Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My internet got fried by lightning the other day so I sat down and made a dog deck for lack of better things to do.

The thing is, somehow I've been winning with this stupid thing, a lot. I've even beaten a decent number of shadoll decks with it. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Naturia is my favorite archetype, so I'm pretty glad they got a new card. I wanna try out a Naturia/Traptrix deck at some point whenever it gets put into YGOpro.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Vanilla decks can be pretty hilarious at times. Might have to try and find my old vanilla lockdown deck. I think it used some Tyrant cards.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Zackcat posted:

Please be X-Sabers. I need some new support.

Get hype:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

X-Sabers versus Heavyweight Samurai's, poo poo is about to go down. :parrot:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Has YuGiOh4RealMen ever been linked in this thread? Cause if so, it's gonna be at least one more time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0umMCk4vJno

The ending. :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yugioh4RealMen is great. That's not the silliest Utopia gimmick he has created though. That crown belongs to the following deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZKPXm6GcGM

The last duel is by far the best. That inferno tempest player got the best possible hand that deck can get and he still lost. :swoon:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I have a weaknes for his Chin Beat deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlwjOxpqZLk

:v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, Gongenzaka? I expected Sora. I wonder how they're justifying a person who isn't a part of You Show Duel School taking place in a duel for students of You Show Duel School, and even moreso how he's convincing Sora to let him fight instead.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Hype train activated.

My first regional tops were with X-sabers during Cat Format. So the deck has a special place in my heart. I still have my original sets of everything from when Emmers were like 80 and all that poo poo. The deck just needs a more proactive way to gather combo pieces; Darksoul just doesn't cut it in todays YGO.

My current build I play abuses the old Gottoms loop with some newer stuff like Floatress, Phantom Fortress Enterblathnir and Soul Charge.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 12, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I seriously think that rescue kitten should come back as limited. I don't think there's a single meta deck except maybe madolches that could abuse it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

I seriously think that rescue kitten should come back as limited. I don't think there's a single meta deck except maybe madolches that could abuse it.

And that's why it will never come back :v:

In theory a lot of the banned cards can become limited without much trouble since the meta evolved beyond them, an errata could fix most of them but then there's a lot of cards that could abuse loopholes with them and rear end in a top hat players making a return impossible.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I remember an episode of GX where a Tarzan like student stole special egg sandwiches :psyduck:

See, this is something I missed when I first watched GX and I think a lot of the people who dislike it missed it too.

GX is a total parody of the "Card Games Are Serious Business" thing of the original. It takes that entire, melodramatic tone of the original and flips it on its head by taking the serious business to the next level.

That Tarzan kid you mentioned? He literally dropped out of school and lived in the wilderness on his own for a year to be better at card games.
A new set of rare cards is delivered to Duel Academy by an armed guard of Navy and Air Force that fought off espionage and attack subs.
There is a monkey a bunch of scientists taught how to duel. (also the monkey is named "Wheeler" in the dub)
Die; Academy was founded in part to protect three cards that can destroy the world.
Kaiba literally sent cards into outer space because, if there are aliens, they need to know how to duel.

I've read a lot of people in this thread and elsewhere who think Season 3 or 4 was GX at its best. I'd disagree. I think GX Season 2 is the best because it has a more intriguing story, better characters and yet it still maintains that unique GX charm by being completely insane. The hero literally trips balls at one point and chats it up with a humanoid dolphin about how he has to save the world from aliens. An alien that plans to blow up the Earth with a satelite that this random prince from this never-mentioned-before country gives him the keys to when he loses a card game.

And really, there is no better GX villain than Sartorius. He's easily my favorite YGO villain after Pegasus. Like Pegasus, he has a cool and different deck, focused entirely on making you destroy yourself since he can see the future and uses Arcana Force cards almost exclusively. He got a Zero Turn Kill.

So...yeah. I'm re-watching GX right now. I love it a lot more than I did the first time simply because I get where they are coming from. GX, especially in the dub, was being an Abridged Series long before most of the Internet in terms of its self-awareness.
(actual quote from Grandpa Moto in the dub when Jaden meets him)
"Chin up! So your friends got captured by an evil psychopath who's plotting world domination. not to worry. That happened to me several times."

Although classic Yugioh still has the best dub simply because it has dub Pegasus. His dub VA is a huge reason Pegasus is my favorite YGO villain. He has to be one of the best performances I've ever heard in any English dub. Also he can sing!

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 13, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

On the subject of GX...

