Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Seguleh are not ascendants.
Well, except for Rake then, but that was more by accident.

OST Spoiler
The entire race is on the verge of ascendancy. Moranth too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I honestly can't remember which book this is from, but (re: Moranth) the Moranth split from the Barghast. The Barghast arrived in their canoes fleeing from the Edur. The group that split off to become the Moranth made some decision about the Edur that the main group of Barghast were totally against (forgave them? didn't want an endless war? I forgot) and were outcast. They became the Moranth who have their buggy armor and ride on giant dragonflies while dropping bombs.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

OST Spoiler

Well considering what happens in OST there is not that much left of the Seguleh to ascend .
Also, gently caress this entire universe.
I have reread the whole series twice, and have reread most of Esslemonts books and it is still not enough to keep track of everything.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

OST Spoiler

IIRC this is in the mundane sense, not the Malazan sense.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I read that along the lines of "this culture was on the height of its rule" thing. Mass ascensions are probably pretty rare given all the noise the Bridgeburners get - and that may have quite well been caused by Paran fixing the game.
Also I think the Barghast/Moranth split was actually that the Moranth continued to trade with the Edur (before, we can assume, Edur fell into the decline we are seeing when Midnight Tides roll in). I'd love to see a book focused on the Moranth - they seem to have devolved from a seafaring/trader culture to an extremely isolationist and clan-based one - Erikson's take on that could be amazing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Spermy Smurf posted:

OST Spoiler

I'm pretty sure this was brought up a little while ago, and it turned out all of the references to their ascendancy had to do with their culture and not with them actually becoming ascendants.

e: well f;b I guess

Zeitgueist posted:

It's worth mentioning that the whole series evolved out of a GURPS campaign, so while the authors have evolved their ideas past the generic archetypes, you can still see where they began.

Andii -> Dark, Light, and Twilight/gray elves
Jaghut -> Orcs

Doesn't work on all of them, and certainly they have played around with them, but you can still kinda see it.
I mean, I don't really see it past those two, and even the Jaghut -> Orc idea is stretching it, IMO.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Also I think the Moranth are semi-insectoid? But that may just be their armor. I don't think they're related to the Toblakai at all, but I could be misremembering or just wrong. I don't know that we ever see a Moranth sans armor.
As far as we know, it's only their armor, and as far as we know, we haven't. But, I mean, who knows. The way it's set up, he could easily (and lazily) go "oh the Moranth look like this and you actually met one out of their armor in Book 4!" and we'll all be annoyed. The Moranth and Barghast IIRC share a common ancestor - the sea people whose canoes the Barghast find below uhh....that one city.

quote:

The super warriors with the masks, are they just hypertrianed humans/partial ascendants or something?

Pretty much hyper-trained. Despite disagreeing with Smurf on this, I could see a spergy argument for racial ascendancy, actually not despite so many of them dying as noted by a previous poster, but because of it, but I'm fairly sure nothing in the books says this.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I read that along the lines of "this culture was on the height of its rule" thing. Mass ascensions are probably pretty rare given all the noise the Bridgeburners get - and that may have quite well been caused by Paran fixing the game.

It was caused by the Tanno Spiritwalker making a BB song after taking Fiddler's memories or something along those lines. There is some passage in the book that hints at Spiritwalker songs having the power to cause ascension.

e: found it, from DG:

quote:

' A Spiritwalker's sorcery was sung, no other rituals were required. Although devoted to peace, the power in a Tano song was said to be immense...There is in a Tano song the potential for Ascendancy...'

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 13, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC this is in the mundane sense, not the Malazan sense.

On another retread, and the exact quote was posted on page 106 I think... Yeah, I guess it meant two races that are on the upswing to awesomeness and not two immortal races.

Huh. Well gently caress.

Edit: but saying 'ascendants' is not capitalized means he meant it in the normal way rather than the almost-god way is a bullshit answer.

