Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
The Marvel Select Unmasked ASM2 Spider-Man figure is available for sale now at Marvel Shop: http://shop.marvel.com/mp/15306/11762/?RMID=20140609_MRVL_ASM2ActionFig&RRID=17365301&CMP=EMC-eml

I was gonna get the firehat version that comes out this July, but I went ahead and ordered this one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Does anyone have the Groot Lower Torso that comes with Drax that they'd be willing to sell me?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
New Star Wars action figures announced! Your thinking "So what, we have a million of those don't we?". That's true, however it's who's making them that makes this exciting. S.H. Figuarts is going to be putting them out, makers of the awesome Power Rangers/Kamen Rider/Godzilla toys, to name a few. This along with the Iron Man 3 Figuarts that are coming out... I'm just gonna be broke.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

New Star Wars action figures announced! Your thinking "So what, we have a million of those don't we?". That's true, however it's who's making them that makes this exciting. S.H. Figuarts is going to be putting them out, makers of the awesome Power Rangers/Kamen Rider/Godzilla toys, to name a few. This along with the Iron Man 3 Figuarts that are coming out... I'm just gonna be broke.

HOLY poo poo!! This is amazing news!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's pretty awesome - esp. for any masked characters as they loving nail that poo poo down pact. Real faces not tooooo well (look at Indy (which is fixed by giving him stubble suprisingly)). Can't wait to see more.

Almost pulled the trigger on Space Godzilla today but ... no real connection to him and at $75 its not a "im bored, ill buy it" thing.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
More news, they're also doing this:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I thought that was a statue, but then I noticed the joints :stare:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That's pretty awesome - esp. for any masked characters as they loving nail that poo poo down pact. Real faces not tooooo well (look at Indy (which is fixed by giving him stubble suprisingly)). Can't wait to see more.

Its Bandai not Max Factory. Though their track record with faces isn't the greatest either; still would probably end up better than the Black Series imo

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

More news, they're also doing this:

This is the Movie Realization line, a spinoff of S.I.C. So expect him to be 7-8" tall and more fragile than your usual toy.

By the way, this little guy is from a S.I.C. spinoff line, so you can expect that kind of quality.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
It wouldn't be Star Wars if there wasn't way too goddam much of it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Welp, guess I can skip the Star Wars Black Vader, then. I have Boba and was only interested in getting Vader and Episode VI Luke, but I absolutely love my DBZ Figuarts, and they come with way more accessories and parts than the Black Series for only a bit more money. Only issue is whether they're going to scale these SH Figuarts appropriately. I know they're supposed to be 6'', but Vader's supposed to be extra tall. It'd be weird if he and Luke were the same height.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Vintersorg posted:

Almost pulled the trigger on Space Godzilla today but ... no real connection to him and at $75 its not a "im bored, ill buy it" thing.

I have Space Godzilla and he is awesome. I really like the sculpt. I also received my King Ghidorah last week and he already had the broken wing joint. :mad:
At least the insurance claim from USPS is basically meaning I will only have paid half price.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a definitive 6" scale Reed Richards? It's a shame they haven't made a Marvel Now (white) or a Future Foundation version of him.

On another topic, really hyped about the Star Wars Figuarts. I have an S.H. Figuarts War Machine and it's loving amazing and easily the best 6" scale action figure I've seen. However, they seemed to have really biffed the Alien Big Chap release and I'm glad I didn't preorder it. Wonder how that happened.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 12, 2014

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there a definitive 6" scale Reed Richards? It's a shame they haven't made a Marvel Now (white) or a Future Foundation version of him.

Negative. The ML5 version wasn't really good when it came out and sadly has been rereleased a bunch. The F4 Hasbro has a super pinhead and other oddities.

It's a shame that no one has done a good Reed or Sue. You got a couple of options with Johnny and the MS Ben is gorgeous. Most people use a Invisible movie Sue but Reed is just bad or worse.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I just want to build an Illuminati New Avengers or have a good Reed to pair with FF Doom.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Djarum posted:

It's a shame that no one has done a good Sue.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Stupid Sexy Flander thanks again for the Widow. I stopped by my folks place (my personal mailboxes etc) today and found her waiting for me.

