Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It'd be really cool if they, say, sanctioned some smaller smash tournaments and people attending that bring their Amiibos can download Smash 64 codes on them to redeem on their Wii Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Bruceski posted:

They already did, money added to the WiiU store or the 3DS store can be used in the other one (Wii store still uses points and does not share resources with either one). There were big updates to the 3DS store when they did so. Also pop-up announcements, all sorts of stuff. If you have a 3DS, how did you not notice? If you don't have a 3DS, why is this a sticking point for you?
I haven't turned on my 3DS in a long time. Anyway I looked it up and they're still tying the accounts to consoles, so I'll wait until / if they cut that poo poo out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kilroy posted:

I haven't turned on my 3DS in a long time. Anyway I looked it up and they're still tying the accounts to consoles, so I'll wait until / if they cut that poo poo out.

Quite sure they are not as my stuff is on my Nintendo Network ID.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
People keep bring that up, but if you lose or break home consoles enough that dealing with Nintendo for 30 minutes to get your licenses transferred is a recurring issue, you might want to consider focusing on not living under a bridge first.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 14, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A Nintendo Network ID and Club Nintendo account are barebones accounts with "recent purchases" on the account. Your downloads themselves are tied to the console, however. I just realized it's harder to explain than I care to, but what I'm saying is, if you have the ability to call nintendo, they'll just check to make sure you actually downloaded the game, nix the old console, and then add those downloads to your current one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/06/11/shigeru-miyamoto-star-fox-wii-u/

Year of Star Fox!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Crawfish posted:

To be fair, this one was less of a conscious choice to make a sequel and more deciding this series worked for some tech demo or something last year. And then deciding "Well, we better release this to the public I guess...".

But no, they are never going back to the original format.
At least we have Captain Toad for puzzle platformer walker action.

noirstronaut posted:

I wonder if Amiibos will ever work as eReader type things for the Wii U. Exclusive games etc.
MK8 battle mode DLC for free with the purchase of Amiibos for $19.99!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I really hope the Captain Toad game has enough ideas and content to make for a really substantial package, I'm kinda worried they're gonna half-arse it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I wonder if Amiibos will ever work as eReader type things for the Wii U. Exclusive games etc.

I missed this, but they could totally do that. These NFC chips can be attached to pretty good sized storage, so they could include VC games or just download codes inside of the figures. I think there's a payment option in Japan to let you use NFC tagged credit cards, and I don't know why we can't do that.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
Here's to 1,000 more pages of Nintendomination.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

noirstronaut posted:

Has anyone price matched that $10 ZombiU at Target? What was the process? Who did you talk to?

Just in case this wasn't answered I did this today. ZombiU is showing up as 9.99 on the BB website. I went to the electronics area, asked if they would price match it, and they handed it to me in a "don't steal this game" case and had me walk it over to customer service, where they price matched it.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Kilroy posted:

This post of yours is surprisingly short on homophobic slurs. I'm very impressed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I just ended up going to Best Buy since my Target is apparently just tiny straw suckers on this specific issue.

Does anyone know if an unofficial Gamecube adapter like the one Nintendo has planned exists elsewhere already? For a single controller, maybe? I can only find ones that work out of the Wiimote port.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also Grim Fandango isn't just a normal HD release, it's the rebirth of a game that never got it's fair shake. A Second Chance at Re-Death so to speak

Let's just hope it doesn't take four years to develop :v:.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Wii U right now doesn't know how to read controller input through the USB ports at all. There are a few Wii mode emulators and the Gamecube simulator that can read a USB gamecube controller, but otherwise no. You'll have to wait until the Nintendo one comes out, or deal with the Classic Controller style adapter.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Elliotw2 posted:

The Wii U right now doesn't know how to read controller input through the USB ports at all. There are a few Wii mode emulators and the Gamecube simulator that can read a USB gamecube controller, but otherwise no. You'll have to wait until the Nintendo one comes out, or deal with the Classic Controller style adapter.

Well, I really only want it for Melee and Brawl, so that would work.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, well, http://amzn.com/B000ND3XXA should work for that. You'll want the Trio Linker v1 controller ini for it in the emulator.

edit: VV You could try not offending a large segment of the SA base, but I think it'd be easiest for you to try not posting instead.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 14, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Neowyrm posted:

This post of yours is surprisingly short on homophobic slurs. I'm very impressed.
You could try being less butthurt when people say human being.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Seriously stop with that poo poo.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Kilroy posted:

maybe u could try being less of a dork

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Kilroy posted:

:911:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

So of course retailers aren't the most trustworthy resource for thing sort of thing, but a couple of retailers in my country now have both Mario Maker and Star Fox U listed as full-price games that can be pre-ordered.

They better be adding a lot of content to Mario Maker if this is true. :ohdear:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, let's get back on a happy note.

Does anyone have any experiencing modding/hacking the Mii Menu? I've been looking for guides and found some, but I can't find much info on if 5.0.0 affects it or not. I'm not looking to pirate (I swear my life on it) and just want to get into Project M again.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

JordanKai posted:

So of course retailers aren't the most trustworthy resource for thing sort of thing, but a couple of retailers in my country now have both Mario Maker and Star Fox U listed as full-price games that can be pre-ordered.

The price is probably a placeholder. If they guessed at a lower price and it ended up being more then customers would complain about the price going up, or they may even have a price guarantee policy that would require them to honour the lower price on preorders, so they just go with full price until the actual price is confirmed.