Take Silchas in Reapers Gale... "Understand me, Fear Sengar. I will not countenance freeing the soul of Scabandri Bloodeye. This world has enough reprehensible ascendants."

Does that also mean that Bloodeye, who was almost a god, was merely a dude on the upward swing of his career just because the 'a' is not capitalized? I guess I am still not convinced that the entire moranth and Seguleh races are not about to ascend.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 14, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Habibi posted:

I mean, I don't really see it past those two, and even the Jaghut -> Orc idea is stretching it, IMO.

T'Lan Imass are your pretty standard legions of the undead with a few twists

Karsa is your classic barbarian class and the whole of the Toblakai and their offshots basically are ogres.

Forkrul Assail I've got nothin' for though

I think the physical description of the Jaghut definitely came out of orcs but Eriksson took it and stretched it a lot from there.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
I read once the Jaghut were his nod to the green martians in John Carter of Mars but they definitely carry the orc angle to some degree

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aranan posted:

I honestly can't remember which book this is from, but (re: Moranth) the Moranth split from the Barghast. The Barghast arrived in their canoes fleeing from the Edur. The group that split off to become the Moranth made some decision about the Edur that the main group of Barghast were totally against (forgave them? didn't want an endless war? I forgot) and were outcast. They became the Moranth who have their buggy armor and ride on giant dragonflies while dropping bombs.

This was from Memories of Ice iirc. We find out a lot about both factions in that one city that the first half of the book revolves around.

Edit: Capustan.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In my head the jaghut look more like WoW trolls than orcs... lanky and tusked rather than stocky and muscular.

One thing I love though about malazan universe is how much its not Tolkien or WoW though, and equating Erickson races with other fantasy archetypes won't do you many favors other than trying to picture them in your head.

Ps I do fine with battle scenes but whenever people are talking to a kchain chemalle all I can picture is Bossk from empire strikes back

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

pile of brown posted:

In my head the jaghut look more like WoW trolls than orcs... lanky and tusked rather than stocky and muscular.

One thing I love though about malazan universe is how much its not Tolkien or WoW though, and equating Erickson races with other fantasy archetypes won't do you many favors other than trying to picture them in your head.

Ps I do fine with battle scenes but whenever people are talking to a kchain chemalle all I can picture is Bossk from empire strikes back

The funny thing is that is more how I internally pictured Jaghut than orcs or Warcraft trolls, as I always thought of them as halfway lizard people (minus the scales). But yeah, outside of the Andii, who share certain cultural and magical characteristics with traditional elves, the best that could be said about any of the other races is that they bear some superficial similarities to certain DnD archetypes. But that's about as deep as it goes.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

pile of brown posted:

I've always picture kchain chemalle like this dude's drawing of a lizard man but with a much more reptilian head and skin sort of like an amphibian, smooth and moist. And of course with giant loving swords instead of hands.

The way they describe them fighting doesn't have me thinking of something lithe but rather something hulking and part of what makes them so horrifying is the speed with which they move their bulk

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BobFromMarketing posted:

I've always picture kchain chemalle like this dude's drawing of a lizard man but with a much more reptilian head and skin sort of like an amphibian, smooth and moist. And of course with giant loving swords instead of hands.

The way they describe them fighting doesn't have me thinking of something lithe but rather something hulking and part of what makes them so horrifying is the speed with which they move their bulk

They're literally velociraptors with swords for arms (at least the primary footsoldiers are). So they would be both pretty bulky and fast as poo poo.

The image you linked puts me more in mind of the Nah'ruk.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Habibi posted:

They're literally velociraptors with swords for arms (at least the primary footsoldiers are). So they would be both pretty bulky and fast as poo poo.

The image you linked puts me more in mind of the Nah'ruk.

