Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

Hey, Mike du Jour isn't godawful today. Unexpected!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, I'm sure that the ancient Romans used a precious and expensive commodity as a very roundabout means of torture.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

It's time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

It's been mentioned several times, but yeah, it definitely feels like we only get every other strip here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

This comic is even worse than Nancy. Just the way he draws the dogs' eyes. Also the fact that there's absolutely no reason for the additional G in "Dogg". It doesn't mean or signify anything! :argh:

That G is there to be wacky! It indicates that this comic strip is written by a humorous and irreverent fellow. (Just be glad he didn't spell "Today's" with a z.)

That's the most adorable torture I've ever heard of.

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

:stare:

Sally Forth

She's taking it pretty well, considering.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Pros & Cons

:stare:

ACAB. An unironically good cartoon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

If there's about to be a Phantom crossover in this strip, all is forgiven.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I know it's early in the story arc, but this deserves note. For the first time, Spider-Man is not the dumbest person in the strip.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Huh, so it really is post-apocalyptic.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

The kid bullying demon art child is gonna be the grandson of Important Donor lady isn't he.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dismas posted:

The kid bullying demon art child is gonna be the grandson of Important Donor lady isn't he.
Either way, he hosed up.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (June 13-14, 1956)

Droodles (June 13-14, 1956)

Out Our Way (February 13-14, 1925)

From the top:
  • Happy Hours
  • A "Captain" Thomas Mayne Reid novel (possibly)
  • Frank Merriwell
  • Old King Brady
  • The James Boys
  • Fred Fearnot
  • Nick Carter
  • Boy's Own Paper (but probably not the one you're thinking of if you're British)
  • The one that my rotten old eyes can't even try to read (Try your luck with the XL version.)
  • Young Wild West
  • Frank Reade
  • Diamond Dick
  • Golden Days
  • Buffalo Bill

Okay, Google-fu black belts, knock yourself out. All I could think was "What, no Tom Edison Jr.?"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

quote:

Cow and Boy

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

Is it like international rock appreciation day/week or something? WTF.

Rocks are pretty cool.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

The Judge must be having flashbacks to his time in Divorce Court.

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm guessing that Bill was just bitten in the crotch by a snapping turtle.

Pibgorn

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

catlord posted:

It's been mentioned several times, but yeah, it definitely feels like we only get every other strip here.

Nah, this seems pretty straightforward. Psychic gal sent a message: 'Stay away'. HARV translated the message as 'come get me'. The reveal is that HARV is actually someone else, playing against the protagonists' interests. Probably House Computer, since I never trusted that guy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Diana's behavior here seems like it should be sending up a red flag.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

To me, the best possible resolution for this arc would be for Rip to walk out that door like, "Wow, she dumped me out of nowhere. What a crazy bitch. Oh, well, that's life." And then he's out the next night for cocktails and dancing and a brand new adventure! Looks like what's actually going to happen, though, is that the Kismet's family really was involved with that murder and now Rex is going to solve the case for reals this time.

Big Ben Bolt

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

I know people are down on Mandrake in this thread sometimes. And I understand why - it's slow paced, plots aren't really resolved so much as they are bypassed, the art is inconsistent - but look at that second panel. Just look at it. That's art.

(Also I really like how everyone is ridiculously terse in Mandrake. Like the writer gets paid by the word, but in reverse. It's a nice contrast to Brooke and a lot of the word-heavy comics in this thread.)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Wait, did Val just abandon Excalibur to a pirate king?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

How old is this strip? I'm trying to decide if these are alien beatniks or hipsters.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Wait, did Val just abandon Excalibur to a pirate king?
No, I'm pretty sure the Singing Sword is different. He didn't get given it by a witch in a lake, after all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Clearly it's "Fredericks couldn't be arsed" week in Mandrake again. "No I don't have the art done, gently caress you, here are some sketches I did last month, see what you can write around those."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Zereth posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the Singing Sword is different. He didn't get given it by a witch in a lake, after all.

