvm

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 14, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Solaris Knight posted:

for a good Metroidvania get Gucamelee.

It's 30 dollars after the 20 dollar coupon.

So it's still 50 dollars regularly. But if you didn't pick it up on Wednesday you can get the sale price again of 30 dollars if you use the coupon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, I keep thinking it's $60.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I have Guacamelee. I beat Guacamelee. I'm gonna get the new edition, but I wanna try it on Xbox first.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oh, I keep thinking it's $60.

Everything Wii-U related in bestbuy has been reduce to the 50-55 dollar range including Mario 3D World. Stuff like Windwaker HD is down to 45 bucks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Solaris Knight posted:

Is Ittle Dew a good game? I'm asking because I'm playing Super Mario 3D World after a return of absence and it's kicking my rear end. Metacritic says a solid 70 tier, but 4 and a hlf stars on eShop.

Ittle Dew is a good game. It is however a very short game.

If you really like it you can get multiple playthroughs out of it though where you figure out how to beat it with limited weapons and stuff. I didn't like it that much so I just played it the once.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Solaris Knight posted:

Ittle Dew is good but unless you strongly object to playing it on your computer, I'd say get it on your computer, if only because it is FAR cheaper there. It's pretty constantly showing up in bundles and if you just hang around the steam gifting thread you can probably get it for free.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

It's not that I strong object, so much as I can't consistently play it on my computer, so Wii U it is.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

surf rock posted:

As it turns out, my local Target refuses to pricematch with Amazon. As the manager told me, "Amazon isn't a real retailer." So, there was no reason to do the preorder deal because all of their games were already about $15-20 more expensive than on Amazon.

gently caress brick-and-mortar stores. Don't have to tell me twice not to spend my money at you instead of the infinitely more convenient and consumer-friendly Amazon, assholes.

That sucks, I thought Target policy explicitly price-matched Amazon. I went today to get Super Mario 3D World and the person working the counter had done it previously so she price-matched it to what it was earlier without checking - a whole buck lower. They also let me use the $15 pre-order credit so it seems extremely YMMV.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I got ZombiU tonight. Gonna wait until morning to play it.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

My WiiU gamepad just "rang" to let me know brain training had been installed for free. (I think it may just be a Europe thing though)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

whaley posted:

Are the other names any better really? One sounds like playground equipment and one is named after it being a box.
Playstation is a good name, and Sony apparently is the only one of the three with the confidence to just name the thing what it loving is (i.e. the fourth Playstation) without resorting to gimmicks. Xbox is good as well, although the later naming with 360 and One betrays Microsoft's serious and totally stupid and pointless ordinality envy.

Gamecube was a good name, they could have stuck with that. Even just calling it 'Nintendo 6' would have been heaps better. The name they chose is about par with "Nintendo's New Console for Literal Faggots". Which is a shame because otherwise it isn't too bad and I'd probably have gotten one by now :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No, those are all horrible names and more importantly: who gives a poo poo.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kilroy posted:

Playstation is a good name, and Sony apparently is the only one of the three with the confidence to just name the thing what it loving is (i.e. the fourth Playstation) without resorting to gimmicks. Xbox is good as well, although the later naming with 360 and One betrays Microsoft's serious and totally stupid and pointless ordinality envy.

Gamecube was a good name, they could have stuck with that. Even just calling it 'Nintendo 6' would have been heaps better. The name they chose is about par with "Nintendo's New Console for Literal Faggots". Which is a shame because otherwise it isn't too bad and I'd probably have gotten one by now :(

You are really weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

absolutely anything posted:

You are really weird

But he's technically correct and that's the best kind of correct.

• Locked thread