Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Would a Celeron 1037U or Celeron G1820 be a good upgrade over my ancient E5200 MCE box for transcoding the MPEG-2 MCE recordings to tablets and Rokus via Plex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
So I'm having some issues with my newly built HTPC. It's my first build from scratch but I have done add-ons before so I have some experience. Everything turns on and I can get to BIOS just fine, but I can't get windows to boot from my HDD. I had a previous version of windows already on it (7) and I can't get it to boot up from there. Do I need to boot from USB and clear the old HDD and start fresh? I have the boot priority to select the HDD first. There are some new things I have no experience with such as UEFI and Legacy settings so maybe I just have a HDD thats too old? Any help is appreciated.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Dale Meets Wall posted:

So I'm having some issues with my newly built HTPC. It's my first build from scratch but I have done add-ons before so I have some experience. Everything turns on and I can get to BIOS just fine, but I can't get windows to boot from my HDD. I had a previous version of windows already on it (7) and I can't get it to boot up from there. Do I need to boot from USB and clear the old HDD and start fresh? I have the boot priority to select the HDD first. There are some new things I have no experience with such as UEFI and Legacy settings so maybe I just have a HDD thats too old? Any help is appreciated.

So if you turn it on and just let it go through the boot sequence, what does it go to? Does it give you an option to boot or does it just sit there? If you had Windows 7 on the hard drive previously and you've not reinstalled it or a new OS, it would just sit there. Basically, it's looking for your previous components and when it doesn't find them, it fails.

Best thing you can do if this is the case is to re-run the Windows 7 (or 8) install process from USB or dvd/bluray drive. You'll want to format the drive and install windows again.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah that's exactly what it's doing. I was hoping it would just be plug and play. I figure I'd have to reformat and install windows all over again after digging into it a bit more. I'm working on creating a bootable external as I have no optical drive or flash drive.

Edit:Everything is working now, just need to reinstall everything. thanks

Dale Meets Wall fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 26, 2014

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a problem. I can't play movies that use DTS HD Master Audio. I have a Zotac AD10, Windows 8, still running XBMC 12, and a Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver. I have the audio options in XBMC set to HDMI and have the HD audio option enabled. I'm using the DirectSound options to use the AMD HD Audio thing from the Zotac.

When I play the movie it chugs along in slow motion without any audio. The receiver displays that it's playing in Stereo but I think it should display the correct HD audio codec. If I switch the sound options to Optical (not how it's physically connected though) then the receiver switches to DTS and the movie plays, but the video quality looks to take a hit and I'm sure the audio does too.

Haven't really been able to find a good solution online. My next move was to update XBMC.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Upgrading XBMC should fix it - the audio system has been reworked and the passthrough options are now off by default because a lot of people were having problems.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a giant rear end desktop computer that I'm currently only using as a torrent box / Plex server. I am thinking of transferring the mobo/CPU/RAM from it's current giant rear end case to a more shelf component type case, rather than building a new HTPC. Anyone have any recommendations? Would need to be able to contain a full size ATX motherboard and processor. It currently has a Radeon HD5450 graphics card too, so I'd like to be able to house that as well. Is Silverstone still the go-to for HTPC cases?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Medullah posted:

I have a giant rear end desktop computer that I'm currently only using as a torrent box / Plex server. I am thinking of transferring the mobo/CPU/RAM from it's current giant rear end case to a more shelf component type case, rather than building a new HTPC. Anyone have any recommendations? Would need to be able to contain a full size ATX motherboard and processor. It currently has a Radeon HD5450 graphics card too, so I'd like to be able to house that as well. Is Silverstone still the go-to for HTPC cases?

Silverstone is still prob your best bet. Another option might be the node 605 from fractal-design.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Krailor posted:

Silverstone is still prob your best bet. Another option might be the node 605 from fractal-design.

I use the Node 605 and as far as I am concerned it is the only option. Fractal cases are great and this one is no exception.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Ixian posted:

I use the Node 605 and as far as I am concerned it is the only option. Fractal cases are great and this one is no exception.

The page says it has a slim ODD bay, but I don't see it in the pictures, is it on the side or something

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

Upgrading XBMC should fix it - the audio system has been reworked and the passthrough options are now off by default because a lot of people were having problems.

Thanks that worked.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

The Milkman posted:

The page says it has a slim ODD bay, but I don't see it in the pictures, is it on the side or something

It's hidden behind the hinged panel at the bottom. If you look at the second picture on their website that shows the front I/O ports, you can see it on the left.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

GokieKS posted:

It's hidden behind the hinged panel at the bottom. If you look at the second picture on their website that shows the front I/O ports, you can see it on the left.