Oh and extra thanks for the starbursts just in time for movie day!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
:D

Thought you'd dig em.

Glad she showed up looking good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was hoping to find this lil guy at the local Comic Con. Pretty happy with it. I love this design.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Please tell me at least one of you has a F4 setup with an empty peg for her.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

CelticPredator posted:

I was hoping to find this lil guy at the local Comic Con. Pretty happy with it. I love this design.

Great shot, that's some awesome detail on that figure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The craziest detail has to be the armor, which you can remove a peice of it to make it more accurate to when ol CP was about to lay his "final blow".

Like holy poo poo. Also, the base is killer. It's The alien who killed him's decapitated head. :D

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
Have there ever been any really good Punisher figures? I saw one at my local comic shop but he looked really derpy and his weapons were all bent up and warped looking.

I have a really small figure that I got for like 10 bucks at TRU about a year ago that looks decent but hes really small and doesn't stand up on his own very well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BlackCircle posted:

Have there ever been any really good Punisher figures? I saw one at my local comic shop but he looked really derpy and his weapons were all bent up and warped looking.

I have a really small figure that I got for like 10 bucks at TRU about a year ago that looks decent but hes really small and doesn't stand up on his own very well.

The Marvel Legends Punisher is one of my favorite figures:

There's one on Amazon for about $30, which sounds high, but it came out a while ago.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 6, 2014

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Red posted:

The Marvel Legends Punisher is one of my favorite figures:

There's one on Amazon for about $30, which sounds high, but it came out a while ago.

Frank's gonna shoot the hell out of the person who beefed it

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

NotAnArtist posted:

Frank's gonna shoot the hell out of the person who beefed it

I hate you for this. I laughed so hard I woke my wife and now I have to turn that figure away from me on the shelf.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So it sounds like Hasbro is finally getting on the bandwagon.

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=252&itemid=17680

All I can say is "It's about time." Although $23.99 a figure is pretty insane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Djarum posted:

That's only $2 more than TRU's current price on them. But you can bet your rear end the cost of those figures to retailers is going to be $15+.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Djarum posted:

It's insane how much retail grade toys' prices have increased. They're seriously getting to the point where if you want a figure, you may as well start looking at collector grade toys because you get a better paint and better sculpt with about the same quality in pose-ability. I feel bad for people who are buying these for their kids at this point.

Also I haven't been impressed with the fact that other than Groot, almost every recent BAF has basically been as big or smaller than regular line figures.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

RevKrule posted:

It's insane how much retail grade toys' prices have increased. They're seriously getting to the point where if you want a figure, you may as well start looking at collector grade toys because you get a better paint and better sculpt with about the same quality in pose-ability. I feel bad for people who are buying these for their kids at this point.

Also I haven't been impressed with the fact that other than Groot, almost every recent BAF has basically been as big or smaller than regular line figures.

At this point you're paying for the license and the brand. Honestly though the quality has jumped considerably compared to what they've done prior, which helps to offset the higher prices, but the price does eventually start to contend with things like Japanese offerings though there's still a large enough gap to keep people around.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

RevKrule posted:

It's insane how much retail grade toys' prices have increased.

I wasn't into marvel legends in their heyday, and I've been shopping around for a series 7 Apocalypse. So far it looks like I would end up paying $50, bare minimum. While hunting for a better price I found out that it used to retail for $9, and my jaw dropped. These things have more than doubled in price in under ten years, I can't think of any other retail item that's done that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

At this point you're paying for the license and the brand. Honestly though the quality has jumped considerably compared to what they've done prior, which helps to offset the higher prices, but the price does eventually start to contend with things like Japanese offerings though there's still a large enough gap to keep people around.

Well the price gap between the Japanese stuff is disappearing by the day. Legends are around 20-25 bucks now while the Japanese stuff is 40-80. The quality difference is staggering and they are easier to just buy from somewhere online instead of this hunting around nonsense the American market has had to deal with for decades now.

