Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I got my first mechanical keyboard! :toot: CM Quickfire XT with brown switches. It's pretty rad.

Only downside is now I have to buy a second one because going from a mechanical at home to a lovely rubber dome at work is the worst. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I got my first mechanical keyboard! :toot: CM Quickfire XT with brown switches. It's pretty rad.

Only downside is now I have to buy a second one because going from a mechanical at home to a lovely rubber dome at work is the worst. :argh:

I did the exact same thing and don't regret it one bit.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I bought a tenkeyless for the sole purpose of being able to carry it around in my bag when I go to work and back.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Skiant posted:

I bought a tenkeyless for the sole purpose of being able to carry it around in my bag when I go to work and back.

It didn't even occur to me that it could easily fit in my bag! I was just trying to maximize my limited desk space.

Welp, so long :10bux:

Soviet
Jul 17, 2003

stick it in me
I currently have a Rosewill with cherry blues as my main keyboard at home. Unfortunately, it's way too loud for me to use at work without annoying other people. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for something that would be a good compromise between the way blues feel and noise level. I've previously used black alps (ugh) and cherry reds, and I vastly prefer cherry blues to both. I haven't had a chance to try any other types of switches, though. Price range is $200.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Soviet posted:

I currently have a Rosewill with cherry blues as my main keyboard at home. Unfortunately, it's way too loud for me to use at work without annoying other people. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for something that would be a good compromise between the way blues feel and noise level. I've previously used black alps (ugh) and cherry reds, and I vastly prefer cherry blues to both. I haven't had a chance to try any other types of switches, though. Price range is $200.

Try browns. They still have the tactile feel, without the clickity clack.

Soviet
Jul 17, 2003

stick it in me

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Try browns. They still have the tactile feel, without the clickity clack.

I'll check them out.

I actually just found out that there's cherry greens now, and I was wondering if anyone has used those. Apparently they're quieter than blues, but they have 80 actuation force/105 bottom out vs 50/65 on the blue.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Soviet posted:

I'll check them out.

I actually just found out that there's cherry greens now, and I was wondering if anyone has used those. Apparently they're quieter than blues, but they have 80 actuation force/105 bottom out vs 50/65 on the blue.

I haven't tried them either, but I believe they are going to have that clickity clack you are trying to avoid at work.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I have a CODE keyboard with MX Greens and o-rings. Its a pretty great combo, and way way more silent than even my blues with orings. Still reasonably noisy, but probably the best balance of tactile/noise. It takes a lot to get used to how heavy greens are after blues, for the first week or so it felt like I was fighting my keyboard.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I have used most of the cherry switches. The MX greens have a similar noise level to the blues, but not quite as loud. I haven't tried either with o-rings though. I returned my greens board because I thought it was too heavy and my fingers were getting tired even after having it for two weeks.

If you still want the good tactile feel, there are the browns and the clears, which are heavier browns (force and bigger bump). I'm using the clears now so I'm probably biased.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
My mx cherry keyboard is getting chatter on the E key. I've tried a few things to fix it but nothing is working so far. :( Extremely annoying.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

alex314 posted:

Will you ship it to Poland?

Member since 2007 and still no private messages?
Was selling for $170 Canadian, shipping to Poland is $52 through Canada Post, I'd settle for $200?

We can take this to emails if you want, kskoba at gmail.

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
I just got the Cherry MX tester kit from Max Keyboard and I get it now. Any suggestions for a simple tenkeyless keyboard with MX browns that's in stock? Mac compatible, don't need backlight, swappable Caps/Escape would be nice. The KUL ES-87 looks like a good option.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Just got a Topre Type Heaven and it's probably the nicest keyboard I've owned to date that isn't an actual old keyboard (I also have an Apple Extended II and an Apple Wireless A1016). Any idea where to get some replacement keycaps, like a non-OS specific super key (windows key) or maybe the colored escape key, etc.?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Opioid posted:

Member since 2007 and still no private messages?
Was selling for $170 Canadian, shipping to Poland is $52 through Canada Post, I'd settle for $200?

We can take this to emails if you want, kskoba at gmail.

