Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Kuroyama posted:

Meanwhile, in lovely Jump series news, Shueisha has registered Nisekoi.jp, and it appears there will be an announcement about Nisekoi in the 27 issue of Jump (June 3 issue). Rumor has it that it's an anime announcement.

Article at Crunchyroll

Why is this happening while Double Arts got cancelled? There is no justice in the world.

vvv That too

Silly Voodoo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silly Voodoo posted:

Why is this happening while Double Arts got cancelled? There is no justice in the world.

RIP Mx0

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
...I like Nisekoi...

This was a good issue all around though. World Trigger is slowly becoming a series I really look forward to reading each week.

Just a reminder though: NO ONE PIECE FOR TWO WEEKS.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Really enjoying World Trigger too. Alpha translation has been very solid. Really hope to get more series in, especially Beezlebub.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
About the Nisekoi announcement, if you care, posters for the 7th volume confirm that an anime is in the works. No news yet on cast, release dates, etc.

Source.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nisekoi is one of the only manga I skip in Jump, but that's for the same reason I skip Blue Exorcist: I haven't gone back and read up to the point where they started, and I can't not read things in order. Cept Zexal, but I also don't care about the plot I just wanna see some card games.

Cross Manage is great again this week. Sakurai is just so cool! Even if Toyoguchi and Co. don't win, they gotta score at least once to justify this awesome effort they're putting in.

World Trigger was also pretty awesome. If I wasn't interested in seeing where the story is going, I'd be sold on reading it just for the potential in its battle system. I love technical based systems like Nen, and this ability to form new powers out of different seals/keywords, whatever they'll end up beng called, is really cool. I want Osamu to be able to make up for the power gap between him and others by Kuga teaching him how to manipulate the seals well or something.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Long time no see thread. Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, is working on a new series called Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, starting in the July 15 issue. It's about an alien policeman stranded on Earth, so while it's not exactly ground-breaking, it should be fun at least.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

Long time no see thread. Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, is working on a new series called Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, starting in the July 15 issue. It's about an alien policeman stranded on Earth, so while it's not exactly ground-breaking, it should be fun at least.

Hasn't he started several new series over the years only to pretty quickly abandon them/claim they were just "one"-shots?

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
I'm pretty excited about the all color One Punch Man on July 15th. I like all the series other than Bleach, but One Punch Man has consistently been my favorite. I'm wondering what the "super color" chapters of One Piece and Naruto mean. Will they be full color, or maybe 2-4 pages of color?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
More Jump news from Anime Expo. They are expanding the list of countries for Jump. Starting today, you can get it in England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. Currently only available for IPS, but should be coming to Android soon.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Hasn't he started several new series over the years only to pretty quickly abandon them/claim they were just "one"-shots?

Based on the author comments in this week's issue, it sounds like this one's a limited run from the start (not sure how long though). It's a shame, I'd like to see him go full-on with a normal serialization if only one more time.

Anyway, looks like this coming week's issue will be the last chapter for Cross Manage. :( And apparently the week after that, One Piece will be on break, and Bleach is taking a 6-week break (?). With OP, Bleach, and CM out, it's going to be a bare issue unless they debut a new series.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RedBoot posted:

Based on the author comments in this week's issue, it sounds like this one's a limited run from the start (not sure how long though). It's a shame, I'd like to see him go full-on with a normal serialization if only one more time.

Anyway, looks like this coming week's issue will be the last chapter for Cross Manage. :( And apparently the week after that, One Piece will be on break, and Bleach is taking a 6-week break (?). With OP, Bleach, and CM out, it's going to be a bare issue unless they debut a new series.

He mentioned wanting people to enjoy the full 217 pages of it, so it depends on the pages per chapter, but if it drops to ~20 a week, then that'd be what, roughly 10 chapters if the first was around 40?

I'm really sad to hear that news about Cross Manage though. :( I knew about the other breaks but I'd really been enjoying that series and was hoping got at least another game or two before it got canned. At least there's still World Trigger for series' in Jump that I don't read in advance.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

A double post for the final chapter of Cross Manage as it joins Barrage and Takama-Ga-Hara in the pile of series' to end their runs in Jump too soon. I think I'll miss CM even more than Barrage though, it was a short run but the characters grew on me enough to make the ending really sad, though there was some sweet in the bitter what with how happy everyone looked. Can't wait for that bonus chapter, and hopefully we get a new series to fill the slot soon.