New Crystal Beast support when, Konami? I know everyone keeps going on about it, but I really do like the way Crystal Beasts play, and I like them from an aesthetic standpoint too. It'd be nice if they could get a couple new pieces of support to help them keep up with all this crazy newer stuff in the game.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I'm not exactly certain that the GX dub referenced the abridged series. The dubbers had come off of gag shows like Ultimate Muscle and probably felt like continuing the trend for the GX dub.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I wasn't sure when YGO Abridged started. I just meant that GX's dub is often compared to it, especially come the start of Season 3.

EDIT:
The Top Ten Craziest Episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh GX

Also my favorite quote for "Monkey See, Monkey Duel" was:
Jaden: Ready or not, let’s duel!
Wheeler the Dueling Monkey: Duel!
Syrus: Whoa, it talks?!
Head Scientist: Please! That would be COMPLETELY unrealistic. His helmet reads his mind and talks for him.

Xoidanor posted:

There's even an episode in season 4 where they hold a tag team tournament and she gets paired up with Jaden. The point of the episode is that he completely ignores every card she puts on the field and just wins on his own which pisses her off immensely. I think the writers were completely aware at that point that they kinda forgot about her in the earlier seasons. :v:

Does the time she was brainwashed in Season 2 and used that nifty White Night deck and gave Jaden a decent duel count as a good showing for her? Or is it even worse that she was only kinda useful when she was mind-controlled?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 13, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Does the time she was brainwashed in Season 2 and used that nifty White Night deck and gave Jaden a decent duel count as a good showing for her? Or is it even worse that she was only kinda useful when she was mind-controlled?

That episode was the last episode focused on her until the mentioned tag team one in season 4 so yeah. Season 3 was really long and she was never really in the forefront of any of the episodes. She and Bastion were both equally forgotten, they were still there in the background but they never got any episodes focused on them.

EDIT: That top 10 list is great. :allears:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 13, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I was also irritated at Alexis getting sidelined in Season 3 because now we have Blair back. Who thought "remember that one character who was only in a single episode from the first season? Why don't we bring her back in season 3!"

I guess it's like TVTropes said, it's a NGE reference. Asuka and Rei, the love interests.

And Jesse is Kaworu...only not nearly as good.

Ya know I was honestly thinking about just watching up to the end of Season 2 since it's my favorite and stopping there but after reading that list, I HAVE to re-watch Season 3.

Jesse: Remember what Jim said? About the weird energy? And how its being caused by our bio bands?
Syrus: I’ve been saying that all along!
Alexis: You know Jim brings up a good point. I never thought of that.
Syrus: I did. But no one listens to me. I’m just the wimpy side-kick who’s here for everyone’s amusement. I’d never actually have an idea that could help move the plot along.
Alexis: Anyway, getting back to Jim’s idea...

I just remember the tone shift was jarring as gently caress. It is effective I must admit but it just was really offputting when I watched it a couple years ago.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The episode with Rei was the best one of season 1, so the idea itself was fine, the only problem is they brought her back and then never did anything with her.

I wanna know what the rest of that drat Egg archetype does, dangit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I guess I should talk/ask about this here now. I'm doing a GX re-watch as part of a sort of Yu-Gi-Oh!-athon. I've only seen the original series (Duel Monsters) and GX and I've never seen any of 5D's or Zexal. I know Zexal isn't that popular but, ya know, I just watched Gundam SEED Destiny for the first time. I fear no evil or anime.

But anyway, I'm inquiring as to the dubs of these shows. I only watch English dubs because I don't understand Japanese and I can't follow subs well due to my eyesight being poo poo. Is the stuff that was never dubbed in 5D's a serious loss? I was able to enjoy GX well enough even though Season 4 was never dubbed so I was hoping it's a similar situation.

Also I just want to say this - Faulconer Production's score has helped DBZ sort of stand the test of time for some people. It certainly holds up better than a lot of the early Funimation voice-acting. In a similar vain, I wish more people appreciated Yugioh's dub for the soundtrack if nothing else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TabkjeN7H1A

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They stopped dubbing everything after 3 seasons due to ratings and other stuff.
Season 4 was kinda lovely, I thought, so you don't miss much there, and they show most of the episodes anyway.
Season 5 was decent except for the whole I'M YOU NO WAIT I'M NOT fake-out plot twist, and they dubbed 2 out of the 20 episodes... the first two.

I'd say stop after Season 3, which was a decent end for the series anyway, if I remember right (S3 was the Dark Signer season right?)

