Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Nyarlothotep posted:

Everybody knows there are no black people in Belgium. There certainly isn't a huge African country Belgium has close colonial ties with or something.

Belgium has literally an order of magnitude fewer blacks than the UK. Blacks don't make a large percentage of the population in either country, but it's significantly larger in the UK. Belgium's experience with people of African ancestry is mostly limited to murdering half the population of the place they have close colonial ties with and also painting people black at christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Less immigrants. Or maybe not, I've never been to Belgium, I'm just translating.

I realize that that's the implication, I'm just not sure what he's basing it on or why the UK would be special in a European context. France would probably be the most 'diverse' European country in the [American] way that he means.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
Wikipedia tells me the UK has a 3% black population, I don't see how they can have 'an order of magnitude' larger black population unless you're going by absolute numbers

Lektor
May 1, 2013
0.3% seems perfectly possible?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I'm pretty sure that Belgium doesn't divvy up its official population statistics according to skin colour. I suppose you could find sources that tell you how many people of a different nationality other than Belgian live in Belgium, though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wikipedia says Belgium is about 13% non-"western" in origin, whereas the UK, by staggering contrast, is only about 13%.

edit: France is 15%. Truly multicultural.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
All I know is that the US is the country with the most black people in the world, and therefore also the most diverse.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

edit: France is 15%. Truly multicultural.

Source: their rear end, since the census doesn't ask for ethnic background.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phlegmish posted:

In what way is Belgium is less ethnically diverse than Great Britain?

Depends on how different Scots and Northern Irish and Welsh are from the English?

Though it's just hugely difficult to measure diversity. Are ethnically blacks who are fully assimilated into the Flemish culture more different from the white Flemish than the Walloons?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Diseases that cause the most deaths in each country.

Higher-resolution details here

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

How do you get liver cancer, lovely water?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mexico what are you doing? Also as usual a map of Africa makes me really sad.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Depends on how different Scots and Northern Irish and Welsh are from the English?

Though it's just hugely difficult to measure diversity. Are ethnically blacks who are fully assimilated into the Flemish culture more different from the white Flemish than the Walloons?

If I was going to make a map arbitrarily charting out diversity, I'd probably give linguistic diversity, racial diversity, and religious diversity about equal weight. Obviously there's more to diversity than both solely linguistic groupings or solely arbitrary racial groupings.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Sadly, Mongolia has a massive drinking problem.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Didn't realize Thailand had such a big aids problem.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

computer parts posted:

Mycotoxins and drinking.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Didn't realize Thailand had such a big aids problem.

Sex tourism. That's not a bad joke at Thailand's expense, but one of the actual major reasons.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Pakled posted:

I had no idea TB was still that widespread. Also it's a bit surprising to see a map that actually has statistics for North Korea.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Pakled posted:

Porfirio Díaz posted:

¡Pobre México! ¡Tan lejos de Dios y tan cerca de los Estados Unidos!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

oldswitcheroo posted:

I had no idea TB was still that widespread. Also it's a bit surprising to see a map that actually has statistics for North Korea.

I've heard TB was making a bit of a comeback in recent decades. There are drug resistant strains now.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

^^drat yooou

oldswitcheroo posted:

TB is sadly still widespread because it has largely become immune to pencillin due to poor treatment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's up with mexico? Hep C and too much drinking??

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I found this lovely map of ISIL's planned conquests.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

sparatuvs posted:

Here's the Paradox map-games version:

and yes it is real: https://twitter.com/AbuBakrAl_Janab?protected_redirect=true

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

computer parts posted:

It's thought to be more common in east Asia due to aflatoxin, which is a substance which forms in mouldy rice, soyabeans, wheat etc. Rice farmers like to make rice wine/whisky (the name changes depending where you are, although technically it's a rum!) and the process basically consists of mashing rice up and leaving it to ferment, so chances are it forms mould. Storing it in wet conditions - which is half the year - is obviously going to put it at risk as well.

edit: I suspect Thailand doesn't have liver cancer in #1 as their UHC system is so good that aflatoxin poisoning can be caught and treated before it causes cancer, whilst the rest of the region doesn't have it as #1 because their health care is so bad that something else will get you long before liver cancer.