Edit: same with 31st December release dates on games that are officially still just "TBA 2014"

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 14, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, let's get back on a happy note.

Does anyone have any experiencing modding/hacking the Mii Menu? I've been looking for guides and found some, but I can't find much info on if 5.0.0 affects it or not. I'm not looking to pirate (I swear my life on it) and just want to get into Project M again.

You mean the Wii menu? It's hackable exactly the same way the original Wii was, so if you have a copy of Brawl, you can install the homebrew channel in minutes. You don't even need the homebrew channel for Project M, there's a hackless installation package that lets you just launch it straight from vanilla Brawl.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Nintendo's E3 site doesn't claim that pre-orders are available soon for Mario Maker unlike the big titles they had at E3, it's gonna be a digital title.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

So I'm contemplating picking up a WiiU this weekend but I'm a little (a lot) WiiU stupid. We'll most likely end up getting MK8, Smash Bros, and Zeldas and Marios of all flavors. I was thinking of just getting the Pro controllers as that's the controller format most of my friends will be used to. I don't have any Wii stuff and don't expect to download any Wii stuff, but aside from that, is there anything I'll be missing out on if I don't get the standard WiiU + Nunchuck combo or can I just go hog wild with Pro controllers?

For note, I did review the OP and the charts, I just want to make sure there are some features in any current or future titles that rely specifically on the nunchuck combo controller.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I really hope the Captain Toad game has enough ideas and content to make for a really substantial package, I'm kinda worried they're gonna half-arse it.
Did you watch the Treehouse stream where they were demoing it? There really was no half-assing on display there, they went WAAAY all out beyond any expectations there.

EDIT: ^^^ I think some of the party games like Wii Party U (and maybe Nintendoland too?) require Wiimotes to play, everything else should work fine with just the gamepad + pro controllers afaik. If you ever want to make use of the Wii backwards compatibility you'll definitely need at least a Wiimote, though.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 14, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Xexre posted:

So I'm contemplating picking up a WiiU this weekend but I'm a little (a lot) WiiU stupid. We'll most likely end up getting MK8, Smash Bros, and Zeldas and Marios of all flavors. I was thinking of just getting the Pro controllers as that's the controller format most of my friends will be used to. I don't have any Wii stuff and don't expect to download any Wii stuff, but aside from that, is there anything I'll be missing out on if I don't get the standard WiiU + Nunchuck combo or can I just go hog wild with Pro controllers?

For note, I did review the OP and the charts, I just want to make sure there are some features in any current or future titles that rely specifically on the nunchuck combo controller.

I believe you don't need the Remote + Nunchuck for anything outside of Wii backwards compatibility, but you can pick up a refurbished Remote Plus + Nunchuck for $20. For being that cheap I picked one up to have another control scheme and to use the remote sideways for NES games because that is the only way to play them. :colbert:

But yeah, I don't think you actually need a remote for any of the Wii U stuff. I've heard really good things about the Pro Controller, but honestly the Gamepad is a heck of a lot lighter and more comfortable than I thought. Will probably pick up a Gamecube controller for Smash, though.

Edit: Welp, nevermind me I'm a moron. Pay attention to this guy. vvvvv

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 14, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Xexre posted:

You still need wiimotes to plug the pro controllers into

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150198

$20 wii remote plus and nunchuk

Is there a difference in Wii U pro controllers and Wii pro controllers?

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 14, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Shyfted One posted:

You still need wiimotes to plug the pro controllers into

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150198

$20 wii remote plus and nunchuk
No, you don't. You're probably getting the Wii Classic Controller Pro confused with the Wii U Pro Controller, the former of which is a Wii controller with a standard DualShock-style layout that plugs into a Wiimote, the latter is the official secondary controller for the Wii U, has the same layout as the gamepad (minus the touchscreen) and connects wirelessly directly to the Wii U.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Can you still use the wii pro controller with wii remote with the Wii U? Or is my wii pro controller just now my permanent PC emulator controller?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The Wiimote is slowly being the bane of my existence, so I suggest you never buy one and never talk to anyone who has one ever again.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shyfted One posted:

Can you still use the wii pro controller with wii remote with the Wii U? Or is my wii pro controller just now my permanent PC emulator controller?

A lot of games where you can use the Wii U Pro Controller also have Wii Classic Controller (Pro) support. It varies from game to game, but most if not all first-party titles support both.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Fuuuuck. $50 for the Wii U pro? Any place that has them cheaper?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Shyfted One posted:

Amazon has them for the amazingly low price of $45

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Shyfted One posted:

Was just about to come here and ask this. I want to get one to play Mario Kart with the wife but $50 is a little steep for me.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I ordered one last week off amazon for 40. I think that's about as cheap as you can find them new.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shyfted One posted:

Play-Asia sells (Japanese SKU) controllers for $25. Controllers are region free. And if you're gonna order them that way, you could look into getting the extended battery for the gamepad since Nintendo's online store stopped selling them a while ago.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

davey4283 posted:

I ordered one last week off amazon for 40. I think that's about as cheap as you can find them new.

I'm looking at some on ebay and they look right but they don't have the WiiU logo on the front of the controller so I'm guessing they are some kind of knockoff? They all seem to ship from Japan or China, not sure if they are compatible?

• Locked thread