Ah I see it now. Thanks. Why is it still so hard to find a htpc case that belongs in a ht

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I think it probably just comes down to it being a pretty niche market, and there's not that many companies that really seem interesting in making tons of models that may not sell all that many units. Silverstone is definitely a company that does (not just with HTPC cases, but also other weird off the wall designs), so it's not really surprising that they offer probably the most comprehensive line of HTPC cases around. I'm a big fan of their products, because I like the understated elegant design most of their higher-end products have, they're almost always well-built (if not necessarily easy to build in), and the aforementioned tendency to try new things in case design, so it works fine for me - I'm actually getting the ML07 to put the MB/CPU from my old hackintosh (which was in a FT03 Mini) in and use as an HTPC.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 29, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Yeah, it's a niche market. And for big ATX motherboards it's a niche inside a niche. It's a minor miracle the Node exists at all - though it's big (because it has to be for that MB) it's designed really well, fits in perfectly with other A/V components, and is quiet.

My favorite part is it was designed to be no deeper than it needs to be - a common problem with "HTPC" cases is they stick out a little on many shelves because front to back they are too deep. The Node is the only case it's size I've found that isn't like that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingKapalone posted:

I have a problem. I can't play movies that use DTS HD Master Audio. I have a Zotac AD10, Windows 8, still running XBMC 12, and a Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver. I have the audio options in XBMC set to HDMI and have the HD audio option enabled. I'm using the DirectSound options to use the AMD HD Audio thing from the Zotac.

When I play the movie it chugs along in slow motion without any audio. The receiver displays that it's playing in Stereo but I think it should display the correct HD audio codec. If I switch the sound options to Optical (not how it's physically connected though) then the receiver switches to DTS and the movie plays, but the video quality looks to take a hit and I'm sure the audio does too.

Haven't really been able to find a good solution online. My next move was to update XBMC.

Xbmc used to do this for me (stuttering video etc) if I was attempting to play HD audio tracks like DTS HD while NOT using pass through ie down sampling to stereo.

Enable pass through and allow xbmc to bitstream to your receiver. This should fix it. Also you may want to use wasapi instead of direct sound. It usually seems to perform better.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Quick question regarding emulation. My HTPC is built very budgeted so I didn't go with a graphics card and bought a pretty cheap processor. I'm able to play movies and most things fine, but with PCSX2 I'm not able to play at full speed. I lag from anywhere from 30-50 FPS. I've looked up all sorts of speed hacks for slow processors (down to 1.8ghz from ~2009) but even these have graphics cards. My question is since it seems my processor is unable to play at normal frame rates, would adding a graphics card solve this problem? If so, what would a decent budget graphics card typically run me? The processor I have is Intel G1840

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Emulation (especially as you get into the PS2 and Wii) is VERY heavily CPU bound. It's pretty much not worth it to even try on a Celeron without speedhacks enabled, and even then it won't guarantee anything. A dedicated graphics card will improve performance in some ways, but mostly in the form of how high of a resolution you can use, and if you can use texture upscaling. You're going to want at least an i3, preferably i5, to get decent performance out of something that recent.

Edit: I should note, it's not impossible to get good performance with weaker stuff. I'm running a Core 2 Q6600, and can do most PS2 stuff just fine. But if you're buying Haswell, i3 is the minimum respectable line.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Okay that's what I was thinking the other option would be. I originally was looking at an i3/i5 but decided to give the celeron a shot for an "econobox" HTPC. I figured if it can emulate the newer consoles then great, but it wasn't on my list of needs so didn't' warrant the extra cost. Thanks.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of the NUCs, is it true the Celeron ones dont do HW decoding or at least don't do it well?

I think i'm finally gonna test out one of these bad boys and see what their like. Wanted to the try the economy Celeron ones and see if its viable.

Also what is the SKU of the latest celeron NUC? so many version on amazon...

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just got one. Intel NUC BOXDN2820FYKH0 Celeron N2820
I put 4gb of ram and a 120gb SSD.
I use it for XBMC and Netflix. It works fantastic for both and runs Windows 8.1 like a champ. I would even use this machine as a desktop for doing office work or web browsing. It's amazing how powerful a low power machine like this is these days.

I don't know if it's doing decoding in hardware or software but it plays HD content fine.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of the NUCs, is it true the Celeron ones dont do HW decoding or at least don't do it well?

No, I don't think that's true. Where did you hear that?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Read it on what was a probably an early review. Sounds awesome, gonna try it out.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I assume he's referring to Quick Sync, which was not enabled on Pentium / Celeron parts until a driver update added support for some of them, but which doesn't include the Celeron models used in the NUC.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Ixian posted:

The Silverstone LC17 is a great case if you have the time to customise it. I replaced all of the case fans and was able to suspend four hard drives using bungee cord inside it (which was a necessity as they were otherwise screwed directly into the steel frame - vibrations ahoy). The system is inaudible except when there is total silence in the room.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

GokieKS posted:

I assume he's referring to Quick Sync, which was not enabled on Pentium / Celeron parts until a driver update added support for some of them, but which doesn't include the Celeron models used in the NUC.

Ah. In that case, no, you don't need Quick Sync to decode video in hardware on the HD4000 GPUs.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

TomR posted:

I just got one. Intel NUC BOXDN2820FYKH0 Celeron N2820
I put 4gb of ram and a 120gb SSD.
I use it for XBMC and Netflix. It works fantastic for both and runs Windows 8.1 like a champ. I would even use this machine as a desktop for doing office work or web browsing. It's amazing how powerful a low power machine like this is these days.