Edit: Nevermind, that arc was season 2. Seasons 1 and 2 are solid, while the later ones were kinda crap. (Season 3 mostly set up the last two seasons, looks like.)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 13, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The first two seasons are the best, and the beginning of season 3 is filled with monster of the week episodes. Don't get me wrong, some of them are amazing and hilarious. But... there are lots of bad ones too. I don't remember Season 4 that well, but the last half of season 5 had some cool duels so that's worth a watch. Z-One wasn't as cool as he could have been, but he was still a more interesting villian than a bunch of the others in the franchise. Even if you don't watch past season 2, give a listen to the openings, endings, and insert songs cause they're mostly (all?) really good. Especially the ones by Masaaki Endoh, a butt rock god.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Watch 5D's until episode 64 (I dunno if this is season 1 or season 2 or whatever. I call everything up 'til 64 "part 1" and everything after "part 2" personally), then keep going if you want but lower your expectations by like. A lot. Speaking personally, I think part 1 of the show is the best in the franchise and part 2 is preeeettty close to the worst.

Except for the Endoh Masaaki parts. Those are pretty sweet.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Maybe not all of Part 2, but the WRGP arc is definitely {in my opinion} the worst arc in the franchise. The loving Zexal tournament arc was more palatable than that poo poo.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

if a Rare Hunter beat you in a game what would be your rare signature card you would have to give up? I think mine would be black luster soldier I think.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The rarest card I currently run is Alucard, so probably that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I remember Aster was one of my favorite GX characters but holy hell, I totally forgot that he was Dueling Batman. If you are a criminal, if you are caught in the dead of night, he WILL defeat you in a card game in the name of justice!

So he's totally Kaiba. Well there are three Kaiba Clones in GX. (although all three of them really do distinguish themselves beyond this) Is Kaiba Clone like a Char Clone for the Gundam series? Is there a Kaiba in every Yugioh series? I'll have a Kaiba to look forward to in 5D's and ZEXAL and ARC-V? (whenever it's dubbed)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My Noble Knight Medraut playset :v:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I found this in my facebook feed this morning.

2 Adults arrested for stealing 320 Yu-Gi-Oh cards

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mateo360 posted:

I found this in my facebook feed this morning.

2 Adults arrested for stealing 320 Yu-Gi-Oh cards

Hey, when you've been out of the loop for a few years, that's the only way you can get back without dropping a few hundred bucks. Funny thing is, I bet those cards would be worth 3 times as much if they were non-OCG (loving OCG commons being released as $300 Secrets :().

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

So he's totally Kaiba. Well there are three Kaiba Clones in GX. (although all three of them really do distinguish themselves beyond this) Is Kaiba Clone like a Char Clone for the Gundam series? Is there a Kaiba in every Yugioh series? I'll have a Kaiba to look forward to in 5D's and ZEXAL and ARC-V? (whenever it's dubbed)

It's not a YGO series without a Kaiba clone. 5D's has a super-hammy one in the form of Jack, ZeXal has the most obvious clone in Kaito (Little brother he fights for? Check. Rival? Check. White coat? Check. 3000/2500 dragon with a name like "X Eyes X Dragon", that then turns into a three-headed version of the same? Check). Arc-V hasn't shown a Kaiba yet, though Reiji will blatantly be one in due time (no 3000/2500 dragon revealed yet though).

Perhaps what I find most interesting is that since GX usually the Kaiba character tends to have a good enough relationship with the hero, once they get past their initial hate for each other. In GX, Manjoume and Judai are obviously close, despite the former's insistance in this not being the case; in 5D's Yusei and Jack are best friends, in ZeXal Kaito forms part of the power trio of ZeXal II alongside Shark and Yuma. Contrast with the original Kaiba, who, while getting sort of more friendly with the twerps (because you can't really get less friendly than trying to murder them all in the name of petty revenge), he's still nowhere near their friend.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rudoku posted:

Hey, when you've been out of the loop for a few years, that's the only way you can get back without dropping a few hundred bucks. Funny thing is, I bet those cards would be worth 3 times as much if they were non-OCG (loving OCG commons being released as $300 Secrets :().

I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often. Considering how insanely card value for meta decks tends to inflate pro players cards must be worth thousands of dollars.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The real card thieves who should be arrested are the assholes that steal the promo cards out of the back of the manga without paying for it, making the only way to get the card is ordering the card online for 50 loving dollars. :argh:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My Noble Knight Medraut playset :v:

My friend HATES every time they come out with a new Noble Knight card because he thinks it's going to lead to a mass ban of Noble Knights.

In an unrelated note, I hope they come out with more constellars soon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senerio posted:

My friend HATES every time they come out with a new Noble Knight card because he thinks it's going to lead to a mass ban of Noble Knights.

In an unrelated note, I hope they come out with more constellars soon.

