Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tiggum posted:

I'd love the ability to customise the clothes your named homies wear though, that would be awesome.

Same here- I want a team of superheroes, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

IdolNinja posted:

My killer app is finally here to buy an Oculus Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3XM_JB0aGo
There is no way I'm not getting an Oculus Rift next year when it comes out

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Lollerich posted:

There is no way I'm not getting an Oculus Rift next year when it comes out

Speaking of which, what resolutions are they going to release them in? 1080p only or 1440p?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

IdolNinja posted:

My killer app is finally here to buy an Oculus Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3XM_JB0aGo

I just can't get over the fact that this guy put in a facecam while wearing an Oculus Rift.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finally played the Enter the Dominatrix DLC, it absolutely sucked but may have been all worth it for the incredible ending from the point where the velociraptor offers to sing the song of its people.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I just can't get over the fact that this guy put in a facecam while wearing an Oculus Rift.

It is pretty ridiculous but I think the closest thing to an acceptable facecam is one where the idiot facecamer's face is hidden. Also googly eyes on the rift is kinda funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've just started playing the game on PC; are there any highly recommended mods for this thing or should I just run through vanilla?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So hey, Zinyak's voice actor is playing the planet-wide AI in Wildstar. He uses the exact same tone, attitude and personality for the character as our favourite alien Warlord. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MikeJF posted:

I've just started playing the game on PC; are there any highly recommended mods for this thing or should I just run through vanilla?

There's a mod that allows you to unlock the time of day changer early, which you should consider if you don't wanna look at Steelport at night constantly. I also recommend a mod that expands the list of outfits you can buy at Planet Zin because there are quite a few items that can't be bought, like the Presidential suit.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Vanilla is fine but I like the FOV changer and the NPC Behavior and Spawn mod. Might wanna skip that last one for the first run though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChaosArgate posted:

There's a mod that allows you to unlock the time of day changer early, which you should consider if you don't wanna look at Steelport at night constantly. I also recommend a mod that expands the list of outfits you can buy at Planet Zin because there are quite a few items that can't be bought, like the Presidential suit.
The ones that put extra stuff in shops and give you more customisation options are always going to be worth getting and unlikely to adversely affect your first playthrough. I'd leave off the time of day changer though, because I thought it was actually pretty effective the way the city gets lighter as you start to control more of it, and you can tell whether you're in a Saints or Zin controlled area by how dark it is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh yeah, you guys should be tod this, at least. You probably already know, but: Volition's 'I feel like classic doesn't quite cover it' space-sim Freespace 2 is now on Steam. Five bucks for the next thirty hours or so, then it goes up to ten. It apparently still needs FSO to run on modern machines, probalby because it's one of those 'zombie games' that needs patches nobody can actually give it , but to be honest you should be getting FSO for it anyway.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cleretic posted:

Oh yeah, you guys should be tod this, at least. You probably already know, but: Volition's 'I feel like classic doesn't quite cover it' space-sim Freespace 2 is now on Steam. Five bucks for the next thirty hours or so, then it goes up to ten. It apparently still needs FSO to run on modern machines, probalby because it's one of those 'zombie games' that needs patches nobody can actually give it , but to be honest you should be getting FSO for it anyway.

It runs fine on modern machines, providing you have the registry entries from an existing Freespace 2 install. But, yeah, to be completely honest FSO is absolutely incredible and you should get it regardless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiggum posted:

The ones that put extra stuff in shops and give you more customisation options are always going to be worth getting and unlikely to adversely affect your first playthrough. I'd leave off the time of day changer though, because I thought it was actually pretty effective the way the city gets lighter as you start to control more of it, and you can tell whether you're in a Saints or Zin controlled area by how dark it is.

Any suggestions for these? I don't really have any idea what the modding scene deal is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MikeJF posted:

Any suggestions for these? I don't really have any idea what the modding scene deal is.

This is the one I have.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MikeJF posted:

I just had a look through saintsrowmods.com and here are the ones that you might want to consider as just adding more customisation options without affecting gameplay:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay, I'll grab the extra wardrobe... think I'm fine with just that. I was going to get the Time of Day changer too because it's just too drat bleak, but it looks like that has to be installed basically when you start playing, and I'm too far in to be bothered restarting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
FOV hack was the only critical one for me. Default FOV was just way too tight, made me genuinely feel disoriented playing Zero Saints Thirty before I installed it.

It's worth getting too, even if you don't have quite as visceral a reaction as I did.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

Okay, I'll grab the extra wardrobe... think I'm fine with just that. I was going to get the Time of Day changer too because it's just too drat bleak, but it looks like that has to be installed basically when you start playing, and I'm too far in to be bothered restarting.