This may also explain why Thailand has AIDS as #1: they've made massive strides in the last ten years with catching preventable cancers before they become killers and their UHC covers 99.5% of the population so most other cancers can be treated reasonably effectively. Until you die of AIDS, obviously.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 14, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sparatuvs posted:

Why are they stopping in Austria?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

Why are they stopping in Austria?

Because the other map shows that they're bringing back the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I think they "only" want to reclaim everything that was at one point in history conquered/threatened by Muslim forces. Vienna was conquered by the Ottomans in 1529 and again in 1683, so there's that. And filling in all of Austria is easier in MS Paint than looking up where exactly the frontline was back then.

If they're going by that, they should have coloured France, Italy and Switzerland as well at the very least, by the way. They were all subject to Saracene raids during the early Middle Ages. Sicily and Southern Italy even had a considerable Arab presence (and sometimes rule) for at least three centuries.

e: Since this is the map thread after all:

The 9th century was a pretty bad time to be a Catholic.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 14, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
These fuckers forgot Corsica existed :argh:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
A map of the legality of Cannabis:

Had no idea that it was legal in North Korea, what's up with that?

Edit: Reading up on it, it seems opium is legal as well: Link

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 14, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurtofan posted:

These fuckers forgot Corsica existed :argh:

And Sardinia :argh:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

System Metternich posted:

I think they "only" want to reclaim everything that was at one point in history conquered/threatened by Muslim forces. Vienna was conquered by the Ottomans in 1529 and again in 1683, so there's that. And filling in all of Austria is easier in MS Paint than looking up where exactly the frontline was back then.

The city was besieged in those years, but never actually conquered. Anyway, compared to that map reclaiming the lost East Roman/Byzantine territories seems like a downright humble goal:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kamrat posted:

A map of the legality of Cannabis:

Had no idea that it was legal in North Korea, what's up with that?

Edit: Reading up on it, it seems opium is legal as well: Link

Weed was a huge part of Korean culture for many centuries. It only became illegal in South Korea in the 60s because the dictator Park Chung-hee was scared of hippies and made a whole bunch of laws about it. NK obviously didn't have that.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Grand Fromage posted:

Weed was a huge part of Korean culture for many centuries. It only became illegal in South Korea in the 60s because the dictator Park Chung-hee was scared of hippies and made a whole bunch of laws about it. NK obviously didn't have that.

Ah okay, so it was never illegal in the first place. That would explain it.

Speaking of South Korea if it was made illegal because of a dictator and as you say it was a huge part of their culture, has there been moves to decriminalize it again?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kopijeger posted:

The city was besieged in those years, but never actually conquered. Anyway, compared to that map reclaiming the lost East Roman/Byzantine territories seems like a downright humble goal:

How the gently caress did I make this mistake? :psyduck: As a historian living in Vienna, no less.

As consolation (to myself), here're the two sieges in map format (there are surprisingly few maps of the first siege, probably because it gets overshadwoed by the second one):

The "Meldemann plan" after the Nuremberg-based publisher Nikolaus Meldemann (?-1552). Immediately after the end of the siege, Meldemann travelled to Vienna to gather topographic material about the battle. This map is supposedly based on the drawings of an unknown Viennese artist who spent most of the siege on top of St Stephen's Cathedral, observing and recording the fighting.

By Leander Anguissola (1652-1720), an Italian mapmaker working for the Austrian military. The lines in the upper right corner depict the Turkish siegeworks threatening the western and north-western walls.

A closer look by Daniel Suttinger (1640-1689/90), a former guardsman of the city turned engineer.

