Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SpikeMcclane posted:

What if I told you guys I got a Takara Overlord for $10 last weekend? Is that crazy enough?

I'm misleading you. It's a SFC, so it's a little PVC statue.

I thought you were going to tell us that's what they were repainting Legends Megatron into.

Seriously stick Cosmos' shuttle partner into megatron's arm and tell me that could not be a repainted overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought you were going to tell us that's what they were repainting Legends Megatron into.

Seriously stick Cosmos' shuttle partner into megatron's arm and tell me that could not be a repainted overlord.

There's been a rumor of that exact thing for a while now.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

One thing I do agree with is that (takara) Masterpieces are probably overpriced, even if they're incredibly nice toys. MP Soundwave's leg kibble is far, far, far, far from horrible. Would he be better without it? Yeah, I guess. But it's what, 5mm of extra mass? I don't mind Sideswipe and prowl's backpacks (as small as they are) so I certainly don't mind Soundwave's pants.

Past the price of Prime and then Soundwave's gimmick of releasing 2 addon sets of tapes I think the recent cars have been pretty great in price. Especially if you don't overpay by going the BBTS route. The Nissan's were all $50-$60 which is the same price Prowl will be at TRU. Wheeljack is like $50, and Bumblebee $40. I think even my Ultra Magnus preorder was less than what I paid for Soundblaster, like around $120 or so.

The tape two-packs thing annoyed me to no end though, I still haven't picked up the second pair.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

ForeverSmug posted:

Then you have terrible taste.

How can that be when everything you listed is false? Not subjective, but false? Go be edgy about your toy robot opinions on TFW, where they encourage you to invent your own reality to justify your purchasing decisions.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I paid for the 2nd-run of Grimlock back in January and I love him. I don't understand how someone could hate him (or Soundwave either) and dare to call a dislike of them a sign of good taste, but that is okay. I love everyone.

I'm going to Maui and then Seattle over the next couple of weeks. Are there any cool toy shops/import shops in either of those places?

(my wife put together all the travel plans and I have no idea where I'm going to be in Maui because I am consumed with work things, but I'll have a week there so I figure I can get around)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Captain Magic posted:

I'm going to Maui and then Seattle over the next couple of weeks. Are there any cool toy shops/import shops in either of those places?

PM me with the exact dates you'll be in Seattle, area(s) you're staying in, access to a car, etc. I'll put together a list for you.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Keldroc posted:

How can that be when everything you listed is false? Not subjective, but false? Go be edgy about your toy robot opinions on TFW, where they encourage you to invent your own reality to justify your purchasing decisions.

Incredible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keldroc posted:

Man you're a piece of work.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

ForeverSmug posted:

Incredible.

I'm sure the mental gymnastics you're going through to convince yourself you're still right are impressive.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Man you're a piece of work.

Man are you on the wrong side on this one.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

While I still don't have an MP grimlock, the one thing that always seems weird to me when I watch a review is that it seems very wobbly (not unstable, just wobbly) in robot mode. Is it like that on hand?

The only MP I straight up dislike is Megatron.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

While I still don't have an MP grimlock, the one thing that always seems weird to me when I watch a review is that it seems very wobbly (not unstable, just wobbly) in robot mode. Is it like that on hand?

Not really if you just want him to stand there, but he's top-heavy enough with the dino head and wings that getting him into more dynamic poses takes trial and error. And sometimes something to lean on. The only MP that falls over with any regularity on my shelf is Rodimus.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm still messing with Armada Starscream all the time, he's tons better than I thought he'd be and I'm really glad I got him. He's cool enough that I won't mind buying him a second time when Jhiaxus comes out.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I'm still messing with Armada Starscream all the time, he's tons better than I thought he'd be and I'm really glad I got him. He's cool enough that I won't mind buying him a second time when Jhiaxus comes out.

