Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Vorgen posted:

Ooooh! how long does this clone last?

Forever! Quick guide:
You need two scrolls/spells of Stone to Flesh, some cursed potions of invulnerability (Available at Roger's, Adratha's and Cragmoon's shops), Project Image and Simulacrum. Normal petrifying won't work, though, as it doesn't remove the spell-clones from the party.

You make them chug, and sooner or later they will be cursed. Then you turn them into flesh again, and suddenly the scripts go awry.

Simulacrums don't have a *J dialog, yet the BeenInParty() flag has clearly been set, since they copy all the local globals from the caster. So they default to the multiplayer dialog:

And, well, they join you. However, they are no longer gimped/limited copies. Fully functional with all the stats and equipment of the original caster. The only difference is that they don't retain any existing special abilities. Also, they are permanent. Have fun!

e: Also, you can't remove their equipment, ever, so you get stuck with whatever they had on them. All the items are undroppable/unmoveable.

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Holy poo poo, that's crazy and hilarious.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Are the charges from their equipment consumed when you use it?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
e: Wait, when they use it? Then yes.

Also, if they get petrified again they just die the normal death. It has to be Death/Petrification, not State/Petrify though, so only the potion works! It's because death can forcibly remove someone from your party.

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 13, 2014

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Basic Chunnel posted:

All the mages in BG2 are powerful, but Nalia is the least among them. Aerie is a powerhouse and a great cleric as well but her innocent Lawful Goodness chafes a lot of people (also iirc the EE-implemented spell level caps by intelligence score might hurt her as a mage). Jan is a joke character but is a decent mage in addition to ably covering thieving duties. If you've dropped Hexxat I would say just get Jan and then Keldorn.

I haven't dropped Hexxat yet. I can't do her quest because I only have 5 people in my party and no mage.

I found Aerie but left her behind. Should I get her as my 6th? I'm a fighter, then Minsc, Korgan, Hexxat, Jaheira. The only other person I've talked to is Anomen. I'm wondering if there is somewhere else I should go quick to get another person that doesn't require some tough fights.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You can get Keldorn easily enough by starting the Unseeing Eye quest and then going to the sewers (though you might have to go through the annoying fight with Hatchetman and his friends). I'm not sure if he'll leave if you don't go ahead and finish that quest, though.

Valygar also just requires starting his quest at the Government District, running to his cabin and grabbing him. Same deal though, he wants a quest finished afterwards and I don't know if he'll stay with you without it.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 13, 2014

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

KingKapalone posted:

I haven't dropped Hexxat yet. I can't do her quest because I only have 5 people in my party and no mage.

I found Aerie but left her behind. Should I get her as my 6th? I'm a fighter, then Minsc, Korgan, Hexxat, Jaheira. The only other person I've talked to is Anomen. I'm wondering if there is somewhere else I should go quick to get another person that doesn't require some tough fights.

If you want another body in your party a.s.a.p then you can't go wrong with Keldorn. If you're looking at a more well-rounded party that you can develop and take into the rest of the game, though, you badly need a single-class mage. Edwin is the best mage in the game hands-down but requires you to complete a few (easy) Thieves' Guild quests in the Docks District.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Thank you for sharing that clone trick - that's brilliant.

Also, I think that you can use Int-boosting potions (Potions of Genius?) in order to increase a non-sorcerers limit of spells of a certain level in a book. I always hated that rule in pen and paper and I dislike it just as much in video games, and ran afoul of it a few months ago while playing BG1EE with a Blade who only had 15 Int or so. You're already limited enough by having to memorize spells in advance, and limiting further how many you can put in your book is just silly.

(Not a big fan of Vancian magic systems, as you can tell)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Aerie would complement that team really well, mechanically.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Excellent. Yaga-Shura seems to be bugged in BG2:EE so his invulnerability is never taken away.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

netcat posted:

Excellent. Yaga-Shura seems to be bugged in BG2:EE so his invulnerability is never taken away.

What version of it do you have? Killing Yaga-Shura worked fine for me with the steam release.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

gdsfjkl posted:

What version of it do you have? Killing Yaga-Shura worked fine for me with the steam release.

It's the steam release. I could trigger it with a console command though.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

netcat posted:

This is a perennial bug that's a holdover from the original ToB release. A BG2:EE compatible Ascension should fix it, since those fuckers over at Beamdog haven't fixed any BG2:EE bugs in like six months (including some really ridiculously annoying ones).

