Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PrBacterio posted:

With Mario games at least, there is that "Donald Duck problem" of that giving such a character a full speaking role just turns out weird. It's why in Duck Tales they had the conceit of sending Donald away to the Navy and have Scrooge take in the nephews. That's why Mario games should stick with minimal story and basically no voice acting, exactly like they did with 3D World. On the other hand, Nintendo seem to have taken away from that the lesson that NONE of their games in their major franchises should be fully voice acted, which is some stupid bullshit. There's no reason, basically, why a Zelda game, for example, shouldn't be fully voice acted in this day and age.

This is a man who has never read the Carl Barks Donald Duck comics. And for that I pity him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

So lets just get this straight Nintendo tried worded voice acting once and it was awful and therefore it should never be tried again? Despite every other studio doing voice acting and it works a large majority of the time.

Nintendo still hires voice actors but then pays them to speak nothing but gibberish but still gives the games walls of text.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Animal Crossing speak owns and should be used in all games regardless of context or platform.

That's my official stance on the topic.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

This is a man who has never read the Carl Barks Donald Duck comics. And for that I pity him.
I've read all of them, actually. But now try to imagine any of those stories being made into an animated film, with Donald saying all of that dialogue in his classic Donald Duck voice. That poo poo would be so grating and get on your nerves basically instantly. And they typical episode of Duck Tales, for instance, is very much inspired by the stories from Carl Barks. Only they were smart enough to find a reason to have Donald Duck out of the picture.
Similarly, in those Mario games that DO have a more intricate story element, like the RPG's, they wisely went with text bubbles for all in-game dialog. The same thing, however, should not apply to Zelda.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

I've read all of them, actually. But now try to imagine any of those stories being made into an animated film, with Donald saying all of that dialogue in his classic Donald Duck voice. That poo poo would be so grating and get on your nerves basically instantly. And they typical episode of Duck Tales, for instance, is very much inspired by the stories from Carl Barks. Only they were smart enough to find a reason to have Donald Duck out of the picture.
Similarly, in those Mario games that DO have a more intricate story element, like the RPG's, they wisely went with text bubbles for all in-game dialog. The same thing, however, should not apply to Zelda.

Pretty sure Donald spoke in Kingdom hearts.

That and they do full on speaking poo poo for commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYa7G467_Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSY98rBOca0

Mind you wario spoke in his first commercial when they introduced his first gameboy game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Honestly voice acting is fine but as a veteran of Lucasarts games I'm someone who likes to skip through dialogue as soon as I've read the subtitles. Video game writing sucks across the board so it's not like I'm going to be emotionally captivated by an acting performance.

Every video game is voiced by the same person anyway, Nolan North. Well, him and Steve Blum.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Every video game is voiced by the same person anyway, Nolan North. Well, him and Steve Blum.

You forgot Tara Strong, voice of every girl creature ever.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Pretty sure Donald spoke in Kingdom hearts.
Donald is a lot more coherent these days than he was back in the old shorts. They can get away with having him speak a lot of dialogue when they need to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The only thing that makes text dialogue bad is when I can't speed it up or skip to the next dialogue box.

The early Phoenix Wright games made you sit and wait as each letter was rendered one by one, but it let you fast forward AFTER BEATING IT :negative:

Zelda is pretty bad with this too as text traditionally scrolls really slowly in those games, making "YOU GOT FIVE RUPEES! HOLY gently caress" even more obnoxious.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

J-Spot posted:

Donald is a lot more coherent these days than he was back in the old shorts. They can get away with having him speak a lot of dialogue when they need to.

You also have series like Rayman where the characters speak in full dialogue. Even if it's entirely pig latin, none of them sound off or weird doing so. Just having plain banjo kazooie giberish does make it sound really weird and detached though.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

J-Spot posted:

Disney consciously made him more coherent after people thought he used the n word in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

Disney consciously made him more coherent after people thought he used the n word in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Sounds awfully familiar to a recent game that had that same problem.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Right, it's probably not as clear-cut as I made it out to be, but still, in general with characters like Mario or Donald Duck, who have well-established, extremely "weird" and hard to understand or grating voices or accents, giving some thought to the matter of, do you REALLY want to give that character a big speaking role with lots of dialogue, is probably worth some consideration. As I said, from what I remember it was the main reason why they found an excuse to move Donald out of the picture early on in Duck Tales.