80% of my time here is spent reading LPs, I cannot be arsed to buy a drat avatar, why should I spend :10bux: on pm's?
Mail sent.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Debating between ducky shine 3, and the Corsair K70. Kind of like the idea of the wrist rest, but the ducky shine has purple LEDs!

Anyone can talk about quality difference between the two?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Isn't the K70 only 2/3rds mechanical?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^^e: No, those were the K60 and K90, which have been out of production for a long time. The K65, K70 & K95 are fully mechanical save for the trivial media keys.

Phiberoptik posted:

Debating between ducky shine 3, and the Corsair K70. Kind of like the idea of the wrist rest, but the ducky shine has purple LEDs!

Anyone can talk about quality difference between the two?
Ducky has nicer keycaps and a standard size bottom row.

Ducky makes a high quality product, but the problem is that if something does go wrong it becomes a real pain. They're not a US company and don't have offices in the US, so service gets into crap like international shipping. It'll get fixed, but you might be without your board for months. People in this thread have had corsair boards that were functional but with uneven backlights and gotten them fixed promptly. So for reliability I'd give corsair the win even if the two probably have roughly the same failure rate.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 12, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The media keys on the k70 are pretty decent too for what they are. The knurled volume knob is excellent.

It's nice that the K70's wrist rest is detachable, and it's done in an easy to remove/reattach way. I used to have an MS keyboard ages ago with a detachable that just would not detach without nearly snapping it.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Yeah, I have a horrible habbit of resting my wrist on my desk so having a wrist rest might be good to put it at a slightly better angle.

WASD keyboards look pretty cool but are pricey.

Alternatively,
http://www.ncix.com/detail/topre-se17t0-realforce-capacitive-switches-1b-86199-1068.htm

is on sale. Are topres okay for gaming? I type/code a lot, but also play a lot of MOBAS/FPS.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Phiberoptik posted:

Yeah, I have a horrible habbit of resting my wrist on my desk so having a wrist rest might be good to put it at a slightly better angle.

WASD keyboards look pretty cool but are pricey.

Alternatively,
http://www.ncix.com/detail/topre-se17t0-realforce-capacitive-switches-1b-86199-1068.htm

is on sale. Are topres okay for gaming? I type/code a lot, but also play a lot of MOBAS/FPS.

They aren't the best for gaming. They're essentially really nice rubber domes with a consistent firing depth that you don't have to bottom out.

I prefer the action on linear cherry switches for gaming.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I got a Cherry MX sampler and I like the MX browns, but am still hesitant to drop big bucks on a mechanical keyboard. Are there any good budget options with them? Monoprice has a board for under $50, but it only seems to come with MX blues.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I got a Cherry MX sampler and I like the MX browns, but am still hesitant to drop big bucks on a mechanical keyboard. Are there any good budget options with them? Monoprice has a board for under $50, but it only seems to come with MX blues.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-keyboard-sgk4000gkcm1us

I have one of those and they not-infrequently drop down to ~55 on Newegg. If you're interested, just set up a price alert and I'd guess you'll see a sale in the next month or so.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Thanks for the fast reply, but I should have mentioned I need a 104-key. :v:

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Think I'm gonna pickup the K70. Love the media keys, and wrist rest seems nice. The fact it seems easy to clean is a huge plus too, as I eat a lot at my computer.

One question I had is it easy to get replacement key caps for it if I wanted a different color? Also, can anyone speak of the quality of the key caps? Do they get shiny / letter wear off easily?

or should I spring for a shine 3 for $15ish more?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Thanks for the fast reply, but I should have mentioned I need a 104-key. :v:

Newegg's house brand Rosewill has mechanical keyboards and they sometimes go on sale for very cheap prices.

Oldmangray
Sep 9, 2008
So ive read a bit of the thread. and i cant seem to find what im after anywhere obvious.

loking for a mechanical Kb thats has a fairly small profile so can carry it in my bag and has a mic and headphone pass through on it would be nice.

any rec's??

not "mini small" just not a 15 macro and media switchs on the side with a lcd display behemoth like the g16 etc

and im not after media keys just a headphone and mic 3.5 jack on the side.