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Aside from completely circumstantial occasions (Mace of Disruption+2 is great against liches, there aren't that many liches in the game) what is better? I can think of maybe 3 weapons that are about par with Carsomyr for the game.

Sorry, didn't notice the question for ages. As others have mentioned, dual wielding is better unless you're specifically looking for defense. And if so Purifier + one of those better shields is probably better.

Axe of Unyielding + Belm or Kundane is just death for killing power for example. Other great single hand choices are Flail of Ages, The Answerer (offhand) and maybe The Equilizer (offhand). Celestial Fury rocks before Throne of Bhaal as well. Also Crom Faeyr in offhand, but that's better for low strength guys.

If you want to stick around with 2 handers then Ravager is better.

Still, if you've got a full party and everyone is using great weapons, then it's a decent choice obviously.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I had some free time today, so I put together an Icewind Dale 2 Fixpack. Downloadable here. I think that's like the fifth IWD2 mod in existence

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I'd rather have higher base damage and a doubled chance to crit than 1 extra attack per round, really. I'm sure someone crunched the numbers and dual wielding comes out a bit ahead, but it's not like you can't beat the game with powerful 2 handers like the staff of the ram.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Sergiu64 posted:

Axe of Unyielding + Belm or Kundane is just death for killing power for example. Other great single hand choices are Flail of Ages, The Answerer (offhand) and maybe The Equilizer (offhand). Celestial Fury rocks before Throne of Bhaal as well. Also Crom Faeyr in offhand, but that's better for low strength guys.

The Equalizer's special alignment effects are fixed in BG2:EE to provide the bonus only to the hand that wields it, so it's complete garbage unless you're running original BG2.

Suspicious posted:

I'd rather have higher base damage and a doubled chance to crit than 1 extra attack per round, really.

You mean you prefer a tiny amount of base damage (katanas and bastard swords have almost as much base as a two-hand sword) and 5% more crit over 2-4 additional attacks per round?

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 14, 2014

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Wow, thanks for the Equilizer tidbit, will help when BG2: EE finally goes on some sort of sale.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Corvinus posted:

You mean you prefer a tiny amount of base damage (katanas and bastard swords have almost as much base as a two-hand sword) and 5% more crit over 2-4 additional attacks per round?

The attack from the offhand is pretty much garbage until later so I don't really account for it, and 5% more crit is actually twice as much which is pretty significant. Attacks per round in the late game vs important enemies will be equal if you're using whirlwind. Against trash mobs you won't bother using improved haste or whirlwind on, dual wielding wins, but personally I don't really care if clearing them takes a little longer. There is the mid game gap between the time you get improved haste and the time you get HLAs where dual wielding is clearly superior but you won't really have any amazing 1 handers yet to take advantage of it except celestial fury.

Dual wielding annoys me because of how awkwardly it is handled in the interface and how slow it is to get going. You need to invest 2 pips in the style just to remove the main hand THAC0 penalty. With two handers you don't need anything, and a 1 pip investment in the style will give you +1 damage on top of your already superior base damage and x2 crits.

Like I said, the math crunching probably shows dual wielding to be better overall in the end in terms of DPS, but it's not like you're gimping yourself by going the two hander route.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

John McCain posted:

This is a perennial bug that's a holdover from the original ToB release. A BG2:EE compatible Ascension should fix it, since those fuckers over at Beamdog haven't fixed any BG2:EE bugs in like six months (including some really ridiculously annoying ones).

The only time I've ever got that bug was the one time I used Ascension years ago.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 14, 2014

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Man I had forgotten how loving aggravating the Gnoll Stronghold is. I cleared out the bottom part and made my way up to the fortress clearing Xvarts and Gnolls on the way and hit a dead end. So, I turn around tthinking the entrance to the area where Dynaheir is is at the top of the map. Oh cool. Enemy groups have respawned all along my route in. I clear out the top of the map and, nope, no way in from up there, better head back. Oh cool, more respawns. I free Dynaheir and head out. Oh cool, more respawns and I'm out of arrows and bullets.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Just FYI, I think it's possible that the IWD2 fixpack might have bugged out the ice temple. The third high priestess (Oria?) endlessly loops her prayer to the Ice Queen every .5 seconds or so, and appears to be invincible, probably because she's flagged as plot critical before her spiel makes her mortal and it's just not firing for whatever reason. That or her corporeal / ethereal forms or being conflated. Do you absolutely need to kill the third priestess? Because if so, this playthrough's junked.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
oh god i hosed up
She has a copied loose false'd statement in her dialog file and with her script it means she won't stop repeating this because there are no ways of changing the true() state ever :bang: I'm really sorry for loving up like this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ctrl+Y kills the character but it doesn't look like the specter is showing up.