EDIT: And yes, they then went on to just make Donald's voice less grating later on to get rid of that problem.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 14, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Another reason why they shouldn't allow voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27ZsrQ_wFE

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

Right, it's probably not as clear-cut as I made it out to be, but still, in general with characters like Mario or Donald Duck, who have well-established, extremely "weird" and hard to understand or grating voices or accents, giving some thought to the matter of, do you REALLY want to give that character a big speaking role with lots of dialogue, is probably worth some consideration. As I said, from what I remember it was the main reason why they found an excuse to move Donald out of the picture early on in Duck Tales.

Yet people in the Xenoblade thread are up in arms because the Main Character might not speak and no memorable dialogue might happen.

That and Duck tales gave us the popular version of Scrooge and Scrooge was always better than Donald.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

As an owner of the video game Xenoblade I can tell you that memorable dialogue is not what I got out of it.

Not-obnoxious dialogue, for the most part, I got that out of it. And I was grateful for that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e: wrong thread sorry

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

As an owner of the video game Xenoblade I can tell you that memorable dialogue is not what I got out of it.

Not-obnoxious dialogue, for the most part, I got that out of it. And I was grateful for that.

I think people just liked the sound of British Accents in an anime game.

However you have poo poo on the other end of the spectrum like Arc Rise Fantasia. Which is a crime to skip any dialogue in that game because you can tell that half of it was recorded over a phone(they even leave in the static) and one of them had a real bad head cold.

I thought Tales of Xillia did a pretty good job with the voices, even though one of the Japanese speaking stylistic choices for one of the characters turned into a rough lisp.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

So how long until they run out of guys and try to make 2014 versions of Candy Kong, Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong and other characters who have not appeared in a game in over a decade?

Fire Emblem: Awakening alone could get milked for years.

I unironically hope they do so.

E: Kid Icarus: Uprising was fully voiced and all of it was fantastically well done.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 14, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yet people in the Xenoblade thread are up in arms because the Main Character might not speak and no memorable dialogue might happen.

That and Duck tales gave us the popular version of Scrooge and Scrooge was always better than Donald.

Feh, the Scrooge in Duck Tales couldn't hold a candle to how he was done by either Carl Barks or Don Rosa.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PrBacterio posted:

There's no reason, basically, why a Zelda game, for example, shouldn't be fully voice acted in this day and age.

Voice acting sucks and is a stupid thing to waste money on. Zelda games need about 1/4th the dialogue they've been putting in, not more focus on the lovely story and characters.

Every Zelda game worth comparison showed a lot more brevity, with Link's Awakening having just a bit too much garbage text.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

Feh, the Scrooge in Duck Tales couldn't hold a candle to how he was done by either Carl Barks or Don Rosa.

Yeah but people would not have given that much of a poo poo about any version of Scrooge if it wasn't for Ducktales.

All of CB's work was solid so just having Duck Tales act as sort of an introduction was not a bad thing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You are comparing voice acting in full blown 80 hour RPGs to voice acting in a story-less platformer. Donkey Kong doesn't speak because he's too busy wrecking bitches to care. Do you want him to sit in front of King K Rool and give him a long diatribe about how he's going to shove bananas up his rear end? Like, what is he supposed to say?

Did you see what WayForward did to DuckTales? All that did was give me an extra thing to skip before I could play the drat game.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

Don Rosa is basically a Scrooge McDuck fan fiction writer and I shudder every time I see someone mention him in the same breath as Carl Barks :argh:

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

The Taint Reaper posted:

So how long until they run out of guys and try to make 2014 versions of Candy Kong, Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong and other characters who have not appeared in a game in over a decade?

Also the one thing that bothered me about the Tropical Freeze is that they have voice actors but all they're speaking is gibberish when it's entirely possible to have characters like funky kong move their lips to form words. Like he's well animated and all but he sounds like a Japanese Edo Period Re-Enactor having a stroke. It just looks weird at this point because he's speaking in full english text in the speech bubble. I mean they spent money to hire VA's already why not just have them say full on words since they're writing those words out into a text bubble anyways.

what the gently caress do you want donkey kong to say? "Yahoo i got my bananas back!!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Phantasium posted:

You are comparing voice acting in full blown 80 hour RPGs to voice acting in a story-less platformer. Donkey Kong doesn't speak because he's too busy wrecking bitches to care. Do you want him to sit in front of King K Rool and give him a long diatribe about how he's going to shove bananas up his rear end? Like, what is he supposed to say?