He isn't that wrong though, on a slower format the NK would utterly destroy everyone. The field and the new monsters are pretty good and I wouldn't surprised if with their final support next set Avalon becomes playable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm sorry to distract from evil card-stealing action, especially with another franchise, but...

We seem to be hitting the second part of Legion Mate. With Naoki getting a new Legion in Big Bang Knuckle Buster/Slash Buster (who have an interesting effect but overall don't change much aesthetically, which is kind of boring), Kamui probably getting a new one as well (having gone through the same training as Naoki), Kai definitely getting a new one soon (probably next episode, considering it is Kai's Will and all), that only leaves Misaki (who might go back to Oracle Think Tank, considering there's that new CEO Amaterasu Legion that would fit her perfectly, or she might get an all-new one), and most importantly, this loving beautiful new opening. I honestly can't wait, while Legion Mate hasn't been as good as Link Joker and it suffers from rather incompetent heroes and a conflict that could probably be solved by people just talking, it still has lots of potential and I really want to see where this goes, even moreso since apparently there's already confirmation that Aichi's entering the field with Link Joker, the first time he's playing a non-United Sanctuary deck (and Link Joker, of all things), and I seriously wonder what he's fielding for Legion (with high hopes for a Link Joker Blaster Blade)

And yet, I have to ask Bushiroad for our fifth main. Miwa, what the hell are you doing? Apart from nothing, I mean. He even skipped the chance of doing something this episode! C'mon, there's a new Kagero Legion coming out, it's the time to make yourself the main character the opening says you are!

To end this weird rant, Leon is still great and I'm not surprised at all he didn't forget, being Leon and all. He even got a cool Aqua Force Legion (not like I expected otherwise), though I seriously wish it had used a new version of Maelstrom instead of Tetra Drive Dragon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I watched the first series of Yugioh dubbed back when it was a thing, and saw a few eps of GX, but after that I kinda fell out of love with the series. Tonight we watched the first two eps of Arc-V on a whim.

Do all the duels go like that first one? Because that was so amazingly bullshit that it was really entertaining. The idea of pulling an entire type of summon out of your rear end is so mind boggling that it's just awesome.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

YGO has gotten pretty bullshit these days. Don't really need to break the rules to have crazy duels. And usually duels later on the series tend to have even more magical cards out of nowhere.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm not sure what the Buster versions of the Big Bang duo does, but it can apparently directly attack rearguards? And that's neat and all, but if you use Big Bang Knuckle with Fighting Dracokid, you've got the means to purge most of the field right there: CB2 to activate Big Bang Knuckle, use Fighting Dracokid, and then when you kill the rearguards with your "rar hit everybody" attack just CB2 again to take down the boosters. If you can pick which four Big Bang Buster hits, however, then suddenly that gets really nice, because you can activate it, swing at the vanguard and all three boosters, and then use your rearguards to take down their rearguards. The field is now empty and you don't have too much to worry about.

Kamui is not getting a new deck. He's already using a Legion from BT16, and BT17 has no Nova Grappler support. So unless Bushiroad is going to go SURPRISE EXTRA BOOSTER, they'll probably just show off Phoenix Wing or something. Or he'll do some shenanigans like "Break Ride with Mega Flare over Mond Blaukluger, swing with all rearguards, attack with Mega Flare and activate the extra crit and then use Mond to restand everybody, eat a Cat Butler to restand his VG, do all that again." But that would require going outside of archetype to do something potent and interesting, and they never do that. Plus it would require them to acknowledge Cat Butler, which is kind of embarassingly strong and also from Comic Style, which is awful.

Miwa is just going to be a +1 this season, I assume, which is too bad. There is a new Kagero legion, but Kai is getting it. He did lose his Royal Paladin deck, after all, which is just as well because of how bad he was with it.

I'm especially curious what this new Tetra Burst Dragon does, other than dickride Tetra Drive while being nowhere near as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Momomo posted:

So I watched the first series of Yugioh dubbed back when it was a thing, and saw a few eps of GX, but after that I kinda fell out of love with the series. Tonight we watched the first two eps of Arc-V on a whim.

Do all the duels go like that first one? Because that was so amazingly bullshit that it was really entertaining. The idea of pulling an entire type of summon out of your rear end is so mind boggling that it's just awesome.

Do you have any plans to go back and watch the other series? I know 5D's has a lot of aupporters who argue it is just as god, if not better, than anything in the original.

I personally consider GX Season 2 to be right up there and just as good as anything in the first anime. (well, it's the second, but it's the first to us) An example why Season 2 is amazing.

• Locked thread