For now, we get an old Kishimoto one-shot. I wonder of they'll run through all the one shots that ran around the same time Bench did, if anyone else remembers those. I don't, but I know there were others.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

A double post for the final chapter of Cross Manage as it joins Barrage and Takama-Ga-Hara in the pile of series' to end their runs in Jump too soon. I think I'll miss CM even more than Barrage though, it was a short run but the characters grew on me enough to make the ending really sad, though there was some sweet in the bitter what with how happy everyone looked. Can't wait for that bonus chapter, and hopefully we get a new series to fill the slot soon.

For now, we get an old Kishimoto one-shot. I wonder of they'll run through all the one shots that ran around the same time Bench did, if anyone else remembers those. I don't, but I know there were others.

I really liked the way Kaito drew a lot of the facial expressions in Cross Manage, so I hope we see new work soon.

As for the one-shots, I'd expected SJA to stockpile them for the weeks that Japanese Jump is off, but they just skipped a week earlier this year when that happened. At least they're using one to fill the OP/Bleach/CM void this coming week.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
In today's Dragon Ball chapter, nothing happened. :rolleyes:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm really enjoying the developments in World Trigger. It's pure Shonen, but it's good Shonen IMO. Can't wait to see what they think of for Osamu's secret potential, hope it doesn't disappoint.

Also, did anyone catch Shimabukuro's (Toriko) author note this week? He ate with the creators of Terraformars. Could you imagine that crossover? A BUGS team crossed with Toriko's animals? Holy poo poo.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I hope that we get this. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-07/nisekoi-ore-monogatari-get-crossover-manga
Mainly because it might increase the chances of Viz licensing Ore Monogatari.

Oh and if y'all didnt see everything in the digital store is a dollar off this week.

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
So it looks like Jaco is over and we're getting a new manga in its place. I'm not familiar with what the silhouette might be, anyone else have a guess?

On the whole, Jaco was fine, a little old fashioned, but I have to admit I was not expecting the twist until just before it was revealed. Not sure if it was worth those 10 chapters to set up one big joke about the prequel to Dragonball, but it did make for an amusing final chapter

World Trigger and One Punch Man also continue to impress. I'm looking forward to what World Trigger will be like now that the battle system has started to be fleshed out.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

Thread Killer posted:

So it looks like Jaco is over and we're getting a new manga in its place. I'm not familiar with what the silhouette might be, anyone else have a guess?

On the whole, Jaco was fine, a little old fashioned, but I have to admit I was not expecting the twist until just before it was revealed. Not sure if it was worth those 10 chapters to set up one big joke about the prequel to Dragonball, but it did make for an amusing final chapter

I was sort of suspecting the twist in Jaco for a little while, since there was that "DB-#" on the title page counting down to the last issue of Jaco. If it's a Dragonball prequel, this chapter would be Dragonball Chapter -1. Tights being named Tights was another hint, of course.

As for the new series, I saw someone say it's called Owari no Seraph, running in Jump SQ. Never heard of that, though. Mentioning a "cooking manga" on the page is a cruel tease, I'd love to see Shokugeki no Souma in here. Maybe later?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I actually completely missed that Rurouni Kenshin ended because I hadn't been reading it.

The OP is now current, shout at me if I missed something or if you want the little :neckbeard: approval thing to change.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If you've had a WSJ subscription for a while, they're offering a 30 day trial to Neon Alley, which is a 24/7 video streaming channel for dubbed anime on current-gen consoles and PCs (presumably North America only). We had a dubbed anime thread but it fell into the archives.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
EDIT: Ignore me I'm an idiot!

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Thing that I didn't know yesterday: the Android app is now available in the UK too. 69p a pop, or £1.91/month subscription. So I've subscribed.

(cue a couple of hours of reading and having no idea what the gently caress is going on in any of the strips)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cross postin'.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Crunchyroll to simulpub manga starting 30 Oct. Starting titles include Attack on Titan, COPPELION, My Wife is Wagatsuma-san, Space Brothers. Available for both free with ads and paid members, and it looks like it's going to be included with current plans (nope, it's $5). Supposed to work on both desktops, iOS, and android.

Also, if you somehow missed it, there was a Cross Manage one shot in the most recent issue.

One Punch Man is now caught up, so I guess it'll turn into a bimonthly thing now. Not sure how I feel about Puri-puri Prisoner as a translation.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Autumncomet posted:

Cross postin'.

Also, if you somehow missed it, there was a Cross Manage one shot in the most recent issue.

One Punch Man is now caught up, so I guess it'll turn into a bimonthly thing now. Not sure how I feel about Puri-puri Prisoner as a translation.