Yeah I realize how they describe them, I just think what I picture looks better so I continue to picture it. Unless HBO makes it a series I wont ever have to deal with the reality of my false image!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BobFromMarketing posted:

Yeah I realize how they describe them, I just think what I picture looks better so I continue to picture it. Unless HBO makes it a series I wont ever have to deal with the reality of my false image!

HBO wouldn't touch this series with a pole. Even if it was as long as Ublala.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Habibi posted:

HBO wouldn't touch this series with a pole. Even if it was as long as Ublala.

I really think this series in general would be hard to do justice on any sort of visual representation other than perhaps artwork.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BobFromMarketing posted:

I really think this series in general would be hard to do justice on any sort of visual representation other than perhaps artwork.

Well, they used to say that about Lord of the Rings, and that got Hollywooded pretty decently, if you don't mind removing just about everything but the fights. Malazan could get that sort of treatment.
Whether it'd end up being any good is another question though.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
For me, the K'Chain Che'Malle are either or my avatar.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Well, they used to say that about Lord of the Rings, and that got Hollywooded pretty decently, if you don't mind removing just about everything but the fights. Malazan could get that sort of treatment.
Whether it'd end up being any good is another question though.

Even at one movie per book, you'd need to trim so much detail and nuance that the finished product would likely lack most things that made it so good in the first place.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Much like the TV series Game of Thrones

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Speaking of which, in the latest finale of GoT was I the only one thinking:

'Hood Damned T'lan Imass!' When Bran and co had their fight scene?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

e: ^^^ that finale was just completely underwhelming most respects, just like pretty much every finale they've had.

Opal posted:

Much like the TV series Game of Thrones

Except even more so.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you remove all of the hand-wringing, self-loathing, and internal pontificating on the virtues of nihilism, they might be able to get each book into a 2-3 hour movie, or 4-6 episodes on HBO. I'd love to see the sales pitch: "So we've got these undead cavemen, right? And they hate these loners with ~Ice Powers~, but sometimes these velociraptors with swords for arms come in and just gently caress everyone up, and then there are these soldiers running around under a mountain that flies and..."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

If you remove all of the hand-wringing, self-loathing, and internal pontificating on the virtues of nihilism, they might be able to get each book into a 2-3 hour movie, or 4-6 episodes on HBO. I'd love to see the sales pitch: "So we've got these undead cavemen, right? And they hate these loners with ~Ice Powers~, but sometimes these velociraptors with swords for arms come in and just gently caress everyone up, and then there are these soldiers running around under a mountain that flies and..."

Even with all that there's no way. The central plot is several times more complicated than GoT, and even with a miniseries per book they're dumbing some things down to near incomprehensibility.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ideally each theoretical miniseries would follow one thread in the malazan series, with maybe a british style christmas special to mash everything together for DoD/tCG.....narrated by good friend Kruppe.

action miniseries=karsa the barbarian
twlight miniseries=nemander & co get hosed up, unfucked up, refucked up, etc travelling to black coral
band of brothers miniseries=the bridgeburners throughout memories of ice ending
assasins creed miniseries=quick ben, kalam, cutter & aspalar-sorry meet iskalar pust & visit malaz city
blackadder series= Bauchelain & Korbal Broach series cut into as many episodes as needed.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
So I've been trying to find a good image of a Jhagut, but all I can find on Google is fan-art that looks like orcs. Is there any good Erikson approved jhag(ut) art? There isn't anything like that on the covers of the books I own. Or do they just look exactly like orcs? I always pictured something a bit more regal than that.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
This is the only decent attempt:

In general, yeah, more like trolls than orcs. Though I prefer things to stand on their own instead of just thinking of what you already seen.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

User posted:

So I've been trying to find a good image of a Jhagut, but all I can find on Google is fan-art that looks like orcs. Is there any good Erikson approved jhag(ut) art? There isn't anything like that on the covers of the books I own. Or do they just look exactly like orcs? I always pictured something a bit more regal than that.