I vote for keeping the bleakness -- it adds to the environment.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Has anyone made a mod that lets you shoot while jumping or gliding? Because that was seriously the only real problem I had with the game, and I could die happy if I could shoot while in the midst of a super jump.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheSpiritFox posted:

Has anyone made a mod that lets you shoot while jumping or gliding? Because that was seriously the only real problem I had with the game, and I could die happy if I could shoot while in the midst of a super jump.

God drat yes!

It's nice to see the FBX import is (slowly) being worked on. The guy who imported the Minecraft sword and the Plisken MAC-10 is doing great work.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Young Freud posted:

God drat yes!

It's nice to see the FBX import is (slowly) being worked on. The guy who imported the Minecraft sword and the Plisken MAC-10 is doing great work.

Crap, so I'm guessing not? That just seemed like the most ridiculous oversight, especially when you are just trying to make a small hop and launch 20 feet in the air to clear a three foot gap. Being forced to choose between super powers and agility was not the best choice. It's the dumbest thing, why shouldn't you be able to glide over the city and rain rockets and abduction beams and AR fire from above like the psychotic God they want you to feel like you are?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So far - I think they missed a beat by not having the Zinyak billboards and propaganda turn back as you took over areas of the city.

Also, oh my god collectable finder is the best upgrade although I don't think plotting out grid search patterns was the intended response. :spergin:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 14, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The propaganda changes as the story progresses (it's still there but it reads differently). Having virtual Steelport become more Saints-like (Saintly?) as you own hoods would be an awesome feature though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The city's post-processing color overlay becomes less red and more blue, and the foggy red sky clears in areas of the city you've liberated. There are a few other neat little changes too but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What would have been cool would be if using the character gen or the cosmetic surgery shops generated a set of images with your face on them, and replaced the propaganda in saint controlled zones.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

So far - I think they missed a beat by not having the Zinyak billboards and propaganda turn back as you took over areas of the city.

Also, oh my god collectable finder is the best upgrade although I don't think plotting out grid search patterns was the intended response. :spergin:
"ground is lava"

you're welcome

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What would have been cool would be if using the character gen or the cosmetic surgery shops generated a set of images with your face on them, and replaced the propaganda in saint controlled zones.
Especially cool because Saints Row 2 did precisely that with billboard ads when you bought all of one store type. I hope that sort of thing returns in next-gen Saints Row games.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Hey, has there been any kind of news on SR5? Wikipedia tells me that back in December, Jay Mohr said that was in the next game, but that's, like, all it says. If I don't get a time traveling Saints Row game, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

El Tortuga posted:

Hey, has there been any kind of news on SR5? Wikipedia tells me that back in December, Jay Mohr said that was in the next game, but that's, like, all it says. If I don't get a time traveling Saints Row game, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

No. Apparently Deep Silver made a straight up bait and switch at E3, where they repeatedly hinted to the press that a new SR was going to be there (right down to suggestive purple colouring in their invitations), but then it was just Dead Island 2.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
That's some fuckin' Dex poo poo :colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Okay, see, that is just a filthy, graceless move. As in 'I am suddenly very worried about Volition's future again' bad.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 15, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I shouldn't be that surprised that Deep Silver pulled some incredible bullshit. Zombie bikini bust is a bit of a warning sign.

But on what Earth would they think it'd be a good idea to tease Saint's Row and deliver Dead Island?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

But on what Earth would they think it'd be a good idea to tease Saint's Row and deliver Dead Island?

At this point I think Dead Island mainly exists just to piss off people in various ways, not to actually be a good game series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That came from Jeff Gerstmann, btw

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought their deceiving was pretty funny and it was probably intended to be that way. The issue with it however is that Dead Island 1 was alright I guess but the sequel was totally mediocre, compared to Saints Row which got better, then worse, then kinda middled out in a good-ish way (IE better than Dead Island).

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Haha wow that is bad, even for video game PR blunders.

Are they trying to be the new Acclaim or something here?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

CJacobs posted:

I thought their deceiving was pretty funny and it was probably intended to be that way. The issue with it however is that Dead Island 1 was alright I guess but the sequel was totally mediocre, compared to Saints Row which got better, then worse, then kinda middled out in a good-ish way (IE better than Dead Island).

Saints Row 3 and 4 are brilliant, as is 2, but in different ways. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
3 is the bad one, is what I'm saying. It's like the younger brother of Saints Row IV which is just better enough for it to not be worth going back to 3. Saints Row 2 is different enough that it might warrant being played again but IV is just plain better than 3 in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

CJacobs posted:

3 is the bad one, is what I'm saying. It's like the younger brother of Saints Row IV which is just better enough for it to not be worth going back to 3. Saints Row 2 is different enough that it might warrant being played again but IV is just plain better than 3 in every way.

3 may be worse than SR2 and SR4, but it does have the most fun and coolest military vehicles in the series. The VTOL and Crusader tank are rad as gently caress and blow away the Zin's vehicles in SR4.

• Locked thread