To be perfectly fair, that bug might've been there before. You can never tell with these older games. If there's an object or quest flag that I need it might be feasible to use the console to circumvent the problem.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Well, since she doesn't appear as a ghost, you can't kill her with the game activator, so just enter ctrlaltdelete:SetGlobal("OriaEssence_dead","GLOBAL",1) in the cheat console :blush:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm reading the Big World Mod LP and the LPer there played BG1 with this relationship mod that let him transform almost any NPC - even monsters like a Dragon - into a fully party member. You have to do all sorts of stuff to increase your reputation with them but still...a dragon for a party member? I kind of want to try this. But I can't seem to find a BG2 version? Maybe it doesn't exist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm reading the Big World Mod LP and the LPer there played BG1 with this relationship mod that let him transform almost any NPC - even monsters like a Dragon - into a fully party member. You have to do all sorts of stuff to increase your reputation with them but still...a dragon for a party member? I kind of want to try this. But I can't seem to find a BG2 version? Maybe it doesn't exist.

I don't know about the mod, but if you activate cheat keys you can press ctrl q and it will force the selected character to join.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I played BG1 in the BG2 engine, so that mod is actually a BG2 mod. There is no real BG1 version. You can find the download link and the badly-translated instructions here: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39390-relationship/

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Suspicious posted:

The attack from the offhand is pretty much garbage until later so I don't really account for it, and 5% more crit is actually twice as much which is pretty significant. Attacks per round in the late game vs important enemies will be equal if you're using whirlwind. Against trash mobs you won't bother using improved haste or whirlwind on, dual wielding wins, but personally I don't really care if clearing them takes a little longer. There is the mid game gap between the time you get improved haste and the time you get HLAs where dual wielding is clearly superior but you won't really have any amazing 1 handers yet to take advantage of it except celestial fury.

Dual wielding annoys me because of how awkwardly it is handled in the interface and how slow it is to get going. You need to invest 2 pips in the style just to remove the main hand THAC0 penalty. With two handers you don't need anything, and a 1 pip investment in the style will give you +1 damage on top of your already superior base damage and x2 crits.

Like I said, the math crunching probably shows dual wielding to be better overall in the end in terms of DPS, but it's not like you're gimping yourself by going the two hander route.

Obviously you know enough to breeze through the game with most anything, but I think you're really sleeping on dual wielding.

The "takes too long to get going" thing only really applies to blades and swashbucklers. For all other classes that can dual wield, you get four stars at creation, and the game only lets you allocate up to two in a weapon at creation. If it let fighters jump to high master from level one I'd agree with you, but the fact is that you're stuck with two pups for something other than your weapon. Why not put them in dual wield? Then you've got no main hand penalty.

This also lets you use your off hand as a booster, since weapons have far more useful properties than shields, as a general rule. Other than the shield of gently caress beholders, I cannot think of a single shield that does anything for you other than ac boosting. I'd much rather have immunity to some debilitating condition than minus five ac or whatever.

...on the other hand I also tend to load up my kensai with 2h which is terrible, since their fixed dmg boost means more attacks = better! and they need the immunities from an off hand since they can't wear armor.

...can we at least agree that single weapon and sword/shield suck?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Obviously you know enough to breeze through the game with most anything, but I think you're really sleeping on dual wielding.

The "takes too long to get going" thing only really applies to blades and swashbucklers. For all other classes that can dual wield, you get four stars at creation, and the game only lets you allocate up to two in a weapon at creation. If it let fighters jump to high master from level one I'd agree with you, but the fact is that you're stuck with two pups for something other than your weapon. Why not put them in dual wield? Then you've got no main hand penalty.

This also lets you use your off hand as a booster, since weapons have far more useful properties than shields, as a general rule. Other than the shield of gently caress beholders, I cannot think of a single shield that does anything for you other than ac boosting. I'd much rather have immunity to some debilitating condition than minus five ac or whatever.

...on the other hand I also tend to load up my kensai with 2h which is terrible, since their fixed dmg boost means more attacks = better! and they need the immunities from an off hand since they can't wear armor.

...can we at least agree that single weapon and sword/shield suck?