I've always been partial to this image, but I didn't realize until finding this shot of it that it was from an actual printing of GotM:

e: from here, in case you want to see more from that same edition.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Not gonna lie I'd freaking kill for a show narrated by good friend Kruppe. Partially because anyone who had not read the books would probably hate him with a flaming passion.

Anyone know of a pen and paper rpg ruleset based on the malazan setting. I know it originated from a gurps campaign but I'd really love to run a campaign in that world.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The whole point of GURPS is that the setting didn't drive the core rules. I don't know of any system expressly designed for it, however. D20 would oversimplify it. Rolemaster would need modified soul departure rules, but could work.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

BobFromMarketing posted:

Not gonna lie I'd freaking kill for a show narrated by good friend Kruppe. Partially because anyone who had not read the books would probably hate him with a flaming passion.

Anyone know of a pen and paper rpg ruleset based on the malazan setting. I know it originated from a gurps campaign but I'd really love to run a campaign in that world.
There's rumors of one coming out, but some d20 company is involved. If it's d20, it will be awful. If it's Pathfinder compatible, like such things tend to be, it will be total poo poo. Square pegs, round holes...

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2014/06/steven-erikson-hints-that-malazan-rpg.html

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I honestly don't understand the general fascination with Pathfinder either.
Is it D&D 3.5.2? Is it a cash grab?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

tuluk posted:

I honestly don't understand the general fascination with Pathfinder either.
Is it D&D 3.5.2? Is it a cash grab?

D&D switched from the 3.5 system to the 4th edition system (in 2007? Somewhere thereabouts). Pathfinder was a setting from Paizo, an independent publisher, that used D&D 3.5 rules under WotC's open gaming license. It got a surge of popularity when a bunch of gamers who didn't like 4th edition switched over and started buying Pathfinder books instead of D&D books.

That's basically it, though the story may change based on who's telling it and what their opinions of Wizards of the Coast and Paizo are. Personally I think "edition wars" are pretty stupid so in this case it's cool that both sides ended up with what they wanted, more or less. (It would have been nice if the 4th players and Pathfinder players could have just been happy with it, instead of bickering endlessly, but that's how these things go.)

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Pathfinder fixed a lot of obtuse and overpowered things in 3.5 like Grappling and end game magic. It really is just D&D 3.75 for those of us who don't particularly enjoy 4th ed. My group tends to play Pathfinder if we do a d20 pen and paper but we are pretty open to most kinds although we weren't big fans of Rogue Trader. I am really glad to hear a Malazan setting is comming "soon"

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Pathfinder also has pretty solid conversion charts for just about everything 3.5 has, which alongside the smoothed out wrinkles and magic balance is pretty nice. As much as I think playing some sessions in the Malazan-verse would be fun, reading the books always made me want to create something just as detailed more than join in on the fun. Not that I'd really say no to lobbing cusser bolts at Dragons while my character screams "loving dragons"

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

re: Pathfinder & DND 3.5 stuff

thanks for the clarifications. I bailed out of D&D PnP gaming around the time that 2nd edition D&D killed TSR.
aka I understand D&D basic/expert/companion editions, AD&D 1st & 2nd editions because I grew playing them.

Everytime I think about catching back up with D&D, the ruleset changes in 3E D&D & then D&D 3.5E really confuse the hell out me.
4E D&D being card based killed my desire to play it, and I have no idea what to think about D&D Next besides...."please don't turn into RIFTS".

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's totally the wrong thread (there's a whole Pathfinder thread in TG) but Pathfinder is actually really, really quite good, and very simple to pick up. It's easily the game I'd pick if I wanted to intro someone to RPG's, these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

thanks again.

Back to malazan discussion. I see that The Wurms of Blearmouth is due out in 18 days.
http://amzn.com/0765376229

I have been waiting for Esslemont to finish up his followup malazan series before getting into them.
Hopefully Tor Books or amazon will offer a Esslemont physical/ebook megabundle for sale.