This map shows the Ottoman artillery firing at the city

This map zooms out a bit, showing the besieged city and its destroyed surroundings.

e: Just a couple of hundred metres from where I live is the Türkenschanzpark, a park where in both sieges the Otoomans erected small fortifications of their own. Funny to imagine how my quiet street used to be a battleground.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 14, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kamrat posted:

Ah okay, so it was never illegal in the first place. That would explain it.

Speaking of South Korea if it was made illegal because of a dictator and as you say it was a huge part of their culture, has there been moves to decriminalize it again?

No. I've never met a Korean who even knew it had been a part of Korean culture, and my friends all deny it when asked even though it's extensively documented through writing, art, and archaeology. And there's a native Korean word for it; typically when something is imported from Foreign they use a Koreanized English word. A non-drug example, all herb names are English except for cilantro (gosu in Korean), because that is the one herb that Korean cuisine used to use.

Koreans are taught weed will destroy your life instantly and turn you into a psycho, Reefer Madness essentially, and most believe it because there's no alternate point of view. It is so illegal you can be imprisoned for smoking in a different country where it is legal, then coming back here and failing a drug test. Just being accused of it can potentially destroy your life. As a foreign resident, if you admit to ever having used it, you can't get a visa or job.

This in a country that buried its kings with all they needed in the afterlife, which included giant bales of weed. Japanese art would indicate a ship came from Korea by carving a giant High Times :2bong: pot leaf on it. 40 years on from PCH's dictatorship and 95%+ of Koreans would say weed has always been illegal and never existed here. It's amazing what you can accomplish when there are no alternate views in your dictatorship.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Farecoal posted:

Here's the Paradox map-games version:

and yes it is real: https://twitter.com/AbuBakrAl_Janab?protected_redirect=true

With all that cash they supposedly grabbed in Mosul I hope they can afford Victoria 2 and the A Heart of Darkness expansion now.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

No. I've never met a Korean who even knew it had been a part of Korean culture, and my friends all deny it when asked even though it's extensively documented through writing, art, and archaeology. And there's a native Korean word for it; typically when something is imported from Foreign they use a Koreanized English word. A non-drug example, all herb names are English except for cilantro (gosu in Korean), because that is the one herb that Korean cuisine used to use.

Koreans are taught weed will destroy your life instantly and turn you into a psycho, Reefer Madness essentially, and most believe it because there's no alternate point of view. It is so illegal you can be imprisoned for smoking in a different country where it is legal, then coming back here and failing a drug test. Just being accused of it can potentially destroy your life. As a foreign resident, if you admit to ever having used it, you can't get a visa or job.

This in a country that buried its kings with all they needed in the afterlife, which included giant bales of weed. Japanese art would indicate a ship came from Korea by carving a giant High Times :2bong: pot leaf on it. 40 years on from PCH's dictatorship and 95%+ of Koreans would say weed has always been illegal and never existed here. It's amazing what you can accomplish when there are no alternate views in your dictatorship.

You'd think at least some old people passed the knowledge along during the dictatorship but apparently they censored it pretty well.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Davincie posted:

You'd think at least some old people passed the knowledge along during the dictatorship but apparently they censored it pretty well.

Well, people with vocal opposing viewpoints are probably not around anymore, since it was a dictatorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Davincie posted:

It's amazing for having not been that long ago. I suspect its use had declined already, but finding any kind of real information about it in the 20th century is so full of propaganda that it's basically impossible.

People have an impressive capacity to forget though. Another Park era thing is that everyone leaves the windows open while the heat is on in winter. This is now a weird Chinese medicine/bad air makes you sick/grandma said thing and it's hard to have any kind of real discussion about, but it originated in the 60s because the old Korean heating systems used coal, so people dropped like flies all winter due to carbon monoxide poisoning. So the government made it a law to keep a window open, which largely eliminated the problem. Ask a hundred Koreans about this history and the origins of the open window letting all the loving heat out and I'd be shocked if two of them knew it. It's not taught and so the knowledge is just gone.

lovely history education, a plague all around the world.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 14, 2014