I don't know if it's doing decoding in hardware or software but it plays HD content fine.

To be clear, this isn't the newest Bay Trail ones? This is a dual core from what I can tell.

It still works well?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yes it's a dual core Bay Trail. Intel hasn't released a newer Celeron NUC as far as I know. It works great. Really great. My desktop is an Ivy Bridge i5 at 4.2ghz with 16gb of ram and the only thing that I have noticed the dual core Celeron being slow at was unzipping compressed files. And I mean it's not slow, it just isn't instant like my main desktop. None of the skins I have tried in XBMC have shown any lag at all. It's very responsive. I can watch the highest bitrate HD stuff I have no problems.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

TomR posted:

Yes it's a dual core Bay Trail. Intel hasn't released a newer Celeron NUC as far as I know. It works great. Really great. My desktop is an Ivy Bridge i5 at 4.2ghz with 16gb of ram and the only thing that I have noticed the dual core Celeron being slow at was unzipping compressed files. And I mean it's not slow, it just isn't instant like my main desktop. None of the skins I have tried in XBMC have shown any lag at all. It's very responsive. I can watch the highest bitrate HD stuff I have no problems.

Would you care to link me to the listing you bought? Was it Amazon? Did it have prime?

Also if you dont mind me asking, which HDD and which ram did you use?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This is where I got mine. I'm in Canada though http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-nuc-boxdn2820fykh0-celeron-n2820-80-94184.htm
I just went on pcpartpicker.com and found the cheapest single 4gb SODIMM that was 1.35 volts. Got the cheapest non garbage SSD as well. It was 120GB but I don't think you need anywhere near that for a media computer if you use networked storage.

Edit: That's the SSD I got too. My NUC came with a 2GB flash drive with a linux install on it, nice touch but I didn't use it. Also it's a good idea to flash to the latest firmware too.

TomR fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I ended up getting on Amazon for what i think is the market price and then got decent ram and got the cheapest recommended ssd from the ssd thread (PNY XLR8) at 120 gb.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I was seriously considering buying the new fanless Gigabyte Brix whenever it becomes available. I'm sure the Bay Trail Celeron could handle XBMC easily. But I was also interested in Steam home streaming and was wondering if I should go with an i3 and active cooling instead.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Well, the version of the NUC I have there is a CPU fan. I also have a plasma TV. If I stand close enough to my entertainment center to hear the fan in the NUC I can hear the buzz from the TV, and the TV is louder. This is with my head inside of 24" mind you.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
That's cool, but the problem with fans is that three years down the road there's gonna be dirt in there or some sort of lubrication problem that will cause the fan to spin much louder than before. And doing something about it with a form factor like that would be a huge pain.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Fair enough, but the NUC is actually really easy to work on. You take out the 4 screws and the whole thing comes out in layers. Really the only issue would be if you could get a replacement fan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've had my own HTPC for awhile, and recently got into cablecard ethernet-based tuner (specifically the HD Homerun Prime).

Been trying to talk the rest of the family into ditching the cable boxes - I pay the cable bill, and the boxes alone are running about $50/mo.

Found an old Dell GX280 in the alley next to a neighbors trash, sans RAM or HDD (P4 2.8 version). It has a paltry 2GB in it for now and an old WD Raptor SATA 38GB I had sitting around, plus my old video card (Geforce GT520 - I was surprised to see a PCIx slot in a PC this old), and a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium I had left over. It's only 32 bit, but I'll still toss another 2GB in it eventually - Komputerbay sells dirt cheap DDR2 on Amazon.

Right now, it's hooked up to our guest bedroom TV (27" 720p LCD), and aside from being a bit sluggish to start WMC, works great. Even over wifi, watching TV on it is generally clear (you'll see an occasional pixel here and there on fast moving scenes, I blame that more on the lack of RAM though). Changing channels is faster than these piece of poo poo boxes Verizon has started rolling out.

I think the other TVs will eventually get low end NUCs (unless I can find more ancient PCs next to trashcans). I have one active HDHR Prime, and another one I purchased from a forums member (don't have a cablecard for it yet) - between the two, that should be enough for the 4 TVs in the house, including the occasional recording.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I bought this fanless Celeron a while ago from AliExpress. It works pretty well, except it doesn't support standby and WoL properly (newer revisions of the mainboard apparently fixed this, I guess you could ask the dealer).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You can get fanless Bay Trail based systems without buying from AliExpress now....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KR0QHXW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJF0XUO

Though for my purposes I have never found a case that supports fanlessness *and* an expansion card and 3.5" hard drives, so I'm going to have to deal with at least one fan when I try to build a small Bay Trail J1900 Celeron MCE/HTPC box.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Ah, the Gigabyte one looks nice. It's still going to end up being somewhat more expensive than the Chinese variant when you factor in the RAM and so on, but I guess it's not a huge difference (and I'm assuming a whole lot less hassle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Got a NUC up and running. I was really disappointed to learn that there is no native Netflix ability for Linux. I tried out the workarounds, and although they work... it was kinda choppy for me and not really watchable in action scenes. Oh well. Good thing I still had a good windows 7 key laying around.