I am still praying Takara will ride in like an action hero and give me the G2-colored Jhiaxus I so desperately need.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Speaking of Jhiaxus, I was checking out some pictures and apparently the remolds include a folding nosecone?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

MP Soundwave is a phenomenal Transformers toy and MP Grimlock is a very good Transformers toy, if you don't agree you're bad at being a fan of Transformers.

BTW the deluxe movie Drift is actually pretty neat. I've stuck to just Dinobots and him so far, and I'm enjoying this flick's toys a lot more than I expected I would.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

strangehamster posted:

This thread is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Fire and bad posts coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

strangehamster posted:

Fire and bad posts coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I am still praying Takara will ride in like an action hero and give me the G2-colored Jhiaxus I so desperately need.

Yeah, I'm happy with the hasbro one but a G2 colored one would be rad.

Also Nefund, I really am sorry, I was making a joke at your expense and it was way more dickish than I intended and now I feel bad. :(

Although Forever Smug is kind of a dumbass, he's not getting an apology.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 14, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also Nefund, I really am sorry, I was making a joke at your expense and it was way more dickish than I intended and now I feel bad. :(

Not at all, I took it as a friendly rib and gave back in turn. :)

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

vkeios posted:

p.s. pretty sure I didn't post this here, but here's a local store I went to a month ago:

That's Billy Galaxy isn't it?

They have a pretty cool selection but their prices can be pretty ridiculous.

Did you get to see the Diaclone stuff they have? It's usually tucked away behind the Microman stuff.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Lepecard posted:

Did you get to see the Diaclone stuff they have? It's usually tucked away behind the Microman stuff.

Billy Galaxy to me is the shittiest collectibles store in existence. Everybody raves about it, but once you're inside, it feels like you're just there to look at someones collection. Like every other hipster joke, only in Portland would a dude rent out store space in downtown to show off his collection.

The one and only time I've been in there I asked him about his graded comics behind the counter. I point blank asked him "Oh cool, is that the Death of Gwen Stacy issue?" Dude nods and goes "Yup" and walks back upstairs while his girlfriend/wife/employee/something sat and ate the most obnoxious smelling soup reading Pinterest on their computer/cash register. And nothing else was said, like a super vacuum of awkward after that.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Lepecard posted:

Yeah it is, and I didn't actually see the diaclone stuff which is weird since I was staring pretty hard at the micromans. Funny thing is I just poked in because I was thinking about comic shops and totally got names mixed up in my head while I was walking by it. So I was legit surprised when the only comics there were in boxes on the floor.

The Rage posted:

ate the most obnoxious smelling soup
plz dont soup-shame (I do agree that it really felt like i was just looking at a guy's collection though).

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

vkeios posted:

Yeah it is, and I didn't actually see the diaclone stuff which is weird since I was staring pretty hard at the micromans. Funny thing is I just poked in because I was thinking about comic shops and totally got names mixed up in my head while I was walking by it. So I was legit surprised when the only comics there were in boxes on the floor.

plz dont soup-shame (I do agree that it really felt like i was just looking at a guy's collection though).

It smelled like a wet fart when I walked in, and I honestly thought maybe another customer had just backed in and done that and then left, but it stayed, oh god it stayed.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Keldroc posted:

Go be edgy about your toy robot opinions on TFW, where they encourage you to invent your own reality to justify your purchasing decisions.

So MP Kup is great. Totally outshines that MP Beachcomber. Which was hard as it was made of Platinum, cured cancer and world hunger, and was still in show accurate colors, just amazing. I mean man, who would have thought they could get FTL space travel and world peace out of a teal future truck, and then on top of that get Spiderman and the X-men back to Marvel in time for Avengers 3. Just perfect.

Random Question now that that's out of the way, does anyone remember a set of either G1 or G2 guys with spring loaded guns, they didn't fire missiles, just the guns popped out of holders, one of them was a red and blue motorcycle? I am having the hardest time finding their names.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Triggerbots. Motorcycle was Override

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Here have some Star Saber:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The reflection making it look like he's chained down it pretty excellent.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

catch22 posted:

Triggerbots. Motorcycle was Override

awesome, thanks.