The Singing Sword is different, it originally belonged to Prince Arn, Val's then-rival.

I'm also pretty sure he gets it back, since we were Those Who Came In Late and he has it in the ongoing daily story.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bobulus posted:

Nah, this seems pretty straightforward. Psychic gal sent a message: 'Stay away'. HARV translated the message as 'come get me'. The reveal is that HARV is actually someone else, playing against the protagonists' interests. Probably House Computer, since I never trusted that guy.

Decipherable and ham-handed are not mutually exclusive. ZNJ's exposition and pacing is atrocious, as characters seem to warp from scene to scene.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

You have literally met aliens, Mandrake. What are you doing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 26, 1927)

Peanuts (June 17, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean, in which a life shared begins where dreams go to die.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pidmon posted:

Because they are infested with mermaids or people about to become mermaids because they shouted other people they didn't know were mermaids lunch 3 times and that counts as 'saving their life' so they spontaneously in the middle of traffic grow a fish tail and crash their loving car because HOLBROOK :argh:

I read this three times and still don't understand it. The gently caress is happening in this comic?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

corn in the bible posted:

I read this three times and still don't understand it. The gently caress is happening in this comic?

Holbrook. Holbrook happened.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I am bound and determined to incorporate "always belittlin'", and "whistle the patter" into my daily vocabulary.

:v:

Non Sequitur

How is this even funny, Wiley?

Heavenly Nostrils

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 6/14/2003

That was kind of meh for one of your usually good Solange comics, Brooke.

Zits

Talk about your vicious circles... :v:

Kevin & Kell

Right, horse racing, whatever. We're really done with this now, right Holbrook?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Crashing realization!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

From the top:
  • Happy Hours
  • A "Captain" Thomas Mayne Reid novel (possibly)
  • Frank Merriwell
  • Old King Brady
  • The James Boys
  • Fred Fearnot
  • Nick Carter
  • Boy's Own Paper (but probably not the one you're thinking of if you're British)
  • The one that my rotten old eyes can't even try to read (Try your luck with the XL version.)
  • Young Wild West
  • Frank Reade
  • Diamond Dick
  • Golden Days
  • Buffalo Bill

I can make out "Mines" as one of the words on the unreadable one, and "King Solomon's Mines - Rider Haggard" does seem to match the pattern of the words.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Diana's behavior here seems like it should be sending up a red flag.
It always makes me giggle imagining the Phantom just hanging out in a normal looking room like that. I guess when he's on his skull throne it just fits and now I imagine he just looks kind of silly sitting in a chair in his skin-tight purple costume next to a dresser talking to a wolf like me talking to my dogs.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Mary discusses eugenics with children to recruit them young for her White Supremacy organization.

Rex Morgan MD

"The million dollar donation is yours, thanks to that spunky little girl!"

reclusivemind
Dec 17, 2002
Man of little importance

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Mary discusses eugenics with children to recruit them young for her White Supremacy organization.

Rex Morgan MD

"The million dollar donation is yours, thanks to that spunky little girl!"

The dialogue in the second panels of both strips swap nicely.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somehow the dialogue in Skippy isn't as fresh as it once was. Or maybe it's just that it feels like it's been "Skippy and Belittlin' Kid are walking in a void and talking about :bahgawd: the government :bahgawd:" for a good few months now.

Is there some historical context I'm missing?

"That's great, you're going to need one." :cop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, in which a life shared begins where dreams go to die.

If you're getting married in a pizza parlor you're probably already pretty low in life. Ten to one they've both already got cancer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

If only GoComics had read this one.
P.S., that's Spuds Mackenzie in the portrait.

Basselopes are legendarily slow, don't'cha know. Pop-Tarts with lots of butter take their toll.

Calvin And Hobbes

Imagine how shattered Calvin's psyche would have been had this gone another way.

DOGG

Ripley's

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 14, 2014

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Oh jesus please let mary worth be embarking on an indigo child plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

• Locked thread