Single weapon is okay for backstabbers since it gives crits on 19/20. A backstabber is probably still better off dual wielding but single weapon isn't terrible, especially at low levels when dual wielding as a poo poo thac0 class is bad.

Sword/Shield has a minor amount of utility if you're a class that is only ever gonna get one attack/round anyways. I always use a shield on single class clerics since they're gonna lack the amount of attacks/prof points to be effective as meleers anyways.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Ginette Reno posted:

Single weapon is okay for backstabbers since it gives crits on 19/20. A backstabber is probably still better off dual wielding but single weapon isn't terrible, especially at low levels when dual wielding as a poo poo thac0 class is bad.

Sword/Shield has a minor amount of utility if you're a class that is only ever gonna get one attack/round anyways. I always use a shield on single class clerics since they're gonna lack the amount of attacks/prof points to be effective as meleers anyways.

I like shields in BG1 because arrows are such a death trap. A large shield +1/+4 vs. missile weapons is a solid choice through the end of the game. In BG2 dual wielding takes off and remains tops until the series finishes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MegaGatts posted:

I like shields in BG1 because arrows are such a death trap. A large shield +1/+4 vs. missile weapons is a solid choice through the end of the game. In BG2 dual wielding takes off and remains tops until the series finishes.

Yeah shields are very useful in early bg1 when arrows are so deadly. Shields are in general probably your best bet in bg1 actually since there aren't any great off hand weapons for dual wielding and because the extra ac can make a huge difference at low levels when you don't ever want to get hit.

I don't know how long it's been this way but I just checked Good Old Games and right now all the infinity engine games look like they're 3.99 so if anyone is looking to buy say IWD or something like that now looks like a good time. I'm about to go snatch up IWD and IWD2 since I don't have them any more. I also haven't played through either in forever so I think I'm gonna do an IWD run. They're both pretty fun games.

e: Think I might go on a gog spending spree actually. gently caress it man, 3.99 for most of their games right now is a fantastic deal. Gonna grab Torment too.

ee: actually I'm not sure if it's a sale or if I'm just getting lower prices because I already have a lot of games from them in my library. Uhhhhh well either way I'm gonna take full advantage of this.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 18, 2014

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd give a backstabber a 2-handed weapon. One dot in those gives crits in the 19/20 range as well and the Staff of Striking and Staff of the Ram are the best backstab weapons.

(I soloed a Fighter/Mage/Thief and he was able to do crazy amounts of backstab damage with the latter weapon in TOB.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Vorgen posted:

I played BG1 in the BG2 engine, so that mod is actually a BG2 mod. There is no real BG1 version. You can find the download link and the badly-translated instructions here: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39390-relationship/

Thanks for the clarification....superlative LP, btw! I may go back and play BG1 when I'm done with 2....and/or bored of Wildstar, which is tearing me away from BG2 atm.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

e: Think I might go on a gog spending spree actually. gently caress it man, 3.99 for most of their games right now is a fantastic deal. Gonna grab Torment too.

ee: actually I'm not sure if it's a sale or if I'm just getting lower prices because I already have a lot of games from them in my library. Uhhhhh well either way I'm gonna take full advantage of this.

They're cheaper if you buy the whole lot. $1.99 each I think. I already had BG1 and 2, now I have an excuse to play through IWD2 and the NWN games :)

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Obviously you guys saw the D&D games on GOG, thought I'd let you know that the Enhanced Editions of BG and BG2 are on sale too, 9.99 and 12.49 USD.

I'm holding out until the 30th in the hopes that it'll drop further, but I kinda doubt it.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I had some free time today, so I put together an Icewind Dale 2 Fixpack. Downloadable here. I think that's like the fifth IWD2 mod in existence

Big thanks for making this.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I forgot how good warchant of the sith is in IWD. I wish that ability was in bg, I almost always bring a bard in my IWD/IWD2 runs because I love that song so much.

It's also cool how Druids get more spell options, especially at lower levels. The BG spell list for Druids is absolute poo poo for level 2 spells, but in IWD it's at least got a decent spell or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I forgot how good warchant of the sith is in IWD. I wish that ability was in bg, I almost always bring a bard in my IWD/IWD2 runs because I love that song so much.

It's also cool how Druids get more spell options, especially at lower levels. The BG spell list for Druids is absolute poo poo for level 2 spells, but in IWD it's at least got a decent spell or two.

You should check this mod. It adds druid spells, bard songs, etc. from IWD in to BG1/2.