Did you see what WayForward did to DuckTales? All that did was give me an extra thing to skip before I could play the drat game.

Donkey Kong speaks at the intro of every level. He does the chest beating and the impersonated gorilla noises.

But you do have characters in the game that already give walls of text like Funky Kong. So it makes no sense why they can't speak actual word when they're speaking gibberish and the words are written on the screen. You don't need long paragraphs to make voice actors useful(like Rayman Legends and origins) but when you have the words already there and the characters are just talking gibberish it's just really really really strange. Especially when they're moving their mouths even after the short blip of gibberish has ended.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Taint Reaper posted:

Donkey Kong speaks at the intro of every level. He does the chest beating and the impersonated gorilla noises.

fyi he actually is a gorilla

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Voice acting sucks

Psychonauts :colbert:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

elf help book posted:

fyi he actually is a gorilla

No that's a man making gorilla noises.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm hear to eat bananas and slap some motherfuckers and i'm all outta bananas -Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

No that's a man making gorilla noises.
hosed up if true.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

homeless snail posted:

I'm hear to eat bananas and slap some motherfuckers and i'm all outta bananas -Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze 2014

Well it is also kinda weird that every single other Kong can speak english except for Donkey. Like you can assume he's like one of the inbred kongs and the only job he was able to get was working at a barrel factory.

I think Diddy they just picked up at a truck stop because he's not even a gorilla, and I think they murdered that Orangutan Kong in a cult ritual.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What the Metroid series needed was voice acting, thankfully Other "the baby" M is here to satisfy this crucial need in my life

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think you have to be fundamentally broken on some level to go "Tropical Freeze was loving incredible and pure gaming bliss and all, but I need fully voiced characters."

"What is a Kong?"

-The evil penguin dude

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I actually think you're going to be seeing fewer and fewer games with full voice acting, not because it's impractical but because the ratio of AAA to Indie titles is shifting and shifting quickly. So it's just a matter of budget. Although any first-party title from any of the Big Three should still have the budget to have voice acting. But there will just be less of it in gaming in general, as the number of big budget titles per year continues to shrink until we're down to just the annualized games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Austrian mook posted:

I think you have to be fundamentally broken on some level to go "Tropical Freeze was loving incredible and pure gaming bliss and all, but I need fully voiced characters."

"What is a Kong?"

-The evil penguin dude

I beat tropical Freeze and it seemed to me atleast that it fell short of Rayman legends. It seems to be a fair comparison because Tropical Freeze and origins was pretty much the same in structure right down to the three objectives per level.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'll agree with you only in that Rayman Legends, like Origins, is the closest thing to a Nintendo game not released by Nintendo, in that it throws every possible brainstormed idea into the game, so every level has something really unique about it, and that keeps it fresh and fun the whole way. Tropical Freeze has a lot of variety to it, but not on the level of Rayman or Mario Galaxy. So when it gets really brutal near the end, the incentive to keep pushing is not as strong.

It's still a really good game, though. And I did eventually go back and unlock the secret worlds. I beat one of those fuckers and then just went on Youtube and watched the other two. Holy gently caress those are hard.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I'll agree with you only in that Rayman Legends, like Origins, is the closest thing to a Nintendo game not released by Nintendo, in that it throws every possible brainstormed idea into the game, so every level has something really unique about it, and that keeps it fresh and fun the whole way. Tropical Freeze has a lot of variety to it, but not on the level of Rayman or Mario Galaxy. So when it gets really brutal near the end, the incentive to keep pushing is not as strong.

It's still a really good game, though. And I did eventually go back and unlock the secret worlds. I beat one of those fuckers and then just went on Youtube and watched the other two. Holy gently caress those are hard.

Yeah the extra stages can be a pain and I did do something similar with the youtube videos. They helped with the timing and everything it took me like 6 or 7 tries per levels.

Then again I also beat Dk 64 to 100% and I was glad to see most of the collectables go with the Wii and Wii-U games. The newer Donkey Kongs feel really short IMO though, like both of them combined could have been one solid game.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 14, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Then again I also beat Dk 64 to 100%

I'm so, so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm so, so sorry.

It took me 80 hours and 52 minutes. And I also got really good at ye olden Donkey Kong and Jetpac.\

Still not as gruling as watching all the episodes from the Donkey Kong TV show though.

• Locked thread