Honestly the US manufacturers are going to have to evolve or die. I hope that this is the first step. I don't mind spending a little more but I expect to get my money's worth. Every Japanese figure I have gotten I feel has over delivered while the Legends I have got have given my a lot of remorse on buying. If I were paying 12-15 dollars a pop I'd feel alright with what I am getting but at 20+ bucks what we are getting makes you wonder where your money is going to. Oil prices have been stable for awhile so that isn't a valid excuse.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Haha $9! Legends used to be $5.99 at Walmart. $9 was comic store prices.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Djarum posted:

Well the price gap between the Japanese stuff is disappearing by the day. Legends are around 20-25 bucks now while the Japanese stuff is 40-80. The quality difference is staggering and they are easier to just buy from somewhere online instead of this hunting around nonsense the American market has had to deal with for decades now.

Honestly the US manufacturers are going to have to evolve or die. I hope that this is the first step. I don't mind spending a little more but I expect to get my money's worth. Every Japanese figure I have gotten I feel has over delivered while the Legends I have got have given my a lot of remorse on buying. If I were paying 12-15 dollars a pop I'd feel alright with what I am getting but at 20+ bucks what we are getting makes you wonder where your money is going to. Oil prices have been stable for awhile so that isn't a valid excuse.

Oil is still expensive but they may still be using that as an excuse to keep prices high but I've also read that increased regulation in Chinese factories have lead to increased prices. Despite that though manufacturers like Hasbro need to change their distribution model instead of relying exclusively on retail outlets to sell their products. For example, Hasbro needs to get an actual online store going that can take pre-orders, that way they can gauge interest and sell directly to customers. Personally, I don't mind paying the $20 or so a figure if the quality is there (and just about all 6" figures these days are in that price range) but they sure don't make it easy to buy the figures sometimes.

e: and drat my first Legends figures were Sabretooth and Colossus and they were something like $7 each, which I thought was expensive at the time.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Materials have never really been as big a factor as people like to bring up. Toybiz made figures for about .50 a unit, Hasbro is probably making them at about 1.05 a unit nowadays. The real killer is the mandated corporate profit margins increasing constantly which drives up the MSRP a lot.

They run less product and up their margins which causes less people to buy. Then they fire everyone and cry that the boys market is a failure.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Heck, I still kick myself for passing on a Warpath/Deadpool two pack from a few years ago, not knowing that the secondary market would run into the 200 dollar mark just a few years later.

As for the Bandai/Figma or Hasbro choice, the upcoming Darth Vader figures really provide a test case. I plan on passing on the Black Series Vader and buying the Figuarts or Mafex version. I figure that the increased price is offset by not having to search high and low for the Hasbro version, while getting a much higher quality figure to boot.

Distribution has always seemed to be a huge problem. Why is it that up until now, I would be guaranteed to find a Figuarts for its base price for months before and months after its release, but there is a very narrow window for finding a desirable Marvel Legends figure at its retail price? Also, while some Figuarts end up selling for absurd amounts on the secondary market after a few years, there is always the very real possibility that the figure will be released again. Take a look at the Figuarts Piccolo for example of this. In contrast, there is literally no chance that the Deadpool/Warpath two pack will ever see a rerelease.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I wasn't into marvel legends in their heyday, and I've been shopping around for a series 7 Apocalypse. So far it looks like I would end up paying $50, bare minimum. While hunting for a better price I found out that it used to retail for $9, and my jaw dropped. These things have more than doubled in price in under ten years, I can't think of any other retail item that's done that.

Hot Toys

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Standard Hot Toys RRP has increased but not quite doubled, I don't think, The first one I bought was ~$150 in 2010 and the most recent one I bought was ~$220 this year. Yes the price has gone up but it's not double.

Secondary market however....that's a different story. Those things sell out and you're lucky paying 2X.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair though. HT has done some serious improving on their line, and has included some amazing stuff on a few of the figures, plus the options like light up LEDs and whatnot. Mostly the $$$$ figures are either licenses that cost a ton, or stuff like big metal parts.

Legends used to have a big base and a weapon maybe, now it's part of a figure. They have started including alternate hands and maybe a headsculpt though, so it doesn't feel like a complete ripoff most of the time.

I don't think I've bought one for myself as just a figure to have since... the DOOM that came with the little castle wall mount thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Wow, the toy gods giveth and the toy gods taketh away I guess. Thanks for prompting me to look up what my Hot Toys General Ursus (the only HT I own) is going for these days, I could buy 9 ML Apocalypses for that!