Speaking of Triggerbots and the like, why can't Hasbro figure out that in terms of gimmicks we want to see, stuff like these guys, who were only minimally hampered by their gimmick would be amazing. (all cheap toys were mono-leg with no elbow joints at the time, and even some of the big guys were as well, so that's why I say "minimally") Those punch action guys look like they're going in the right step, but something feels off about them, probably proportions. Has anyone picked one up?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm actually kind of surprised how much interest there is in this thread for the MP Star Saber. Is it because you guys have watched the Japanese post-G1 shows? I have no nostalgic attachment to the character, so to me he's just a kind of garish robot who turns into a fairly generic jet. The jet "trailer" he merges with is kind of cool I guess, and I'd certainly pick up a domestically released deluxe or voyager tribute figure, but I just have no interest in something at that price tag.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Finally got to see some knock off stuff in the real world.

That optimus was kind of tempting, I'll admit.

Edit: Why cookie Rocket is a super rad boss hoopy frood.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 14, 2014

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I don't know Star Saber at all outside of his appearance in MTMTE. Neither him nor Dai Atlas were that interesting, but it is sort of remarkable how interesting they managed to be and how much I believed the intensity of their fight scene with only like 3 panels of build for either of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Star Saber is a dumb Gundam-colored super robot-ey looking thing and I will never understand people's rabid desire for it. At least, pre-IDW.

I would much rather that Masterpiece slot be taken up by something more interesting. Like Shockwave.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
At least he looks better than Magnus, I guess. Not fussed about getting him though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Star Saber is a dumb Gundam-colored super robot-ey looking thing and I will never understand people's rabid desire for it. At least, pre-IDW.
This is basically how I feel as well. I am hoping the paint scheme looks very IDW, and then I might go looking for one, but the original doesn't do much for me. 'Hunt down the infidels Star Saber' may offend some, but for me I'd rather have more variety, especially when it comes to neutral leaning characters.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Cassa posted:

Finally got to see some knock off stuff in the real world.

That optimus was kind of tempting, I'll admit.

Edit: Why cookie Rocket is a super rad boss hoopy frood.

If that Optimus is the same as this one then it's simplified, no knees for example

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Blackheart posted:

Here have some Star Saber:

Have a close up of Star Saber!

Well, I guess that counts as confirmation that we're never getting an MP Reflector set! :haw:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Other posted:

If that Optimus is the same as this one then it's simplified, no knees for example

No knees are a bummer, but a 16" Prime could make up for that in it's own ways.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

vkeios posted:

Yeah, they might be gone since it's been awhile but they had one of the Diaclone guns in box,the binoculars, and other random parts.

I'm usually just there to see what videogame stuff they've got in.

The Rage posted:

Billy Galaxy to me is the shittiest collectibles store in existence. Everybody raves about it, but once you're inside, it feels like you're just there to look at someones collection. Like every other hipster joke, only in Portland would a dude rent out store space in downtown to show off his collection.

The one and only time I've been in there I asked him about his graded comics behind the counter. I point blank asked him "Oh cool, is that the Death of Gwen Stacy issue?" Dude nods and goes "Yup" and walks back upstairs while his girlfriend/wife/employee/something sat and ate the most obnoxious smelling soup reading Pinterest on their computer/cash register. And nothing else was said, like a super vacuum of awkward after that.

Glad to hear i'm not the only one who finds the owner(s) to be rude.

I bet it was borscht!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I have no attachment to Star Saber, so I won't be snagging an MP version. I'm thinking of canceling my MP Magnus preorder, too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Captain Invictus posted:

I would much rather that Masterpiece slot be taken up by something more interesting. Like Shockwave.

Power armor gives me a boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I shared the picture but actually I don't know much or care about Star Saber. People who like him seem to be super happy about how the MP turned out, however.

Anyway here's more Magnus:

Rather than the actual colored product it looks like the earlier proto but digitally colored. I still like how he looks.