Oldmangray fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 13, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can find tiny mech keyboards but I don't think any have those kinds of features. They're barely catching up to "media keys" as a feature. Corsair K65 would be one example.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen a full size mechanical keyboard with built in audio/mic jacks, let alone a smaller one.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How small of a bags do you people have? I have no problems putting my full-size keyboard into my small backpack along with my laptop.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Buy one of the many flash-drive-sized USB audio interfaces and a keyboard with a USB port. The only board I know that has audio jacks built in is the Max Keyboard Nighthawk.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

DarkJC posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a full size mechanical keyboard with built in audio/mic jacks, let alone a smaller one.

There definitely are full size, but I have not seen a smaller one.

Oldmangray
Sep 9, 2008
okay i obviously have not been clear enough my bad.

currently i am using a razer blackwidow (dont judge) for my computing needs its fine its just a tad to large to fit my bag comfortably.

the blackwidow has usb 3.0 pass through and a audio out and mic in ports so you can have less cables you can see an image Here scroll down to the bottomand its the fifth pic in the gallery.

someone has recommended a Osmium keyboard but again its just a bit to large for my backpack

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Just got my first mechanical keyboard, was tired of only being able to press three keys at a time. CM QuickFire XT with brown switches, and got some little blue rubber 0.4mm o-ring switch dampeners. Its very nice, feels great and isn't obnoxiously loud.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got an Anker Mechanical keyboard. Seems really nice actually. Adjustable white back light, gaming keys if you want to use em. Cherry reds, and a few multimedia keys and volume. Good solid feel, heavy keyboard, good plastics. $99 with backlight and reds. Anker seems like they have decent support as well.

http://www.ianker.com/support-c22-g375.html

Oldmangray
Sep 9, 2008
price i'snt a major constraint im writing it off on business. and that looks real nice too

Cheers!

also might be good to add i live in the upside down land of oz.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Your shift, enter, and punctuation keys must be broken. Time to submit a warranty claim?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I'm now in a situation where I could potentially get blues as noise isnt a huge deal since I have a separate room for my office now.

I've tried browns and I don't love them for FPS because they feel a bit "gritty" when im trying to strafe around and such. Do blues feel a bit better in this regard? Anyone use them for shooters and can compare to them to blacks/browns?

I liked my blacks, but they are a bit heavy. I'm also kind of a sloppy typer so I'm scared I'll make a ton of typos with reds. I tend to bottom out when I type and I doubt I'm going to change that ever.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I need a new keyboard!

Originally I was looking at wireless, but I think I'd like to give a mechanical one a try. So I have two questions...

- what are the best sites for seeing what's out there?
- has anyone tried a Das Keyboard 4? I'm loving the style+font, plus the USB ports. And the media buttons

Aside from the Das, I'm thinking a tenkeyless plus a numberpad I can take out/put away might be a lot better for how I use the computer. Is there a TKL out there with media buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phiberoptik posted:

I've tried browns and I don't love them for FPS because they feel a bit "gritty" when im trying to strafe around and such. Do blues feel a bit better in this regard? Anyone use them for shooters and can compare to them to blacks/browns?
Blues are not ideal for games, but I think an FPS is about the least affected. I tried out a range of games with blues and found FPS/ action games mostly ok. If you're very competitive in multiplayer maybe less good.

I know what you mean by the brown's gritty feel, experienced the same thing myself. It goes away pretty quickly, between getting used to the feel and some wear that makes the plastic notch less sharp.

Guitarchitect posted:

- what are the best sites for seeing what's out there?
- has anyone tried a Das Keyboard 4? I'm loving the style+font, plus the USB ports. And the media buttons
There's been such an explosion of baords, it's hard keeping track. The deskthority wiki has a lot of info, but it's not a buying guide.
Das is a fine board, before the 4 they were overpriced but adding the new features helped their case a lot. Still expensive but if you are ok throwing $170 at your first board and don't care for backlights it's fair.

Guitarchitect posted:

Aside from the Das, I'm thinking a tenkeyless plus a numberpad I can take out/put away might be a lot better for how I use the computer. Is there a TKL out there with media buttons?
I don't think I've seen a TKL with a full set of dedicated media keys. Corsair's K65 has dedicated volume buttons, but the play/pause/ff/rv ones are on the function. WASD's TKL does their media keys on the insert block, which I switched to myself via software and like a lot.

• Locked thread