To elaborate, there's going to be a separate $5/month sub for Manga, and it's going to be included for people who has an All Access sub (although we don't know if they're going to increase the price to reflect the inclusion of manga). Current anime subscribers will be able to upgrade and hopefully only pay the difference.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This came up in the One-Punch Man thread, so, international pricing:

I know you can also use the Android app now, but nothing I can find says you can use the web reader yet, which is a really odd distinction but okay. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, SJ apparently acquired Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma but aren't serializing it in WSJ (volume releases only) because it's "racy". :confused:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Autumncomet posted:

This came up in the One-Punch Man thread, so, international pricing:
I know you can also use the Android app now, but nothing I can find says you can use the web reader yet, which is a really odd distinction but okay. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm fairly sure I mentioned that, like, two weeks ago. :v:

Yeah, non-US folk is restricted to either a) buying Jump from iOS' Newsstand app, b) buying Jump from the specific Jump Android app (with no way to buy back catalogue issues) or c) [UK folk only, AFAIK] buying volumes from Nook, which requires you to use their Android app or their tablets. No web reader, no VizManga app, not even Kindle versions. It's really half arsed.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

Autumncomet posted:

Also, SJ apparently acquired Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma but aren't serializing it in WSJ (volume releases only) because it's "racy". :confused:

Eh...maybe some of the earlier chapters (when the "foodgasms" were more elaborate), but I don't think it's any worse than the rest of the lineup. Heck, there was that Bleach chapter a while back...

I'd love to see Shokugeki no Soma in there. Especially since it doesn't look like we're getting AssClass any time soon.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Long live the thread. :toot: WSJ is picking up another new series this week, Stealth Symphony, from the writer of Durarara.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Well, that's one way of bumping the thread. :v:

Opinions of the last few months: Onepunch Man is great, All You Need Is Kill is off to a good start, I still have no idea what's going on in One Piece, Bleach, Naruto or Yu-Gi-Oh, and Nisekoi is decent, even if it's got chronic "nothing happens" syndrome. I still get my £2/month out of it, though, so I've still subscribed.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Stealth Symphony was giving me really strong 666 Satan vibes if you guys have ever read that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't read 666 Satan, but I liked Stealth Symphony for the art and the mishmash fantasy city. Troma's a neat character design too, though I don't think water works that way. Definitely looking forward to seeing what happens next and how many ridiculous A (and inevitable S and SS) heirlooms appear.

EDIT: Oh, definitely enjoying All You Need Is Kill, too. I'm disappointed whenever a chapter ends.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2014

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
Gotta say, I'm really confused what the problem is in Stealth Symphony now. So the Dragon Heirloom will prevent any harm from ever hurting you. Now it's revealed that it only reacts to hostility. So what's the problem? Before when he said he couldn't be around other people, I thought there was an interaction where if someone gave him a hug, the heirloom would break their ribs. Now it seems like a pretty amazing device if it only reacts to hostility. I guess having a weird looking device on your back and not wanting anyone hurt, regardless of if they're trying to kill you, are what is driving our protagonist, but it really decreased my sympathy for his situation

Despite my nit-picking, this was a great issue overall. Probably the best overall since that massive color issue several months ago.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Volumes of Viz manga are now on Comixology, which usually sells western comic books and graphic novels digitally. US and Canada only according to the digital comics thread in BSS.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Volumes of Viz manga are now on Comixology, which usually sells western comic books and graphic novels digitally. US and Canada only according to the digital comics thread in BSS.

About drat time, I wanted them to come to a format that isn't completely arse for reading comics. Pity that they're still being incredibly dumb with the region locking at that the only options for UK folk to get their stuff digitally seems to be still the SJ app and the Nook store, for some bizarre reason.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh rad, that's pretty cool actually.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are they ever going to develop a browser version or something that doesn't require a tablet/phone for England because I'm not reading manga on my phone

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Jose posted:

Are they ever going to develop a browser version or something that doesn't require a tablet/phone for England because I'm not reading manga on my phone

As far as Viz is concerned, legal manga reading in a browser is reserved for Americans only. :v:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Does Viz ever do sales for their digital manga? I see they did a holiday sale in 2012, but that's all I could find. I was looking to pick some stuff up, but I don't want to dump $150 on manga if they could go on sale soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They do, and I think these days they give 20% off every once in a while. I just feel bad for people getting in now. I got all the volumes I have for $4 when they'd be on sale from their default price of $5. Now the default price is $7 and I just don't see myself ever paying that.

• Locked thread